Very VERY sick GT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 2:31 pm Thread Starter

Very VERY sick GT

So, get to the petrol station, and fill up.

Bike is a right pain to start, doing the "I don't want to" bit.

It starts, but sounds like a bag of nails, with the alternator waring showing.

Get halway home and have to push it the remaining 600 yrds

Odd thing - the ancilliary lights and systems kept coming switching on and off - like the Sat nav stays on.

Got in, out of kit, then pulled the fuses on the centech box controlling the autocom and LEDs

Manage to start it again, and boy, big time bag of nails, as if big end failure, or exhaust falling off, and again, alternator waring remaining on.

Bike is an 08, on the road end of march, 33,400 miles up - all services on schedule.

ideas?

Niall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 4:31 pm

Re: Very VERY sick GT

I bet it's either the sprocket behind the clutch basket, or the cam chain tensioner.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 39 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 4:36 pm
Gold Supporter

I'll bet it's going to require tools. Can I help?

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #4 of 39 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 4:42 pm

It's still under warranty.. Take it to the dealer...You've got a mess on your hands..

I hope they don't try to blame it on something you've done...

Good Luck

JOn

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #5 of 39 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 4:46 pm

Yep...I would have it towed to a dealer and let them deal with it. Sounds like it could be something in the alternator...maybe a bad bearing causing the armature to bang around. Glad it happened now...another 3k and you woulda' been in for a steep repair bill.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 39 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 6:51 pm

Their is one w13K at the local dealer with a hole in the piston.....piston was actually hitting the spark plug Side note: this happened almost right after a valve adjust

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #7 of 39 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 9:45 pm

But guys....why the alternator warning light and malfunctions of electrical components???

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 39 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 10:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
But guys....why the alternator warning light and malfunctions of electrical components???
Hi, Rev. I know, I know this be right up your alley... It's possessed! Yup, Got that heebie jeebie goin' on right in there.

Spookin' Karl

Disreputable Rode Hard & Put Up Wet Old Deadbeat Geezer
"We're all here because we're not all there"
--Ken & Gene Hunt
'09 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie -- QuickSilver II
'02 LTE Silver -- Retired
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
2009 Subaru WRX, Stage 1 269 whp, 293 ftlb - INTERCEPTOR
2003 Ford Focus, 220 hp @ wheels 180 ftlb torque @ wheels - Traded
Northern Colorado
post #9 of 39 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 11:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen

I hope they don't try to blame it on something you've done...

You mean - like - ride it?
post #10 of 39 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 11:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Glad it happened now...another 3k and you woulda' been in for a steep repair bill.

UK is two year unlimited meilage warranty - that's why I buy new.

Bike will be on year at 27 March
post #11 of 39 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 7:59 pm

Be sure and remove all "non-BMW" approved electrical and mechanical farkles....better chance of collecting warranty.

"“People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."
Alexei Sayle

'09 R1200RT
post #12 of 39 Old Jan 14th, 2009, 1:30 pm Thread Starter

Here's the update so far:
Cam chain tensioner has managed to fail catastrophically, and allowed the cam chain to jump a tooth.

This appears to have resulted ina number of pistons (probably a round number, say, 4) meeting a number of valves (probably a round number, say 16).

This should be confirmed when the hear comes off tomorrow.

That would look like 4 pistons, barrels, valves, head, possibly conrods, and all asscoiated bearings, or maybe a short engine.

Good news - clutch after 34,500 miles was looking very good.

I did ask if they might only have 1300 engines as 1200 ceased production back in June/July, but it seems there are still some lying around, or they would make one.

As for the computer/electrics, it looks like the generator has failed in some way as well, and maybe spiked the ecu - so fixing the obvious broken, then flashing the computer seems the way forward, but its all down to BMW. The bike hasn't managed to get to one year from the factory let alone one year to me.

