09 handle bars and controls - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old May 5th, 2009, 3:15 pm Thread Starter

09 handle bars and controls

First post on the GT forum. I have an LT and have been thinking of buying a GT also. My neighbor has an 07. I have ridden it a few times and really like the performance. Went to the BMW shop this weekend to check out the new ones. What happened to the controls and the handlebars? I really like the controls,their position, and their function on the LT, RT, and the 07 GT. I don't think I can get past what has happened to the controls on the 09 1300. I may look at an RT. I'm not trying to bash the new GT, but it really seems like BMW cut some corners here. Looking for a used 07 may be the answer for me. Maybe I didn't look close enough, but as soon as I saw the old design was gone I just walked away! I never read the GT forum, so this has probably already been hashed out. Just curious if it is just me or are there others disappointed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old May 5th, 2009, 3:28 pm

Re: 09 handle bars and controls

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognot
First post on the GT forum. I have an LT and have been thinking of buying a GT also. My neighbor has an 07. I have ridden it a few times and really like the performance. Went to the BMW shop this weekend to check out the new ones. What happened to the controls and the handlebars? I really like the controls,their position, and their function on the LT, RT, and the 07 GT. I don't think I can get past what has happened to the controls on the 09 1300. I may look at an RT. I'm not trying to bash the new GT, but it really seems like BMW cut some corners here. Looking for a used 07 may be the answer for me. Maybe I didn't look close enough, but as soon as I saw the old design was gone I just walked away! I never read the GT forum, so this has probably already been hashed out. Just curious if it is just me or are there others disappointed.
They still have 08s in some dealerships, with good discounts, just have to make a few calls to find. There is a good article on the 1300,s in the MOA magazine this month and some other magazines. I love my 08 and plan to keep for a few years to come, The RT is a great bike, lighter than the LT in a boxer setup, that is a great engine, The GT 4 is really fast and adrenalini if it make seance. Drive the RT before you make your mind but take the GT for another spin to compare. Good luck finding a second bike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BMW K1200GT 2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic (Atlas)
BMWMOA # 130458

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HD FLSTN Softail Deluxe 2008 Suede Blue & V. Black(hers)
post #3 of 24 Old May 5th, 2009, 3:31 pm Thread Starter

Have you seen the new control setup? Why in the world would you mess w/ perfection? I love the old setup!

post #4 of 24 Old May 5th, 2009, 4:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognot
Have you seen the new control setup? Why in the world would you mess w/ perfection? I love the old setup!
I did, and I do not like them but they did not ask for my opinion. Is just new and different set that we need to get used to. It is a great bike still but now there is choices with some 08s out there. In a few years we are going to get used to the new set up or go Cony 14, Duccati, ST1300, Motto G or a cruiser. Now I am happy with the GT 08 and will cross that problem when it comes. Good luck with your shopping,

BMW K1200GT 2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic (Atlas)
BMWMOA # 130458

HD FLSTN Softail Deluxe 2008 Suede Blue & V. Black(hers)
post #5 of 24 Old May 5th, 2009, 7:17 pm
Super Moderator

I've had a bunch of HDs and BMWs and only a couple of bikes (years ago) with this style of control. It took me about a day to get used to it, so nobody should view them as a barrier to ownership. Humans are highly adaptable beasts, regardless what they try to make us think.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #6 of 24 Old May 10th, 2009, 9:02 am

When I bought my first BMW in 2001 I was confused for about 1 hr in total. The switch to what is the usual on MOST bikes in the world, proves an old dog (bmw), can learn new tricks . It's just taken them a long time to realise not everything has to be done the hard way LOL.

Tony

Tony Carpenter

BMW K1200LT 2008
post #7 of 24 Old May 11th, 2009, 4:39 am

Apparently, folks who test rode the bike and did not buy listed the turn signals as one of the issues. BMW went to the world standard.

Tony Williams
San Diego and Africa
2002 LTC black
Cee Bailey windscreen +2"
XM Roady 2
Garmin Zumo 550 GPS
ChatterBox XBi2 bluetooth intercom
Metzler 880's
post #8 of 24 Old May 13th, 2009, 4:32 pm

I don't care about the usage of the switches...I can adjust to that. Its just that now the bars/switches look just plain UGLY . There is nothing there...almost like a kid's tricycle with a bell attached.

