K1300GT vs. R1200RT vs. Honda ST? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Jul 26th, 2009, 7:59 am Thread Starter

K1300GT vs. R1200RT vs. Honda ST?

Hi Folks,

I'm currently a cruiser rider (Harley Heritage softail) who is looking at sport-tourers for my next bike. My test-ride on the R1200RT was 10 days straight and 2700 miles. Unfortunately, my next 2 test bike rides haven't been that long, but am looking for some feedback nevertheless! I've test-ridden the K1300 (of the candy apple red type that Semper Fi of NH bought) two times, and the Honda ST once.

Here's my impressions and am looking for some feedback from riders who've ridden any of these bikes or tested them, etc. Thus, any ideas, tips, suggestions, reasons for picking one over the other would be helpful!

R1200 RT - great bike. Likes the seated position, the turn signals on left and right sides, the nimble handling and easy steering input, light weight of the bike, and the sound of the boxer twin. Look of the bike with bags off - it doesn't look like it's missing something. Cruise control and heated seats/handgrips. Dislikes: Mirrors (can't see like I like to), and my legs felt a bit cramped. I'm 5'7 leggy female rider. I've since discovered that there's fixes for both those issues.

K1300GT. Likes: Bike with the throttle that never ends and movable handlebars. Light weight of the bikes. I didn't see this bike w/ its bags off, but presume its rear looks like the R1200 RT when it's bags off. Cruise control and heated seats/handgrips. The mirrors (I could see every where). Dislikes: Seat felt really stiff and uncomfortable. Felt like a bird sitting on a perch, rather than as one with the machine. Turn signals all on one side. I also found the throttle to be very touchy and this affected my ability for smooth throttle ons, etc. With handlebars in most relaxed position, I still felt like I was leaning forward a little too much, as for some reason, my left wrist felt like it was taking a lot of pressure. Liked the sound of R12's engine better than this one.

HONDA ST (non ABS version): Likes: smooth throttle and stopping, responsive steering input and handling in turns. Gigundus gas tank. Mirrors (I could see every where). The fact that they have rubber mounts on the side that will protect fairing and side area from falls. This bike definitely does not show its weight (heaviest of sport-tourers in the 4 cylinder class). The reportedly low maintenance fees and long distance between standard maintenance checks. Dislikes: . Heat off the engine was extremely uncomfortable within 10-15 minutes or riding. No cruise control or heated grips (why build a mile-eater with no cruz so a person can occassionally rest throttle hand. Felt a little like I was sitting ON the bike as opposed to in it, but not as high-perched as I felt on the BMW K. This bike looks patently retarded without the bags. Bags were a little more difficult to operate than BMW bags. Same thing as K regarding the handlebar positioning, only the Honda was a little more aggressively seated and thus, my left wrist took even more punishment.

Regards and shiny side up! Signed,

Joyce whose trying hard to do this process right and not let the Bike Bug take over
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Jul 26th, 2009, 8:40 am

Re: K1300GT vs. R1200RT vs. Honda ST?

I said this before to a young lady (to me at least) at my local beemer club web site when she asked about different bikes to get. Have you tried the LT? I'm 5'11 but I have only a 29 inch inseam and I sit flat footed. I never noticed the top heaviness others mention and in my 40 years of riding this is the best bike I've ever owned. The only one that came close was a R60/2 I rode for awhile back in the 70's. The price is in the same ballpark as the K1300 GT and I've freaked out many a crotch rocket rider by my acceleration from a stop (it helps to that the bike keeps pulling all the way up to the redline). And its fun watching them try to stop in a straight line in the short distance it takes to haul this bike down from speed. Others have said it here before and I repeat... This is a great bike.
post #3 of 27 Old Jul 26th, 2009, 8:47 am
Just ridin'

I think you've hit some of the key items on all the bikes. I have always wanted to like the St1300 more than I do. It is a very good bike, but the heat from the engine is nearly a deal breaker by itself. The absense of cruise control is something I really don't understand, considering it is one complaint dealers constantly hear from potential customers.

