Powering A Gps On My 07gt... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Feb 19th, 2009, 6:35 pm Thread Starter

Question Powering A Gps On My 07gt...

I am mounting a Garmin 2720 on my '07 GT and I was wondering if anyone ever ran it straight from the battery. It's so convenient to power it from there AND I like to be able to use mine when the bike is off sometimes. Now...I know that the downside is: If you leave it on...DEAD battery.

Question: Has anyone on here ever had yours wired to a non-switched source?

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by cccpastorjack; Feb 19th, 2009 at 7:11 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Feb 19th, 2009, 7:19 pm

Re: Powering A Gps On My 07gt...

Both my bikes are hardwired to battery. Just don't forget to shut it off or you'll have a dead battery if you don't ride for a few days. Someone posted up a new fuse box that has both switched and always on posts.

Edit: found it http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...highlight=fuse

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #3 of 15 Old Feb 19th, 2009, 7:25 pm Thread Starter

Cool! Thanks Neil. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only IDIOT out there who decided to hard wire that sucker!!!!!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #4 of 15 Old Feb 19th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Cool! Thanks Neil. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only IDIOT out there who decided to hard wire that sucker!!!!!
maybe I am the only cheap idiot around

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #5 of 15 Old Feb 19th, 2009, 7:54 pm

My two sets of aux. lights are hard wired with on/off switches. I left the lights on at a restaurant in Malibu and came out to a dead battery. ARGH!! Take it from me, Ruby is no fun to push start .

'05 1200 RT, Ruby, as in RED, '04 1150 RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto,
'93 Yamaha Seca II, '93 K1100RS (Silk Blue), '83 Yamaha Maxim 750
post #6 of 15 Old Feb 19th, 2009, 7:56 pm

I got mine wired to the battery. It makes it handy to find your next destination without having to start the bike, or have the gps turn off on you when your at a gas stop. I've left it on for an hour with no effect on being able to start the bike up. In fact l left the power on to the bike and motolights and gps on by accident during a lunch break, and she still started fine.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #7 of 15 Old Feb 19th, 2009, 8:18 pm

A lot of GPS receivers have an auto power down sequence when the screen or position is unchanging for a while. It's usually an option in the set-up menu. I had a Magellan RM760 set up that way when connected to constant-on power. It shut off after 15 minutes and always prompted first to check if you still might be using it then did a short countdown (30 secs) to turn off. Try that.
post #8 of 15 Old Feb 19th, 2009, 8:48 pm

Hey Jack, I have my GPS wired to a Painless fuse box that has 3 always hot and 4 switched circuits. The GPS is to the always hot. I likes it that way and had it that way on the LT. You don't have to wait for it to start up if you stop for gas, to eat, etc. I'm just in the habit of shutting stuff off if I need to.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #9 of 15 Old Feb 19th, 2009, 10:59 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Both my GPS's are hard wired to the battery. No problems, as they draw so little current. The GPS's maintain satellite lock the whole time, and it makes it nice for tracking your averages over a 24-hour period.

Oh, and the Fuzeblock is a great little unit, developed by an LD rider. Expensive, but worth it (kinda like the bike itself).

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 15 Old Feb 20th, 2009, 1:00 am
Super Moderator

I got the Touratech CanBus helper and powered the GPS and other accessories through that. It's has power and ground and is set up to be switched power rather than hot all the time. I connected the trigger wire to one of the parking lamps; it works like a charm.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #11 of 15 Old Feb 20th, 2009, 10:29 am Thread Starter

Thanks guys...it is now certain that I will not be "the only IDIOT" out there with my GPS wired to the battery!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #12 of 15 Old Feb 20th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Thanks guys...it is now certain that I will not be "the only IDIOT" out there with my GPS wired to the battery!
Just the friendliest one

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #13 of 15 Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 9:18 pm

I have the GPS and two extra Powerlet outlets wired straight to the battery (with in-line fuses on all lines). I will NOT have any trouble running two Gerbing jackets on my GT, and I can use a standard, non-BMW smart charger to charge the battery.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #14 of 15 Old Mar 29th, 2009, 10:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbuttwannabe
Both my bikes are hardwired to battery. Just don't forget to shut it off or you'll have a dead battery if you don't ride for a few days. Someone posted up a new fuse box that has both switched and always on posts.

Edit: found it http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...highlight=fuse
On both my 06 and 09 GT's, I put a relay in near the battery (it fits under the cover) which is direct wired to battery. The relay is tripped on when the key is turned on by a trip wire which comes from the special BMW outlet (standard equipment) just in front and under the battery cover. It is difficult to see. This outlet was for the BMW GPS hook-up.As many as five different accessories can be connected to the relay.

David Cox

06 K12GT
09 K13GT
07 F800ST
post #15 of 15 Old Apr 8th, 2009, 11:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbuttwannabe
maybe I am the only cheap idiot around
Nope, you can add me to that list. I thought MC parts were expensive back in the 70's (and they were), but now they are thru the roof. Ah, what the heck. My wife ain't gonna let me put any money in the casket anyway.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in