RT & GT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old May 10th, 2009, 7:27 am Thread Starter

RT & GT

I was out riding my GT yesterday in the cold weather, I'm tired of waiting on the weather to warm up! anyway; I noticed that the bike seems extra cold or rather the wind seems to get to me much more than I'm used to. I had been riding an Lt. I know that the GT won't give the protection the Lt did but does an RT offer more protection than the GT? I really don't care anything about power so if the RT offers more protection than the GT I will probably go that way in the future.
Thanks for the info.
Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old May 10th, 2009, 8:28 am

Re: RT & GT

You can also upgrade your screen for more protection for example
http://www.aeroflowscreens.com/K1200GT.htm
You have a GT and it is cheeper to change screen instead a whole bike. The RT is more like the LT but lighter with a boxer tween. I am in ME and have heated liner and a good set of riding pants. My wife and I have almost 3000 milles so far this season with good gear, she drives an HD Softtail with only a screen and no protection on her legs. I had an LT before and loved it. What the LT has is protection and comfort, best for long trips. I put 14000 milles on my 07 and loved it. Now my GT is exiting and lighter and loved it. We are going to NC the second week of July. I just love to ride Love life and get good gear and a good screen If still not happy then the RT is a great bike!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BMW K1200GT 2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic (Atlas)
BMWMOA # 130458

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HD FLSTN Softail Deluxe 2008 Suede Blue & V. Black(hers)

Last edited by spinedr; May 10th, 2009 at 8:34 am.
post #3 of 14 Old May 10th, 2009, 8:59 am

I just traded my 08 RT for a 09 1300GT, only thing I didn't like is the screen. The solution as mentioned above, replace that screen!. It is the only weak item on the GT IMHO. I have a Vtechnic V-stream screen now, it's having first test with wife today, however my testing of it yesterday at speeds up to typical CA I state speeds was very favourable!. \

Tony

Tony Carpenter

BMW K1200LT 2008

post #4 of 14 Old May 10th, 2009, 10:26 am Thread Starter

Thanks Guys;
The windscreen is an idea for sure; I will get one on order today.
I really like the bike and having ridden K bikes always I doubt the rattle of the RT would be to my liking , My wife rides an RT, but her bike is the lowered version so my test riding it for any distance is out of the question. I will just have to find a warmer pair of riding pants.
Ken
post #5 of 14 Old May 10th, 2009, 10:45 am
IBR# 366

Garage

What they said. Get an AeroFlow screen and the AeroGards. The whole package is a bit pricey, but it just plain works. And it's much cheaper than trading in on a new bike.

With my AeroGards, I can ride in summer mesh gloves down to 50 degrees. With a decent pair of gloves and the grip heaters, you can go much lower and still be comfortable.

The second solution is to get good heated gear. I've been very happy with the Warm & Safe stuff. With their jacket and Heat-troller, I can just turn a knob and be as warm as I like.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 14 Old May 10th, 2009, 11:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
The second solution is to get good heated gear. I've been very happy with the Warm & Safe stuff. With their jacket and Heat-troller, I can just turn a knob and be as warm as I like.
What he said! I live in the wet NW and heated gear let's you travel light and stay warm. Get pants w zip out liners and you're good to the mid 30's
post #7 of 14 Old May 11th, 2009, 1:38 am

Never ridden an LT but have just swapped a 2007 RT for a 2009 GT. I am 6ft and can live with the higher screen but have ordered aeroguards to try to cut down wind on my shoulders. Of course, the bike is less windy if I get the VOX on the Autocom set at the correct setting

THe RT screen worked out the box as it were but had it on the highest setting. GT tall screen also runs in highest setting particularly when 2 up. Have ordered a Z=technic V-Stream just in case.
post #8 of 14 Old May 11th, 2009, 10:36 am

Further to my trying the Z=Technic ( yes I said vtechnic the first time), wife found it MUCH better yesterday on our ride.

Tony Carpenter

BMW K1200LT 2008
post #9 of 14 Old May 12th, 2009, 3:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
I was out riding my GT yesterday in the cold weather, I'm tired of waiting on the weather to warm up! anyway; I noticed that the bike seems extra cold or rather the wind seems to get to me much more than I'm used to. I had been riding an Lt. I know that the GT won't give the protection the Lt did but does an RT offer more protection than the GT? I really don't care anything about power so if the RT offers more protection than the GT I will probably go that way in the future.
Thanks for the info.