I own the GT and am very happy with it. Having owned the K1200GT that preceded it makes me really appreciate the many subtle improvements in the newer model. If you go with the loaded model, you get more items that Honda doesn't offer: ASC (traction control), TPM (tire pressure monitor) and ESA (electronic suspension adjustment). ESA is the best of the bunch, allowing you to adjust the shock absorber damping at both ends as well the spring preload and the spring rate on the rear. Besides being convenient, it also works very well. The spring rate change is new on the 1300's ESA II as are tweaks in the damping rates. The ESA on the R1200RT only does damping and rear preload. You didn't mention the heated seats that are on the GT and RT, but they are also welcome on cooler days.

My wife had an R1200RT before she purchased her K1200S, so I got to spend a lot of time with that bike. It is an amazing bike and one you will grow to appreciate more as the miles pile on. The GT and the RT share luggage systems and besides being more capacious than the Honda, they are much easier to operate. Add in the 49-liter topcase and either of them will hold an amazing amount of stuff. The RT holds more fuel than the GT and within about a half gallon of the ST1300. The GT gets better mileage than the ST1300, and the RT gets better mileage than both. The RT can easily get 300 miles before stopping for fuel. I own an R1200GSA which shares an engine with the RT and I have really grown to like it. The boxer is a very reliable and capable powerplant and is the engine that has served BMW for decades. It is an easy engine to like with loads of torque and a pleasant personality on the road. The transmission is a little smoother than the GT. The boxer is a little easier to maintain, especially valve adjustments. With no water cooling, you save some weight and the added maintenance. It is a little buzzy at some speeds, but the vibration is never terribly intrusive. While I chose the GT for pure performance, the RT is the one bike of the three you mention that is probably the best all-round package. It is the lightest of the bunch and clearly the easiest to handle around town.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 Old Jul 26th, 2009, 10:02 am

"I also found the throttle to be very touchy and this affected my ability for smooth throttle ons, etc."

I too was a little concerned about this at the beginning, but once I learned what the engine/tranny likes, it absolutely ceased to be an issue. Basically, the throttle sensitivity decreases at lower RPM's & after a while you subconsciously keep them in a range that makes sense for the kind of riding you're doing at the moment.

In any gear, there is an engine speed below which the throttle response is very relaxed. At higher RPM's the throttle will demand more of your attention, but you can save that for when you're in the mood for it.

"With handlebars in most relaxed position, I still felt like I was leaning forward a little too much"

The GT has a typical sport-touring riding position, and to stay comfortable for a long time, I need to put some weight on my foot pegs and use my legs and back to support my upper body, which takes all the weight off my wrists . What works for me might not work for you, though, since at 6'0" with 30" inseam, I fit the bike much differently.
post #5 of 27 Old Jul 26th, 2009, 11:25 am

Very good assessment, Joyce. Ultimately, it comes down to a very personal choice, but you can't go wrong.

Believe it or not, I searched for 2 1/2 years for a bike to replace my V-4 Honda Magna. My final choices were K1200GT (chosen), R1200RT, and the Yamaha FJR-1300. The Honda ST fell off the list early. At the time, the new Kawasaki Concours was not yet on the market.

I have had my K1200GT for two years and 20K miles and I love it. I'm sure I would love the RT equally well. One of the things I like about them are the many features that aren't available on the non-BMW bikes - the cruise control, heated seats and grips, and TPM for example. I plan to keep my KGT for a long time, but would never want a bike that didn't have cruise control or TPM. For that matter, I would not buy a bike without ABS. (I have been riding for 30 years, but consider ABS to be an essential life saving feature.) Keep in mind that these features add complexity - more things to break and more expensive to maintain.

Some of the reasons I chose the GT were that I prefer four cylinder engines, I wanted less faring protection (more air), and I like the heads-up mirror position on the GT much better (which I use to judge lane position when splitting lanes) .

I adapted to the sportier riding position, but I still install bar backs (handlebar extenders) when I go on longer rides. (I just finished a ride from Mexico to Canada in under 36 hours, plus the return trip.) I added other accessories, such as a custom seat, to suit my needs.

