K1300GT Oil Consumption - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 1:55 am Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Question K1300GT Oil Consumption

For you K1300 owners out there, how much oil does your bike use over 1000 miles, and when did it stop using oil, assuming it has stopped?

Thanks.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 8:06 am

Re: K1300GT Oil Consumption

had my 600 done at the 1100!

Before turning the bike over the oil level was fine and I had no residue on the end of the exhaust as I used to on the RT

2009 KGT 1300 Apple Red (mine)
2008 R1200RT Biarritz Blue (sold)
2005 R1200ST Piedmont Red/Light Magnesium (hers)
2003 Goldwing Black (formerly ours and sold)
1999 Valkyrie Tourer Black (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 33 Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 9:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
For you K1300 owners out there, how much oil does your bike use over 1000 miles, and when did it stop using oil, assuming it has stopped?

Thanks.
Went to Illinois (4100 odd miles) and back, didn't use a drop and then had my second service done. It should be noted that in my experience inline 4s do not use oil like BMW's parallel twin oil heads. Didn't use any oil prior to that for first service either which was done near a thousand miles.

Tony

Tony Carpenter

BMW K1200LT 2008

post #4 of 33 Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 9:41 am

4600 miles of really mixed riding from commuting to touring in europe and not a noticeable drop used
post #5 of 33 Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 1:03 pm
Just ridin'

Our trip to Jasper and back was just over 3000 miles. Neither my K1300GT or Michelle's K1300S used any oil to speak of. Her bike had about 600 miles on it at the beginning and My GT had about 2500.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #6 of 33 Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 3:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
Our trip to Jasper and back was just over 3000 miles. Neither my K1300GT or Michelle's K1300S used any oil to speak of. Her bike had about 600 miles on it at the beginning and My GT had about 2500.

Did I miss the story and pics somewhere???

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #7 of 33 Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 4:27 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerider
Did I miss the story and pics somewhere???
Pics are at:

http://www.prades.net/jasper2009

The pictures tell a little of the story, but I have not written about it. The trip was great and the handful of us who made the trip had fun. The weather while we were in Jasper was very unsettled, but we got a couple of days of riding in. Wednesday, Michelle and I had a great dinner at Villa Caruso in Jasper. Our small group got together for a cookout on Thursday evening and all went to dinner at Tekarra on Friday evening.

Randy and Rina were wonderful hosts and we are already anxious to go back. This part of Canada is a place everyone who rides should visit. We will try to put something together again next year.

I didn't take as many pictures as usual because Michelle and I were so totally relaxed and comfortable in our room at the Jasper Park Lodge, we were reluctant to go out

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #8 of 33 Old Jul 24th, 2009, 12:20 pm Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks to everyone for your feedback, this is very helpful.A little more background on my issue as I was purposely vague in my original post.

My 1300GT has about 4700 miles on it right now, and has used 3 quarts of oil since the 600 mile service. The consumption rate seems to be rising vs. falling as the motor breaks in, which is counter-intuitive to what you would expect from a motor. At this point it is using roughly a quart every 750-800 miles. There are no visible leaks or oil puddles, no oil misting on the bike bodywork or the exhaust tip, and I haven't noticed any smoke from the exhaust, but have not followed the bike to check that more closely. This is an excessive amount of oil usage and no other BMW I've ever owned has ever used oil at this rate. My Harleys didn't even consume it like this!

I have been working with San Jose BMW on this for a few weeks and opened a PUMA ticket to begin the investigation through the corporate chain of command. BMW NA's initial response when it was a 1/2 quart every 800 miles was this was "in spec" for this motor, albeit just. I am sure that I am now out of that spec. I've also contacted BMW Customer Relations (including the people who helped with the buyback of my 1200GT) to escalate this on their side as well.

I am pressuring them to get moving quickly on a resolution as CCR is a month away and I intend to ride this bike there. But at the current consumption rate I would need to carry almost 2 gallons of oil along to cover the trip. Needless to say, that ain't gonna happen. I do have the 04 GS Adventure as a backup but it's new to me and not rigged for the road how I would want /need it (suspension, seat adjustments, wired for all my crap, etc.), and I don't really have time to get it ready before the trip. Obviously if backed into a corner I would do what I have to do, but that's not my first choice for this.

I'll keep you posted on how things go. Thanks again for all of your input.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #9 of 33 Old Jul 24th, 2009, 1:55 pm

Oil level is fine, before and after the first service.

