Add-ons for this itty bitty K1300GT! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old Aug 10th, 2009, 2:43 pm Thread Starter

Question Add-ons for this itty bitty K1300GT!

OK, so I'm getting impatient with BMW's release (or rather lack of) of a new LT, and now people are saying they simply may not come out with a new one!

So I'm back to contemplating the K1300GT. My problem is ALL ergonomics. The seating position, which is considerably more "sport" than the sitting-straight-up touring position of the LT, doesn't work for me. I've got long legs, bad knees, etc., and simply need/want to be less bent up while riding.

I know I can get extenders for the regular foot-pegs that will help a little, and I can have a custom seat made (by Rich's in Seattle) to raise my butt up 3-4 inches (did it on both my LT and Aprilia and loved the result!). Those two things will straighten out my legs a bit, but for long distances, it still won't be enough.

So HERE are my questions for those of you "in the know":
1. Is there something like J-Pegs or Highway Ottomans (I have both on my LT) that you can add to a GT that will allow extending your legs forward on long rides?
2. Is there a backrest available for the GT?
3. Is there a handlebar extender kit of some sort to raise the grips up and back at all?

Bruce Yates - Y3K on board!
Bellevue, WA (near sunny Seattle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
2013 dark graphite K1600GTL "Tiger Shark"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(RIP - totaled by idiot cage driver)

2000 K1200LTc "Salsa" (sold to my buddy, Mel)
2012 midnight blue Vespa GTS 300ie (Cheri's)

(photography)

(new blog)

2001 CCR - Hot Springs, AR
2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2003 CCR - Gatlinburg, TN
2004 CCR - Breckenridge, CO
2005 CCR - Jackson Hole, WY
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2009 CCR - Rapid City, SD
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old Aug 10th, 2009, 3:02 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Re: Add-ons for this itty bitty K1300GT!

Bakup USA makes a backrest for the GT. I am not aware of any highway pegs for the GT.

Bar backs are available. Check out cyclegadgets.com or Pirate's Lair.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 41 Old Aug 10th, 2009, 3:38 pm
Super Moderator

Bar backs are available from Suburban Machinery and Verholen. Pirate's Lair has them along with amny other farkles for the GT. I see Raffy concurs. Backrest is as he noted. There are no highway peg options for the GT at this point, and I don't think the style and seating position (even after the mods you mention) would be conducive to them. Plus I can't think of a way to mount them on the bike without carving holes in the side panels. I use the passenger pegs as an alternative footrest when on longer rides and that changes my position and changes my leg position enough to keep me comfortable for full days in the saddle.

Plus, you're going to get there so fast you probably won't have time to get uncomfortable, anyway!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #4 of 41 Old Aug 11th, 2009, 2:33 am
IBR# 366

Garage

What they said.

My GT had bar backs, peg extenders, an aftermarket windshield, and a custom seat the first day I brought it home. By day 2 it had its 600-mile service. By day 3 it had well over 1,000 miles on it.

It's about 90% as comfortable as the LT, but much more fun to ride, and much easier to ride well.

No highway pegs yet, although I do have some ideas . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 41 Old Aug 11th, 2009, 10:06 am

I'd been riding Harleys over 40 years before buying the GT, so I added the bar backs and Versomething adjustable pegs. I kept the pegs at their lowest position until I got tired of grinding grooves in the pavement on corners, so I adjusted them half way back up. Seems to have cured most of the scraping problem.

You'd be surprised how fast you get used to this riding position. Bought the bike in January and now have almost 20K on it. Took about 5K miles to get used to this position.

Ride fast. Take chances.

2008 K1200GT
2004 Harley Road Glide "Kapo"
post #6 of 41 Old Aug 11th, 2009, 10:41 am

Bruce,
I agree with all said by the gents above but add one thing. Rich will make you a removeable backrest for your seat. I have one for my GT and it looks great, However, I have yet to use it.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #7 of 41 Old Aug 11th, 2009, 12:15 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

I'll have Bakup backrests for the GT at CCR. You are welcome to try one if you want.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #8 of 41 Old Aug 11th, 2009, 5:27 pm
Super Moderator

I'll have a K1300GT at CCR. You are welcome to try one if you want.