Based on your comments, you might prefer the R1200RT, because its two-cylinder engine and ergonomics are a better match for your previous experience. It has a less leg-cramped riding position than the GT. Your other complaint was the RT's mirror position. I don't know how you feel about two sets of mirrors, but the RT has additional mirror mount holes in the handlebars - you can put suitable mirrors there. Furthermore, the RTs faring may be a better choice in RI. If I lived in RI, I would make sure my bike has heated seats and grips, too.

As I said above, I wouldn't want a bike without factory ABS, cruise control, or TPM. The TPM option is much more than a gimmick. TPM saves time for tire checks, but it also saves time because you don't have to fill tires as often. When you use a gauge, you lose air each time you check your tires. Furthermore, the TPM gave me an early warning on the dash when I took a nail in my rear tire last year.

Whatever you decide, BMW or otherwise, I am sure that you will find the right bike. It is a great time in the market to be looking.
post #6 of 27 Old Jul 26th, 2009, 12:51 pm

I'm a Harley rider with over 40 years experience who just went to an '08 GT in January. I have almost 17,000 miles on it now and I agree with your assessment of all three bikes, especially the mirrors on the RT and the heating issue on the Honda.

It took me awhile to get used to the forward leaning riding position. I installed bar backs and changed the pegs a little over an inch down and forward. Now I find the riding position to be more comfortable than the Harley feet forward position. I'm 6'1" tall with a 35" inseam, so the legs are a little bent. I have become accustomed to the riding position and will remove the foot peg modification as I don't like scraping the pegs in the curves.

You get used to all this, including the touchy throttle, very quickly, and speaking of quickly, the GT will leave the other two bikes in the dust. The in line 4 screams and with a Remus exhaust sounds as healthy as it is.

I now think of all the things that annoyed me, the twitchy feeling of the bike, the throttle, etc. as just what they are, responsiveness. It wants to turn and it wants to go.

The heated grips and seats add to comfort on cold days and the bags and trunk are great, one hand removal, right into your hotel room. The ABS (which I fought having for years) is a life saver, cruise control, suspension control, traction control, all change your attention from thinking about the technical aspects of riding to just riding.

Curves, passing, long distance between fill ups, 700 mile days are just one big smile on the GT.

Ride fast. Take chances.

2008 K1200GT
2004 Harley Road Glide "Kapo"
post #7 of 27 Old Jul 26th, 2009, 1:11 pm

I have owned all three bikes and settled on the RT.

Quite simply, the ST and GT do not offer the total package of comfort, protection, handling and long distance like the RT.

If your legs are a bit cramped you can adjust seat, or lower the pegs.
post #8 of 27 Old Jul 26th, 2009, 5:13 pm

Lots of very good opinions on here from some very experienced and knowledgeable riders, but in the end you need to ride whatever feels best to you... of course I am stating the obvious here, so I will add my 2 cents on the wonders of the R1200RT (^: Like the Harley Davidson, BMW is not a follower, but rather a leader in it's own way. I see BMW to sport touring as Harley is to cruising and cruisers, lots of people trying to copy them, which is the highest form of flattery. (I hope I don't get flamed here)
post #9 of 27 Old Jul 26th, 2009, 6:05 pm

Angry Re: K1300GT vs. R1200RT vs. Honda ST?

Word has it the ST has a handling quirk at speed with wind conditions. This feed back is from many LD riders, not to mention the heat that can produce third degree burns.
FYI

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #10 of 27 Old Jul 26th, 2009, 9:33 pm

I'll let you know why I went with GT for 2 reasons - one the motor, two the fit of the bike. I prefer the ergo relationship of bar/seat/peg than that of the RT and I like the seat, the firmer style allows me to move around more than on the RT. Handling wise the GT is no slouch and I think with a few more miles I will be able to snap this thing around as easily as the RT. Regarding the throttle no issues and the clutch control is nice. The GT shift easier and faster. I had a perfectly good RT and the test ride made me change my mind.

