Tire update? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old May 18th, 2009, 7:40 pm Thread Starter

Question Tire update?

Thought I would check in and see, now that everyone has had some time to put some GT miles on different tires, including the dual compound Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs, what tires are giving the best mileage. I just went thru the 2CTs in 5000 miles. I got almost 8K from my last set of Z6's. How is everyone else doing?
Jeff

06 GT "MitchRider" 55,XXX Miles of Smiles!
02 LT Semi-Retired & 155,XXX Miles of Great Memories
BBG, B2B, 100CCC, Four Corners, SS3000, SS5000

"Part of getting older is that you spend less time waiting for things and realize that road time is finite; one starts to relish every ride, every day now as a gift."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old May 18th, 2009, 8:59 pm

Re: Tire update?

I've gotten the best mileage from the PR2's. I'm trying the RoadSmarts next time, just because I can.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old May 18th, 2009, 11:05 pm
Super Moderator

I got about 4K out of the BT020s on the 1200GT (and hated them). Got 7200 out of the Michelin Pilot Road 2 dual compounds and loved them so much I "acquired" my newly installed set from my 1200GT before it went away to bike heaven (only 280 miles on them). I have Metzeler Z6s on the 1300GT (came from the factory with them) and have a little over 3000 on them so far and they seem to be wearing well; I expect somewhere around 5500 - 6500 from them at this point. They handle great as well, I think I like them almost as much as I do the PR2s. I'll put the PR2s on before I head to CCR in August, assuming I don't use up the Z6s before then, which could happen.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #4 of 15 Old May 19th, 2009, 9:41 am

I have a pair of PR2's with about 3k on them, Took them off so I could start my Cambria/Red River trip with new tires. They looked like another 3 or 4K left to them. I put 5K on the road smarts last week and they seem to have at least 2-3K left. The road smarts seem like a really good tire, But need to have at least 41 psi in the front or they wear funny. I was running 36psi in the front and they developed a 2 inch wide ridge on center. Seems much better after I went to the higher pressure. Pretty good on grooved pavement and it felt good doing 55mph on a 7 mile section of gravel road construction over the weekend. The road smarts seem to be wearing equal front and rear. Every other tire I have tried seemed to be two rears to a front. I will take a closer look at the road smarts and PR2's when I get home tonight to see if I need to add anything to my observations.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #5 of 15 Old May 19th, 2009, 11:36 am

I have 11k on the RoadSmarts and the front is nearing the end the wear bars are almost showing. I figure I can commute for another 2k before I changing. The rear still look like it can go another 5k easy. Both are showing the comuter stripe now.... I need to go play and try to wear in the sides some more.

Jim
MSF Rider Coach

Haverhill, MA
66 R50/2
92 R100R
07 Silver KGT
post #6 of 15 Old May 19th, 2009, 12:47 pm

I've been pleased as punch with my RoadSmarts! And he's right about the 2" ridge. Mine did the same thing, but it was close to EOL for that tire anyway.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #7 of 15 Old May 19th, 2009, 4:09 pm

I have the Avon Storms and love them. Deep wide groves and very smooth. The Bridgestones that came on the bike drove me nuts following the rain groves and every other grove in the pavement.

I have 4,000 miles on them and they're barely showing signs of wear. I got 6,300 on the Bridgestones.

Purchased from Motorcycle Superstore.com for $300. for the set. No tax nor shipping.

Ride fast. Take chances.

2008 K1200GT
2004 Harley Road Glide "Kapo"
post #8 of 15 Old May 19th, 2009, 5:06 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Hey Jeff,

As you can imagine, this topic comes up on occasion. And at 86K miles (that's 11 fronts and 16 rears), I've had some experience with tire choices.

Check this thread for my thoughts, and this post for my most recent update. Note that I'm notoriously hard on tires, but that's how I ride so I expect the tires to hold up to that.

The short version is that for me, the Avon Storms provide the best combination of wet & dry grip, handling, longevity, and perhaps most importantly, handling that holds to the end of the tire's life.

For pure mileage you can get away with ME880's (in an alternate sized rear), but the bike suffers noticeably in grip and handling. So unless I'm on a week-long rally and unable to swap tires mid-run, it'll be the Storms for me.

At least until they come out with the new Venom. Can you say super-size me?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by meese; May 19th, 2009 at 7:43 pm.
post #9 of 15 Old May 19th, 2009, 9:36 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Hey Jeff,

As you can imagine, this topic comes up on occasion. And at 86K miles (that's 11 fronts and 16 rears), I've had some experience with tire choices.

Check this thread for my thoughts, and this post for my most recent update. Note that I'm notoriously hard on tires, but that's how I ride so I expect the tires to hold up to that.

The short version is that for me, the Avon Storms provide the best combination of wet & dry grip, handling, longevity, and perhaps most importantly, handling that holds to the end of the tire's life.