At least with a cold snap coming and more snow/ice threatened, I won't mind being foced to use the hire car that is the replacement from BMW assist for the bike
post #13 of 39 Old Jan 14th, 2009, 1:44 pm
fas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall
Cam chain tensioner has managed to fail catastrophically, and allowed the cam chain to jump a tooth.

This appears to have resulted ina number of pistons (probably a round number, say, 4) meeting a number of valves (probably a round number, say 16).

That would look like 4 pistons, barrels, valves, head, possibly conrods, and all asscoiated bearings, or maybe a short engine.

I did ask if they might only have 1300 engines as 1200 ceased production back in June/July, but it seems there are still some lying around, or they would make one.

As for the computer/electrics, it looks like the generator has failed in some way as well, and maybe spiked the ecu - so fixing the obvious broken, then flashing the computer seems the way forward, but its all down to BMW. The bike hasn't managed to get to one year from the factory let alone one year to me.

At least with a cold snap coming and more snow/ice threatened, I won't mind being foced to use the hire car that is the replacement from BMW assist for the bike
Thanks very much for sharing this situation with us. Please keep us informed. I am planning to acquire the new 1300.....I do miss my GT.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #14 of 39 Old Jan 14th, 2009, 5:38 pm

Garage

Niall, did your GT have the new type cam chain tensioner?

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92
post #15 of 39 Old Jan 15th, 2009, 8:12 am

Quote:

LOL! It could be a piston or two, "probably a round number, say, 4"..... Good one!
Damn though, that sucks. That's a really nasty failure to have on such a new bike, you'd think there would be a safeguard built in to prevent that.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #16 of 39 Old Jan 15th, 2009, 9:19 am

My post from the 12th:

"I bet it's either the sprocket behind the clutch basket, or the cam chain tensioner."

Man, sorry I almost nailed that one.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #17 of 39 Old Jan 15th, 2009, 2:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ®win
Niall, did your GT have the new type cam chain tensioner?

Built week commencing 11th Feb 2008, so yes, very much so.

What is confusing is the very sudden, no warning failure.
post #18 of 39 Old Jan 15th, 2009, 2:07 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1
That's a really nasty failure to have on such a new bike, you'd think there would be a safeguard built in to prevent that.
There is - don't stop!

Quote from the dealer, now the head is off:
"the valves kissed the pistons"

Its in the hands of BMW now on whether it'll be a fix, or a short engine. Common sense would suggest the short engine for a cheaper solution, but I'm not aware of the decision as I write.

Quite what's happened to the computer and the alternator are also puzzling - because the battery was flat when the bike got in, which suggests there was an circuit leak, despite me pulling fuses out of the centech.

Can't see how monitoring the accessory socket would flatten the battery - what else does/could the computer switch on without the iginition on?
post #19 of 39 Old Jan 15th, 2009, 2:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots

Ah - nails, don't talk to me about that.

My neigbour is having building works done and the builders just will not clean up after them, so nails all over the place, and I have a slow puncture in the rear tyre to boot, and my near neighbour across the road has two punctures.

Can we prove it though? No.

Oh - and if you hadn't guessed, my next door neighbour is off my christmas card list
post #20 of 39 Old Jan 15th, 2009, 2:49 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Now wouldn't it just suck if some of those nails happened to find their way into the builder's tires? Imagine the poor guys leaving work after a hard day and finding a mile or so later that all four tires had punctures . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #21 of 39 Old Jan 15th, 2009, 3:08 pm Thread Starter

Actually, after having an LT that suffered from every failure available - gear change falling off, welded starter motor relay, crown wheel bearing, gear box oil seal etc - its quite nice having so few issues.

I was more pissed off when the centre stand snapped
post #22 of 39 Old Jan 15th, 2009, 4:52 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Actually, after having an LT that suffered from every failure available - gear change falling off, welded starter motor relay, crown wheel bearing, gear box oil seal etc - its quite nice having so few issues.
Yeah, what's a short block now and again compared to how much fun this bike is to ride.