Final thought it's your bike you need to be comfortable on it.

Tough choice but a fun one !

2009 KGT 1300 Apple Red (mine)
2008 R1200RT Biarritz Blue (sold)
2005 R1200ST Piedmont Red/Light Magnesium (hers)
2003 Goldwing Black (formerly ours and sold)
1999 Valkyrie Tourer Black (sold)

post #11 of 27 Old Jul 26th, 2009, 10:58 pm

The '06-08 GT offers the same control layout as the RT...why not look into an 06-08GT and put a power FRK into it and get all the issues cleaned up. Pricing would be better, and you have basically the same goodness of a new GT.

My .02

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #12 of 27 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 9:32 am

It still baffles me why anyone likes a heated seat. It irrigates the Hell out of my butt.

Now….no one should make heated grips, heated seat and cruise control a major factor when choosing what’s next. All those items can be added to any motorcycle for less than the repair cost of a KGT driveway drop.

Every bike is a compromise so drives what makes you feel good. If that means paying an extra $8,000 over another bike with the same performance measures and within the same class, so be it. If you can afford it there is never a need to look for affirmation.

Honestly speaking I was a hair’s width (Credit Union’s check in pocket) from buying a K1300GT, my dream bike. But it’s quirkiness was a section marker that eliminated it as a choice. Especially when compared to Kawasaki which makes a much smoother riding/behaving model (Concours-14) within that class.

Thank god some dealers do offer test rides.

OK….my new dream bike will be what BMW offers for the R1200RT replacement. Fingers crossed. But methinks the new VFR1000 will come out at the same time. In that case.......
post #13 of 27 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 10:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray
Word has it the ST has a handling quirk at speed with wind conditions. This feed back is from many LD riders, not to mention the heat that can produce third degree burns.
FYI
I must agree with this assessment. I just got back from Las Vegas where a buddy and i rented two ST1300s. At highways speeds the bike developed a wobble when behind any traffic. Most notable with the wind screen any higher than the bottomed out position.

I am 6'1" and felt pretty comfortable on the bike but I did not feel like I was one wiht the bike. It felt heavy in the turns, my normal bike is a GS. The St will eat miles though. Likes to cruise above 80.

The only other thing was the heat. I felt like I was baking. Now with that said it was 100 degrees but my right foot felt like it was on fire until I moved it to a somewaht uncomfortable position away from the exhaust.

My overall impression was the bike is ok. And just OK.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #14 of 27 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 12:12 pm

Hi All:

What kind of range are you getting from the RT and the K1300GT?

I am considering one or the other to supplement the R1200R, which I love, as a better 2-up machine for the wife. My only real problem with the RT is that the fairing behind the cylinders is very close to my chins and interferes with putting my feet down. Is there something I am missing here?

Obviously the KGT is a different beast, but it has way more leg room for me and does go like a scalded cat !

Interesting note on the Honda ST; the local Harley dealership has one they took on trade and they have on the sticker "Hot Ride at a good price". Truth in advertising I guess, though compared to the big V-twins, I had to laugh at that.

Thanks,
Doug
post #15 of 27 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 12:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The wobble issue alone would keep me off the ST1300 but add in the price and lack of accessories (in the US) and it's a non-starter for me.

Of the other two, the RT appeals to me because of it's relative reliability vs. the GT.

Do yourself (and us) a favor and ride a C14 and FJR as well and give us your thoughts. At the their price points, both are hard to beat.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #16 of 27 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 8:40 am

Hi Joyce, had an ST for 3 years, good handling, decent power, good ergonomics, boring and engine heat, rode a GT for a while, awesome power, decent ergonomics, bought an 08 RT last year, comfortable, great handling, decent power, great fuel economy,proven engine design which I think is a classic, sort of like the Harley, absolutly love it, that was my choice, good luck with yours, can`t really go wrong with any of them
post #17 of 27 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 8:03 am

I cannot speak to the Honda ST 1300. Among the riders in my club, the ST 1300 is praised as a great handling bike with heat issues, as indicated by others.