BMW is losing people fast with their poor engineering/design and support.
post #9 of 24 Old May 13th, 2009, 9:45 pm

Agree, the magazines ragged on our BMW guys enough that when the economy tanked so did they. I liked the old approach but I guess this must be easier though I am not sure why.
post #10 of 24 Old May 13th, 2009, 9:58 pm

I agree about the '09 stuff on the bars. I have an '08 and like the paddle style turn signal activators, one for left and one for right with the kill switch. The new system is sooo cheap and just screams rice burner. The little jars for reservoirs on the brake and clutch are also cheap. You can always marinate tuna in the mineral oil on the clutch side, and watch what it's doing I guess.

There are lots of great deals on '08s out there if you look. I picked mine up loaded with a large trunk, bar risers, foot peg lowers and an unlimited warranty for $16k. It had 300 miles on it and was a new bike.

Ride fast. Take chances.

2008 K1200GT
2004 Harley Road Glide "Kapo"
post #11 of 24 Old May 14th, 2009, 12:52 am
Super Moderator

I can tell you (since I'm actually living with an 09) that in actual usage and living with it the controls don't feel or look cheap at all. The reservoirs are the of the same style as was on the 1200S and R, but higher quality and very sturdy. The button layout and switchgear have a solid and positive feel and response; not cheap and flimsy like some bikes (the Connie 14 comes to mind). It's not like they stole them off an old Gixxer, they are of BMW quality, just different from what they had on earlier bikes.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #12 of 24 Old May 14th, 2009, 11:15 am

I'm sure they work just fine.

But you must admit the whole bar/controls look is horrible when compared to what WAS on our bikes.
post #13 of 24 Old May 14th, 2009, 1:00 pm
Super Moderator

No, I don't have to admit that at all. I think they look fine and are made with quality components, the layout is ergonomically sound, they are easy to use, and they are packaged it in such a way that you get a lot of usable functions in a very small footprint of space without looking cluttered and crowded. Overall I'd say they did a nice job with it. The fact that it's new and you and others don't like change is irrelavent to the argument. Honestly, I always found the BMW controls to be less intuitive than the ones that were on the last HD I owned years ago (93 Ultra), but I adapted to them 13 years ago and have been just fine ever since.

If I purchased my bikes based on what the controls looked like I would still be riding HD with chrome controls and flames on the grips. There are so many more important things to consider about a bike, like riding it!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #14 of 24 Old May 14th, 2009, 5:14 pm

I agree with Taylor. I still have my 06 GT and now an 09GT. While the controls are different, they are easily adapted. It appears to me that the new clutch and brake reservoirs were created to reduce weight.

David Cox

06 K12GT
09 K13GT
07 F800ST
post #15 of 24 Old May 14th, 2009, 7:20 pm

I think some people are looking at the handle bar to much. If the turn signal is the only thing that is bothering you about the 09 K1300 then you obviously haven't twisted the throttle yet.

A man has to know his limitations....

2009 K1300 GT - Royal Blue Metallic
2006 K1200 LT - Storm Gray Metalic

BMWMOA
BMW.LT
post #16 of 24 Old May 14th, 2009, 9:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryrenstrom
I think some people are looking at the handle bar to much. If the turn signal is the only thing that is bothering you about the 09 K1300 then you obviously haven't twisted the throttle yet.
Great point, as I was taught to ride heads up to ride smooth and fast. Everytime I start admiring the controls or front fender life gets full of surprises.
post #17 of 24 Old May 17th, 2009, 4:55 pm

It took me jsut a few hours to get rid of my right thumb stabbing air to signal...This bike is fantastic compared to my 06GT. I am more confident with htis bike's ability in nimbleness< no flat spots or other throttle issues. It has a more linear acceleration and as you ease off ht ehtrottle, no slamming BBS.

Yes, I think I will keep it.

Larry
2009 Deep Blue K1300GT
post #18 of 24 Old May 17th, 2009, 6:02 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwgt
I'm sure they work just fine.

