tunes - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Apr 11th, 2009, 2:32 pm Thread Starter

tunes

So how are u guys doing music? I like the stereo options on the LT and RT but for the GT I Am assuming it is helmet speakers or earbuds, I want to use my iPhone that is about it so do I need to go the autocom route? Would love a wireless solution.

JJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Apr 11th, 2009, 4:48 pm

Re: tunes

I'm using the Zumo 550 with the XM puck thru an Autocom. The iPhone is done by bluetooth, you'll need a dongle for the microphone to work.

I'm waiting for Bluetooth to get better, especially in the stereo option, and especially with battery life.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old Apr 11th, 2009, 11:41 pm
Super Moderator

+1 on the Autocom with the Zumo/XM combo. I ran that on my 08 GT and put it on my 09 GT as well. Miles and miles of tune filled smiles!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #4 of 22 Old Apr 12th, 2009, 12:12 am
IBR# 366

Garage

If all you want is an iPhone music connection, then a simple set of ear speakers will do fine. The Autocom/XM/GPS stuff can be quite useful, but it's far and above what you say you're looking for.

There is some bluetooth wireless helmet stuff out there, but the limitations tend to be with battery life and overall volume. Still, it might work for what you want.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 22 Old Apr 12th, 2009, 10:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
If all you want is an iPhone music connection, then a simple set of ear speakers will do fine. The Autocom/XM/GPS stuff can be quite useful, but it's far and above what you say you're looking for.
+1 on that. I use some Shure earbuds my sons bought me with my Creative Zen. Great sound & no wind noise.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #6 of 22 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 1:02 am
Cat Herder

Garage

If you want to go simple, have a set of custom ear plugs made with the audio speakers built in... If you live in the southwest or go to rallies to to find Arizona Al.... He makes the best earplugs around. I will post his phone number if I can find it...

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #7 of 22 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 8:27 am

I use the Zumo 550 with earbuds & then put a piece of paper tape over them before I put on my helmet. Works great but you have to watch for the V-1 light since you can't hear it.

I ride alone and don't need the intercom feature nor do I want to get calls on my phone.

I am thinking of trying a screamer for the V-1, but that is another project.
post #8 of 22 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 9:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm_rides
I use the Zumo 550 with earbuds & then put a piece of paper tape over them before I put on my helmet. Works great but you have to watch for the V-1 light since you can't hear it.

I ride alone and don't need the intercom feature nor do I want to get calls on my phone.

I am thinking of trying a screamer for the V-1, but that is another project.
I use the Screamer because I can't stand to have the alerts going off in my ears. It has a three position switch, Mute, Low and High. I love it and it absolutely works. Can be great fun, too. Imagine going by a LEO who has pulled over a motorist and still has his radar on.... and the thang screaming.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #9 of 22 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 9:53 am

Better Sound Quality

Like many, I too am using my Garmin 550 to play MP3s through a pair of in-ear monitors.

What annoys me about this setup is the audio quality inherent in MP3 files. Compared to the original .wav files the overall sound is less than stellar. Other than completely abandoning the MP3 feature on the Zumo and using a different player, what other suggestions are open to me? Not many I fear.

Honestly, I'm not an audio snob but the custom in-ear monitors will spoil you. Even with a capable amplifier (http://www.tesseractcorp.com/) to meld together my Zumo and Valentine 1, listening to MP3s is a huge disappointment.

Thanks,

David
post #10 of 22 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 10:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I use the Screamer because I can't stand to have the alerts going off in my ears. It has a three position switch, Mute, Low and High. I love it and it absolutely works. Can be great fun, too. Imagine going by a LEO who has pulled over a motorist and still has his radar on.... and the thang screaming.
Great visual. Putting by looking innocent all the while.

Where did you mount the audio? I was thinking under the plastic in front of the forks facing back towards me.
post #11 of 22 Old Apr 14th, 2009, 1:52 am

Re: Better Sound Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpancerz
Like many, I too am using my Garmin 550 to play MP3s through a pair of in-ear monitors.

What annoys me about this setup is the audio quality inherent in MP3 files. Compared to the original .wav files the overall sound is less than stellar. Other than completely abandoning the MP3 feature on the Zumo and using a different player, what other suggestions are open to me? Not many I fear.

Honestly, I'm not an audio snob but the custom in-ear monitors will spoil you. Even with a capable amplifier (http://www.tesseractcorp.com/) to meld together my Zumo and Valentine 1, listening to MP3s is a huge disappointment.

