Final Drive Failure? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Aug 7th, 2009, 10:23 am Thread Starter

Final Drive Failure?

Well, 21,640 miles on the 08 GT and yesterday on the way to the store the rear end started getting loose and moving around. I had oil all over the rear tire and wheel. Luckily, I was on a flat straight road when it went. If I had been cornering the bike I probably would have went down due to the oil on the rear tire. Had the bike towed to the dealer. I am waiting for the final word from them as to the cause of the oil. When I tried to move the rear tire it moved just slightly from side to side, not much, but more then is normal.

To me this is also a safety issue. Two days prior my wife and I were on a day ride in northern California through some pretty mountain areas. If it would have happened in the twisties with two of us aboard I have no doubt we would have gone down due to the oil on the rear tire. My understanding is that BWM extended the Final Drive warranty but does not admit there is a problem with the drive. I am surprised someone has not gone down due to a Final Drive failure. It's a great M/C in a lot of ways. But as of right now I am not sure if I will ever get another BWM M/C. This is my second, first one was an LT, and probably my last. FJR or Gold Wing are starting to look better, it is really too bad.

When I get an accurate assessment from the dealer I will repost with more accurate info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Aug 7th, 2009, 8:03 pm

Re: Final Drive Failure?

Ok now I'm on the fence GT ? RT ? C14?

2016 BMW R1200 RT LC
2017 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversrio
BMW MOA # 146446
IBA #33267
Beer is PROOF God loves us and wants us to be happy
Days an months are travelers of eternity, So to the years that pass by.
“ the journey is the destination “

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old Aug 8th, 2009, 2:03 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Read this then get back to me. And this is coming from someone who's had two final drive failures on my '07 GT.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 22 Old Aug 8th, 2009, 11:13 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Read this then get back to me. And this is coming from someone who's had two final drive failures on my '07 GT.
See? That is what really Yanks my Crank. They ABSOLUTELY have it right EXCEPT this Final Drive Issue.

For F---S Sake, go to a belt or chain and call it a day! You would then have the best bike on the market.

Or, Brain Fart, FIX the manufacturing/design flaw. Damn I get so pissed on this issue which really is the Energizer Bunny of Bad Raps on BMW.

I am even more concerned on BMW moving even more manufacturing off shore to defray costs. I have enough to run my LT for a few years and enjoy doing my own maintenance, however I am pretty sure that when I get a bug for a new bike either because I get tired of doing so much maintenance, a catastrophic disaster, or something else just blows my skirt up, I am pretty positive it wont be a BMW.

And not only for the FD, but inexcusable seal failures, and as they move off shore I don't think this makes them German engineering any longer and puts them into the "Jap" class and are therefore not the best buy for the dollar.

I DO love my LT and it puts a smile on my face EVERY time I ride it. And it has given me 21,000 trouble free miles since September of 07. I need to get the Slave drilled and will feel a bit better on preserving it's years.

BUT on the depreciation hit I took, and the amount of money I have in it I will never sell it.
I will fix it and ride it as I have the major parts in stock, FD, seals, Clutch parts. Yes I am a Pessimist (that glass is half empty no matter how the hell you look at it) but I will keep it to I die.

I just don't think they are worth the money any longer when for 14-18 grand you can get a "Jap" bike that is more reliable, more dealers, will fix their design flaws, and are less expensive and easier to maintain.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #5 of 22 Old Aug 8th, 2009, 12:49 pm

Quote:

Ya' mean BMW finally won one'o these? Congrats!

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #6 of 22 Old Aug 8th, 2009, 4:20 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerider
Ya' mean BMW finally won one'o these? Congrats!
Sort of. They start out by saying “there’s no clear loser” and “thin margin between them… just pick a color… buy the one you like, you can’t go wrong.”

And even though they could hardly find fault with the GT (riders or passenger) and they concluded with "Objectively the BMW is the clear winner to us" they still had to ding it on price, even though they said it was worth it.

Oh well, I know what bike fits me, and I've ridden them all. Now if just didn't feel the need to carry a spare final drive, the bike would be almost perfect.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 22 Old Aug 8th, 2009, 10:53 pm

Mfg'ing off shore doesn't bother me. It's the Designing or lack of redesigning it on shore that's the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
See? That is what really Yanks my Crank. They ABSOLUTELY have it right EXCEPT this Final Drive Issue.

For F---S Sake, go to a belt or chain and call it a day! You would then have the best bike on the market.

Or, Brain Fart, FIX the manufacturing/design flaw. Damn I get so pissed on this issue which really is the Energizer Bunny of Bad Raps on BMW.

I am even more concerned on BMW moving even more manufacturing off shore to defray costs. I have enough to run my LT for a few years and enjoy doing my own maintenance, however I am pretty sure that when I get a bug for a new bike either because I get tired of doing so much maintenance, a catastrophic disaster, or something else just blows my skirt up, I am pretty positive it wont be a BMW.

And not only for the FD, but inexcusable seal failures, and as they move off shore I don't think this makes them German engineering any longer and puts them into the "Jap" class and are therefore not the best buy for the dollar.

I DO love my LT and it puts a smile on my face EVERY time I ride it. And it has given me 21,000 trouble free miles since September of 07. I need to get the Slave drilled and will feel a bit better on preserving it's years.

