C-Bailey Windshields for the GT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 5:50 pm Thread Starter

Question C-Bailey Windshields for the GT

I had a C-Bailey on my LT and loved it. I'm considering a 25.5x25.5 for my GT. Does anyone have any experience with it. C-Bailey told me as long as I stay below 120 mph I will be fine. Because of the large surface area and higher speeds, they have had some crack. He did not recommend taller shields for the GT.

I currently have the stock BMW tall, but it still does not provide a quiet ride and my arms and shoulders get fairly wet in rain. I have to ride with it full up to get the least amount of buffeting and have to look through it. Actually, I never been able to ride looking over the top of any windshield without significant wind noise.

Any suggestions or experience will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 6:29 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: C-Bailey Windshields for the GT

As with the LT, there are lots of windshield choices for the GT. And I've pretty much tried them all.

As he said the GT is a fast bike, so any large windshield can give you problems at high speeds. There's lots of good info in this thread, but here's my summary:

The Cee Bailey is better than stock, but not as good as it is on the LT. Flexing and cracking was a huge issue because Cee Bailey switched to a thinner plastic, which they've since gotten rid of. But I've still had cracking issues with their thicker shields.

If you're looking for LT-style protection, then go with the AeroFlow, and add their AeroGards. You can see pics here. Yes it's pricey, but it works. For example, I can run the AeroFlow down lower than I could with any of the others and still get great protection, and the AeroGards take all the wind (and bugs) off my arms. They work so well, in fact, that I can wear my mesh gloves down into the 50's without too much trouble.

The second-best choice I found is the CalSci. It's the closest to the stock shape, but the curvature and cutouts eliminate most of the buffeting and back pressure. This also retains the "sporty" looks of the bike, which is important to some folks. But it does tend to scratch rather easily, which is a concern.

Parabellum also makes a windshield with basically stock looks but better curvature. I haven't tried that one so I can't comment on how well it works.

And there is also the VStream from ZTechnik. It has the advantage of being polycarbonate so it won't shatter in an impact.

So it really depends on what's important to you, and what you expect out of it.

If you're not 100% sure, I do have a couple of barely-used windshields in the garage. I'd be glad to pass one on so you can try it. If you like it, we can work something out.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by meese; Apr 26th, 2009 at 6:36 pm.
post #3 of 27 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 6:50 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Ken.

I was also considering the V-stream, but was not sure if I should get the standard or tall. I'm 5' 8" and the C-Bailey rep recommended their 25.5x25.5. Looking at V-stream site, I think the standard would do. I noticed the V-Stream is coated. Does it have the same problem as the BMW shields with getting cloudy?

I'm mainly looking for quiet airflow around my helmet. I'd like to stay dryer, but also like having more air on my torso, to ride cooler. I about cooked on the LT with temps >90.

What are you using currently on your bike and what shields to you have lying around?

Thanks,

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #4 of 27 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 7:22 pm
Super Moderator

Hi Dick! I have the VStream standard on my GT (had it on both, actually) and it works fine for me. I'm 6'3" and tall in the torso. I've also speed tested it to 140mph and beyond with no cracks or fractures so that resolves the other worry. You know you won't keep that thing below 120 if you get the chance.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #5 of 27 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 7:30 pm

I tried the stock windshield followed by the VStream. My co-rider and I both finally concluded that the biggest wind issue that we had was the wind coming around the fairing below the mirrors. I opened my wallet and ordered the Aeroflow shield and the aeroguards. I installed the aeroguards first and tried it with the VStream shield. While hugely better, it still was not nearly as good as the combination of both Aeroflow items together. Our GT was probably not going to survive with us had we not solved the wind issue. The Aeroflow combination did it. The bike is now as quiet and smooth as our LT once was. It is almost criminal how much money the Aeorflow costs. But, they are worth every penny.
post #6 of 27 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 7:39 pm

My Cee Bailey just cracked on our Big Bend trip. It was, uhhhh, the wind. I've ordered a Cal Sci cause I've never had one. It was $185 and by sending them my old windshield in their box, they deduct $60 off the bill.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #7 of 27 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 7:49 pm Thread Starter

Thanks David and Charles:

A friend of mine just bought a used '07 GT with a V-Stream on it. It only had 700 miles but was running rough when he got it. It's currently at BMW ATL getting the problem sorted out. When he gets it back, I'll ride it and see how the V-Stream performs. I haven't measured it, but I think it the tall.

