New K1300GT in Royal Blue. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old May 4th, 2009, 5:03 pm Thread Starter

New K1300GT in Royal Blue.

Call me crazy, but, had to join the RT and Aprilia together, result = 1300GT. Funny thing happened on the way to lunch, right turn signal didn't work. OH OH, factory recall.. waiting on new switch block. It's SOOOOOO embarrassing riding with hand signals.

On the good side, love the bike of course . Who cares about silly indicators, most Californians don't use them anyway Now I need to work out how to properly set the clutch handle distance to get those shifts smoother.

Tony

Tony Carpenter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BMW K1200LT 2008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old May 4th, 2009, 9:33 pm

Re: New K1300GT in Royal Blue.

Well, congrats on the new bike! What a great one! And...it's wonderful to know that those newly designed turn signal switches are SO much BETTER than those OLD ones.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 17 Old May 4th, 2009, 10:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makzimia
Call me crazy, but, had to join the RT and Aprilia together, result = 1300GT. Funny thing happened on the way to lunch, right turn signal didn't work. OH OH, factory recall.. waiting on new switch block. It's SOOOOOO embarrassing riding with hand signals.

On the good side, love the bike of course . Who cares about silly indicators, most Californians don't use them anyway Now I need to work out how to properly set the clutch handle distance to get those shifts smoother.

Tony
I bought a Royal Blue Metallic on the 7th of April and the right turn signal didn't work on the way home (BFD) if thats all that goes wrong i'll be very happy. After selling my perfect running 06 LT, this is like I died and went to heaven. Truly an incredible motorcycle.

PS- Hand signals, I go by everyone so fast they wouldn't do much good plus now a days most people don't know what they mean anyway.

A man has to know his limitations....

2009 K1300 GT - Royal Blue Metallic
2006 K1200 LT - Storm Gray Metalic

BMWMOA
BMW.LT

post #4 of 17 Old May 5th, 2009, 12:29 am
Super Moderator

Congrats!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #5 of 17 Old May 5th, 2009, 2:21 am

Quote:

Tony
It must have something to do with the color Royal Blue. My right turn signal didn't work from day one. It was replaced with the New Revised switch, and has worked perfectly ever since.
How much gas do you have left in the tank when your low fuel light comes on? I am getting about 42 miles per gallon, and my low fuel light comes on with only about .17 gallons left.

Rick
'09 K1300GT
Royal Blue
post #6 of 17 Old May 5th, 2009, 9:30 am
fas

Quote:

Tony
Can you share the story about the GUZZI being returned? Did the turn signal stop workin'....

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #7 of 17 Old May 5th, 2009, 9:37 am Thread Starter

OK, let's start in order of requests here , 1. Guzzi was sold illegally to me with out of state registration, full refund given to me. 2. Not sure on fuel yet, only had a tank in it, and now I have the flu :-p. I did fill up the tank yesterday with 194 miles on it it took 5.1gallons and light was not on yet.

I have to say that is better behavior than the RT that always left me with 2 gallons when the warning light came on and claimed I had 45 miles left.

Finally, photo coming, I promise, our King of the Alps John Hermann took one at the shop of me on it .

Tony

Tony Carpenter

BMW K1200LT 2008
post #8 of 17 Old May 26th, 2009, 9:36 am Thread Starter

So, here we are just over 3 weeks after I bought the mighty K1300GT, I have managed about 1,600 miles on it so far with local riding. I am about to adventure out into the greater wilds of the USA.

As some of you know I am an Aussie that transplanted to here, so this is going to quite an adventure for me. I am intending to leave Thursday morning and ride to Illinois over the next 5 days, will take me about two thousand and fifty miles the quickest way I could find.

I have to be there by Monday night for my 18 yr old son arriving at a hotel, he can't book himself in. It was a good excuse to get out there on a bigger ride. Am I crazy? I guess time will tell .

The bike is running great, and with mid grade fuel I get about 46 MPG so trip stops should be nicely spaced.

