? about Fuel range shown on BC - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 7:13 pm Thread Starter

? about Fuel range shown on BC

2 weeks ago I had trouble with my fuel tank venting after the bike was parked in the rain on it's side stand for about 30min. When I first discovered the problem my fuel gage would indicate that the tank was filling up as I rode until I left the filler cap open for the rest of the trip home. At the same time the BC fuel range reading was also increasing. Well, after sitting in my hot garage for one week, the venting problem fixed itself making me suspect that water got into the venting system somehow, even though Bill, at BMW ATL, said he has never seen that happen. Anyway, the fuel gage seem to be working properly now and the tank is venting. However, my fuel range reading is still screwed up.

Yesterday, I filled the tank for the first time since the venting problem and the tank read full. The BC fuel range read 263 miles at first then started to climb until it reached 290 miles, then started decreasing again. I rode about 85 miles and the tank is now reading around the 3/4 mark (2 gallons gone). However the range meter says I can go 246 miles when it should be reading around 180 miles. Anyone have any idea what's going on and what I can do to fix it. When I asked, Bill, he just said you can't rely on the fuel range meter. Before the venting problem occurred, it was dead on accurate. Would disconnecting the battery reset the computer?

Thanks.

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jul 5th, 2009, 10:34 am

Re: ? about Fuel range shown on BC

I think your problem is that you need the sensor strip inside the tank looked at. I had the same problem and the dealer took the strip out and dried it off and reinstalled it. That trick did not work, so I had the fuel level sensor replaced last Friday under warranty and it seems to work like a charm.
post #3 of 4 Old Jul 5th, 2009, 10:40 am

The fuel sensor is a common problem with GT's. Don't let your dealer tell you that you shouldn't be using your distance till empty gauge. That is BS. When you buy an expensive bike like this, you are paying for these things to work and if they aren't, it is his job to make sure that they do.

post #4 of 4 Old Jul 6th, 2009, 6:48 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronk1200lt
The fuel sensor is a common problem with GT's. Don't let your dealer tell you that you shouldn't be using your distance till empty gauge. That is BS. When you buy an expensive bike like this, you are paying for these things to work and if they aren't, it is his job to make sure that they do.
You misunderstood me. Bill did not say that I could not use it or that he would not attempt to fix it, but that the Range computer depends on many variables and that you can not absolutely rely on it.

I currently started a new full time position 5 days per week and it is difficult for me to get my bike from Columbus to Atlanta. If I took it to BMW of ATL, there is no question in my mind that they would fix it. Right now it's just a PITA to do so, not their fault. It's just one of the problems of riding a BMW with a small dealer network.

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in