I need a stickier seat - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old Jun 17th, 2009, 6:26 pm Thread Starter

I need a stickier seat

I have a Rick Meyer seat for my 2007 K1200GT. The seat is leather so I end up sliding forward when I take a corner or brake. Is there anything I can put on the leather to make it more adhesive or is there another solution anyone could suggest other than getting the seat recovered?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old Jun 17th, 2009, 6:47 pm

Re: I need a stickier seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronk1200lt
I have a Rick Meyer seat for my 2007 K1200GT. The seat is leather so I end up sliding forward when I take a corner or brake. Is there anything I can put on the leather to make it more adhesive or is there another solution anyone could suggest other than getting the seat recovered?
Get knee grips that go on the side of the tank. I'm not sure who makes them but someone that has them should chime in soon. Grif, David Taylor, Meese ???

Sammie Shreeve
2012 K1600GTL
on the rear seat only
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 Old Jun 17th, 2009, 7:27 pm

Always check out Jerry's inventory when in doubt.

http://piratesk12site.net/TechSpec.htm

David

post #4 of 33 Old Jun 17th, 2009, 7:46 pm

Lexol leather cleaner and conditioner always makes my car seats sticky. Or you could fasten your seat belt a bit tighter!!!

Bruce

post #5 of 33 Old Jun 17th, 2009, 11:17 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Talk to Rick and get your seat fixed right. A properly fitted and sculpted seat won't allow you to slide forward like that. Everything else is just a band-aid fix.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 33 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 1:20 am
Super Moderator

Some adjustments from Rick will help. I also highly recommend the TechSpec Gripster pads. There is very little friction for your knees when you grip the tank during braking and these work like a charm.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #7 of 33 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 6:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
Some adjustments from Rick will help. I also highly recommend the TechSpec Gripster pads. There is very little friction for your knees when you grip the tank during braking and these work like a charm.
I agree with David. I slipped forward badly with the stock seat and Grif told me about the Gripster pads. I got them and cured the problem. I received my saddle from Rick Mayer in November and have not had a problem. I think you will have the problem with any saddle without the grip pads due to the design of the bike (Spout Touring). The bike is designed to have a slight forward leaning position, which I have about eliminated with Rick' s seat and the handlebar set backs. If I could just do something with the pegs, it would as good as the LT.

Look down towards the bottom of this site for the K1200GT pads.
http://www.techspec-usa.com/products/gs_bmw.html

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #8 of 33 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 10:02 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWDOC
I agree with David. I slipped forward badly with the stock seat and Grif told me about the Gripster pads. I got them and cured the problem. I received my saddle from Rick Mayer in November and have not had a problem. I think you will have the problem with any saddle without the grip pads due to the design of the bike (Spout Touring). The bike is designed to have a slight forward leaning position, which I have about eliminated with Rick' s seat and the handlebar set backs. If I could just do something with the pegs, it would as good as the LT.

Look down towards the bottom of this site for the K1200GT pads.
http://www.techspec-usa.com/products/gs_bmw.html
There is a peg lowering kit out there somewhere. I think Ken had one on his GT for a while.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #9 of 33 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 11:44 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
I think you will have the problem with any saddle without the grip pads due to the design of the bike (Spout Touring).
No, I disagree. A properly fitted seat will eliminate that sliding forward business. There needs to be a bucket for you to sit in that supports your butt and your upper thighs, which spreads the weight over a larger area for better long-distance comfort. And the seat should raise up at the front so that your hips stay in position even on hard deceleration. Yes, the GT is a sport-tourer, but we don't need to be hanging off in corners or bent over holding the front axle to hustle this bike along. Trust me, I've embarrassed much sportier, "faster" bikes with a combination of skill and confidence while sitting upright with the iPod blasting . . .

Quote:
If I could just do something with the pegs, it would as good as the LT.
Suburban Machinery does make a set of peg extenders for the GT, as does Verholen. I put the Verholen 40mm (1.5") peg extenders on the day I got the GT. The SM extenders are fixed, but the Verholen extenders are two-piece with a serrated interface which allows a bit of fore-and-aft adjustment if needed. But I found that once they're set you don't really need to move them.

With those and the seat in the high position I actually had slightly more leg room than the LT. But it's much easier to drag the lowered pegs in the corners, so if you're an aggressive rider then you might want to consider that.

Or you could always go with these.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 33 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 7:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
No, I disagree. A properly fitted seat will eliminate that sliding forward business. There needs to be a bucket for you to sit in that supports your butt and your upper thighs, which spreads the weight over a larger area for better long-distance comfort. And the seat should raise up at the front so that your hips stay in position even on hard deceleration.
OR:

You can use a layered composite of different densities and thicknesses of military specification 3M visco elastic foam that molds to your butt bones and vectors forces in all different directions - to create the "bucket" INSIDE the seat.