I have an '08 RT, which has 24,000 miles on the clock since new. I came from an LT. As others have said, the handling, agility and all round utility of the RT make it my choice ride. I loved the LT for its smoothness and comfort but the RT's ease of handling and superior ability to handle the twisties won me over. All 3 bikes you are considering are great handling machines.

I test rode the K1300GT this spring. I am in awe of its sheer power. The acceleration is seductive but for me, it is a feature that I would use sparingly since I need to keep my driving license clear of demerits and the RT is more than capable of creating havoc with my insurance premiums. One strong feature of the GT for a 5'8" rider with a 28" inseam is the ability to flat foot the GT over the RT.

As far as any of the issues that you raised that are of a concern to you, they are all pretty much fixable in the aftermarket. You can add extra mirrors to the RT (highly recommended), e.g., Saeng, buy a custom saddle, have tunes or change the ergos to suit.

I love the RT since I am doing my own maintenance with the help of Jim Van Baden's excellent DVD and a Clymer manual. And saving a ton in the bargain. It is not hard to do and the outlay for tools to do the job is minimal and is easily recovered on the first regular service.

I was at my local BMW dealer yesterday and his understanding is that the 2010 RT will be given a face lift. That usually means some minor cosmetic tweaks. In this case, he said that the 2010 RT will likely have the same controls and fluid resovoirs as the GT and it will have the newer ESA II feature. He told me that the RT is a very strong seller, that it is hard to find second hand units and that they sell quickly. This means that the bike will hold its value.

Having too many choices can be a pain!

Let us know what you decide.

Paul M. Feldman

2008 - R1200RT "Cino"
2005 - KLT - "Tipsy" (now "Toasty") RIP
2004 - Suzuki Burgman 650
1978 - GL 1000
1985 - GL 1200 20th Anniversary Edition
1976 - Honda 750A
1973 - Honda CB 360 - "Bone Shaker"
1966 - Suzuki S80 - "Old Smokey"
post #18 of 27 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 9:56 am

I'm able to comment a bit on the RT and GT but the Honda was'nt on my list after it was withdrawn from a number of police forces. When I test rode it, it just felt too heavy so didn't go there.

The RT was a fantastic handling machine and I had it for two years. I personally found it a bit top heavy if i was looking to be critical but apart from that I did nearly 12k. What killed it for me was horrendous quality with all the main electronic parts failing in the 22 months that i owned it. The GT is just (IMO) better. the centre of gravity seems lower than the RT and it leans over easily for european hairpins and handles like a dream. the seat probably needs a bit more work and my switch on the left handlebar has been replaced. In Europe this summer I got between 46 -52mpg (Imperial) at outrageous speeds 2 up loaded as opposed to last year's 52-54 on the RT. so the GT wins for its turbine smoothness, massive power and all the toys particularly the ESA2.
post #19 of 27 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 10:18 am

Based on what I’ve seen, there are a lot of people that switch from a RT to GT for whatever reason. There are a lot that switched from a GT to RT for…whatever reason. But there are quite a few that switch back form the GT to the RT (RT-GT-RT), and those riders are very vocal abut why they went back to the RT. There may be a couple, or not, that went from GT to RT and back to GT. If so they’ve yet to make themselves known.
post #20 of 27 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 9:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier6162
Based on what I’ve seen, there are a lot of people that switch from a RT to GT for whatever reason. There are a lot that switched from a GT to RT for…whatever reason. But there are quite a few that switch back form the GT to the RT (RT-GT-RT), and those riders are very vocal abut why they went back to the RT. There may be a couple, or not, that went from GT to RT and back to GT. If so they’ve yet to make themselves known.
so far a happy convert RT to GT.........................

2009 KGT 1300 Apple Red (mine)
2008 R1200RT Biarritz Blue (sold)
2005 R1200ST Piedmont Red/Light Magnesium (hers)
2003 Goldwing Black (formerly ours and sold)
1999 Valkyrie Tourer Black (sold)

post #21 of 27 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 11:40 am

One thing to consider is how long you tend to keep machines.

