What To Expect / Look For '08 GT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Feb 6th, 2009, 8:57 am Thread Starter

What To Expect / Look For '08 GT

I've been reading with interest about some of the technical issues that many of you have noted with the '06 to '08 GT. When I take delivery of my '08 and go out for a few rides, what are some of the behaviors I should be looking for from this bike which may indicate all is not quite right? So far, it seems I should be watching for a touchy throttle at the low end, a dead spot in the 3500 to 4500 range. The rear end has also had some problems, and clutches have been known to make some unnatural sounds. I believe the build date on mine was Dec 1st.

Naturally, I'm hoping for the best, and pray that BMW addressed most of these isues at the factory once they were identified as being problematic. However design issues are design issues,and the sometimes can't be corrected until the next series is released.

If any of you have a recently purchased GT and can comment on these "last of the year" GT's, being de-bugged, and how well they behave in comarison to the earlier units, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks All!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Feb 6th, 2009, 1:14 pm

Re: What To Expect / Look For '08 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankerBiker
I've been reading with interest about some of the technical issues that many of you have noted with the '06 to '08 GT. When I take delivery of my '08 and go out for a few rides, what are some of the behaviors I should be looking for from this bike which may indicate all is not quite right? So far, it seems I should be watching for a touchy throttle at the low end, a dead spot in the 3500 to 4500 range. The rear end has also had some problems, and clutches have been known to make some unnatural sounds. I believe the build date on mine was Dec 1st.

Naturally, I'm hoping for the best, and pray that BMW addressed most of these isues at the factory once they were identified as being problematic. However design issues are design issues,and the sometimes can't be corrected until the next series is released.

If any of you have a recently purchased GT and can comment on these "last of the year" GT's, being de-bugged, and how well they behave in comarison to the earlier units, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks All!
Most likely, throttle issues that result in trailing red lights.
post #3 of 6 Old Feb 6th, 2009, 1:32 pm

WATCH THE THROTTLE.They are scary fast.I liken it to my wife's C6 'vette.At about half throttle you start to hear this loud roar and start sliding backwards on the seat,it's baaaaaaad! Other than the quirkiness of the off idle /first gear throttle response I'd say she was darn near Puuuuuuurfect.

post #4 of 6 Old Feb 11th, 2009, 7:04 pm

What to expect you say!!! Expect speeding tickets and flashing red lights in your rear view mirrors. The warp speed is adictive and expensive.
post #5 of 6 Old Feb 16th, 2009, 10:54 am
fas

Talking Re: What To Expect / Look For '08 GT

I rode my GT hard and had zero issues other than the tires wore out too darn fast! The GT is now the lowest net cost per mile of the two BMW's I owned. I tend to move on to new toys rather quickly. I loved it and I plan to get an 09 GT. I added the Alaska butt pad and the V-Tech windshield to my 06 GT. (which my wife really loved). She claimed a 25% improvement in buffetting. She preferred the GT over the LT. We rode the GT to Niagara Falls for my 60th B'Day!

Here is the deal on the K1300GT FYI gang. This is the same place where I bought 2 new BMW bikes. Sills in Cleveland. Great folks and reasonable.

Hi Rob,
The K1300GT's rolled in late yesterday afternoon. I got a red one and a magnesium one. Here are the prices: Red one: List $22,090.00 your price $20947.387.75% Tax:$1623.42Title: $54.50Total: $22,625.30 Magnesium: List $22,740.00 your price:$21,593.267.75% tax: $1673.47Title: $54.50Total: $23,321.23 The difference between the two units, is the magnesium one has TPM and ASC (tire presssure monitoring and anti skid control) on it. And, yes, if you wanted to, I could (rather Zack & Bruce could) swap out the body panels on either unit to suit your taste. We have them in the shop right now, and I'll have them on the floor Monday/Tuesday ish. So stop on by! Take care,PamSill's Motor Sales

Rob Nelson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #6 of 6 Old Feb 18th, 2009, 4:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankerBiker
I believe the build date on mine was Dec 1st.
When you say Dec 1st - I take it you mean Dec 1st 2007.

My GT was manufactured 2nd week of Feb 08.

I had an EWS recall - mine hadn't failed but was replaced becasue BMW identified it as a possible, the suspension upgrade (thicker link), software upgrade to cure the crap alarm and that's it - apart from this strange failure of the cam chain tensioner and generator.

It seems the generator was failing from new - so watch the charge rate. I have a Kisan tech chargegard so I could see it throwing up to 30 amps one minute to -1 a second later. That seemed to die at the same time as the cam chain tensioner.

I suspect they were linked - low battery (and hence poor start) resulting in a possible stick of the tensioner due to a "non-start" - how do you describe an attempted start with a sensation of almost a non-spin of the engine?

Anyway - I've got a new engine from BMW - just waiting for shims to arrive now, and my bike will be back, with a chassis of some 33,500 miles and an engine with 0 miles.

The run-out 08's had all the patches - except for the bits I noted above, so should be clean and ready to run.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in