AND:

a knitted, mesh polyester top cover that was specifically designed to grip you and keep you from sliding forward while allowing a tremendous amount of air to flow underneath your butt.

Isn't modern technology great?

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #11 of 33 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 7:33 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
You can use a layered composite of different densities and thicknesses of military specification 3M visco elastic foam that molds to your butt bones and vectors forces in all different directions - to create the "bucket" INSIDE the seat.
OK, but it's still a "bucket" tailored to your own butt. Same basic idea, then.

Quote:
a knitted, mesh polyester top cover that was specifically designed to grip you and keep you from sliding forward while allowing a tremendous amount of air to flow underneath your butt.
Yes, and a tremendous amount of water, too.

Quote:
Yep - right up until it rains.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #12 of 33 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 7:57 pm

Quote:
OK, but it's still a "bucket" tailored to your own butt. Same basic idea, then.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #13 of 33 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Smile Re: I need a stickier seat

Rosin will give you a tight grip!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #14 of 33 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 9:15 pm

Wear leather pants. I have a pair of Langitz that stick to the seat like a suction cup which I hate. Personally I believe it is better to be able to slide around, set your cg to the corner, and move across the bike L to R to balance the action to make things work in a smooth, safe but fast manner. So, most of the time I wear belstaff pants.

May be to many dirt hours though
post #15 of 33 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 9:51 pm

Quote:
No, I disagree. A properly fitted seat will eliminate that sliding forward business. There needs to be a bucket for you to sit in that supports your butt and your upper thighs, which spreads the weight over a larger area for better long-distance comfort. And the seat should raise up at the front so that your hips stay in position even on hard deceleration. Yes, the GT is a sport-tourer, but we don't need to be hanging off in corners or bent over holding the front axle to hustle this bike along. Trust me, I've embarrassed much sportier, "faster" bikes with a combination of skill and confidence while sitting upright with the iPod blasting . . .

Suburban Machinery does make a set of peg extenders for the GT, as does Verholen. I put the Verholen 40mm (1.5") peg extenders on the day I got the GT. The SM extenders are fixed, but the Verholen extenders are two-piece with a serrated interface which allows a bit of fore-and-aft adjustment if needed. But I found that once they're set you don't really need to move them.

With those and the seat in the high position I actually had slightly more leg room than the LT. But it's much easier to drag the lowered pegs in the corners, so if you're an aggressive rider then you might want to consider that.

Or you could always go with these.
Now that I think about it, you are right Ken. Since I got my seat from Rick, I hardly ever have to squeeze the tank very hard. With the stock seat, I'd just about slide up on the tank without the gripers, especially during hard braking.

It's not that the pegs are too high, as I only have a 30" inseam. It's that they are too far back and make my feet angle downward causing my calf below my knee to ache, especially the left one. I have to straighten my leg out every 50-75 miles. If I could just bring it forward and make it flat, I think I would be more comfortable.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #16 of 33 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 9:52 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
OR:

AND:

It sounds like you are saying that I should dump my current seat and buy one of yours.
post #17 of 33 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 9:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
Rosin will give you a tight grip!
What type of Rosin would you be referring to????
post #18 of 33 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 10:03 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm_rides
Personally I believe it is better to be able to slide around, set your cg to the corner, and move across the bike L to R to balance the action to make things work in a smooth, safe but fast manner.
On the street? Where are you riding that you feel you need to be sliding around?

Seriously, there are very few public roads where you can safely ride at the level where you have to be sliding around that much. That doesn't mean that you can't ride very quickly, but the sliding around just seems excessive, unless you're trying to "drag a knee" at a much slower pace than a particular corner really requires for that action.

But what I really wanna know is, will you show me where? I bet I can keep up with my feet on the pegs, my lower back firmly tucked into my backrest, and my arms smoothly rolling the bike through the corners at speeds that would probably get us both arrested.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #19 of 33 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 10:59 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
OR:

AND:

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #20 of 33 Old Jun 19th, 2009, 6:44 am

Just wait until your wife does you a "favor" and washes your bike and Armour-alls the seat! talk about sliding around. I had to wear a cup for two weeks until that stuff wore off.

post #21 of 33 Old Jun 19th, 2009, 7:57 am

Quote:

Nah - you're about a year and a half behind what the current cover fabric is. Our new fabric - Polar Mesh - is completely hydrophobic. I ain't talking rabies here either.

Where Alcantara used to absorb water yet dry quickly, the new material allows water to drain completely through, then run off the waterproof polyethylene barrier below it. Then rain cover is built in.

