Is there at GT in our future? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old May 2nd, 2009, 2:38 am Thread Starter

Question Is there at GT in our future?

As Grif already knows, we are looking at a 2007GT. It has a Russell seat for both driver & passenger. Any recommendations as to other considerations besides a top case? It already has a High Windshield, TPM (Tire Pressure Monitoring), & ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment).

Will I need extra driving lilghts?
Footpeg lowering kit (already have this on the LT)
What's the best way to mount the Zumo 550?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Gary & Mary Droege
1999 K1200LT
2008 K1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Life ain't about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old May 2nd, 2009, 7:17 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Is there at GT in our future?

Mornin Gary
Extra Lighting is always a good idea
As for the GPS mounting goes, THIS seems to be the preferred way to go. It mounts to the handle bars then the GPS bolts to it.

BTW I'll swing by Lone Star today and take a look at the GT. I'll give you a call when I'm there incase you have other questions about it.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 8 Old May 2nd, 2009, 7:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdroege
As Grif already knows, we are looking at a 2007GT. It has a Russell seat for both driver & passenger. Any recommendations as to other considerations besides a top case? It already has a High Windshield, TPM (Tire Pressure Monitoring), & ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment).

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
I believe you will LOVE the GT...especially with a russell seat. The stock one was designed by Marquis de Sade.

As for extra lighting...it is always nice. I installed a CQ HID low beam kit and it is PLENTY sufficient. The GT has two High beam bulbs, so when on high beam it throws plenty of light. I tried the footpeg lowering kit and did not care for it. Just seemed to throw the "feel" of the bike off. If interested in a kit that's like new...let me know by PM.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #4 of 8 Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:21 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdroege

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
An anticipatory "Congrats!!" to you sir! Here are some pics of my GT farkled up. To address your questions -
  • If it has the HID you probably won't need extra driving lights for normal usage, but I do run amber Motolights for added visibility to others.
  • I would ride it a bit before going with the lowering kit. The stock position isn't bad you may be fine with it. If not there are a couple of kits out there; Jerry at Pirate's Lair has a good one - http://piratesk12site.net/PegGTlow.htm
  • I have the Techmount mentioned above and love it. It puts the GPS in a good location that I can just add it to my "scan" (mirrors, gauges,GPS, etc.) while I ride
  • My only other suggestion would be to ride it like you stole it! And once you get it beyond 6 grand and all that power unleashes you'll think you did steal it.
http://www.fetchthecow.com/K1300GT/album/K1300GT.html

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #5 of 8 Old May 2nd, 2009, 4:54 pm Thread Starter

Just got home from the dealership and had a good ride on the 1300. I did notice some hard shifting from 1-3, but 4-6 seems to shift very smooth. Power band is unbelievable! I did find the foot position on the lower gears very uncomfortable. It seemed like I had to really bend my foot forward to get under the shifter, almost to the point of discomfort. Is this just my big feet, or is there enough adjustment to allow for this to not be a problem? I sat on an 08 on the showroom floor and the shifter didn't seem to be as low as did the 09, but of course it is hard to tell without actually riding it.

I guess now the big question is how improved is the 09 compared to the 07? Dealer indicates they made some serious changes: "redid the transmission, different valves and cams, improved the rear end and many many more." I would hope so for the extra money. I guess my question is can how the 07 compares to the 09? Wife was not comfortable as dealer would not provide a trunk for the test ride. We ride 99% two-up and as she is used to the LT, she felt very uneasy but thought the seat wasn't that bad. I do think the stock seat for me would prove a challenge on long trips compared to the LT, so a custom seat might solve that problem.

To conclude, I am kind of on the fence as to whether the GT would work for us. It has the power to please, no doubt about that point, and according to the dealer, it is almost "maintenance free" compared to the LT. Guess I will have to make up my mind over the weekend before a final decision.

Thanks for all the input.

Gary & Mary Droege
1999 K1200LT
2008 K1200LT

"Life ain't about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce."

Last edited by gdroege; May 2nd, 2009 at 9:53 pm. Reason: follow-up observations
post #6 of 8 Old May 3rd, 2009, 12:01 am
Super Moderator

The shifter has quite a bit of adjustment in it. I need to adjust mine lower because it's too high, and the demo at the dealer was much lower but I found it to work very well and my shifts were smoother. Remember that this has a multi-plate wet clutch which is much lighter and smoother so you'll have to get used to the shifting on the GT vs. the LT. That's probably why it felt weird in the lower gears.

I can tell you firsthand that the 1300GT is a much more refined bike than the 1200GT. There is an 86 page document out (I should save that URL) thatt describes all of the changes. But from the saddle I can tell you the 1300 is a much better bike, the sum of the incremental improvements made turn it into the bike they should have built the first time.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #7 of 8 Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:11 am Thread Starter

David,

I am so impressed with the mods you did on your 09. When at the dealership yesterday they had one of the red ones on the showroom floor. Obviously it is a Germin variation of red, but we both liked it. The one we took on the test ride was Magnesium Beige Metallic.

Gary & Mary Droege
1999 K1200LT
2008 K1200LT

post #8 of 8 Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:06 am
Super Moderator

I've spent some quality time with both colors (I've used the shop's demo bike a few times at length), and while I'm partial to the red (obviously) I think the metallic beige is a fantastic color. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the colors this year, BMW did a great job on the paint for all three selections.

When you get around to farkling (see, I'm just assuming you'll get one ) Let me know and I can PM you more details if you want.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in