Anyone Have a GT On Order?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 10:55 am Thread Starter

Anyone Have a GT On Order??

I was courious if anyone here was planning on purchasing a new GT this year when they arrive. Are you trading your LT?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 11:25 am
Bouncer

Quote:
I was courious if anyone here was planning on purchasing a new GT this year when they arrive. Are you trading your LT?
Yes and No (not until I'm sure the GT works for me)

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #3 of 25 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 11:27 am Thread Starter

I gotta have a test ride first! I didn't see anywhere that it was available with the Hydraulic center stand either. Sure would like to have that featuer if available. It's very convenient. When will one be arriving in your area Jeff ?

-
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training

post #4 of 25 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 11:34 am

I'll definately take a look at one, but I think I'll wait for the F800ST as a partner to my LT.

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #5 of 25 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 12:23 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2DOG
It really depends. Kari has made some noise that she may want to start riding again (after 3 1/2 year not doing so after a nasty accident), and if she does I'll definitely be keeping the LT. But, if she decides she doesn't want to I'm definitely considering it. I'm of the same mindset as ElJeffe, though; I want to make sure it's right for me before I commit. I also want to see how easy it is to reclaim some of the detuned HP it dropped from the S. If it's as easy as opening up the other airbox (like on the R) and adding a freer breathing exhaust that would be VERY compelling. And yes, I would sell or trade my LT.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #6 of 25 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 1:05 pm

Stew, I can see why some of these guys might want the new GT depending on where they live and ride, but even a new GT would be no match for the LT in this city being spead out like it is. What are you getting bored?

"The problem with most people...
they don't know what they don't know".

Ravenous Reader of Non-Fiction!
post #7 of 25 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 1:28 pm

I just don't see the GT as a "replacement" for the LT. Unless someone has bought the LT and after the fact, has realized that the LT is just too big, or too much for them. Or...if someone isn't riding 2-up as much as they thought they would. For the next 15 years or so...I plan on owning an LT (or equivelant) and a sport-touring bike. With the primary focus being the "sport" portion for my second bike. I just can't imagine going on a multi-thousand mile trip 2-up with the GT. My wife would kill me! And if I'm gonna die, I want to be riding my Ninja!
post #8 of 25 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 8:08 pm

was at new york bike show today, and it's very easy to get up on center stand.
post #9 of 25 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 6:00 pm

I very interested (I think) in a GT. I went to Daytona today to ride an '04 he's got, but it 'wasn't available'.

What do y'all know about the riding position, any known issues, etc. I'm used to upright, of course, and am interested hearing from those who transitioned from upright to a little (or a lot) forward lean. Does it work for you?

As to the LT - as Joe suggests (how did he get from 5000 to over 6000 in such a short time!!) the LT is getting bulky for me. It's been on the Classified list (once in oct-nov and again currently) with little response.

Daytona has a '99 he wants about $11500 for - and he has several other LT's (maybe 3) with mileage above 30000 but didnt' get prices on them.

Thanks in advance for replies
Dave
post #10 of 25 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 8:14 am Thread Starter

Nope, not bored, just courious. I need to ride one to see just what it feels like. I will probably keep the LT.

-
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #11 of 25 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 8:17 am Thread Starter

Hi Joe,

I'm thinking along the same lines as you are.
I need another bike with some performance.
If I were to pick up a 2nd bike, it would have
to be a performer, but I would aslo like to be
able to travel on it if the occasion ever came up.
Not long trips, the LT is the only bike for that IMHO.
But I don't want a bend forward bike....