You sit 4mm above any water - even in a heavy downpour.

Since there are no needle holes or seams in the cover there is no way for water to penetrate into the foam. The barrier is glued onto the seat in one piece.

Problem solved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2993.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	23475  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #22 of 33 Old Jun 19th, 2009, 8:10 am

[QUOTE=DavidTaylor

SPAM

[/QUOTE]

Hardly, just joining in on the conversation and bringing folks up to date on new, engineered solutions to old problems.

I guess you would prefer that Vendors who support this site (and btw, I was the very first one to do so) never comment on their products once in a while.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #23 of 33 Old Jun 19th, 2009, 8:56 am

The more things change ... the more they stay the same.
post #24 of 33 Old Jun 19th, 2009, 12:34 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Hardly, just joining in on the conversation and bringing folks up to date on new, engineered solutions to old problems.

I guess you would prefer that Vendors who support this site (and btw, I was the very first one to do so) never comment on their products once in a while.
Just poking at you with a stick, Ron. You did see the laughing smiley at the bottom, right??

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #25 of 33 Old Jun 19th, 2009, 12:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
Just poking at you with a stick, Ron. You did see the laughing smiley at the bottom, right??
LOL - you got me right in the spokes!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #26 of 33 Old Jun 19th, 2009, 12:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
The more things change ... the more they stay the same.
Messenger 13: Lurker?

Say it ain't so!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #27 of 33 Old Jun 19th, 2009, 4:02 pm
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,

Quote:
....Yes, and a tremendous amount of water, too. .....Yep - right up until it rains.
Nothing the matter with a monthly shower--whether you need it or not!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #28 of 33 Old Jun 19th, 2009, 5:45 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

OK Ron, I hadn't realized you had addresses the water issue. Good to know.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #29 of 33 Old Jun 21st, 2009, 10:06 am

Quote:
On the street? Where are you riding that you feel you need to be sliding around?

Seriously, there are very few public roads where you can safely ride at the level where you have to be sliding around that much. That doesn't mean that you can't ride very quickly, but the sliding around just seems excessive, unless you're trying to "drag a knee" at a much slower pace than a particular corner really requires for that action.

But what I really wanna know is, will you show me where? I bet I can keep up with my feet on the pegs, my lower back firmly tucked into my backrest, and my arms smoothly rolling the bike through the corners at speeds that would probably get us both arrested.

Well true I used to own an LT & didn't move much except when the centerstand started dragging, but as an old track day/sport bike/off-road guy I can't help but move around when in the tight stuff. Old habit that I probably wouldn't need to do I guess. Kind of like remembering not to try and steer with the rear on the pavement and not to use much front brake in the dirt. It may just be ADD & can't hold still for long.

In any event smooth, safe, fast, & upright means it's all good no matter who you are
post #30 of 33 Old Jun 21st, 2009, 7:32 pm

Quote:
Now that I think about it, you are right Ken. Since I got my seat from Rick, I hardly ever have to squeeze the tank very hard. With the stock seat, I'd just about slide up on the tank without the gripers, especially during hard braking.

It's not that the pegs are too high, as I only have a 30" inseam. It's that they are too far back and make my feet angle downward causing my calf below my knee to ache, especially the left one. I have to straighten my leg out every 50-75 miles. If I could just bring it forward and make it flat, I think I would be more comfortable.
Today I rode with the seat in the high position and my knees and legs seemed more comfortable, though I didn't ride but 28 miles. I'll have to try it on a longer trip soon.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #31 of 33 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 8:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm_rides
Well true I used to own an LT & didn't move much except when the centerstand started dragging, but as an old track day/sport bike/off-road guy I can't help but move around when in the tight stuff. Old habit that I probably wouldn't need to do I guess. Kind of like remembering not to try and steer with the rear on the pavement and not to use much front brake in the dirt. It may just be ADD & can't hold still for long.

In any event smooth, safe, fast, & upright means it's all good no matter who you are
There's nothing wrong with moving around on the bike - it's just one more way to control the bike. It might not be necessary in normal circumstances, but keeping that skill honed could come in handy someday. It's probably good for the circulation, too.
post #32 of 33 Old Jun 24th, 2009, 9:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilgundel
There's nothing wrong with moving around on the bike - it's just one more way to control the bike. It might not be necessary in normal circumstances, but keeping that skill honed could come in handy someday. It's probably good for the circulation, too.
May be because I still have the stock 07 seat
post #33 of 33 Old Jun 25th, 2009, 5:25 am

Quote:
Messenger 13: Lurker?

Say it ain't so!
That's ‹berLurker to you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in