(That goes for Bruce and Raffy )

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #9 of 41 Old Aug 11th, 2009, 6:36 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
(That goes for Bruce and Raffy )
I call first dibs on Raffy's soon-to-be ex-K13GT.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 41 Old Aug 11th, 2009, 10:15 pm

you guys are really making me want the GT, ya know?

Lissening to Grifs and Meese over the years is making my mouth water and my wallet quiver...

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #11 of 41 Old Aug 11th, 2009, 11:32 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
I call first dibs on Raffy's soon-to-be ex-K13GT.
I have to wait for him to get bored with the Hypermotard and/or BMW to come up with a newer version of the GT for me. He and I have an understanding, although Patty gives us funny looks every time we do this.

But you're next in line right after that!!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #12 of 41 Old Aug 12th, 2009, 11:46 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
But you're next in line right after that!!
I think I'l pass on one of your hand-me-downs, David. You're about the only guy who has worse luck with bikes than I do.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #13 of 41 Old Aug 12th, 2009, 12:44 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
I think I'l pass on one of your hand-me-downs, David. You're about the only guy who has worse luck with bikes than I do.
Now that's just cold. Perhaps true, but cold.

It looks like correcting my oil problem could be fairly simple. I'll know more later today.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #14 of 41 Old Aug 12th, 2009, 7:22 pm

You're taking a pretty big gamble.

You can throw every ergo mod available at the GT and will never come close to LT confort/ergos.

Mine had bar risers, foot peg extensions, Aeroflow, aftermarket seat, and it still was not comfortable for me.

I eventually bailed on my GT and went to an RT. The GT is a great bike, but based on what you describe...maybe not for you.
post #15 of 41 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 2:25 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng943
You can throw every ergo mod available at the GT and will never come close to LT comfort/ergos.
I disagree with the never come close part. My GT is 90% as comfortable as my LT was (and yes, with all those mods you mentioned). Note that it isn't quite as comfortable, but it is pretty darn close. And the GT just does everything else so much better (performance, handling, braking, much less weight) that for me, it is easily the better bike.

I've also ridden the RT and while it is a fine bike with a loyal following, it just plain doesn't fit me. Not the ergos, not the funny thumpy motor, and definitely not the windshield.

Then again, that's why we have choices here, so we can each find the bike that works best for us.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #16 of 41 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 10:46 am Thread Starter

Clearly, I'm going to have to sit on/ride around the block one of these modified GTs at CCR!

I just need to see if my over-sized frame and long legs (with basketball-devastated knees) can hack the riding position! "Fit" is definitely an individual thing, and either it do or it don't. The ones on the showroom floor definitely don't...we'll have to see about the ones with these mods...

As for the backrest, since I already have two custom seats by Rich in Seattle, and both have his removeable backrests, that would be an easy fix once I had a seat made - I can just insert my existing backrest.

Too bad about no highway pegs being available (or even possible?). That would just about tip the scales by itself! Can't one of you mechanical geniuses figure out how to make some that'll work?!

)

(photography)

(new blog)

2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
post #17 of 41 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 2:42 pm

How is the LT in the winter? Does it block the wind as well as the LT does? Does it keep you dry in the rain like the LT does?

i think of getting the GT, but it's gotta work in the winter and rain just as well.

02 LT
post #18 of 41 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 3:28 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveno
How is the LT in the winter? Does it block the wind as well as the LT does? Does it keep you dry in the rain like the LT does?

i think of getting the GT, but it's gotta work in the winter and rain just as well.
Well, I think you should stick with the LT, then. Just look at the front section and width of the LT compared to the GT. Expecting identical protection from a smaller and narrower profile is not realistic. That being said, I think the GT is more than adequate and provides a lot of protection. Having ridden both in a variety of weather conditions I don't miss the LT's protection at all. On hot days I'm glad I don't have it as it diverted too much wind away from the rider.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #19 of 41 Old Aug 14th, 2009, 4:38 pm

Hello All, I just recently found your website, steered here by my passenger!

I have just recently put cruise pegs on my 2006 GT. It is still a work in progress but I am happy with what I have so far.
It involves removing the upper motor mount bolt and replacing it with a piece of all tread and a coupling nut. A 3/4" hole will need to be drilled in each side and aftermarket pegs purchased. I am still looking for the right cruise pegs and currently have rubber covered all thread 5" out the sides.
The thought is to be able to remove the pegs and replace them with frame sliders when not in use.

