Verholen Barbacks - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 8:29 am Thread Starter

Verholen Barbacks

Has anyone any experience with these bar risers?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Verholen Risers.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	24086  

1986 Yamaha FJ600
2002 Honda VTX 1800C
2006 BMW R1200RT
2009 BMW K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 11:25 am
Super Moderator

Re: Verholen Barbacks

From what I've heard they work and don't fall off if installed correctly. Not a lot of moving parts so unclear what kind of feedback you're looking for. I had the Suburban Machinery barbacks on my 08 1200GT and they worked just fine. I found that with the taller bars that come stock on the 1300GT I didn't need them; I'm very comfortable with the stock setup in the top position.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 4:28 pm Thread Starter

I'm having wrist discomfort on my K1300GT that I never had on my R1200RT. The riding position on the GT puts me leaning over the tank more than the RT. Barbacks or risers seems to be the logical approach to lessen the strain.

1986 Yamaha FJ600
2002 Honda VTX 1800C
2006 BMW R1200RT
2009 BMW K1300GT

post #4 of 9 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 5:32 pm

At first, I also thought the weight on my wrists might be an issue. Eventually, I noticed that the riding position grew on me, and I've learned to avoid putting weight on my wrists by supporting my body mostly with legs and back. I occasionally check to make sure I am putting some weight on the pegs with the balls of my feet, keeping my back straight, and not supporting my upper body with my arms/hands. At first, some of these back/leg muscles weren't ready for this.

Of course, this is in the context of how I ride. I don't usually put serious miles on the bike on a single day (5,200 miles in 1st 60 days, but no ride over 350 miles).

I do think I would want barbacks and a new seat if I were doing any of the recognized Iron Butt rides.
post #5 of 9 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 6:32 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryRT
I'm having wrist discomfort on my K1300GT that I never had on my R1200RT. The riding position on the GT puts me leaning over the tank more than the RT. Barbacks or risers seems to be the logical approach to lessen the strain.
I would suggest some adjustments to your riding style before purchasing a bunch of accessories. If you are getting wrist strain that's usually an indication that you are leaning on your arms and "stiff-arming" the handlebars. This does a number of things other than make your wrists hurt - sends unwanted steering inputs to the bike, makes the ride less stable and thus more stressful, fatigues you, etc. Try to support yourself more with your back and stomach muscles and hold the tank a little more firmly with your knees. Also, make a conscious effort to ride with your elbows bent and loose (should be able to flap them like a bird) at all times, and a light hold instead of a death grip on the grips. Give this a try, it may save you a couple hundred bucks.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old Aug 15th, 2009, 12:30 pm Thread Starter

I change positions regularly and slide forward and back on the seat as well as use the cruise. I ride relaxed and still have the discomfort occassionally. $200 is a small price to pay considering the bike is worth more than $20,000, besides, if they don't work out, I can sell them.

1986 Yamaha FJ600
2002 Honda VTX 1800C
2006 BMW R1200RT
2009 BMW K1300GT
post #7 of 9 Old Aug 15th, 2009, 2:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
I would suggest some adjustments to your riding style before purchasing a bunch of accessories. If you are getting wrist strain that's usually an indication that you are leaning on your arms and "stiff-arming" the handlebars. This does a number of things other than make your wrists hurt - sends unwanted steering inputs to the bike, makes the ride less stable and thus more stressful, fatigues you, etc. Try to support yourself more with your back and stomach muscles and hold the tank a little more firmly with your knees. Also, make a conscious effort to ride with your elbows bent and loose (should be able to flap them like a bird) at all times, and a light hold instead of a death grip on the grips. Give this a try, it may save you a couple hundred bucks.
From Jason Pridmore's school: "Your forearms should be parallel with the ground, your grip on the bars should be light, as if you're holding baby chicks". He asked me how that went after a session back on the track. My reply, "Jason, the chicks are dead". Easier said than done, but it is the right method!

Dean and Deb
Golden, CO

post #8 of 9 Old Aug 17th, 2009, 6:42 pm

Wow, no one piped up with like actual feedback about the Verholens.

Check out this thread.
post #9 of 9 Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 7:16 am

I've had the Verholens on my '07 GT for about the last 2,000 miles. The install was a breeze and I was able to set them in the highest position without any cable problems. Compared to stock, they're a major improvement for this 6' 3" rider. However, I have some riding time on an '07 RT and they do not move the bars high enough or far back enough to be as comfortable as that bike. Subjectively, they cut the comfort difference between the stock GT and the RT in half. They were a major improvement, though, and well worth the $$ (for me).

2002 LT
2004 950 Adv
2006 RT
Total Cylinder Count: 102

Last edited by dznam; Sep 23rd, 2009 at 7:19 am. Reason: addt'l information added

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in