If you change every few years, the RT will likely save you some $ on the next one. Take a look at used bike ads and you'll see a fair number of GTs but comparatively few (or no) RTs.
(eg latest BMW MOA mag)

I tend to keep mine a very long time so care about materials quality, maintenance ease or cost (I do my own), and almost nothing about resale. Both BMW models have better materials (eg prolific use of stainless, plastics and other corrosion and rot resistant materials), etc than Japanese bikes though the Honda is cut above other Japanese brands.

I own an 08 RT and my previous bike owned for 12 yrs was a Honda V-4. I bought it "up north" and discovered how miserable it was in summer weather down south after I moved to NC. Made me put "water cooled" on the list of unwanted design criteria for hot weather and that was one of several reasons for picking the RT over the GT though I have no experience riding GTs down south. The RT engine heat can be felt on the feet a little at high speed on the hottest days but is not a pain in traffic like the hot air from radiators or the pipes on Harleys can be.

The RT has excellent lower body weather protection and there are lots of windscreens available so you can tailor top side protection to as much or as little as you prefer. It is a very good all weather machine and very comfortable in cold weather with today's gear. The heated seats have some utility but I see little use for the heated grips unless your cold weather riding is at slow speeds so I agree with the comment that those are no reason to pick anything, especially given the fact that many riders opt for aftermarket seats. But the cruise control is a big deal if you do long distance and most of the aftermarket stuff in no match for the BMW factory item.

Anyway, all are good machines and way better than bikes were when many of us learned to ride. Like cars, they are faster, handle better, need less maintenance and are more durable.
post #22 of 27 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 10:49 am

Cool Re: K1300GT vs. R1200RT vs. Honda ST?

RE: RT models. I liked the way mine performed. Flawless, no issues, but knew I gave up horsepower and had an old technology bike: "oil cooled". But, add 100 pounds. The thing I did not like about the RT was the little panic I got in stop and go traffic when I could see the temperature on the bike going into red and then getting as close as one bar from the top.
The other thing about RT's, I never slowed down for the scarified road surfaces. It is rock steady.
BTW: I think the new RT's are gorgeous - especially the gold-ish color.

RE: Honda ST. I think only 5 speeds and the smallest gas tank.
No doubt reliable. But no tester bragged about it's get up and go.
When your riding around and you see the K-GT bikes - you'll get that little
pain that if you try, you know your bike will get dusted.
The ST is like saying: "You'll like her, she has a good personality".

RE: LT's. Super good looking bike. Way more appealing than any Honda product.
Comfort looked super, ride is probably fantastic and what I thought was most
impressive was the rider feedback. No matter the size or weight, the rider's love the power - and that coming from a bike that big and heavy !!! Cudos BMW Engineering.

RE: GT series. I had a choice between a new '09 K1300GT or the "old generation"
1200 GT. I went with the '08 with ultra low miles. Why ?
- BMW detuned the "09 by 15 horsepower
- there are some service issues with the electronics in the bars
- no one is convinced about the rear drive issues - so that cancels out.
- no major change in looks.
- I don't know which is faster. But I would bet small money on the '08.

I wanted the status of BMW, the horsepower of BMW and the feel of BMW over the Japanese bikes and most of all, it was time to stop being a pretender and buy the real deal.

My opinion and you know what an opinion is worth .....

Gymbo
'08 GT
post #23 of 27 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 11:40 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Actually, some corrections here. The ST13 has the largest fuel tank at 7.7 US gallons. Compare that to the RT with 7.1, the LT with 6.2, and the GT with 6.3. But the ST does get the worst mileage so it has pretty much the same range as the others, although the RT does have an advantage here with its large tank and better overall mileage.

And the RT is the lightest of those four, although not really that much lighter than the GT if you consider the saddlebags (included in the GT's published weight but not the RT's). The ST and LT are both significantly heavier.