What do you think? Am I tottaly wacked?

Rob
post #20 of 41 Old Aug 14th, 2009, 4:42 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Take pictures so we can see what you have done and how it looks.

Raffy
post #21 of 41 Old Aug 14th, 2009, 6:44 pm Thread Starter

Rob,

Welcome! This is a great group of people, and I'm sure you'll find the site a wealth of information! If you can possibly make it to CCR (next year if not two weeks from now!), definitely do so - it's the best bike rally ever!

It's too early to say whether your wacked or not, but if you are, you'll fit right in!

And if you can figure out a feasible way to add highway pegs to a GT, you might have a lot of instant fans here (and might make a GT owner out of me!)!

I agree with Raffy, though - we need to see photos!

)

(photography)

(new blog)

2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

post #22 of 41 Old Aug 14th, 2009, 7:25 pm

Quote:
I disagree with the never come close part. My GT is 90% as comfortable as my LT was (and yes, with all those mods you mentioned). Note that it isn't quite as comfortable, but it is pretty darn close. And the GT just does everything else so much better (performance, handling, braking, much less weight) that for me, it is easily the better bike.

I've also ridden the RT and while it is a fine bike with a loyal following, it just plain doesn't fit me. Not the ergos, not the funny thumpy motor, and definitely not the windshield.

Then again, that's why we have choices here, so we can each find the bike that works best for us.
Different strokes. I gave it a try, and I was never very comfortable. As a matter of fact I used to encourage my friend to switch so I could ride his LT when my knees were aching, and my manhood was bruised from sliding into the tank.

It's probably a fair cautionary position to suggest to the OP that he may have unrealistic expectations in making a GT as comfy as his LT given his size.

Better performance can be meaningless if you are not comfortable enough to enjoy it. I'd just hate to see this person spend a large chunk of cash and have his hopes dashed...as I did. Then again, I haven't noticed a "funny lumpy motor" underneath me either - just a torquey, smooth gem of a motor.

OP if you clearly prefer the sit up and beg seating style, I would be very cautious about jumping into a GT. By the way, I am still hearing a new LT is coming.

Last edited by eng943; Aug 14th, 2009 at 7:40 pm.
post #23 of 41 Old Aug 16th, 2009, 6:39 pm

Quote:

You can throw every ergo mod available at the GT and will never come close to LT confort/ergos.

Mine had bar risers, foot peg extensions, Aeroflow, aftermarket seat, and it still was not comfortable for me.

I eventually bailed on my GT and went to an RT. The GT is a great bike, but based on what you describe...maybe not for you.
+1. You are trying to make at GT into an LT and just won't work. Lowering pegs,raising seat, barbacks-that's not what shes designed for. Then you have to drop it a few times so that she knows she's a real LT. RT?

Phil in Marin
2013 K1300S-30 Anniv ED. sold
2006 K1200GT-Blue of course-sold
2005 Ducati 999-the I-talian princess-sold
2004 K1200GT Gen-1, Orient Blue
gone
2016 Triumph Thruxton R

2000 R1100RT.
post #24 of 41 Old Aug 17th, 2009, 10:30 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinPhil
Lowering pegs, raising seat, barbacks-that's not what she's designed for.
With all those mods from day one and 95K miles on my GT, I disagree. But ask me again in 3 weeks when it'll be over 115K miles.

And while the RT is a fine bike, it just doesn't fit some folks. Nor is it really a direct LT replacement either.

Sure, I'm interested in seeing what the new LT is (whenever it arrives). And honestly, I'd really prefer a K1300RT. But neither of those bikes exist at the moment, so I've made my GT fit my riding style.

Like he said, different strokes . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #25 of 41 Old Aug 17th, 2009, 11:23 am

Quote:
With all those mods from day one and 95K miles on my GT, I disagree. But ask me again in 3 weeks when it'll be over 115K miles.

And while the RT is a fine bike, it just doesn't fit some folks. Nor is it really a direct LT replacement either.

Sure, I'm interested in seeing what the new LT is (whenever it arrives). And honestly, I'd really prefer a K1300RT. But neither of those bikes exist at the moment, so I've made my GT fit my riding style.

Like he said, different strokes . . .
Sure, add all that stuff and the GT is more comfortable for you. that's what it's all about. Just sayin, would you raise up the ride hight, and put curb-feelers on an F430-- Like u said-whatever floats your boat.