But you must admit the whole bar/controls look is horrible when compared to what WAS on our bikes.
I also will not admit that they look horrible - I don't think they look bad at all. It is pretty clear that a lot of thought went into the new layout gaining the bike a substantial improvement in ergonomics. Like David said, they offer a great diversity of controls in a very small footprint. It is no longer easy to confuse the high/low with the windshield controls. The seat and grip heat controls are very easy to find and integrating the kill switch with the starter button is clearly better than the old controls.

There is not a single area where BMW failed to better the K1200GT with the K1300GT. while each improvement is only incremental, the sum of the improvements makes the 1300 a far more rewarding bike to ride.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #19 of 24 Old May 26th, 2009, 4:19 pm

I took out a 13GT and commented how flimsy the cruise control looked.

I got half a mile up the road, switched the cruiser control from off to on and it fell off

Looking to re-position it I saw that a previous rider had kncoked it off and tried to push it on, pushing down the switch below and breaking it.

The dealer told me they had lost a few cruise controls - one during PDI

To me, the controls look flimsy and cheap compared to the robust units of the up to 08 bikes

It doesn't surprise me BMW have changed - the controls/switchgear of the R11RTs were different to the "robust" controls of the K11LTs and the switchgear we're all used to - up to 08 bikes, dates back to the R1200C

They are very good (switchgear) units - but at what cost?

Certainly the ability to fit dog leg levers has gone

I'm not saying I'm against change and would get used to the switchgear if I bought a 13, but at present, I'll stick with my 12
post #20 of 24 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 1:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
I also will not admit that they look horrible - I don't think they look bad at all. It is pretty clear that a lot of thought went into the new layout gaining the bike a substantial improvement in ergonomics. Like David said, they offer a great diversity of controls in a very small footprint. It is no longer easy to confuse the high/low with the windshield controls. The seat and grip heat controls are very easy to find and integrating the kill switch with the starter button is clearly better than the old controls.

There is not a single area where BMW failed to better the K1200GT with the K1300GT. while each improvement is only incremental, the sum of the improvements makes the 1300 a far more rewarding bike to ride.

I have no arguement over whether the controls are engineered properly, nor whether they function correctly, nor that its usage is easy to get used to, nor that one should base a purchase on same. I think the handlebar/switch arrangement looks cheap and ugly. My opinion. All other points made I'm fine with.
post #21 of 24 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 10:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy

Did they fix the rear, Randy? I know they said they beefed it up, but it seems like a token offering now that the GT is outputting more TQ and HP, which the K12GT seemed to break on occasion.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #22 of 24 Old Jun 1st, 2009, 11:11 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I'm not Randy, but I have done some research on the final drive upgrades.

The part fiches online at www.realoem.com now cover both the K12 and K13 bikes. That (along with some detailed BMW technical literature) shows that there has been a redesign of the FD housing, gear set, input bearings, and a new two-stage drive shaft. I've heard that the gear set is "larger" although it still has the same teeth and therefore ratio.

I've also heard that BMW now recommends 180 CC gear oil in the final drive, instead of the previous 220 cc. You can see what I mean here.

I'm still not gonna be completely satisfied until we start getting a lot of high mileage K13GTs with no FD failures at all. Preferably, one of them being mine.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #23 of 24 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 1:14 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
I'm not Randy, but I have done some research on the final drive upgrades.

The part fiches online at www.realoem.com now cover both the K12 and K13 bikes. That (along with some detailed BMW technical literature) shows that there has been a redesign of the FD housing, gear set, input bearings, and a new two-stage drive shaft. I've heard that the gear set is "larger" although it still has the same teeth and therefore ratio.

I've also heard that BMW now recommends 180 CC gear oil in the final drive, instead of the previous 220 cc. You can see what I mean here.

I'm still not gonna be completely satisfied until we start getting a lot of high mileage K13GTs with no FD failures at all. Preferably, one of them being mine.
So should we read into this that a 1300GT is on the horizon for you? Like I said before, red is the fastest color.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #24 of 24 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 1:38 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Someone recently suggested that BMW should just give me a 1300 as a Beta tester. Guaranteed I'd find every single fault on the bike in the first year. Or perhaps even less.

Besides, I'm holding out for the new K1600LT-B. The B is for Behemoth, of course.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in