1986 Yamaha FJ600
2002 Honda VTX 1800C
2006 BMW R1200RT
2009 BMW K1300GT
post #10 of 33 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 11:52 pm Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quick update - BMW NA has SJBMW doing some exploratory testing on my bike, including a compression and leak down test (PITA considering how the motor is packaged in there). Dropped it off tonight and will likely take a couple of days. I'm happy they are taking some quick action to figure out what's going on. We are completely befuddled as to where the oil is going; no signs of it escaping from the bike anywhere. And after 150 miles since the last quart I put in it's down a little from then.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #11 of 33 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 6:56 am

Quote:
Quick update - BMW NA has SJBMW doing some exploratory testing on my bike, including a compression and leak down test (PITA considering how the motor is packaged in there). Dropped it off tonight and will likely take a couple of days. I'm happy they are taking some quick action to figure out what's going on. We are completely befuddled as to where the oil is going; no signs of it escaping from the bike anywhere. And after 150 miles since the last quart I put in it's down a little from then.
I remember at least one LT that had unusual oil consumption when new, traced to a damaged cylinder lining (factory defect). IIRC, BMWNA authorized a new engine replacement. If that's where this is heading, you'll want to think about/decide ahead of time whether that's acceptable to you, or you want to push for a new bike. Not sure you have a legal leg to stand on, but figured you'd be better off thinking about it now, rather than having to make a snap decision later.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #12 of 33 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 9:27 am

Dang it !

You have the best luck,, You and Mark..

Sounds like a bad cylinder to me as well.
Don't guess you've looked into the cylinders thru the spark plug holes to see if there is any scoring. Inspection camera time...

Good Luck.

Maybe you'll be riding another new GT to CCR.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #13 of 33 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 12:56 pm Thread Starter
Super Moderator

This GT is basically new, it's the one BMW gave me to replace my problematic 08 1200GT back in February (there's that luck thing). I don't know what the options will be until we know more about what's going on. All I know is I need it fixed quickly so I have time to run in whatever change they make (motor, bike, little rubber thingy that absorbs all oil that contacts it, other) so I can be road ready for CCR.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #14 of 33 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 1:55 pm

Holy crap David ... that's why we can't have nice things.

I'll call ya soon.
post #15 of 33 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 4:47 pm
Ted

Quote:
This GT is basically new, it's the one BMW gave me to replace my problematic 08 1200GT back in February (there's that luck thing).
hmm, modeled after the "Tiger Slam" we could call this the "David Slam" if you manage to have 3 new GT's within 12 months!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #16 of 33 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 7:20 pm

David,
Sorry to hear about your new round of problems. My 07 GT is finally running great (The way it should) Don't be offended, But you can't ride my bike!!!!!

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #17 of 33 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 1:10 am Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks, guys. Yes, luck has been a fickle mistress for me this year.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #18 of 33 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 9:40 am

Quote:
Thanks, guys. Yes, luck has been a fickle mistress for me this year.
David
I now have 11,900 miles on the 1300GT and it just doesn't use/lose any oil. The oil stays right close to the mark between changes. Hope they find the problem and you get it fixed.

Don S
post #19 of 33 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 9:56 am Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Well, we finally have some news after more than a week of research. It appears oil is getting into the exhaust ports for the #1 and 2 cylinders around the area of the air injectors for those ports. It could be as simple as pulling the valve cover and replacing some seals and gaskets which may have gotten pinched or damaged in the manufacturing process. From what I'm told the worst case wouldn't be much more than that and they do not need to open up the motor and do extensive work in there. So at this point its really good news, and my bike should be fixed in the next few days and OK to go to CCR! I'm not going to start full on jumping for joy just yet, I still need to run the bike in after the fix to see if the consumption ceases, but this looks to be the root cause of the issue.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #20 of 33 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 10:49 am
IBR# 366

Garage

That's great news, David. Having a good dealer is priceless with these bikes. Sorry I'll miss you at CCR, but I'll be a little busy that week . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #21 of 33 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 11:07 am Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
That's great news, David. Having a good dealer is priceless with these bikes. Sorry I'll miss you at CCR, but I'll be a little busy that week . . .
Honestly, I think your priorities are all screwed up.