The AeroFlow is pricey. Do you think it would work well with the shield only, as I do want air on my lower torso? The LT really kept too much air off in hot climates.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #8 of 27 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 8:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
My Cee Bailey just cracked on our Big Bend trip. It was, uhhhh, the wind. I've ordered a Cal Sci cause I've never had one. It was $185 and by sending them my old windshield in their box, they deduct $60 off the bill.
Hi Greg,

That's what I'm worried about, "the wind". I've heard that C-Bailey has been having wind problems on the GT. I loved the C-Bailey I had on my LT, but it appears that it is not the shield for the GT. Let me know how you like the Cal Sci.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #9 of 27 Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:41 am

on the other hand-bought a CB 2 1/2 years ago. Soon after rode down to San Diego and it developed a crack by one of the mounting holes. Called them and they said-send a pic. I did and since is was less than 1 yr old they sent me a new one. Apparently for a while there, they tried to skimp on a thinner design which resulted in more vibration and resulting cracks. The new one is thicker than OEM. I have the 3+3+ and very pleased with it. Have about 20k miles on it and no problems. I am 6' and it is the perfect height for me.
post #10 of 27 Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:00 am

I'm 6'1" and ride straight up in the saddle (I have the bar risers, etc.) I've found that although wind is cut by raising the w/s to its tallest position, buffeting is actually reduced by lowering it to about 3/4s. You get more of a constant air flow and can see over the plastic. I have the California Scientific and it is quiter than the stock w/s, but the plastic isn't as clear and has a blue tint to it. The C-Baileys I see appear to be much thicker.

As a PS, I had the tall Cal Sci, but took it back. It was scary in high winds at speed and at its lowest position was still too tall and wide for me.

Ride fast. Take chances.

2008 K1200GT
2004 Harley Road Glide "Kapo"
post #11 of 27 Old May 2nd, 2009, 5:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapod2t
I'm 6'1" and ride straight up in the saddle (I have the bar risers, etc.) I've found that although wind is cut by raising the w/s to its tallest position, buffeting is actually reduced by lowering it to about 3/4s. You get more of a constant air flow and can see over the plastic. I have the California Scientific and it is quiter than the stock w/s, but the plastic isn't as clear and has a blue tint to it. The C-Baileys I see appear to be much thicker.

As a PS, I had the tall Cal Sci, but took it back. It was scary in high winds at speed and at its lowest position was still too tall and wide for me.
So now you have the standard Cal Sci?. If it works for you a 6'1' it should work great for me at 5'8". How is it in heavy rain? Does water come throught the vent?

Thanks,

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #12 of 27 Old May 2nd, 2009, 5:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinPhil
on the other hand-bought a CB 2 1/2 years ago. Soon after rode down to San Diego and it developed a crack by one of the mounting holes. Called them and they said-send a pic. I did and since is was less than 1 yr old they sent me a new one. Apparently for a while there, they tried to skimp on a thinner design which resulted in more vibration and resulting cracks. The new one is thicker than OEM. I have the 3+3+ and very pleased with it. Have about 20k miles on it and no problems. I am 6' and it is the perfect height for me.
I really loved the C-Bailey that was on my LT and thought it was very well made. I wonder if they've had any cracking since using thicker material.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #13 of 27 Old May 2nd, 2009, 6:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWDOC
So now you have the standard Cal Sci?. If it works for you a 6'1' it should work great for me at 5'8". How is it in heavy rain? Does water come throught the vent?

Thanks,
Yes, the standard height. It works great for me. I hardly ever use it all the way up, even in heavy rain. I can't stand looking through it. Also, I only wear a 3/4s helmet and either goggles or sunglasses and rain isn't much of a problem. With a full face, it should be a piece of cake. Came back from Vegas yesterday in a good rain up from Bakersfield.

I've never had any problem with my Cee Baileys on the Harleys.

Ride fast. Take chances.