Phil in Marin
2013 K1300S-30 Anniv ED. sold
2006 K1200GT-Blue of course-sold
2005 Ducati 999-the I-talian princess-sold
2004 K1200GT Gen-1, Orient Blue
gone
2016 Triumph Thruxton R

2000 R1100RT.
post #26 of 41 Old Aug 18th, 2009, 7:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
Take pictures so we can see what you have done and how it looks.
Sorry for the delay, I had to take some picks.
I removed the forward engine mounting bolt and replaced it with the toughest grade of metric all tread I could get from Fastenal. The all thread is aprox. 9" long on each side with the coupling nut tightened against the frame to support the motor. On my 2006 the size is 10mm 1.5 tread pitch. The all tread is covered with tubing for now and an acorn nut until I can find some suitable pegs.

The last thought is to cut the all tread off at the edge of the side plastic and make up a frame slider for the in town and cruising pegs for the long trips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cruise pegs 001.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	24138   Click image for larger version

Name:	cruise pegs 004.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	24139   Click image for larger version

Name:	cruise pegs 005.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	24140   Click image for larger version

Name:	cruise pegs 006.jpg
Views:	1258
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	24141   Click image for larger version

Name:	cruise pegs 008.jpg
Views:	915
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	24142  

Click image for larger version

Name:	cruise pegs 011.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	24143   Click image for larger version

Name:	cruise pegs 010.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	24144  
post #27 of 41 Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 3:21 pm

Iíve read all the replyís youíve received so far and there is some good advice in there somewhere, but here is a reality check for yaÖ I had an LT from 200 to 2007; I traded my 2007 LT after 6 months and bought a GT. I road it across country twice so far from SC to WY and all around the west for a total of 12,000 miles, and never once had a problem with the stock seat. The ergonomics are perfect on the GT, just a slight lean forward and nothing like the other sport touring bikes, and I did not use any risers to set me up straight. Now, here is the best part, Iím 64 years old and I do 700 plus miles a day and do not have one single problem with the GT ergonomics. It is better than the LTís straight up sitting position, not as dramatic as the other spot touring bikes, itís just right.
post #28 of 41 Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 4:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet12
Iíve read all the replyís youíve received so far and there is some good advice in there somewhere, but here is a reality check for yaÖ I had an LT from 200 to 2007; I traded my 2007 LT after 6 months and bought a GT. I road it across country twice so far from SC to WY and all around the west for a total of 12,000 miles, and never once had a problem with the stock seat. The ergonomics are perfect on the GT, just a slight lean forward and nothing like the other sport touring bikes, and I did not use any risers to set me up straight. Now, here is the best part, Iím 64 years old and I do 700 plus miles a day and do not have one single problem with the GT ergonomics. It is better than the LTís straight up sitting position, not as dramatic as the other spot touring bikes, itís just right.
Bullet12,

I think that's fantastic - you're obviously a serious rider, and are adding to my temptation to get a GT. But how tall are you, and are your knees relatively normal? My issues primarily arise from having knees that were trashed by decades of pounding the boards on the basketball court (I'm 6'5" and in my day played center). They just do NOT like being forced into an acute angle...hence, my frustration with most bikes.

)

(photography)

(new blog)

2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

post #29 of 41 Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 10:10 pm

Whoa! Now we may be talking apples and oranges here. Iím 5í11Ē but I do notice that on both the LT and the GT I have plenty of lag room and nowhere close to bumping them on the plastic. This suggests to me BMW designs their bikes for tall people as I actually feel short on them sometimes. But I would recommend you just sit on a GT and get the feel for how your legs and frame fit, and a feel for the riding position (ergonomics). When I purchased mine the dealer overhearing me talk about getting risers suggested I ride it for a while first because he thought I would not need the handlebar risers. He was right, and after riding the upright position on the LT and Harleyís over the years I found the GT to be fantastic.
So, good luck on your endeavor in finding the right ride because that is the other part of the experience and not the destination.
post #30 of 41 Old Sep 9th, 2009, 5:48 pm Thread Starter

Well, gang, while I was at CCR, Randy was gracious enough to lend me his K1300GT for a day, and I think I got the answer to my questions.