BUT on the depreciation hit I took, and the amount of money I have in it I will never sell it.
I will fix it and ride it as I have the major parts in stock, FD, seals, Clutch parts. Yes I am a Pessimist (that glass is half empty no matter how the hell you look at it) but I will keep it to I die.

I just don't think they are worth the money any longer when for 14-18 grand you can get a "Jap" bike that is more reliable, more dealers, will fix their design flaws, and are less expensive and easier to maintain.

Warm & Safe Heated Clothing Sale- Lowest Prices!!

Contact Me.

post #8 of 22 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 7:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
So, what's the verdict on the 1300's final drives? How many have failed so far? Hopefully there'll be a few competing in this year's Iron Butt Rally, which seems to be a pretty good proving ground.
post #9 of 22 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 10:03 am

I've only got 1200 miles on mine but, so far so good.
post #10 of 22 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 10:51 am
IBR# 366

Garage

No K1300GT's in the IBR this year, but there will be four K1200GT's running, including mine.

Unless someone wants to loan me a K13 for a couple of weeks . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #11 of 22 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 11:09 am

Quote:
No K1300GT's in the IBR this year, but there will be four K1200GT's running, including mine.

Unless someone wants to loan me a K13 for a couple of weeks . . .
Hey - some people tried to get you that K1300GT. I guess it didn't work out...
post #12 of 22 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 9:02 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
Hey - some people tried to get you that K1300GT. I guess it didn't work out...
That's OK. With my luck, I would have ended up with one of David Taylor's rejects . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #13 of 22 Old Aug 11th, 2009, 12:01 pm Thread Starter

Re: Final Drive Failure? Update

Talked with the dealer today. Evidently the output seal on the final drive went out which was allowing the oil to leak out onto the rear end. They said it was a matter of replacing the seal and a shim and cleaning the bike up, new break pads. They checked the rear end and there was no damage to the gearing or other parts. Soooo, should have it back in a day or so and then I'll de on a trip to Boise and northern Idaho and maybe Montana. We will see how the final drive does.....
post #14 of 22 Old Aug 14th, 2009, 6:04 am

Picked up a new 09 GT yesterday,, lots of questions

2016 BMW R1200 RT LC
BMW MOA # 146446
IBA #33267

post #15 of 22 Old Aug 14th, 2009, 8:50 am

Ok, I'm going to jinx myself here, but 48.5K on my '06 and no issues with anything ..............YET.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #16 of 22 Old Aug 16th, 2009, 5:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttackPug
Picked up a new 09 GT yesterday,, lots of questions

Excellent now post a picture or it didn't happen

2009 KGT 1300 Apple Red (mine)
2008 R1200RT Biarritz Blue (sold)
2005 R1200ST Piedmont Red/Light Magnesium (hers)
2003 Goldwing Black (formerly ours and sold)
1999 Valkyrie Tourer Black (sold)

post #17 of 22 Old Aug 24th, 2009, 3:27 pm

The Bavarian Cruise Missle

2016 BMW R1200 RT LC
BMW MOA # 146446
IBA #33267

post #18 of 22 Old Aug 25th, 2009, 10:32 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF

Heck, it wouldn't even take all that. Just go back to the double-sided swing arm design from the early airheads. My FJR FD is damn near an exact copy of that bullet-proof design and it's really no harder for me to pop the rear wheel of the Feejr than it was my LT.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #19 of 22 Old Sep 1st, 2009, 10:27 pm

Here's my question about the FD:

There is no official maintenance schedule other than replacing the FD oil at 600 miles and then every 12K miles..

So... what about the bearings? I really like this bike. I had a day long test ride on it and want to buy it, but no one can tell me when you're supposed to do preventative maintenance on the final drive.

I like it better than the FJR, but if I can't get a clear answer, I may just get the FJR.

As for the above comment regarding a single sided swingarm, you may be right, but on the other hand, the Honda Goldwing has a single sided swingarm and I haven't heard of any FD issues with it and it's a much heavier bike to boot.
post #20 of 22 Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 10:58 am

Regarding the final drive service:

On my RT - I did it every oil change

On my GT - I plan to do it on every oil change

I also had a Goldwing and did it every oil change.

It's 180 cc's of fluid..... on the new GT the drain is at the bottom.

And there is always warranty.

The ultimate decison is yours

2009 KGT 1300 Apple Red (mine)
2008 R1200RT Biarritz Blue (sold)
2005 R1200ST Piedmont Red/Light Magnesium (hers)
2003 Goldwing Black (formerly ours and sold)
1999 Valkyrie Tourer Black (sold)

post #21 of 22 Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 6:41 pm

Fluid changes are fine by me, but at some point, the bearings need to be replaced. Other manufacturers have a published service schedule for the bearings, bmw does not.

Are you supposed to ride it till it fails? I know some go early, but I'm just trying to get an idea of when one should preventatively replace the FD bearings before they are worn out.

Any ideas?
post #22 of 22 Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 8:08 am

[QUOTE=fluffy]Here's my question about the FD:

There is no official maintenance schedule other than replacing the FD oil at 600 miles and then every 12K miles..

So... what about the bearings?.
I think the Grooved Ball Bearing is in the oil bath. The needle sleeve is a sealed bearing.

The sealed bearing is more prone to failure , not sure if there are reports of the grooved ball bearing failing on the new style FD. I know shops suggest changing the sealed bearing to prevent failure. I would not be opposed to stuffing a spare FD in the saddle bag for long rides.

Those with failures please tell which bearings failed.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in