2009 K1300GT Tank Bag - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 8:02 am Thread Starter

2009 K1300GT Tank Bag

Hi,
I recently traded in my '07 R1200RT for the '09 K1300GT and very much looking forward to our first trip. So far I only have one question and that is...what about the tank bag, BMW or after market? I will really miss the quick lock (on/off) feature of the BMW RT tank bag and I understand that the BMW tank bag for the GT is a strap on. The dealer didn't have any GT tank bags in stock to look at, so I have no idea how is placed on the GT and I would rather not have any bag laying directly on the tank. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Anthony
Toronto Canada
'09 K1300GT - Falcon
'07 R1200RT - Silver Falcon
'03 HD Sportster XL1200C Anniversary - Shake & Bake

Last edited by falconspirit; Mar 22nd, 2009 at 8:26 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 8:47 am

Re: 2009 K1300GT Tank Bag

I'll need a tank bag as well. My dealer has the BMW bag and Whitby has 7 (distributor). The part number is the same as 2008. I had a Touratech on my RT and liked it, Montreal is the nearest Touratech dealer.

1986 Yamaha FJ600
2002 Honda VTX 1800C
2006 BMW R1200RT
2009 BMW K1300GT
post #3 of 9 Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 9:56 am

I had the Marsee corona on my 07GT and thought it stood too high off the tank, so traded it off for an Engage tank bag. Got it off Pirates Liar website. May not hold as much, but I think it looks a whole lot better on the tank.

Rick
'09 K1300GT
Royal Blue

post #4 of 9 Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 11:23 am

I have an 08 with the factory BMW tank bag. It's easy to get on, and off you just push the clips and it comes right off. Nice and roomy, and does not block your view of the factory mount for the GPS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank bag.png
Views:	381
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	22296  
post #5 of 9 Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 11:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN.GT
I had the Marsee corona on my 07GT and thought it stood too high off the tank, so traded it off for an Engage tank bag. Got it off Pirates Liar website. May not hold as much, but I think it looks a whole lot better on the tank.
I have an Engage tank bag on my 2007 GT and I recommend it. I bought it from Pirate's Lair. One reason that I like it so much is that the smallish size of the Engage bag is just what I wanted.

Here are some useful points to consider:

* Check to make sure that the gas cap on your new K1300GT matches the Bags Connection (SW-Motech) fitting. I read somewhere that there may be an issue with the new K1300GTs. As long as it has the same screw fittings at the K1200GT you will be fine. If you don't see the screw fittings, then it may not work. Contact Bags Connection to find out if they have a solution. The same issue may apply to a Marsee corona, too, so check first.

* I prefer the Bags Connection (SW-Motech) fitting over the Marsee corona fitting. They seem similar, but the Bags Connection fitting has a positive, spring-loaded latch. To release the bag, you pull on a cord attached to the spring loaded pin.

* Bags Connection makes many different size and shape bags. If you want something larger than my Engage bag, they have it. They all fit the SW-Motech mount. There are lots of accessories that fit the bags and SW-Motech mount, too. Some of them are electrified. I have the plain map pocket, which is separately attachable. Sweet. I am thinking about buying the shock absorbing camera mount, too.

* I took the the 1.5 liter liner from a Camelbak pack and put it in my Engage bag. I have the drinking tube coming out of the side zipper, and tucked under the map pocket. Any time I want a sip while riding, I pull the tube out, put it under my helmet, and then tuck the end under the map pocket when done. I don't like the idea of wearing a pack all day while riding. This is much better for me. The Engage bag has a removable divider inside, so even with the Camelbak liner, there is still room for my cellphone, camera, etc.
post #6 of 9 Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 8:29 am

I just got the Bag's Connection "City" bag for my 2008. Installation on the bike side was easy, installation of the latching mechanism on the bag side was a little more fiddly (the bolts they give you are just long enough so they don't stick up too much inside the bag).

But in general looks good. No "field testing" as of yet, but looks like a winner versus my usual "strap and clip" versions.
post #7 of 9 Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 11:53 am

I'm a big fan and long time user of RKA bags. Lots of tank bags specific to BMWs.

www.rka-luggage.com
post #8 of 9 Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 12:13 pm

Falcon spirit I found this today, and it won't last long if I were you I would jump on it:
http://www.bmwmoa.org/flea/detail.php?siteid=15389#
post #9 of 9 Old Mar 24th, 2009, 10:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconspirit
Hi,
I recently traded in my '07 R1200RT for the '09 K1300GT and very much looking forward to our first trip. So far I only have one question and that is...what about the tank bag, BMW or after market? I will really miss the quick lock (on/off) feature of the BMW RT tank bag and I understand that the BMW tank bag for the GT is a strap on. The dealer didn't have any GT tank bags in stock to look at, so I have no idea how is placed on the GT and I would rather not have any bag laying directly on the tank. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Try Cycle Gadgets for "Big Mac" tank bags. They don't touch the tank and are easy to gas up. I have had several on different bikes. I did like the setup on the RT.

David Cox

06 K12GT
09 K13GT
07 F800ST

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in