Hopefully we'll see you at Fort Bragg, and Cambria next year, too!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #22 of 33 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 6:57 pm

Quote:
It could be as simple as pulling the valve cover and replacing some seals and gaskets which may have gotten pinched or damaged in the manufacturing process.
OK. After Ken and I did his valve check, I'm trying to think what there is that would get pinched or damaged that would let oil in. If it is a valve keeper, they will need to pull the head.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #23 of 33 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 9:00 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Hopefully we'll see you at Fort Bragg, and Cambria next year, too!
Cambria maybe, but Fort Bragg's an awfully long ride just for a weekend . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #24 of 33 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 9:01 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
OK. After Ken and I did his valve check, I'm trying to think what there is that would get pinched or damaged that would let oil in. If it is a valve keeper, they will need to pull the head.
David's had the problem since new. So if something was damaged at the factory during manufacturing/assembly then it may be deeper inside the bike than you and I got to. At least until the next time . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #25 of 33 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 11:49 pm Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Yeah, I have no idea. But Chris (SJBMW owner) seems confident it's an easy fix and won't require digging into the engine extensively. I'll keep you guys posted on what we find out.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #26 of 33 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 11:51 pm Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Cambria maybe, but Fort Bragg's an awfully long ride just for a weekend . . .
Jeez, you are such a sissy when it comes to these longer rides. I know it might be a stretch for you, but it's only something like 450 miles.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #27 of 33 Old Aug 10th, 2009, 9:31 am

I've traveled 3600 miles in varying conditions, checked oil level several times, still within acceptable range.
post #28 of 33 Old Aug 15th, 2009, 9:37 am

So Mr. T, what's the latest report? Enquiring minds and all, since I'm curious which tail light I'll be trying desperately to keep up with in a few weeks

Dean and Deb
Golden, CO

post #29 of 33 Old Aug 15th, 2009, 9:28 pm Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I got the GT back after discovering how the oil was getting out of the engine and making one change/repair of something that appears to have been installed incorrectly during the manufacturing process. I put almost 400 miles on the GT today and it ran fine. I need to get some more on it so we can test the oil consumption (or lack thereof hopefully) over the next week or so. The first check seems Ok but we need to get more miles on it. So it's not clear which taillight you'll be watching at this point, but I'm hoping beyond all hopes it's the GT. I am getting the GSA ready though, which will cost me a bunch of cash I didn't intend to spend at this point

The ride today was going to Cambria for lunch then coming back. I broke my old record for getting there by about 25 minutes. I rode 162 miles in 2 hours and 33 minutes, with 100 of those miles on the Pacific Coast Highway. That's an average speed of 64.8 mph, including traffic and loads of twisties. Even if the bike still has issues, my head is clearer and I'm smiling bigger than I have in about 2 months.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #30 of 33 Old Aug 16th, 2009, 11:50 am

Quote:

The ride today was going to Cambria for lunch then coming back. I broke my old record for getting there by about 25 minutes. I rode 162 miles in 2 hours and 33 minutes, with 100 of those miles on the Pacific Coast Highway. That's an average speed of 64.8 mph, including traffic and loads of twisties. Even if the bike still has issues, my head is clearer and I'm smiling bigger than I have in about 2 months.
Ok, I'll skip following the tail light - could you at least leave a trail of bread crumbs? Glad you have your smile back.

Dean and Deb
Golden, CO

post #31 of 33 Old Aug 16th, 2009, 8:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsauer608
Ok, I'll skip following the tail light - could you at least leave a trail of bread crumbs? Glad you have your smile back.
Better than a trail of oil drops ...
post #32 of 33 Old Aug 16th, 2009, 9:26 pm Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsauer608
Come on, now. You were right there pretty much the entire time we were strafing Utah last year over all those awesome roads. I don't see why this year would be any different!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #33 of 33 Old Sep 19th, 2015, 7:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor View Post
I got the GT back after discovering how the oil was getting out of the engine and making one change/repair of something that appears to have been installed incorrectly during the manufacturing process. I put almost 400 miles on the GT today and it ran fine. I need to get some more on it so we can test the oil consumption (or lack thereof hopefully) over the next week or so. The first check seems Ok but we need to get more miles on it. So it's not clear which taillight you'll be watching at this point, but I'm hoping beyond all hopes it's the GT. I am getting the GSA ready though, which will cost me a bunch of cash I didn't intend to spend at this point

David, I am having the same problem with My 09 K1300 GT. Could you be more specific about the fix? My BMW dealership doesn't have a clue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in