Ken

I've owned both.
Owned an '07 RT. Sold, long story.
Briefly owned and '08 GT. Sold it for a number of reasons. To your question, wind and weather protection was not really one of them. I had added an Aeroflow Screen.

l now own an '05 RT.

That all being said..
InMyOpinion... A stock R1200RT has better wind and weather protection than a stock '08 K1200GT with high BMW screen.

The GT's wind and weather protection was much improved, for my needs anyway, with the addition of the Aeroflow Screen. Medium height, as I recall.
I had the Aeroguards as well, removed them. They seemed to have a strange effect on the bike at highway speed. I can't exactly put it into words, seemed as if the bike didn't want to change direction as easily at speed with the Guards on.
I did not keep the bike very long.

Even on my RT, I have added a Cee Bailey Screen. Very nice for my needs.

Hope this helps...
Decisions as this are difficult. So many bikes, opinions, aftermarket products.

DMilan
post #10 of 14 Old May 16th, 2009, 7:59 am

Quote:
Thanks for the info.
Ken
To answer your question yes, the GT does not offer the same protection. I had a tal Aeroflow on my GT with the guards, and it was MUCH better than stock. However, there is still less fairing diverting wind off the rider on the GT.

Try the Aeroflow...honestly it's night and day difference. See how you like that before you bail on your GT.

If you do decide to bail, ride an RT first. They are amazingly capable, but are not for everyone. That said, I went back to an RT and have not looked back.
post #11 of 14 Old May 17th, 2009, 4:04 pm

You might want to consider a Cee Bailey screen for the GT... The Aeroflows I've had are thinner than OEM, while the Cee Baileys (and Parabellums) are made from the same material they make aircraft windshields out of and are as thick as or slightly thicker than OEMs. They also provide several more height and width options and cost about the same. With the Cee Baileys, you needn't use small spacers under the screws to make up for the thinness of the shield as was the case with the Aeroflows.

Another help for controlling airflow are Saeng's Micro-swirl windshield edging. It really works to throw the air a couple of inches farther out than plain screens without it do. And its a really inexpensive 'fix'.
post #12 of 14 Old May 26th, 2009, 4:28 pm

Quote:
I was out riding my GT yesterday in the cold weather, I'm tired of waiting on the weather to warm up! anyway; I noticed that the bike seems extra cold or rather the wind seems to get to me much more than I'm used to. I had been riding an Lt.
As many have said - Aerogards and a high screen and good heated kit.

I have Aerogards, Z-Technik and a laminar lip as well, bar backs, footpeg lowering, Sargeant seats and Gerbing heated clothing

With the Gerbing, I have two power feeds and use two heat trollers so gloves, jacket liner, trouser liner and socks are all individually adjustable.

Plus, for all the best weill in the world, there is a drop off using the gloves through the jacket liner, or the socks through the trouser liner.

Another advantage of individual wiring is that the jackets and trousers are permanently wired for Gerbing gloves/socks so when its cold enough to justify gloves and or socks but not the liners, they are there ready for use.
post #13 of 14 Old Sep 14th, 2009, 3:34 pm

If you guys would have looked beyond the mesmerizing engine response of the GT, you'd have realized that the wind protection is no better than a Road King or Honda Big Ruckus.
No BMW has better weather protection better than an LT. The RT is close. I got rid of my GT for a variety of reasons including the lousy weather protection.
post #14 of 14 Old Sep 14th, 2009, 4:13 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout70
No BMW has better weather protection better than an LT.
Agreed (although I still needed an aftermarket windshield on the LT), and my LT was more comfortable than my GT, too. But the GT just does everything else so much better. Gaining 50 HP was nice but losing 200 lbs of dead weight makes a huge difference every time I ride.

I have very fond memories of the more than 100K miles I put on two LTs. But after putting that many miles on a GT, I simply couldn't go back.

To each his own, and as long as you're happy with what you're riding, that's all that really counts. And that's the reason that they still make a variety of bikes.

But like many others, I'm anxiously awaiting whatever BMW comes up with next. Be it a modernized (and hopefully lightened) Slant/4 LT, or some sort of K-RT model, I'll be first in line for a test ride.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in