First of all, the K1300GT ROCKS! Great handling, nice ergonomics, and Holy Crap! can it ever MOVE! The power is almost intoxicating - getting to triple digits was WAY too easy. It was an absolute blast in the twisties (I did Spearfish Canyon), yet cruises along nicely on the slab as well! All in all, a fabulous bike!

But it's not for me. After even 20 minutes on the highway, my basketball-hammered knees were aching. 20 minutes later they were in agony. You guys (and gals) with younger, shorter and/or less damaged knees may find the GT's seating position comfortable for long periods of time, but not me.

When I got back on my old LT, and stretched my legs out onto those JPegs, it was like coming home to a nice, comfy recliner. On the way back to Seattle, I generally stayed in the saddle for hours on end, stopping only to get gas (i.e., every 150-200 mi.). No way I could have stayed on the GT for even an hour at a time.

So, as fun as the GT was to ride, it comes down to the same old thing: each rider has to find the bike(s) that "fit" him/her, and other people's experiences can only serve as a starting point, but can't replace a good old test ride. Thanks again to all who voiced opinions on this topic, and again to Randy for giving me some time to really check the GT out. I may lust after that baby for short flings , but at the end of the day, I still want to come home to my good ol' LT!

I guess that means I'm back to hanging on every rumor of a new LT that circulates the next 6-12 months until we have a final verdict as to its demise and/or resurrection!

BTW, I think this post sets a personal record for the most smilies ever used!

)

(photography)

(new blog)

2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

post #31 of 41 Old Sep 9th, 2009, 6:19 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Yates
Well, gang, while I was at CCR, Randy was gracious enough to lend me his K1300GT for a day, and I think I got the answer to my questions.
One thing I noticed after you brought the bike back is that the seat was in the low position, due to my having loaned it to someone else earlier. With the seat in the high position you would have about 1" more legroom. Not that it would make a big difference, but it is a data point.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #32 of 41 Old Sep 9th, 2009, 6:39 pm
Super Moderator

You should have ridden his VMAX. When you whack the throttle on that thing it liquifies bone and cartilage, thus making ergonomics irrelevant.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #33 of 41 Old Sep 9th, 2009, 7:47 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
You should have ridden his VMAX. When you whack the throttle on that thing it liquifies bone and cartilage, thus making ergonomics irrelevant.
You forgot about the time shifting thing

All joking aside, it does deliver a unique sort of power rush

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #34 of 41 Old Sep 9th, 2009, 11:16 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
With the seat in the high position you would have about 1" more legroom.
Also, with the seat up and driver's peg extenders, you actually have more leg room than on the LT.

I'm just saying.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #35 of 41 Old Sep 10th, 2009, 1:32 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
Also, with the seat up and driver's peg extenders, you actually have more leg room than on the LT.

I'm just saying.
Yeah, but do you ride enough to really notice the difference?

Congrats on the great finish in the Iron Butt! I hope you can come to Fort Bragg and tell us a bunch of stories. The first beer or three are on me, my friend!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #36 of 41 Old Sep 10th, 2009, 1:54 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Actually, I ran the peg extenders for the first 20K miles. I took them off when I got comfortable enough on the bike to scrape the pegs in a normal left-handed turn at an intersection. I rode without for the next 70K miles or so.

Note that I never changed the shifter or brake position, and had no trouble adapting.

I put them back on for the IBR and noticed an immediate increase in comfort that was well appreciated as the days wore on. I'm torn as to whether I'll leave them on or not. I really need some that I can easily switch from high to low, preferably without tools. Maybe Ari can make me some motorized pegs.

I still do need to work out proper highway pegs for this bike though. Maybe a "winter" project . . .

When is Fort Bragg again?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #37 of 41 Old Sep 10th, 2009, 11:36 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
Actually, I ran the peg extenders for the first 20K miles. I took them off when I got comfortable enough on the bike to scrape the pegs in a normal left-handed turn at an intersection. I rode without for the next 70K miles or so.

Note that I never changed the shifter or brake position, and had no trouble adapting.

I put them back on for the IBR and noticed an immediate increase in comfort that was well appreciated as the days wore on. I'm torn as to whether I'll leave them on or not. I really need some that I can easily switch from high to low, preferably without tools. Maybe Ari can make me some motorized pegs.

I still do need to work out proper highway pegs for this bike though. Maybe a "winter" project . . .

