Auxillary lighting for GT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old May 17th, 2009, 9:56 pm Thread Starter

Question Auxillary lighting for GT

Other than Motolights, has anyone installed auxillary driving lights on their GT. If so, what and any pictures?

I've just about got mine ready to go just about anywhere. New windshield on the way. Already have Zumo 550, Starcom 1 Advanced (finally got it working right), cellphone blue toothed, Kenwood FRS, Rick Mayer saddle, and 49 L Top case (color matched). I just need my custom tank bag from Linda T and I'm set.

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old May 17th, 2009, 10:48 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Re: Auxillary lighting for GT

Contact Ken Meese (Meese). He has.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 13 Old May 17th, 2009, 11:13 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
Contact Ken Meese (Meese). He has.
You can look at these until Ken chimes in with some better photos. Don't know the brand, but the lights are mounted to a metal tubular frame - zoom in on the second pic (click on it when it's opened) and you can make it out.

I'd advise NOT zooming in on the first pic .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010005.JPG
Views:	537
Size:	704.0 KB
ID:	23071   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010002.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	644.0 KB
ID:	23072  

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

Last edited by Ted; May 17th, 2009 at 11:21 pm.

post #4 of 13 Old May 18th, 2009, 1:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
You can look at these until Ken chimes in with some better photos. Don't know the brand, but the lights are mounted to a metal tubular frame - zoom in on the second pic (click on it when it's opened) and you can make it out.

I'd advise NOT zooming in on the first pic .
Thanks Ted,

Wish I'd taken your advise about zooming in on that first pic.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #5 of 13 Old May 19th, 2009, 5:27 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I'm here, just been a bit busy lately.

As with all additional lights, you have to decide what your purpose is. If you mostly want other cars to see you, then some smaller, lower wattage lights will work. Or perhaps yellow fog lights for extra visibility (and extra usefulness in dense fog). If you want to see further down the road, then you need more powerful (and thus more expensive) lights.

On my setup, I wanted to see more than be seen. So I went with HID driving lights on a custom bracket.

The bracket is something that Ernie and I came up with in his shop. It uses existing screws near the oil cooler. It bounces a bit more than I'd like, but I have figured out how to make support brackets to minimize that. Just need the time to do it . . .

The lights are PHIDs, or Phillips HIDs. They have become a staple in the Long Distance community because of their small size and huge output. They're not cheap, but then again, neither is hitting a deer.

I've been happy with the lights overall. I have them aimed so the right one is high and far, giving me a good view of the right shoulder and any critters that may be lurking there. The left is lower and closer so that it still gives a good view, but doesn't annoy most cage drivers. Unless it's a tiny two-lane road with lots of oncoming traffic, I can leave the lights on full time and get great visibility.

The stock high beam actually reaches a little further, but has a weaker, yellowish halogen beam. Converting the high beams to HID also would be a great addition for getting that extra visibility way down the road.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 13 Old May 19th, 2009, 6:58 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
I'm here, just been a bit busy lately.

As with all additional lights, you have to decide what your purpose is. If you mostly want other cars to see you, then some smaller, lower wattage lights will work. Or perhaps yellow fog lights for extra visibility (and extra usefulness in dense fog). If you want to see further down the road, then you need more powerful (and thus more expensive) lights.

On my setup, I wanted to see more than be seen. So I went with HID driving lights on a custom bracket.

The bracket is something that Ernie and I came up with in his shop. It uses existing screws near the oil cooler. It bounces a bit more than I'd like, but I have figured out how to make support brackets to minimize that. Just need the time to do it . . .

The lights are PHIDs, or Phillips HIDs. They have become a staple in the Long Distance community because of their small size and huge output. They're not cheap, but then again, neither is hitting a deer.

I've been happy with the lights overall. I have them aimed so the right one is high and far, giving me a good view of the right shoulder and any critters that may be lurking there. The left is lower and closer so that it still gives a good view, but doesn't annoy most cage drivers. Unless it's a tiny two-lane road with lots of oncoming traffic, I can leave the lights on full time and get great visibility.

