BMW gel battery charger & K1200GT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Aug 14th, 2009, 11:20 am Thread Starter

BMW gel battery charger & K1200GT

Hello,
I recently purchased a used BMW battery charger (model 71 60 7 688 865) for my 2007 K1200GT. I've notice it will not charge the battery unless I cycle the ignition key. None of the charge "definition" lights come on until the key is cycled. The charger appears to charge to the green 3/3 reading; however, turns off after that. I have never seen the charge definition light come on after that (although the power light in the lower left hand corner always remains on). It there something wrong with the charger or is it the accessory plug?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Chad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Aug 14th, 2009, 12:05 pm

Re: BMW gel battery charger & K1200GT

A colossal waste of money. Buy the Battery Tender Jr. for about $25, hook it direct to the battery (easy on the GT, under the little cover in front of the fuel filler) and ferget about it.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender.../dp/B000CITK8S

Ride fast. Take chances.

2008 K1200GT
2004 Harley Road Glide "Kapo"

Last edited by kapod2t; Aug 14th, 2009 at 12:16 pm.
post #3 of 11 Old Aug 14th, 2009, 1:05 pm Thread Starter

I agree, and have a battery tender; however, the dealer is "claiming" the gel battery needs their BMW proprietary charger.

post #4 of 11 Old Aug 14th, 2009, 1:20 pm

Yeah, sure. Note the age of my oldest child (92 Dyna). All my bikes have a gel battery, use a Battery Tender Jr. I replace the batteries every 4 years and have never had a dead one. What more do you want?

Can you say big dealer bucks?

Ride fast. Take chances.

2008 K1200GT
2004 Harley Road Glide "Kapo"
post #5 of 11 Old Aug 14th, 2009, 2:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippinbyu
I agree, and have a battery tender; however, the dealer is "claiming" the gel battery needs their BMW proprietary charger.
Here is the Deltran selection table.

http://batterytender.com/selection_guide.php

From the table, the Tender Plus might be a better choice for your Gel battery.

2012 Custom Twin Cam (Building now from the frame up)
2011 HD Road Glide Ultra (Sweet Ride)
2010 HD Road Glide (Traded)
2007 Triumph Rocket III Classic (Sold)
2007 HD SE Ultra - RIP
2006 KLR650 "SOLD"
2006 R1200RT "Traded"
2000 HD Road Glide "SOLD"
2001 HD Softail (Sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Keith_H; Aug 14th, 2009 at 2:29 pm.
post #6 of 11 Old Aug 16th, 2009, 6:55 pm

Quote:
Hello,
I recently purchased a used BMW battery charger (model 71 60 7 688 865) for my 2007 K1200GT. I've notice it will not charge the battery unless I cycle the ignition key. None of the charge "definition" lights come on until the key is cycled. The charger appears to charge to the green 3/3 reading; however, turns off after that. I have never seen the charge definition light come on after that (although the power light in the lower left hand corner always remains on). It there something wrong with the charger or is it the accessory plug?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Chad
Ahemmmmm-To answer Chads question. Chad, I know this is just crazy, but read the manual that came with the charger- .. Once the charger goes thru its last 3/3 phase its lights out and goes into a monitoring mode. That's what its supposed to do. Unless there is a greater power drain other than clock she wont cycle again for a while. I am sometimes away from the big girl for an extended period-just leave it plugged in an forgetaboutit. As far as initial plug in- power led on and first red led on for a while -while it analyses the condition of battery. I have never had to cycle ign key.

Phil in Marin
2013 K1300S-30 Anniv ED. sold
2006 K1200GT-Blue of course-sold
2005 Ducati 999-the I-talian princess-sold
2004 K1200GT Gen-1, Orient Blue
gone
2016 Triumph Thruxton R

2000 R1100RT.
post #7 of 11 Old Nov 13th, 2009, 4:55 pm

I have not read the manual and do not have one of those new fangled high priced doodads BUT the dealer told me that the proper set up is to turn on the key, plug in the charger and then turn off the key. That way the computer knows what is going on and does not abort your connection.

Tom "Hoop" Hooper
"All who wander are not necessarily lost"
post #8 of 11 Old Nov 20th, 2009, 10:11 pm

Quote:
Hello,

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Chad
The non-Can-bus BMW Battery charger is a Deltran (The manufacturer of Battery Tender) I bought one today for my RT.

it comes with pigtail w/ rings and an SAE plug, a pigtail aligator clips and a BMW power socket plug. (3 ways to connect it to the bike) This charger is meant to hook direct to the battery. I am going to install the pigtail for now, but when I install a Centech AP-2, lights & radar Detector I am going to re-wire the front socket to the centech, so i will lose the pigtail and just plug the charger (bypassing Can-Bus) directly to the Centech which is hooked directly to the battery!

The BMW NON-Canbus charger iis $69.00 including all attachments! As long as my bike is under warranty, I amusing as much BMW branded stuff as possible to rule out any possibly of a denied warranty claim.
post #9 of 11 Old Nov 20th, 2009, 10:12 pm

Quote:
Only if you are going to plug it in the Can-bus attached power socket!
post #10 of 11 Old Nov 26th, 2009, 10:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinPhil
Ahemmmmm-To answer Chads question. Chad, I know this is just crazy, but read the manual that came with the charger- .. Once the charger goes thru its last 3/3 phase its lights out and goes into a monitoring mode. That's what its supposed to do. Unless there is a greater power drain other than clock she wont cycle again for a while. I am sometimes away from the big girl for an extended period-just leave it plugged in an forgetaboutit. As far as initial plug in- power led on and first red led on for a while -while it analyses the condition of battery. I have never had to cycle ign key.
I do the obligatory key cycling with the unit connected to the canbus connector and it works fine and as described above.

Overpriced - yes, convineint yes

ymmv

2009 KGT 1300 Apple Red (mine)
2008 R1200RT Biarritz Blue (sold)
2005 R1200ST Piedmont Red/Light Magnesium (hers)
2003 Goldwing Black (formerly ours and sold)
1999 Valkyrie Tourer Black (sold)

post #11 of 11 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 12:37 pm

I use the old style BMW charger plugged into a accessory outlet wired directly to the battery (Oddessey).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in