Any good news??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old May 14th, 2009, 11:20 am Thread Starter

Any good news???

I read the GT forums and it really depressing. Seems the majority of us are in constant bitch mode about these bikes. I know we need to share our problems in order to help others avoid the same but it is a big downer reading K1200GT forums. Sometimes I think ignorance is bliss concerning riding the GT.

I'm not saying to stop the informative dialogue, heck I have used much of it myself, but we really do need to voice more positive aspects of this bike.

On the bright side mine is doing fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old May 14th, 2009, 11:37 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Any good news???

If Grif, happens on this thread he'll open a bowl of sunshine on you. He's a one man cheer leading section. Has a great paint job on his GT too.

Word of caution: If he breaks out that little skirt and wants to shake his pom-poms, LOOK AWAY!!! It ain't purty.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 Old May 14th, 2009, 12:52 pm
Super Moderator

You have to remember that it's practically the nature of folks in forums like this to complain. It's akin to the old business addage - Give a person great service and they tell 1 person, give them bad service and they tell 10. So problems tend to get the most attention and engery given to them. It's the same in the media, you rarely rturn on the morning news and see everything is fine and cute puppies running around on screen.

SO, to break with the trend -

My K1300GT is awesome! I'm enjoying the bike, it's running great, handles like a surgucal instrument, and goes like stink. I have a little over 3000 miles on it now and I still get a smile on my face when I use and abuse the fast stick. It's not perfect (hazard light button stopped working, getting fixed under warranty) but no big deal, overall the thing is friggin' sweet! I may go out and ride more this weekend just to get more bug guts on it.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 29 Old May 14th, 2009, 12:58 pm

I now have around 44K on my '06 and I could not be happier with it. The only time it left me stranded was when the ignition wire broke, but now that I know which one it is and where it is, it's no biggie if it happens again.

It's a great bike that runs like a bat outta hell!

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #5 of 29 Old May 14th, 2009, 12:58 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
It's not perfect (hazard light button stopped working, getting fixed under warranty) but no big deal, overall the thing is friggin' sweet! I may go out and ride more this weekend just to get more bug guts on it.
Dave see if you can get them to swap out both side switch clusters that way it's done in one service. Both switches are know trouble on pre February K13

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 29 Old May 14th, 2009, 1:01 pm
Super Moderator

They're checking that.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #7 of 29 Old May 14th, 2009, 2:48 pm

I have a "new" (08 left over) GT. I hesitate to get on and talk about how "trouble-free" it has been, just because I haven't had it that long nor put that many miles on it yet. Not to mention I already had a problem with one of the brake pad wires!

But the key thing is why I bought it (and probably why people are willing to put up with some of the issues).

I was never that keen on it's looks (it's ok), I'm not a big BMW cheerleader (it's my first one), and I never was thrilled at the discount price (hence the leftover model). But then I rode it (ended up renting one for a couple of weeks).

It's all about the riding experience. Yes, long time touring bike folks will grouse about the weather protection, the comfort of the seat, the "nervous" behavior, "too much" horsepower, etc.

I come from the sportbike/"superbike" realm (my previous touring mount is a Honda CBR 1000). I consider the GT the perfect combination of a true "sport touring" bike. Ride somewhere far away (optionally with a passenger and gear) and still enjoy the twisty roads. And the motor is totally bonkers! It probably isn't the greatest match for a touring mount, but gives the bike a lot of character and is one of my favorite features. These things drew me away from my "comfort" zone and into a BMW dealership.

The good news is that it's a great bike to ride. Isn't that what it's all about?

I think it is worth some minor problems. As for those with major problems, well, there's always that. Not belittling their problems, but they are very complex bikes. Go to nearly any car/bike board dedicated to a specific make/model and you'll wonder why anybody buys one!

To be honest, if anything has disappointed me reading this board, it isn't problems with the GT, it's the lame dealer experience for so many (more than I expected). I really thought I was moving up the food chain a bit in dealer/manufacturer support, but now I'm thinking it's business as usual. Oh well...
post #8 of 29 Old May 14th, 2009, 3:05 pm

All you read on bulletin boards are the problems and complaints. There are MANY more folks who are having no problems. They just don't post. Other than having to replace the seat with an after-market product (I knew this before I bought), my '07 GT has been wonderful.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #9 of 29 Old May 14th, 2009, 4:11 pm Thread Starter

Thanks...I needed that.
post #10 of 29 Old May 14th, 2009, 5:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwgt
Thanks...I needed that.
My GT absolutely rawks! It's daylong comfy and strafes twisties like it's running for it's life. It exits corners like Satan is after it. I'm also not afraid to work on it anymore since Ken and I tore into his for a valve check.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GrifK12GT.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	23047  