The stock high beam actually reaches a little further, but has a weaker, yellowish halogen beam. Converting the high beams to HID also would be a great addition for getting that extra visibility way down the road.
Thanks Meese,

My GT came with the Xenon lights but they are nothing compaired to the low beam HID I bought from Raffy for my LT. I feel I'm going to need better lighting for night rides out west. I found this mounting bracket, but don't know if it would work the the HIDs you have. How well do the PIAA 1100 work. They are smaller and more compact, but the HIDs you provided the link to are awsome.

http://www.bmwofdenver.com/eshopprod...GT_Light_M.htm

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #7 of 13 Old May 19th, 2009, 7:07 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I've seen the Jimmy Mount brackets from BMW of Denver. They're a good idea, but are pricey and limited in their use, as they were designed pretty much for the PIAA 1100X lights only. The PHIDs definitely won't fit on them.

The 1100X's are decent lights, but not up to HID quality. There has been some discussion of smaller-form-factor HID lights, but I haven't yet seen any that impress me much. An HID arc is quiet powerful, but you still have to have a good reflector and that's where most of these crap out. They're either too small, too undefined (not focused well), or both.

I really need to add the stiffening legs to my bracket then make up a few more of these . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 13 Old May 19th, 2009, 9:34 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
I've seen the Jimmy Mount brackets from BMW of Denver. They're a good idea, but are pricey and limited in their use, as they were designed pretty much for the PIAA 1100X lights only. The PHIDs definitely won't fit on them.

The 1100X's are decent lights, but not up to HID quality. There has been some discussion of smaller-form-factor HID lights, but I haven't yet seen any that impress me much. An HID arc is quiet powerful, but you still have to have a good reflector and that's where most of these crap out. They're either too small, too undefined (not focused well), or both.

I really need to add the stiffening legs to my bracket then make up a few more of these . . .
PIAA now has a compact HID setup that's pretty nice. I just saw a set installed on a 1200GS at SJBMW and he fired them up to adjust, and they were throwing some serious light even inside the well lit shop. Here's a link to some info on them -

http://www.shopatron.com/product/pro...PIA73082/353.0

They even have optional amber lens covers. Great idea; better "be seen" during the day with them on and more "see" at night with them off. They are about the same size as the 1100X so I bet they would work on the Jimmy mounts. And thanks for the tip on those mounts, I was wondering why nobody had made a set of brackets for the GT mirrors yet.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #9 of 13 Old May 19th, 2009, 10:01 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I've seen those new compact PIAAs. Actually, I've seen the non-branded ones at the shop where they make them. They look great but the problem is that they fall under the "cheap non-focused lens" category. Look at the pic on their website - the lenses look like something out of a cheap flashlight. There's a lot of light output, but not as much of it is actually useable to light up the road ahead as you might expect.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #10 of 13 Old May 20th, 2009, 7:17 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
PIAA now has a compact HID setup that's pretty nice. I just saw a set installed on a 1200GS at SJBMW and he fired them up to adjust, and they were throwing some serious light even inside the well lit shop. Here's a link to some info on them -

http://www.shopatron.com/product/pro...PIA73082/353.0

They even have optional amber lens covers. Great idea; better "be seen" during the day with them on and more "see" at night with them off. They are about the same size as the 1100X so I bet they would work on the Jimmy mounts. And thanks for the tip on those mounts, I was wondering why nobody had made a set of brackets for the GT mirrors yet.
You are welcome.

If you get the PIAA HIDs, let me know how they work out. I really would like to have something mounted higher on the bike for better down road vision. To bad the PHIDs will not work on the mirrow mounts.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #11 of 13 Old May 20th, 2009, 7:19 am Thread Starter

Question Re: Auxillary lighting for GT

Quote:

Ken,

Where did you mount the ballast for the PHIDs?

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #12 of 13 Old May 20th, 2009, 9:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWDOC
Ken,

Where did you mount the ballast for the PHIDs?
He put them on the left side where the ABS is.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #13 of 13 Old May 26th, 2009, 4:11 pm

PIAA1100x on the forks and HID spots (under the mirrors)

I did have Motolights but one broke and I couldn't get them to respond to a request to send a new one, so I got PIAA's on Martin Fabrication brackets

Actually, I didn't want the PIAA's, but discovered that I could only use the brackets with them.

I've since found some Night Hawk lights from Demon Tweaks that are the same as Motolights but far cheaper at 25 a set instead of close to 200

The ballasts for the HIDs are near the mirrors and the brackets are customised - as they wouldn't work out of the box needing cutting and rewelding to "flatten" them out

I may fit some lights under the oil cooler as a fail over set should the PIAAs fail - and they do and the bulbs are horrendously expensive
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_0421 res.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	23136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_0427 res.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	23137  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in