-
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #12 of 25 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 9:48 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
I also want to see how easy it is to reclaim some of the detuned HP it dropped from the S. If it's as easy as opening up the other airbox (like on the R) and adding a freer breathing exhaust that would be VERY compelling. And yes, I would sell or trade my LT.
David,

In Raffy's case it was a "Fire Breathing" exhaust. Imagine that kind of HP and going for a ride with him? You better have a super radar detector.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (Coming soon!)
2013 R1200GSW
> 26k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles and counting!
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #13 of 25 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 12:26 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Actually, Raffy was no slouch on the LT, either.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #14 of 25 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 3:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

No Slouch Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Actually, Raffy was no slouch on the LT, either.
You are correct sir.
Just ask Bushwacker and the Del Norte Chapter of the CHP! They'll vouch for Mr. RocketRaffyMan.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
2013 R1200GSW
> 26k miles!

post #15 of 25 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 12:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2DOG
Hi Joe,

I'm thinking along the same lines as you are.
I need another bike with some performance.
If I were to pick up a 2nd bike, it would have
to be a performer, but I would aslo like to be
able to travel on it if the occasion ever came up.
Not long trips, the LT is the only bike for that IMHO.
But I don't want a bend forward bike....
The Yamaha FZ1 and Kawasaki Z1000 are good choices for performance as well as comfortable ergonomics. I recently sold a Z1000; a great bike and plenty of performance and they're a lot of bike for the money because they don't sell well in the states (naked bikes haven't really caught on here). I enjoyed the Ducati Multistrada too; very comfortable and a performance oriented twin, but not the least expensive choice. I'm thinking about adding another bike to the corral but in my case I'm looking for a dual sport perhaps... I want to get off road some.

post #16 of 25 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 8:14 am Thread Starter

Would you be interested in a BMW GS 650? My neighbor may be selling his...

-
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #17 of 25 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 9:14 am

That's one of the bikes I'm looking at; I usually wait and try to find a steal of a deal on my used bikes, but I would like to hear more. Thanks.

post #18 of 25 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 3:43 pm

Ordered mine yesterday. Trading in my wobbling lt they cant seem to fix. Been riding the k 1200 s the last few days and the motor is great. Seating pos. sucks but the gt will be more upright. I'll miss the radio and the comfort on long distance but i don't normally venture to far from home anyway. I ride about 10,000 mi. a year and most of it is local back roads. we'll see what the new lt looks like when they come out.

Mike Moto

06 k1200 gt
07 ktm250fsx
05 ktm 640 adventure
02 go ped
post #19 of 25 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 5:19 pm

GT experience

My GT opinion for what it is worth:

My wife and I spent a couple of weeks on a GT (2005 model) in the Alps last summer. We had an LT lined up but it was wrecked before we got there and I decided on the GT as the best option (only other real choice was a Wing).

First the GT is no LT, shares a similar powerplant, but a very different bike IMO. I found the handling to be quite different; there must be difference steering rake, etc. It is a much lighter bike, you don't need a power center stand unless you are severely overloaded. The GT struck me as one of those compromises that tries to be in the middle of the spectrum and fails on both ends. For a sport bike I'd rather have an RS than a GT, for a tourer the LT wins hands down. Riding position on the GT is definitely more forward and wind/rain protection much less that the LT but the GT didn't have the feel, the secure to the road flickablity of some sport bikes I have ridden.

The GT is the right bike for some people, but I'll pass on it.
post #20 of 25 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 5:42 pm
Bouncer

Quote:
For a sport bike I'd rather have an RS than a GT, for a tourer the LT wins hands down. Riding position on the GT is definitely more forward and wind/rain protection much less that the LT but the GT didn't have the feel, the secure to the road flickablity of some sport bikes I have ridden.
um, the 2002-2005 GT is nothing more than a RS all dressed up. No power difference, no handling difference, nothing more than a RS with about 2 grand of accessories bolted to it.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #21 of 25 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 2:00 am
Lifetime Supporter

Good to Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
um, the 2002-2005 GT is nothing more than a RS all dressed up. No power difference, no handling difference, nothing more than a RS with about 2 grand of accessories bolted to it.
Is that right? A sales person said he thought the steering geomentry was a little different. And he also was considering the change in the seat and the handlebar position as a change in handling characteristics over the RS. It is good to know that they are not much different, because I'm still thinking of picking up an RS and doing some mods like I've mentioned as well as some soft luggage, rack and a different WS. Perhaps a Baehr system and lighting to round her out. There might be a few good buys to be had and in a few years get the new LT.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
2013 R1200GSW
> 26k miles!

post #22 of 25 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 9:24 am

Subjectivity

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Well that maybe, you'd certainly know better than I.