When is Fort Bragg again?
I would be interested to see what you come up with for highway pegs.

Fort Bragg is October 17-18. All the info on hotels and such is located in the thread below. You can be the guest speaker, assuming you work for beer.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49226

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #38 of 41 Old Sep 10th, 2009, 11:52 am

After taking a 2600 mile trip on my GT, I had to purchase a LT for comfort. My 07'GT is powerful and sleek, but it isn't made for a 73 inch, middle-aged man with a painful back.
I miss the power of the GT, but the LT is comfortable.
Do yourself a favor, find a late model bike with low miles...you'll never look back!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
03" k1200 RS-past
07' k1200 GT-selling
04' K1200LT-present
0? R1200GS- in addition
post #39 of 41 Old Sep 10th, 2009, 5:22 pm

Just finished a 2600 mile trip, Phoenix to New York (4 1/2 days) picking up my new to me 08 GT to replace my crash bike. This bike has lowering pegs, but I was stretching my legs out every 20 mins or so to keep them from aching. My LT felt the same until I added the J-Pegs, but those forced my legs out so far I felt like the 'make a wish' chicken bone man. I don't think pegs are going to work on this bike. I'm 60 years old now and the only answer may be to exercise more to be able to take the abuse. Get used to it, its all down hill from here on out. Or, buy a Harley and get highway pegs, loud pipes and rock on.

Laurence Hendrick

2008 K1200GT, Dark Graphite (Oh my, so fast!)
2005 LT Ocean Blue (Sold and comfort will be missed, but not the weight)
post #40 of 41 Old Sep 20th, 2009, 8:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Yates

First of all, the K1300GT ROCKS! Great handling, nice ergonomics, and Holy Crap! can it ever MOVE! The power is almost intoxicating - getting to triple digits was WAY too easy. It was an absolute blast in the twisties (I did Spearfish Canyon), yet cruises along nicely on the slab as well! All in all, a fabulous bike!

But it's not for me. After even 20 minutes on the highway, my basketball-hammered knees were aching. 20 minutes later they were in agony. You guys (and gals) with younger, shorter and/or less damaged knees may find the GT's seating position comfortable for long periods of time, but not me.

When I got back on my old LT, and stretched my legs out onto those JPegs, it was like coming home to a nice, comfy recliner. On the way back to Seattle, I generally stayed in the saddle for hours on end, stopping only to get gas (i.e., every 150-200 mi.). No way I could have stayed on the GT for even an hour at a time.

So, as fun as the GT was to ride, it comes down to the same old thing: each rider has to find the bike(s) that "fit" him/her, and other people's experiences can only serve as a starting point, but can't replace a good old test ride. Thanks again to all who voiced opinions on this topic, and again to Randy for giving me some time to really check the GT out. I may lust after that baby for short flings , but at the end of the day, I still want to come home to my good ol' LT!

I guess that means I'm back to hanging on every rumor of a new LT that circulates the next 6-12 months until we have a final verdict as to its demise and/or resurrection!

BTW, I think this post sets a personal record for the most smilies ever used!
Bruce, I have to agree with you on the ergonomics of the tremendously adrenaline pumping GT. While I reeeally enjoyed the throttle to pavement response of the GT I could not get the bike to "Fit" me. I had the bar risers-peg lowering-seat option stuff and it still hurt my shoulder (result of a un-insured mom running a red light years ago) and could not get the bike to sooooth me like the LT does. So I went back to the all familiar LT "Couch" and haven't regretted a moment of the switch (with the exception of the power of the GT).

We'll just have to be happy with the power we have (Or lack of) until the BMW Mother Ship decides to grant us an increase of adrenaline .

Regards,
Woody aka SoberBiker

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
~Author Unknown~

'18 K1600 BGA (Yet to be named)
'16 Goldwing F6B (Traded)
'08 K1200LT - (Traded)
'07 K1200GT - (Sold)

post #41 of 41 Old Dec 12th, 2009, 12:22 am

I agree and at 6'-3" and 59 years young I wouldnt last more then half the day on a GT. I sure would like one LOL

I dont understand why BMW's marketing dept never figured out that an "RT" type bike with a "K" motor in it would sell like hot cakes. Any "K" motor would do but the new "6" would be by first choice.

Later

Steve A
Shoreline WA

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in