'08 GT Set Up Suggestions Requested - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jan 29th, 2009, 9:49 am Thread Starter

'08 GT Set Up Suggestions Requested

In about 10 days, my new 1200 GT arrives from Max BMW. Given that its beings shipped, Max will be unable to assist me with the initial set up for seats bars, or suspension.

I thought I would ask everyone for some suggestions on settings for the various adjustable components. I'm exactly 6 foot, about 185 and in good shape.

Given that I've been off a bike for some time, I'd like to set up the bike somewhat conservatively given that I'll be taking it easy for awhile, and not be taking on passengers. I'll also be staying out of the "Ye - Haw!" area of the tach for awhile, but I must admit, I can't wait to wake the motor up and see what kind of beastie lurks within.

Overall, mild to moderate setup, keeping it at legal speeds for a while - breaking it, and me, in easy.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions - and anything else you can share about the first few weeks with the bike would be welcomed ( do this - don't do that).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jan 29th, 2009, 10:45 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: '08 GT Set Up Suggestions Requested

Here is my break-in story.

The GT is a fine bike, but there are relatively few stock settings that you can modify. Fortunately these are easy to change, even on the side of the road, so you can try things out several ways.

Some guys like the sportier feel so they run the bars all the way down. Other guys like a more relaxed setting, so they run the bars all the way up. And some, like me, add bar extenders to sit even more upright. All it takes is a Torx wrench that lives under the seat, so you can move things around until you find what you like.

The seat has two positions and is even easier to move. The lower position tucks you into the bike more but may cramp your knees if you have long legs. The higher position stretches you out a bit, but puts you a bit more up into the wind. Some guys want even more legroom so they add peg extenders, but that does limit your cornering clearance some.

I'd say don't stress about it too much, and just try it a few different ways until you find what works for you.

Oh, and when you do get the GT up above 7 grand, you'd better be holding on tight.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 8 Old Jan 29th, 2009, 11:19 am
fas

Talking Re: '08 GT Set Up Suggestions Requested

After some experimentation, I preferred the bars all the way up. I preferred the seat high too as the low setting caused more of an inclined plane situation.

Much over 5000 rpm and the bike takes on a new personality!

Be certain you take it easy until the rubber is cleaned off.

I ppwer slid mine quite by accident giving it too much juice in a turn on some silt.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.

post #4 of 8 Old Jan 29th, 2009, 4:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankerBiker
I'll also be staying out of the "Ye - Haw!" area of the tach for awhile, but I must admit, I can't wait to wake the motor up and see what kind of beastie lurks within.

I think we all said that and it last about to the first set of cars you need to pass. And that is when the beast digs its' claws into you never to let go.

So I broke it in on the first day and the 600 mile service done on the 3rd day.

Set up is all to you. What I like you may hate. Try others KGT, if they let you, and make your choices after that.

Cheers and try not to hurt yourself smiling.

Jim
MSF Rider Coach

Haverhill, MA
66 R50/2
92 R100R
07 Silver KGT
post #5 of 8 Old Jan 29th, 2009, 5:18 pm

My bars are all the way down, Kontour seats and Cee Bailey windshield. You'll want to install a fuse box for farkles and an extra power socket.

Visit the Hall of Wisdom on our sister site www.k-bikes.com for installation tips and how to's.

Oh yeah, get back to us on that taking it easy thang.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #6 of 8 Old Jan 30th, 2009, 11:11 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
I power slid mine quite by accident giving it too much juice in a turn on some silt.
That's why Wernher and Hans invented ASC . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 8 Old Feb 6th, 2009, 8:44 am Thread Starter

Grifscoots - On another posting you noted that the new 2300 may have improved the rear end issue on the 1200 - what did you mean, ie what was the problem people encountered - sloppy? prone to failure? Also you mentioned the touchy throttle - can you give me an idea about what I'll be experiencing there?
post #8 of 8 Old Feb 6th, 2009, 11:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankerBiker
Grifscoots - On another posting you noted that the new 2300 may have improved the rear end issue on the 1200 - what did you mean, ie what was the problem people encountered - sloppy? prone to failure? Also you mentioned the touchy throttle - can you give me an idea about what I'll be experiencing there?
BMW has stated they have done some changes on the the rear end of the 1300. No one knows, yet, if they've solved any problems. Time will tell. Be aware that not everyone has a problem, you know about it because the person that does hollers. We would be bored to tears if everyone posted that everything was good. BTW, at around 30,000 everything is good.

High idle and bucking bike syndrome are so obvious that YOU WILL KNOW it. Both of these symptoms are indicated by a precursor of the throttle feeling like it's an ON/OFF switch. You'll be riding in traffic thinking that if you had a passenger, your helmets would be bonking. The bike starts bucking and the idle takes a bit to drop below 1200 RPM. A dealer usually can fix this with a new airbox and software.

My bike (after the airbox fix) was still experiencing some flat spots in the fueling map. It lessened tons when I replaced the O2 sensor, but it still wasn't totally right. It has been perfect since I installed the Power Frk. I haven't been blowing that horn in jubilation, yet, as I haven't ridden the bike in hot weather since the install. It works thru the airbox temp sensor. On our older LTs, unplugging the airbox temp sensor did away with hesitation in hot weather and actually became a BMW approved fix.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in