BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

fuel question for K1300GT owners

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  REWDOC 
#1 ·
Got a question for anyone with a '09 GT. What are your indications when the fuel gets down to the reserve level? In particular, do you get the triangular yellow caution light coming
on? I believe the owners manual says it is supposed to come on, plus the little fuel gauge symbol flashes.
I have run two tanks of gas down to the point where it took 6.3 gallons to fill it up, and never got a yellow caution light coming on.
Just got the bike back from dealer. He replaced the inop RT turn signal and did the 600 mile service. I told him about the light not coming on. He said everything checked out fine on the fuel gauge, and that the manual may not of been updated. I have had 5 BMW's since 1999 and they all had this yellow caution light come on when the level got down to a certain level.
Thanks for the response in advance.

#2 ·
Most likely the fuel gauge needs to be calibrated. Why the dealer didn't suggest this I can't tell you, but it is something they can do fairly easily. I had it done on my 08 GT under warranty. So far the 09 GT seems to be pretty accurate from the factory.

#4 · (Edited)
thanks for response, but I would like to know exactly what indications people are actually getting. The dealer did have the tank off and said everything seemed to be calibrated correctly. He made it sound like I would not get the yellow caution light coming on when the level hit a certain level.

#5 ·
You most certainly will get the Yellow Icon warning of the Low Fuel icon being lit. The first thing I did was see how far I could ride on a tank. I learned the fuel warning light comes on early. I filled up the first time immediately after seeing the light and only put in 5 gal.

My dealer said the fuel gauge would calibrate itself after several fill ups and low warnings and advised cycling the tank completely through full and reserve. He also advised filling the bike with fuel to the top every time as compared to only a gallon or two.

I never use a fuel gauge and depend soley on the trip meter. At 200 miles on my GT I'm looking for gas.

#6 ·
kapod2t said:
You most certainly will get the Yellow Icon warning of the Low Fuel icon being lit. The first thing I did was see how far I could ride on a tank. I learned the fuel warning light comes on early. I filled up the first time immediately after seeing the light and only put in 5 gal.

kapod2t:

It looks like you have a K1200GT, I had an '07GT. I need someone with an '09 model. I know how the older models worked, just trying to find out if it changed on the '09. That seems to be what the mechanic is telling me.

#7 ·
I have an 09 K1300GT. Only put three tanks through it. The last time, I ran it down to reserve. Yellow light did come on and the little gas pump flashes. My concern is that the computer said I had 38 miles left in the tank. I rode 2 miles and filled it up . It took 6.3 gallons. I thought that was the max on the tank.

#8 ·
McWideglide said:
I have an 09 K1300GT. Only put three tanks through it. The last time, I ran it down to reserve. Yellow light did come on and the little gas pump flashes. My concern is that the computer said I had 38 miles left in the tank. I rode 2 miles and filled it up . It took 6.3 gallons. I thought that was the max on the tank.
If you are trusting your gauge, I would carry spare gas. 6.3 is the claimed capacity. Although I drilled holes in my filler neck and have actually squeezed in 6.5 gals.

#10 ·
I had a 2006GT fuel guage worked perfectly. My 2009 ran out of gas with "50 miles remaining) and no light. The bike has been in for warranty service twice. The first time, they told me that they are waiting for some fix fom BMW. I took it back 2 weeks ago, and today I was told that all parts have been checked and everything is up top spec. They said the light now comes on, but my guage will show 2 bars when the tank is empty. I am picking it up tomorrow and will see what is going on. I really want to see the light go on even if I have to run it almost dry. I will keep you posted.

#12 ·
My 2008 GT warning light seems to come on when I have two gallons remaining in the tank. I have refueled when then range calculator indicated 10 miles remaining and still had 1 gallon in the tank. I'm not sure what will happen after that. When it gets to zero, will it start over with a reserve indication of approximately 40 miles?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.