Tony

Tony Carpenter

BMW K1200LT 2008
post #9 of 17 Old May 26th, 2009, 3:11 pm

I bought a Royal Blue in March. The day I picked it up, service noticed the right turn signal didn't work. They traded for the signal on their demo. Later I learned that the Demo turn signal worked after the switch.

David Cox

06 K12GT
09 K13GT
07 F800ST
post #10 of 17 Old May 28th, 2009, 8:46 am
fas

Quote:
So, here we are just over 3 weeks after I bought the mighty K1300GT, I have managed about 1,600 miles on it so far with local riding. I am about to adventure out into the greater wilds of the USA.

As some of you know I am an Aussie that transplanted to here, so this is going to quite an adventure for me. I am intending to leave Thursday morning and ride to Illinois over the next 5 days, will take me about two thousand and fifty miles the quickest way I could find.

I have to be there by Monday night for my 18 yr old son arriving at a hotel, he can't book himself in. It was a good excuse to get out there on a bigger ride. Am I crazy? I guess time will tell .

The bike is running great, and with mid grade fuel I get about 46 MPG so trip stops should be nicely spaced.

Tony

Tony!

Enjoy your trip. Keep an eye on your tire pressures.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #11 of 17 Old May 28th, 2009, 10:47 am

Follow up on the fuel guage sensor. I actually ran out of gas in the delaers lot for my 1st service.. My resettable odo said 46 miles to go, the light was NOT on, and the guage showed fuel remaining. They are odereing a new sensor as mine cannot be ecailbrated. So far I did average 38.5 mpg and 235 miles to fuel out. Guess I will have to watch my odo carefully for the next few weeks. Bike runs smootehr since the oil change and FD change of lubricant.

Larry
2009 Deep Blue K1300GT
post #12 of 17 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 8:48 am Thread Starter

Back safely, did over 4100 miles, the return trip I managed an 870 mile day on one, 600 the next and about the same third, bringing me home. GT performed marvelously, average on trip except in extreme winds was 46-47MPG sometimes as high as 54 MPG when climbing back over the rockies on way home. I did actually get as high as 304 miles to tank, and as low as 220 miles, used 6.13 gallons on that one~!!.

Only faults I can find, aerodynamics still aren't brilliant in crosswinds but better than RT was. Bridgestone Battleax tyres are complete crap on grooves (solution was, ride one handed). Scenery through Utah and Colorado was amazing, Nebraska, Iowa (snore). Seating is actually great, first 100 miles got me fidgeting then I kind of settled in to a move around occasionally.

So, second service due, and new tyres incoming .

Tony

Tony Carpenter

BMW K1200LT 2008
post #13 of 17 Old Jun 15th, 2009, 1:48 pm Thread Starter

Re: New K1300GT in Royal Blue. With Photo :).

I know it took some time, however, here it is, I apologize in advance for any broken screens, not sure what the face was about.

Tony Carpenter

BMW K1200LT 2008
post #14 of 17 Old Jul 1st, 2009, 5:03 pm

How does it compare to the R1200RT you had?
post #15 of 17 Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 7:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
How does it compare to the R1200RT you had?
It's a total replacement for the old boxer vibration and lack of instant power, compared to what I was reminded I liked having. I guess I am a v-twin or inline 4 kind of guy. Riding the GT across to Illinois, and having to dodge around 52 foot trailer semis a lot etc, really made the GT shine, along with the handling being better again by degrees over the RT IMO.

Similar fuel economy, flat footer compared to the RT, better seating.

If you like a bike that handles like it's on rails, can pull you out of trouble better and stop and turn on a dime, this is the one. As anyone of the grp I ride with will tell you, it and I are very good friends.

Tony

Tony Carpenter

BMW K1200LT 2008
post #16 of 17 Old Aug 16th, 2009, 10:21 pm

I would not mind a couple more pics! I have not had the pleasure of seeing a Blue one in person, Gives me an excuse to ride down to the Dealer and have a look!

JJ
post #17 of 17 Old Aug 17th, 2009, 6:20 pm

You do need to see this color in person. In some light, you'd swear it was black. Very subtle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in