Looking at GT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2009, 5:42 pm Thread Starter

Looking at GT

I currently own an LT. I am looking at the GT and am wondering about the ride on the back for the SO. She will fall asleep on the LT once in awhile and she really thinks that it is comfortable. For those of you that have made the switch and still have your SO ride with you how is it for her? We are taking a test ride tomorrow but those can only go so far. I am also wondering about raising the front of the seat up a little so I sit more like an LT. I love the LT but most of my riding is to work and around town and a couple of two of more day rides in the summer (this summer Yellowstone). I don't want the SO flying back because she can't stand the longer rides. I have looked at several of the other posts and it looks like I can make other adjustments from what some of you are saying but the seat and the ride for the SO are the ones I am wondering about.
Thanks for any information that you may be able to provide.
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2009, 6:58 pm

Re: Looking at GT

I can tell from going through this change that the GT is not as comfortable in any way for the passenger. If yours is falling asleep on the LT, she won't be doing that on the GT. That isn't to say that the GT is bad, but the LT is awfully hard to beat for passenger comfort. Our main problem turned out to be wind that came around the fairing. Once we ordered the Aeroflow shield with the side deflectors, the GT got much better. The seat is far from the LT in comfort.

That being said, the GT brings much to the riding experience that the LT lacks such as smaller size and weight, power, handling, power, easier parking and center stand usage, power, power....... well, you get the picture.
post #3 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2009, 8:00 pm

My wife loved the LT (07) and like the GT but is not as comfortable for her. I love the GT but I also loved the LT, I wish I had both one for solo and one for long trips not saying that the GT is not comfortable because it is, but the LT was little better.. Now my wife is driving a soft tail and she loves that bike and does not ride with me often now. You are going to love the GT for your commuting but if you can keep the LT I would. You can also change the sit on the GT for a more comfortable one as well as the windshield. Good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BMW K1200GT 2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic (Atlas)
BMWMOA # 130458

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HD FLSTN Softail Deluxe 2008 Suede Blue & V. Black(hers)

post #4 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2009, 8:06 pm

Might I suggest you try an RT?

If you haven't, your SO will most likely enjoy the passenger seat much better. Strangely enough, I took my wife by the local BMW dealership and we sat on both the GT and RT. The RT was immediately obvious to both of us that it would be MUCH more comfy on a long ride. BTW, I have an 02 LTC.

I think most on this site will tell you that the GT is a fantastic motorcycle but, if you're looking for long distance, 2 up touring bike to replace the LT, you will be dissapointed with the GT. It would take some extra spending to make it do what you want and, the GT is already a wallet flattening experience. One shouldn't have to spend hundreds more on custom seats and windshields on a motorcycle that costs 20K+.

Last but not least. If you can't, or won't tolerate the mild vibration of an RT, and you still want an in line 4 sport touring bike, take a look at the Yamaha FJR1300. It's the sport touring bargain of the century.

My apologies to the BMW only fans.....
post #5 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2009, 9:54 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I've heard one or two passengers say the GT is more comfortable than the LT. But for the vast majority (including my wife), it simply isn't.

That isn't to say it's horrible for passengers, but the LT truly spoils passengers for any other bike.

But you can't take our word for it. You have to do the test ride two-up and see what she thinks. In the end, that's all that really matters here.

And while the FJR may be a "bargain" it would be even worse for a passenger . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 13 Old Apr 8th, 2009, 8:10 am

It's all a matter of perspective. We moved more toward the "touring" side when we got the GT from our previous "tourer" (1990 CBR100F Honda), so it was more comfortable for the passenger.

But stepping more to the "sport" side (from a luxury tourer), I can't imagine it'd be more comfortable or even equal. Maybe aftermarket seats would help, not sure.

Good news is that your SO might not fall asleep so easily when you are ripping around on the GT!
post #7 of 13 Old Apr 8th, 2009, 9:39 am

My wife loved the LT but has only been on the GT once and only once. She felt more secure on the LT. So now she has to ride her bike more

Cheers,

Jim
MSF Rider Coach

Haverhill, MA
66 R50/2
92 R100R
07 Silver KGT
post #8 of 13 Old Apr 8th, 2009, 12:54 pm

As noted perspective or relativity is to be considered.

Those that say blatantly that the GT is uncomfortable are basing it on their perspective. Now a Mercedes is way more comfortable than a LT but that's persepective...of course it should be. Hence the LT and GT. I moved up from a K1100RS that my wife hated to ride on. I wanted some sport touring and liked the GT. It was bigger and ny wife liked the seat (stock) better than the Corbin on the RS. And with the 28liter top case with backrest she loved it and we took a 2 week tour last year with no complaints.

All this again is persepective. Your wife may hate the GT versus the LT for her...but you will love it.
post #9 of 13 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 2:42 pm

SO ? LT rules.
post #10 of 13 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 3:19 pm

I can't speak to the rear seat comfort question, but I took a 1200GT for a ride last year and found the drive train lash to unacceptable. On and off throttle changes were way too harsh. I also had a hard time with the riding position. It put too much pressure on my wrist. I broke my wrist 2 years ago in an ATV accident and have a few screws and plate in it, so I have some medical issues.

The GT was fast as hell.. reminded me of my friends ZX1100 Ninja. Only problem was I wanted a touring bike, not a sport bike. I missed the radio and the wind protection that the LT offered. I left the dealership and got back on my LT and loved it that much more. It was like coming home from an exciting vacation and sleeping in my own bed. Vacations are fun, but there is no place like home. I wouldn't trade my LT for a GT.

Vince - 2003 LT.

post #11 of 13 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 5:53 pm

Yeah big ol'cars are comfortable too....
post #12 of 13 Old Apr 11th, 2009, 11:07 pm

I currently have a 07'Gt and I am looking to purchase a LT. The Gt is a great bike with plenty of power, but it's lacking in the comfort department. Since I am 6'-1", my legs tend to get real uncomfortable. The fairing limits modofications.
My only concern is regressing to the "flying brick". The new k motor is a dream.
post #13 of 13 Old Apr 12th, 2009, 12:16 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrdr
Since I am 6'-1", my legs tend to get real uncomfortable. The fairing limits modifications.
Have you touched down the GT's pegs yet? If not, then a set of peg extenders may do wonders for you. Also, a custom seat maker can raise the GT's seat an inch or so, which can also make a dramatic difference in knee bend and thus overall comfort.

I agree that the LT is still a bit more comfortable than the GT, but the GT just does everything else so much better.

If nothing else, take an extended test ride on an LT before you make a final decision. The comfort may outweigh the diminished power and the extra 200 lbs, but then again, it may not.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in