-=grif=-

Grok
post #11 of 29 Old May 14th, 2009, 6:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwgt
I read the GT forums and it really depressing. Seems the majority of us are in constant bitch mode about these bikes. I know we need to share our problems in order to help others avoid the same but it is a big downer reading K1200GT forums. .
Have you forgotten there's an LT section here?
post #12 of 29 Old May 14th, 2009, 6:58 pm

I've had my 08 GT for just over a year and I average 18 to 20,000 miles a year. Not huge numbers but I ride it almost every day to go somewhere. I've had the air box replaced due to the high idle problems and one or two other small issues fixed which were all under warranty. I've had very good service from the dealer where I bought (A&S BMW). The dealers are high priced but I have no complaints about the service. I enjoy the bike and am very glad I pulled the plug and traded in my LT for the GT. Basically I have had a lot more days riding and enjoying it then days spent waiting for repairs at the dealer.......
post #13 of 29 Old May 14th, 2009, 9:38 pm

Jeez mine is in the shop at this very moment for hi idle/throttle chop FI issues. I am confident BMW will get er fixed and being an old guy who has owned 30+ bikes absolutely LOVE this bike.

In my powerboating days a sailing bud told me that "anything with a motor is a pain in the a**". He was right, who cares, twist the trottle, roll your eye lids back and smile. This bike rocks
post #14 of 29 Old May 14th, 2009, 10:40 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
My GT absolutely rawks! It's daylong comfy and strafes twisties like it's running for it's life. It exits corners like Satan is after it. I'm also not afraid to work on it anymore since Ken and I tore into his for a valve check.
Your bike looks much more manly without those silly sharks teeth on it.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #15 of 29 Old May 15th, 2009, 12:18 am
IBR# 366

Garage

When the bike is running well, I'm too busy out riding to post what a good time I'm having. And when it breaks, y'all hear about it here first. It's just the nature of a model-specific forum.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #16 of 29 Old May 15th, 2009, 6:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
Your bike looks much more manly without those silly sharks teeth on it.
I hear you, but I still get in a lot of fights. You should have heard me and Ken arguing on who's turn it was to be Mary Ann.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #17 of 29 Old May 15th, 2009, 10:05 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
I hear you, but I still get in a lot of fights. You should have heard me and Ken arguing on who's turn it was to be Mary Ann.
I always thought you looked best in a checkered halter top.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #18 of 29 Old May 15th, 2009, 11:33 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Tell the truth, Grif. We were really fighting over the Mrs. Howell outfit.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #19 of 29 Old May 15th, 2009, 12:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Tell the truth, Grif. We were really fighting over the Mrs. Howell outfit.
That's Lovey, to you, mister!

-=grif=-

Grok
post #20 of 29 Old May 15th, 2009, 9:32 pm

My harley buds warned me about this
post #21 of 29 Old May 16th, 2009, 10:29 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm_rides
My harley buds warned me about this
Yes, but did they show you the pics?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #22 of 29 Old May 17th, 2009, 5:25 pm

I have a 06, zero problems. I have no intention on trading up.

2006 K1200GT
2005 Honda CRF450X Uncorked
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650 R Sons
IBA 22690
post #23 of 29 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 7:44 pm

I had some older BMW's with problems. I now own an 07 GSA and GT. Both these bikes have been trouble free and totally rock. If everyone hated their bikes so much, believe me .... they wouldn't be here. Just look at how long most of these guys have been members and how many BMW's they have owned. There is a pretty big love affair with BMW going on at this site.
post #24 of 29 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 10:06 pm

I absolutely LOVE my GT!!! It'll fly...(will totally SMOKE Grif's) ...goes as fast as I wanna go through any twisties...munches miles like candy.... What a GREAT bike. As i was bragging to an LT'er the other day, "I love it cause I just RIDE it...not REPAIR it all the time!"

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #25 of 29 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 10:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
It'll fly...(will totally SMOKE Grif's) ...
The first will be last

-=grif=-

Grok
post #26 of 29 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 6:50 pm
Enjoy The Ride

[QUOTE=cccpastorjack What a GREAT bike. As i was bragging to an LT'er the other day, "I love it cause I just RIDE it...not REPAIR it all the time!"

[/QUOTE]

But you wuz looking for some wood to knock on.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #27 of 29 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 8:42 pm

Quote:
The first will be last

Actually, I think it's "...MANY that are first shall be last..."

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #28 of 29 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 10:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Actually, I think it's "...MANY that are first shall be last..."
And I defer to your knowledge! Man, I can even slaughter easier quotes.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #29 of 29 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 10:08 am

Garage

Just completed a weekend run to and from Scotland, 1100 miles and it was as sweet as a nut, apart from the lazyness starting once when it got hot.

--
Steve Parry
Current fleet is
14 BMW R1200RT LE
07 BMW K1200GT SE
03 BMW R1100S BoxerCup
14 BMW F800GS
87 BMW R80RS
... oh and the 330Ci for suit days

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in