Need Suggestions For A 3 Day Texas / Mexico Ride?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 7:45 pm Thread Starter

Need Suggestions For A 3 Day Texas / Mexico Ride??

i just found ou tthat i will be spending the weekend.. friday > monday in San Antonio TX..

My BWM K1200GT is there.. so i figure a ride is in order...

the only problem is... i dont know where or what makes a good ride in this area???

your ideas are appreciated!!!

thanks to you all.

Casey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 8:29 pm

Re: Need Suggestions For A 3 Day Texas / Mexico Ride??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpadula1
i just found ou tthat i will be spending the weekend.. friday > monday in San Antonio TX..

the only problem is... i dont know where or what makes a good ride in this area???

thanks to you all.

Casey
Casey - take a look at this website - click on the TX State outline, then on the next page, click on the Hill Country outline, then when you place your cursor on the town dots, the name of the town will show - and the road numberings are listed on the right margin. Depending on where you're staying in San Antonio, you can either go west on IH-10 and take the 550 exit, stay on the access road and go thru the stop light and Alamo BMW/Triumph dealership will be on your right. They can direct you to some of the nice rides in the Hill Country. OR, you can take a run outta San Antonio on Hwy 16 west over to Bandera, and then over to Medina. In Medina, take a left onto 337 over to Vanderpool; a right about a mile and 337 again takes off to your left. Take that over to Leakey and ask directions to the motorcycle friendly cafe. With time, you can also ride 335 and 336 (all known as the Three Sisters). Those are marked in red on the Hill Country map page.

Have fun, Casey. Ride safe in the Hill Country, and pay attention to the speed limits up there - local LEOs are active on the weekend due to the numerous sport bike outings.
post #3 of 9 Old Feb 9th, 2009, 5:00 pm

ditto the ride suggestion.

The cafe in Leaky is the ...... Leaky Feed Lot

According to Texas Monthly, who named it one of the "Top 40 Small Town Cafes in Texas"..

Co-owner Leonard Bludworth likes to joke, “If you put a plate of our food on top of your head, your tongue will knock your ear off trying to get to it.” That might be a stretch, but the food is darn good. Personal inspection confirmed the quality of the much-ballyhooed chicken-fry, and rumor has it that the fried shrimp plate is awesome too. With its weathered wood siding, peeling tin roof, Texas and American flags, and general junkyard atmosphere, the Feed Lot is fun, especially in the summer after tubing down the Rio Frio. 547 U.S. 83 S, 830-232-5919. Open Mon & Thur—Sat 11—2 & 5—9, Sun 11—2. Closed Tue & Wed. KT

Ride to Eat - Eat to Ride

-Brian

Brian Vandivere
2008 RT

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Thomas Jefferson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old Feb 9th, 2009, 5:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpadula1

thanks to you all.

Casey
Hello!! I would stay in Texas, Hill country yes, listen to the Texas riders, they know best. I lived in Mexico, Monterrey to be more exact and I go to McAllen from Maine often due to Mom been there. I lived in Texas many years and my wife is from there. Her MC plates here in Maine read TXCHK I am flying next month to Mcallen and wish I was driving my GT, two years ago I went to Dallas in my LT. Mexico is not safe right now even border Mexicans will not go unless they have to. Some bad gangs were persecuted in Mexico city and some desided to muve north and that is the result of it. If need to go then go with friend but is up to you. Enjoy your riding that here in Maine is cold with lots of snow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BMW K1200GT 2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic (Atlas)
BMWMOA # 130458

HD FLSTN Softail Deluxe 2008 Suede Blue & V. Black(hers)
post #5 of 9 Old Feb 18th, 2009, 4:00 pm Thread Starter

WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!

after some final research i decided to do a 3 day tour of the BIG BEND region...

Day 1 San Antonio to the Chisos Mountain Lodge
Day 2 Chisos through the Presidio to Fort Davis
Day 3 Fort Davis to San Antonio..

1285 miles, and an absolute blast..

beautiful country, quite a bit of speedy twisites and good food along the way made for a great get away!

thanks to all that assisted int he request - if anyone needs and info on the ride just ask ill help anyway i can..

Casey
post #6 of 9 Old Feb 19th, 2009, 9:03 am

Glad you had a good ride. Big Bend is an amazing place and something everyone should see.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #7 of 9 Old Feb 19th, 2009, 9:55 am

sounds real good, lots of fun Next time I go am thinking in renting a bike and do the same. Do you have any piks???

BMWMOA # 130458

post #8 of 9 Old Feb 19th, 2009, 10:21 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinedr
sounds real good, lots of fun Next time I go am thinking in renting a bike and do the same. Do you have any piks???
Hey Doc CHECK these folks out. I have no affiliation nor get any thing from them. Just nice people with BMW bikes to rent.

Stevie Shreeve
post #9 of 9 Old Feb 20th, 2009, 1:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Hey Doc CHECK these folks out. I have no affiliation nor get any thing from them. Just nice people with BMW bikes to rent.
Nice, It is good to know that HD is not the only choice now I am going to plan a trip to Texas with options. Two years ago I droved from Maine to Dallas in my LT but it takes 3 days one way, so with limited time is nice to have options. Thanks for the info

BMWMOA # 130458

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in