2008 K1200GT
2004 Harley Road Glide "Kapo"
post #14 of 27 Old May 3rd, 2009, 9:45 am

I have a Cee Bailey's +4 tall, +3 width as does one of ridding buddies. The early Cee Bailey's were made of thinner material, ours are at least 1/4" thick and I haven't heard of any of these cracking. I've had mine up to 150mph with no problems. We like the Cee Bailey's and it solves most of the wind management problems.
Last weekend we did a three day, 1000mi ride through southern Missouri and Arkansas. The wind was terrible with gusts in the 30's and 40's; it never let up for all three days. No problems with the C-B's windshields set in any position.
I looked at the CalSci and the AeroFlow and I didn't like the material they make their windshields from. The AeroFlow is the worst, it looks like crap even when it's clean. I like the AeroFlow's design but for it's cost they should use better materials.

Bruce Hodges
post #15 of 27 Old May 3rd, 2009, 2:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce2000ltc
I have a Cee Bailey's +4 tall, +3 width as does one of ridding buddies. The early Cee Bailey's were made of thinner material, ours are at least 1/4" thick and I haven't heard of any of these cracking. I've had mine up to 150mph with no problems. We like the Cee Bailey's and it solves most of the wind management problems.
Last weekend we did a three day, 1000mi ride through southern Missouri and Arkansas. The wind was terrible with gusts in the 30's and 40's; it never let up for all three days. No problems with the C-B's windshields set in any position.
I looked at the CalSci and the AeroFlow and I didn't like the material they make their windshields from. The AeroFlow is the worst, it looks like crap even when it's clean. I like the AeroFlow's design but for it's cost they should use better materials.

Bruce Hodges
Thanks for the input Bruce. I really like the C-Bailey Products.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #16 of 27 Old May 3rd, 2009, 4:41 pm

I found a windshield by Wunderlich It has wings included like the AeroFlow, and their AeroGards just an option Doc. Dose anyone in this site has experience with this set up?

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5...de=K1200GT06-C

BMW K1200GT 2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic (Atlas)
BMWMOA # 130458

HD FLSTN Softail Deluxe 2008 Suede Blue & V. Black(hers)
post #17 of 27 Old May 3rd, 2009, 5:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinedr
I found a windshield by Wunderlich It has wings included like the AeroFlow, and their AeroGards just an option Doc. Dose anyone in this site has experience with this set up?

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5...de=K1200GT06-C
Thanks for the link, Gauthama. The tall windshield and wings look really good. I also wonder if anyone has tried this shield.

This site has some very nice accessories for the GT.

Thanks again,

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #18 of 27 Old May 18th, 2009, 7:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWDOC
Any suggestions or experience will be appreciated.

Thanks,
I currently have a +2 +2 cee bailey and a -2 0. The -2 0 is a nice summer screen when I'm looking for LOTS of air. The +2 +2 is a disappointment. There is a very narrow sweet spot where I can get some level of quiet and reduced wind blast, but not enough for my liking.

I'm planning on getting an Aeroflow. I had the full aeroflow setup on my older K12 RS and loved what it did to produce a quiet pocket of stil air.

If you are interested in the +2 +2 screen send me a PM.

BTW I'm 6' tall but I'm short leg/tall torso, so figure me for about 6'4" when considering the above oppinions.

-JD
post #19 of 27 Old May 18th, 2009, 1:24 pm Thread Starter

[QUOTE=jjd118]I currently have a +2 +2 cee bailey and a -2 0. The -2 0 is a nice summer screen when I'm looking for LOTS of air. The +2 +2 is a disappointment. There is a very narrow sweet spot where I can get some level of quiet and reduced wind blast, but not enough for my liking.

I'm planning on getting an Aeroflow. I had the full aeroflow setup on my older K12 RS and loved what it did to produce a quiet pocket of stil air.

If you are interested in the +2 +2 screen send me a PM.

BTW I'm 6' tall but I'm short leg/tall torso, so figure me for about 6'4" when considering the above oppinions.