For pure mileage you can get away with ME880's (in an alternate sized rear), but the bike suffers noticeably in grip and handling. So unless I'm on a week-long rally and unable to swap tires mid-run, it'll be the Storms for me.

At least until they come out with the new Venom. Can you say super-size me?

Finally, a tire that won't make my ass look fat!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #10 of 15 Old May 19th, 2009, 11:14 pm

Got 3K out of an Avon storm rear & 8K out of the front though the front was worn past rediculous........... wear barsmostly gone, cupped, flat spotted, vibrated at speed etc.

Rear Roadsmart has 5K and looks to be 50% as a guess and I just had the front put on so can't answer until after the 3 flags in Aug.

The Roadsmart is a smooth grippy riding tire that you can take predictibly to the edge but doesn't give you that easy turn in glued to the road feel that the Avon did though I will never buy a 3K tire again for a touring bike.

Don't know about the Pilots
post #11 of 15 Old May 20th, 2009, 8:44 pm

I am changing my tune, My previous comments about mileage on my road smarts were after riding 14 hours on saturday and 17 hours on Sunday. After some sleep and another look, I noticed that I am 1/2 mm from the bars. So, It looks like about 5500 miles total from the smarts. Not so smart I think. In their defense, 3K of the miles was twisty roads ridden hard. The other 1.6k were a mixture of country roads and some slab. All at an excelerated rate of speed. Hopefully about a thousand left if I'm lucky. At least they wore evenly front to rear.
I double checked my records and found that I have 4k on my PR2"s and approximately 3k left. About 25% more life than the roadsmarts. I just might have to try the Avons next per the recommendation of the Roadking himself.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #12 of 15 Old May 21st, 2009, 1:47 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm_rides
Got 3K out of an Avon storm rear & 8K out of the front though the front was worn past rediculous........... wear barsmostly gone, cupped, flat spotted, vibrated at speed etc.

Rear Roadsmart has 5K and looks to be 50% as a guess and I just had the front put on so can't answer until after the 3 flags in Aug.
Interesting, as I've had the exact opposite happen. The Storms give me great grip and handling, right up to the wear bars, and decent mileage at 12K front, 7K rear.

While the Roadsmarts look like this after 3,800 miles:

Granted, those were some tough roads, including the last 1K miles in 24 hours exclusively on San Diego County's twistiest back roads. But for the last 500 miles or so, the tires handled so bad that I'd have pulled them off early if I wasn't in the middle of a timed ride. I've had two other Roadsmarts pick up nails before 1,400 miles (wish they had the Avon puncture guarantee), but my current set has 3,400 on them and the rear might go 1K more or so. But again, the handling has gone well off, and I'm not really happy with the tires overall.

Oh well, I guess Your Mileage May Vary really does apply here.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #13 of 15 Old May 22nd, 2009, 8:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Interesting, as I've had the exact opposite happen. The Storms give me great grip and handling, right up to the wear bars, and decent mileage at 12K front, 7K rear.

While the Roadsmarts look like this after 3,800 miles:

Granted, those were some tough roads, including the last 1K miles in 24 hours exclusively on San Diego County's twistiest back roads. But for the last 500 miles or so, the tires handled so bad that I'd have pulled them off early if I wasn't in the middle of a timed ride. I've had two other Roadsmarts pick up nails before 1,400 miles (wish they had the Avon puncture guarantee), but my current set has 3,400 on them and the rear might go 1K more or so. But again, the handling has gone well off, and I'm not really happy with the tires overall.

Oh well, I guess Your Mileage May Vary really does apply here.
Wow! And I thought I ran them too long. You must be "thrifty". Go figure, my front Avon looked exactly like your Roadsmart and vibrated like heck at 85+ or so and would unexpectedly push in corners. I had Avons on a Cagiva once and got exactly 500 miles out of the rear though that did include 2 track days.

I think tires are like a batch of cookies................depends on who mixed it and cooked it that day as to how they work.

I would keep buying Storms if they work that well for you. They do stick a bit better than the Roadsmarts and seemed to transfer better road feel.
post #14 of 15 Old May 22nd, 2009, 12:24 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Like I said, YMMV truly does apply here.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #15 of 15 Old May 22nd, 2009, 8:50 pm

Well Mr. Meese if you are riding the 3 flags over labor day we should hook up & I will pray that I can keep up. Looks like you can lay er down.

Per my normal route I plan to travel 101 to CA 1 on to San Diego for 2-3 days to visit son & granddaughters (gasp how's I get this old?) then tire wear permitting travel to Mexicali for the 700 mi + trip to Leathbridge.

My son was going to ride, has a ticket but probably won't be able to go if anyone is interested in buying it from him at face value.

If so, pm me and I will forward it to him.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in