And the K13GT is not detuned. The K12GT claims 152 HP, while the K13GT claims 160 HP. Plus the K13GT is simply much smoother across the entire rev range, with more torque coming on much sooner than the K12. It is simply a much smoother, faster bike than its predecessor.

However, the K12 is also a fine bike, with lots of very satisfied riders.

The rest of your comments are spot on. Especially the "You'll like her, she has a good personality."

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #24 of 27 Old Aug 4th, 2009, 7:59 am

what is FRK????
post #25 of 27 Old Aug 4th, 2009, 9:50 am
IBR# 366

Garage

The PowerFRK is a small box that plugs into your air box temperature sensor that pretty much eliminates the flat spots and rough idle common on K12 bikes. There's a lot more information in this thread.

It's not cheap (close to $300), but it makes a huge improvement in the bike's smoothness and overall performance.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #26 of 27 Old Jul 18th, 2011, 6:53 pm

Hi all,

I know this thread is almost 2 years old, and the thread starter has long ago decided on her choice. But I thought I'd add a note here rather than start a new one. I also know that since this a beamer site, we should expect loyalty to that brand. But having had an ST for 4 years (bought used in 07, just sold it) and just bought a used 07 K1200GT last fall, thought someone might be interested in my take so far.

Let me begin by saying that I'm over 65, and not into tight twisties, so I will not be able to compare the two machines with regards to this type of riding.

The ride of the two bikes, in my opinion, is quite similar. Both handle very well, and have plenty of power. I can accelerate around 18 wheelers going over he mountain passes here in Colorado no problem with either bike. The GT does handle better in cross winds-I'll say that. Bikes look the same to me without the bags, but I don't consider that an issue anyway. Both bikes had similar mileage when purchased. The two big differences for me has been the purchase price and the amount of service required and the cost of that service.

On the ST: less expensive bike by far, bought it 3 years old, and never had one speck of trouble with the bike, no recalls, nothing. Changed the oil myself-piece of cake. Rode it on 3 or 4 trips over 500 miles, and the rest just commuting and around town. Had after market Spencerized seat, riser bar, heated grips, and throttle lock, non ABS. Did notice some engine heat since the fairings are open on the side, when going slow, but not much.

On the K12GT, I enjoy riding the bike, and it had only 7500 miles when purchased 3 years old. But paid a couple thousand more than I did for the ST. Just took a 1500 miles trip. Got Corbin seats, riser bar, and Cee Bailey windshield. But I've had the break-pad wear indicator light on ever since I bought the bike (been told there's no cure for that until I need to but new brake pads), took it in for recall work last month (rear relay link), as well as another recall last fall (front break lines). On my trip I had it die on me twice at low RPM after running a while (read about that on this site). Started up fine after each time. Changing the oil is much more complicated.

But the most telling example is this: In both cases I wanted to wire 12 volt power to my after market GPS (same GPS in both cases). On the ST, the Honda dealer did it, including an extra rocker switch, and charged me about $60. On the K12GT, the BMW dealer did it, told me I had to buy the BMW GPS power cable and spice it with the GPS cable I had, also installed a rocker switch and charged me $300. So I paid 5 times as much for the same final result.

I'll keep the Beamer, cause I do enjoy it, but I'm not sure what I'll buy next.

Cheers,

Dave
post #27 of 27 Old Jul 18th, 2011, 7:41 pm

Hi Joyce! It has to be alot of fun making this decision because the finalists are three great bikes. I have found that you can get a bike pretty much set up to your ergo's in the aftermarket with the judicious purchase of bar backs, peg relo kits, and higher or lower wind shields and seats. I have a GT and a GSA and have made both of them comfortable for my 6' 4" frame. It takes a little experimenting but with a some work you should be able to get any one of these bikes set up so that you can ride all day long comfortably. Lots of the BMW aftermarket stuff you can find right on this website under the sellers section. I bought my Rick Meyer aftermarket seat and other stuff on this site at considerable savings from new. Also if you spend some time on this site navigating around you will get some great advice on virtually any question you may have.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in