Might want to have them check that center stand again while they're poking around. Mine has already failed twice . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #23 of 39 Old Jan 20th, 2009, 1:39 pm Thread Starter

OK - brief update - £5,000 of parts on order, including a short engine.

I should have a break down tomorrow.

Parts are coming from Germany - no surprise there then!
post #24 of 39 Old Jan 20th, 2009, 2:52 pm
fas

Talking Re: Very VERY sick GT

Quote:
OK - brief update - £5,000 of parts on order, including a short engine.

I should have a break down tomorrow.

Parts are coming from Germany - no surprise there then!
FYI, some of the new smaller BMW m/c engines are built in ASIA!

World keeps shrinking....

Rob Nelson

Grey Goose
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #25 of 39 Old Jan 20th, 2009, 5:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
FYI, some of the new smaller BMW m/c engines are built in ASIA!

World keeps shrinking....

Did you know - most japanese bikes are built there too!

Shocking, isn't it...
post #26 of 39 Old Jan 20th, 2009, 6:02 pm
fas

Quote:
Did you know - most japanese bikes are built there too!

Shocking, isn't it...

BMW small engines are Taiwan....not Japan....

Rob Nelson

Grey Goose
Toscana Temptress

post #27 of 39 Old Jan 21st, 2009, 6:25 am Thread Starter

So:
Short engine
All valves
Exhaust cam
Cam chain and all ancilliary parts
Generator and parts
Clutch housing (?)

Seems for whatever reason, the generator "paddle" (?) was breaking down and finally died. Why the cam chain died - who knows. It shows no resemblance to the older cam chain issues, especially as those were oil draining over night - and this was a fuel stop.

It would look like the generator has been failing over a length of time - I've been complaining about the erratic charging since day 1, and my Kissan monitor showed I'd switch from 20+ amps to 1 or 2 for no apparent reason.

The ECU/Computer shows signs of just suffering from low volts in the battery, so we'll see.

Parts should arrive from Germany by mid-week, and then around 3 days to fit out - and then see if the 'puter is scrambled.

It seems the low voltgage meant the computer had the accessory socket and Navigator circuits live, and that seems to have killed off the battery overnight.

I'll end up with a 0 miles engine, not needing the 36K service, but an oil/filter after 600 miles and then back to normal 6k servicing. That means its 18,000 miles before I have to do a valve check, so that'll save me some money.

The clutch itself is in very good condition with little signs of wear so I'm told, so I'm hoping for some longevity there especially as I same 82,000 on the LT before it started to fail.

Now - failure of the cam chain - nothing apparent. Techie will do some more investigations at BMW's behest before it goes back

Niall
post #28 of 39 Old Jan 21st, 2009, 6:41 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
My post from the 12th:

"I bet it's either the sprocket behind the clutch basket, or the cam chain tensioner."

both!
post #29 of 39 Old Mar 13th, 2009, 11:27 pm Thread Starter

Remember my sick GT? Well it still don't have it back yet - because of dealer screw-ups.

BMW GB are involved and have been for some time now as there were TWO K12's at my dealer waiting to be repaired, because the dealer hadn't ordered the parts.

The other one, a K12R Sport, was completed just over a week ago having taken just over three and a half months, and mine is now waiting for MORE parts from Germany.

Here's the email from the dealer:
"Hi Niall I have spoke to Howard today so he is up to speed with the situation on your K1200GT

The situation at the moment is that the bike is running however we have a concern about the generator due to the nature of the failure and when running the bike to operating temp the generator seems to "kick"

So we have decided to renew the drive on the motor side, Evan though when we inspected it, it looked in good order, this should climate the problem."

Howard is a tech at BMW GB who I have known for years (over 10) and I flagged with him that the bike was still there at the beginning of the week.

I'm not sure how you climate a problem though...

As they KNEW all the issues from the start, my patience is now wearing thin
post #30 of 39 Old Mar 14th, 2009, 6:34 am

Garage

I assume they're going to add 3 or 4 month to your warranty to recoup what you've lost while it's in the dealers?