What I offered was strictly a subjective opinion, but I would submit that if you change only the riding position by changing seat, handle bars, foot peg position you do change the handling. Change the fairing and windscreen, more handling changes. Change the tires, again, different handling. So whatever was the cause of my subjective feelings about the 2005 GT I rode (it was basically new with only about 3K miles on it), it did not have the sweet neutral steering I feel with the LT, or even with my R75/5 and R90S.

The same good advice always applies, anyone considering a bike should try to get a good test ride in before the purchase; I would only say to anyone considering the GT, don't assume it handles like a LT or an RS or anything else.
post #23 of 25 Old Feb 4th, 2006, 5:59 am

Only if i can sell my R1200RT from may 2005 !!!

Only if i can sell my R1200RT from may 2005 for € 16.000 free from end may 2006
post #24 of 25 Old Feb 4th, 2006, 7:35 am

I'll stick with the LT. It may not be as quick as either the RS, RT or GT, but it sure is comfortable.. That is what matters to me.
post #25 of 25 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 9:48 pm

Wink Yes and Yes

I have a deposit down on a new GT, and if after an extensive test ride at Foothills BMW, if it rides like I think it will (an RT with an S engine), I will be trading in my second LT on it.

After 2 LTs since 2001 and 40,000+ miles on the two of them, total (admitting that while many members on this board have WAY more than that - but I do have 5 other bikes I ride as well), I believe it's time to leave the LT and go to the GT. I am getting older, and frankly, am tired of horsing the top heavy weight around in parking lots, narrow roads, and small town main streets with huge cambers for street parking. Before you tell me I can't handle my bike, let me point out that there is a difference between 'can' and 'want to'. I've had exactly 2 drops, both on my first LT, both in my garage, both in the first 3 weeks of owning it, and both when trying to get it up on the centerstand before I figured out the technique.

I love the LT in the twisties, I love it at speed on slabs, I love the comfort and amenities. But the top heavy nature of the bike and it's unforgiving sidestand, as well as its behavior at 5 mph or < has just become too tiresome if there is a viable option. Two events convinced me of this case. First, riding a GW 1800 around New Zealand for a month - you can have the weather protection, the comfort, the torque, without the low speed handling issues. Problem was - I'm not ready to mount stuffed animals on the rear luggage rack with my grand kids name on them and wear a matching satin jacket / matching helmet with my SO. Second event - got an FJR 1300. More sport than luxo touring, but touring last summer on it highlighted the weight differences. Still had the fun and most of the comfort, but what a significant difference in low speed maneuvering and required concentration, attention to sidestand position, and parking. It was a ton o' fun.

What I've always wanted was a BMW with the ergos of an RT, but with a 4 banger rather than a boxer. To each his/her own, but I have never been able to enjoy the boxer. MY assessment of the new GT and it's dimensions is that it will be somewhere between the FJR (SPORT Tourer) and the LT (Luxo Tourer) - a Sport TOURER? 150 HP, sit-up-and-beg seating position, more tourer than the FJR (although less Tourer than the LT), great performance, and with any luck at all, no 'when is the rear drive going to fail' threads (I know, I know - no machine is perfect and there is no way to tell if the GT will be introduced with its own particular defect - I said - 'with any luck').

Soooooo, I've got my $500.00 down on the first blue GT in at the dealership, all accessories except for the tall windshield, subject to an acceptable test ride experience.

All comments IMHO, and of course, YMMV.

The Touring Professor

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1999 H-D Dyna-Glide Conv.
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
1991 Acura NSX

Gone But Not Forgotten:

2006 K1200GT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2001 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT
2003 Hayabusa
2002 1800 VTX
1999 HD Sportster
1988 HD Softail Custom
1975 Yamaha 100cc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in