Thanks,

David
I use flac (lossless) or wav files & convert them to 256 on my Creative Zen. The sound is very good. You can go on up to 320 which is pretty close to lossless. Also saw a website awhile back that had a program that would allow flac files to be played on an ipod.
Wouldn't work with creative.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #12 of 22 Old Apr 14th, 2009, 5:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm_rides
Great visual. Putting by looking innocent all the while.

Where did you mount the audio? I was thinking under the plastic in front of the forks facing back towards me.
Yeppir, it's under the plastic, left side of the forks facing down. Even in that position, with full face helmet and music running, you can hear it at speed.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #13 of 22 Old Sep 4th, 2009, 2:46 pm

Just got my 06 GT this week and have an autocom unit I had purchased for my LT but did not install. Where is the recommended location to place the autocom on a GT?

Have a great ride,

David
Dallas, TX
2006 K1200GT
BMWMOA 142756
post #14 of 22 Old Sep 4th, 2009, 4:53 pm
Gold Supporter

David,

I think (and that is dangerous) that Grif has his in his tank bag. At least there is a hell of a lot of wires running in there and it hasn't blown anything up...yet.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #15 of 22 Old Sep 5th, 2009, 9:35 am

I'm using the Zumo 550 with XM + Starcom. Starcom is mounted under passenger seat. Cellphone is bluetoothed to the Zumo, Zumo connected to Starcom, Kenwood Freetalk FRS connected to Starcom. Push-to-talk switch connected to Starcom. Everything works great! Took awhile to get enough volume through com system but initially I think I had a defective headset. My current headset has helmet speaks and a cable for earphones. I'm currently using the speakers, but have the option to go to earbuds if my hearing get worse.

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #16 of 22 Old Sep 5th, 2009, 1:38 pm

After trying other brands I concluded that the CAMOS bluetooth receiver with in-helmet speakers (and mike for phone and intercom) had the best clarity. With the new iPhone 3GS you no longer even need the dongle that was required with earlier iPhone systems. With the new 3Gs iPhone I can listen to the couple thousand songs I have loaded, listen to Pandora Radio, listen to Public Radio, etc all from the iPhone. I'm also considering downloading the TomTom application and eliminating the seperate GPS. I'd love to see the TomTom app in operation first though.

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)
post #17 of 22 Old Sep 6th, 2009, 10:03 am

I have gone through the LT, RT and now the GT with having tunes as I ride. Needless to say, the hardwired solution is probably still the best way if you can stand the hooked up thing. The RT was a disaster with the shop having issues trying to get first a J&M system, then an autocomm to work, no dice. I road to Illinois and back with a Vemar helmet (which has latest bluetooth) and my gps and my ipod touch (with bluetooth dongle). Noise definitely an issue and volume and quality was seriously subpar.

I was just doing a quick hunt around the web, there is a really nice waterproof case for the Iphone 3g Iphone waterproof case.. Add the Tom Tom App, a ram mount, and voila, if you have a good bluetooth headset, all is taken care of.

Tony

Tony Carpenter

BMW K1200LT 2008
post #18 of 22 Old Sep 6th, 2009, 10:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makzimia
Add the Tom Tom App, a ram mount, and voila, if you have a good bluetooth headset, all is taken care of.

Tony
Did you download the Tomtom app? If so, how is it working?

post #19 of 22 Old Sep 7th, 2009, 8:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moot
Did you download the Tomtom app? If so, how is it working?
No Moot sorry, just did a quick read up on it, seems similar in functionality to the normal device, what I know of it. The only downside to it, is, if the iphone works like normal. Currently not sure you would be able to listen to music while Tom Tom is in the foreground giving you directions .

Tony

Tony Carpenter

BMW K1200LT 2008
post #20 of 22 Old Sep 7th, 2009, 10:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makzimia
No Moot sorry, just did a quick read up on it, seems similar in functionality to the normal device, what I know of it. The only downside to it, is, if the iphone works like normal. Currently not sure you would be able to listen to music while Tom Tom is in the foreground giving you directions .

Tony
Inability to run The TomTom app while listening to music would be a total non-starter.

post #21 of 22 Old Sep 11th, 2009, 8:14 am

Update on this, the Tom Tom app like any on the iphone will in fact work while the ipod function is playing in the background. Phone calls do interrupt and return to the music. I also believe from my wife's information, that there is an app which makes non apple apps run in the background. The iphone OS after all is OSX basically.

Bottom line, my previous idea, waterproof cover etc, very likely viable.

Tony

Tony Carpenter

BMW K1200LT 2008
post #22 of 22 Old Sep 15th, 2009, 7:03 pm

Grifscoots,

How did you get the IPod BlueTooth to work!?
I've never been successfull!

Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in