-JD[/QUOTE

Thanks,

I already ordered at +3,+2. It should be here this week.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #20 of 27 Old May 24th, 2009, 1:20 pm

Smile Re: C-Bailey Windshields for the GT

Well I bit the bullet and ordered the AerFlow shield and guards. I have not seen any unhappy AeroFlow users on any of the forums so I will give them a try. Might possibly arrive this week but with the holiday it may not make it until next week. This 1300GT is one super bike but I didn't like the air buffeting at all.
post #21 of 27 Old May 24th, 2009, 2:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmith59
Well I bit the bullet and ordered the AerFlow shield and guards. I have not seen any unhappy AeroFlow users on any of the forums so I will give them a try. Might possibly arrive this week but with the holiday it may not make it until next week. This 1300GT is one super bike but I didn't like the air buffeting at all.
After talking with the Tech Dept at C-Bailey, I decided to go with the 25.5x25.5 light grey shield. He said that the problem with cracked windshields has been solved and that they would guarantee replacement at no cost should it crack from anything other than physical abuse.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #22 of 27 Old May 25th, 2009, 8:24 pm

How much does it cost for a complete Aero Flow set up - the shield and the wings?
post #23 of 27 Old May 25th, 2009, 9:05 pm

Pricing and Availability
Prices do not include California State Tax or Shipping and Handling charges. Please call us if you would like a shipping & handling quote.
AeroScreens: In stock and ready to ship.
Standard Height AeroScreen: $369.95
Tall Height AeroScreen: $384.95

AeroGards:
Receive a $30 discount when AeroGards are purchased with the AeroScreen, or within 30 days of screen purchase.
Clear AeroGards: $189.95
Smoke AeroGards: $209.95

Straight from Aero site

2016 BMW R1200 RT LC
2017 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversrio
BMW MOA # 146446
IBA #33267
Beer is PROOF God loves us and wants us to be happy
Days an months are travelers of eternity, So to the years that pass by.
ď the journey is the destination ď

post #24 of 27 Old May 26th, 2009, 4:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmith59
I'm one - but mostly as a result of the French importer, www.toutec.fr

My Aeroflow screens flexed and cracked, and then I got lectured by the french importer about my riding.

he felt that as UK speed limit is 70 mph and France is 130k (approx 80) that I should therefore not exceed those speeds. He ignored that there are places in Europe with no speed limit (some autobahns and Isle of Man).

the Aerogards are great, but now I have a Z-Technik with a laminar lip to make it even taller, and it doesn't flex.

its been up to 139mph off the GPS.

Aeroflow one cracked at 144mph, Aeroflow two cracked at less than 110mph

I will never, EVER buy from www.toutec.fr and will buy directly from Aeroflow in SoCal - and even pay more because of shipping and taxes

but - Aeroflows do flex - all the ones I've had did that - R11RT's, K12LT's and K12GT

I haven't looke dto see if Aeroflow has changed the wording on their site (speed limited) but when I bought, there was no speed disclaimer apart from "We don't condone speed"

Do bear in mind this is not a xenophobic thing of England v France, as the man behind www.toutec.fr is English.
post #25 of 27 Old May 26th, 2009, 8:17 pm

Appreciate the input. Forewarned is forearmed as they say.

Thanks
post #26 of 27 Old May 26th, 2009, 11:00 pm

I'm 5'9" and have the V Stream on my 2008 GT. I've had the bike up to 130 mph and the windshield was fine. A little wind on the hands but I like the height of the windshield. I can leave it down and it does not obscure my vision in the turns. Put it up about half way, I can still look over it and it reduces the winds noise by about 1/2 to 2/3, just my view. All the way up, I'm looking trough it and getting very little wind/rain.
post #27 of 27 Old May 28th, 2009, 9:48 pm Thread Starter

I received my C-Bailey +3, +2, light grey windshield today. It fit perfectly and seems to be made out of very heavy (thick) material. It's at least as thick as the one I had on my LT, maybe thicker.

Took less than 5 minutes to install and I was careful not to torque the screw over 18 inch/pounds as directed by the sticker which came on the shield. I went for a quick 15 mile ride on the Interstate, but only got to 80 mph (there's now a super speeder law in GA with extremely stiff fines for exceeding the limit by 15 mph). The section I was on had a limit of 65. Anyway, the shield is very nice and provides very good wind protection almost equal to the one on the LT. Very quiet with no turbulence at 80 mph. The shield is rock hard with absolutely no flexing.

I am very happy with it, as long as I don't have Grif's wind problem (cracking). C-Bailey assured me that it was warranted against cracking, as long as I didn't over torque the screws.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in