Name and shame, who is it? Vines? Bahnstormer?

--
Steve Parry
Current fleet is
14 BMW R1200RT LE
07 BMW K1200GT SE
03 BMW R1100S BoxerCup
14 BMW F800GS
87 BMW R80RS
... oh and the 330Ci for suit days
post #31 of 39 Old Mar 14th, 2009, 7:20 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slparry
I assume they're going to add 3 or 4 month to your warranty to recoup what you've lost while it's in the dealers?

No - they won't add time on, but that's a good one - I'll put it to BMW

As for naming and shaming - not until I get the bike back!
post #32 of 39 Old Mar 14th, 2009, 10:56 am

Wink Re: Very VERY sick GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
BMW small engines are Taiwan....not Japan....

Taiwan is no longer in Asia?

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #33 of 39 Old Mar 14th, 2009, 2:33 pm

Can anyone list the build date, or vin number associated with the new cam chain tensioner, and sprocket?
post #34 of 39 Old Mar 14th, 2009, 8:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsquad
Can anyone list the build date, or vin number associated with the new cam chain tensioner, and sprocket?
To my knowledge, its 08 build year onwards, which was around Sept 07.

The build year, as I'm sure you know, is Sept to Jul, with a break in August
post #35 of 39 Old Mar 14th, 2009, 8:44 pm

Quote:
56,000 miles on my FJR and one of the little push-pin connectors on the dash failed. Damn thing is going to nickle and dime (ok, $1.50) me to death........) On the otherhand, my '05 LT has been pretty good. 54,000 miles and two warranty issues: rear shaft seal, rear brake rotor replaced due to too much float. Now it is going off to a new home in Buffalo, NY.

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
post #36 of 39 Old Mar 15th, 2009, 5:20 pm

Thanks Niall, back to your problem, just curious did you ever consider, or discuss with your dealer a new bike? After all when a cowboys horse was hurt that bad he shot it so it would not suffer. Maybe it's time for a new horse.
post #37 of 39 Old Mar 15th, 2009, 6:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsquad
Thanks Niall, back to your problem, just curious did you ever consider, or discuss with your dealer a new bike? After all when a cowboys horse was hurt that bad he shot it so it would not suffer. Maybe it's time for a new horse.

BMW won't go for that - and the dealer would prevaricate and here in the UK, its no where as easy as you for getting new.

BMW were very good - authorising the engine. Its the dealer that's screwed up, and now is having BMW GB shouting at them.

If I receive no nice words on Monday, Tuesday is emails to Motorcycle manager of BMW GB, and BMW finance.

This will motivaye them rather more considerably, as I'm the second customer to have BMW GB shout at them in as many weeks
post #38 of 39 Old Mar 17th, 2009, 3:44 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slparry

My bike came back today!

But with an empty tank.

South London Motorcycles will be filling my bike up on Saturday when I drop in. After all, I'd only ridden 400 yards on a brimmed tank.

So now you know, it was SLM that screwed up the parts ordering, who screwed around two customers with K's and as I was visitng there every 6 weeks, they have well and truly upset their best "service" customer.
post #39 of 39 Old Mar 18th, 2009, 5:05 am

Garage

Quote:
My bike came back today!

But with an empty tank.

South London Motorcycles will be filling my bike up on Saturday when I drop in. After all, I'd only ridden 400 yards on a brimmed tank.

So now you know, it was SLM that screwed up the parts ordering, who screwed around two customers with K's and as I was visitng there every 6 weeks, they have well and truly upset their best "service" customer.
Glad to hear you have the K back, just in time for the nice weather SLM .. one to avoid

My dealer is Williams Manchester and I've no complaints with their customer service levels so far as they've been very helpful

--
Steve Parry
Current fleet is
14 BMW R1200RT LE
07 BMW K1200GT SE
03 BMW R1100S BoxerCup
14 BMW F800GS
87 BMW R80RS
... oh and the 330Ci for suit days

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in