tire advice needed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jan 10th, 2009, 4:53 am Thread Starter

tire advice needed

I am getting ready to order tires for my 07 GT. I have tried most tires available for the bike except the dunlop roadsmarts. Currently I am running the pilot road 2's The rear PR2 rear costs 213 bucks at SW Moto and the roadsmart goes for 140 bucks. I plan on buying a couple sets for the upcoming season. So, 73 bucks more per tire adds up. Are the PR2's worth the price over the Roadsmarts? Is there another tire to consider? Thanks

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jan 10th, 2009, 8:43 am

Re: tire advice needed

I love the PR2's and have a set of Road Smarts awaiting the gearage. From what I've read, I'd stick to those two. The Road Smarts are cheaper.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Jan 10th, 2009, 12:46 pm

Garage

Brian,
I am going through the same decisions at the moment, but I don't see where SW Moto's price is $213.
It looks like $166 to me or are you looking at something else. Sw Moto PR2

-Brian Louw
Arroyo Grande, CA.

2013 K1600GT - Light Grey Metallic
2016 R1200GSA

post #4 of 15 Old Jan 10th, 2009, 1:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blouw
Brian,
I am going through the same decisions at the moment, but I don't see where SW Moto's price is $213.
It looks like $166 to me or are you looking at something else. Sw Moto PR2
Grif,
I guess I'm on the right track if I am thinking like you.
Brian, The GT neds a "B" rated tire like this http://arizonamoto.com/Merchant2/mer..._Code=Closeout

Brian Ley
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
BMWOA 119892
post #5 of 15 Old Jan 10th, 2009, 2:11 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
Grif,
I guess I'm on the right track if I am thinking like you.
Brian, The GT neds a "B" rated tire like this http://arizonamoto.com/Merchant2/mer..._Code=Closeout
Ok, thanks, so I wonder why it is on closeout.

Does the Roadsmart have a 'B' equivalent?

-Brian Louw
Arroyo Grande, CA.

2016 R1200GSA
post #6 of 15 Old Jan 10th, 2009, 8:32 pm Thread Starter

Brian,
Each tire manufacturer has their own specs for tires and which bikes they fit. Michelin has the "B" for our GT's load rating, and continental road attacks have to have a "C" after the size. Bt020's have another letter and so on. I went to Dunlops website and they do not list any special letter for the GT. But according to them their tire is okay for our bike. I do not believe they have earned the right to claim the roadsmart as a OEM replacement though. I am not sure what is involved with that though. Probably testing and approval from BMW and some cash.... I was shipped a set of the PR2's and I seem to have some very bad handling characteristics when the tires warm up after a few hours riding. (weaving and not tracking right at all, Plus highly unstable above 80mph or so) I stop for a half hour or so and the bike rides normal for awhile again. I then checked my tires and they are not the B rated PR2's. Its entirely possible its the bike and not the tires, I will change tires to make sure. Prooving to BMW that my bike has a problem that only shows up after a few hours riding in hot weather is about impossible.

Brian Ley
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
BMWOA 119892
post #7 of 15 Old Jan 10th, 2009, 11:29 pm

I'm a big fan of the PR2s; I'm on my second set. If my bike would ever get out of the shop I would go wear them out!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #8 of 15 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 2:51 pm

Garage

Yeah, there are so many factors involved with tires including type of riding. I sent Michelin an email asking them what the difference is with the 'B' rated tire and what they recommend. I'll post it when/if I get a reply. Their tire fitment guide on their web site and the pdf file you can download doesn't include our bike.
The guys I ride with here in Fresno ride mainly RT's and they don't seem to get more than 3000 miles out of the Roadsmarts. I don't ride that aggressively, so should get more, but I think you are right about OEM replacement approval from BMW. BMW of Fresno have a special on both the Roadsmarts and PR2's - need to find out this week whether it is the 'B' rated.

Grif, did you get the 'B' rated?

There is a smell of burning rubber, maybe this thread belongs in the tire section?

-Brian Louw
Arroyo Grande, CA.

2016 R1200GSA
post #9 of 15 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 7:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blouw
The guys I ride with here in Fresno ride mainly RT's and they don't seem to get more than 3000 miles out of the Roadsmarts.
I have the Roadsmarts on my K1200S and currently have over 6000 miles on them and they look like they'll last another 3000. I do a lot of commuting along with several 1000+ mile weekends, and I do not ride slowly, so I don't know how those guys on the RT's are using them up so fast. I'm going to buy them again when I need new tires I like them that much.

Fred Jewell
No longer president, River City Beemers
2009 R1200RT - Silver

BMWMOA #123779
BMWRA #38714
IBA #24559

"Shadowboxing the apocalypse, wandering the land"
post #10 of 15 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 7:18 pm
Bouncer

I went with the Dunlop Road Smarts this last time.

I'm at 4500 miles, and they still look new. And they stick just as well as the Bridgestones. And grif will tell you that I have a pretty aggressive riding style.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #11 of 15 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 9:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
And grif will tell you that I have a pretty aggressive riding style.
Yeah, but you let a girl beat you.

Uh, never mind. She beat me, too.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #12 of 15 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 9:59 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I guess I get to be the contrary one, again.

Here are my Roadsmart's after 3,288 miles:

Those are my second set. The first rear developed a puncture at 1,300 miles, so I didn't get to ride it out. That front was changed out at 2,300 miles. It still had some life left, but I was heading out on a 10K-in-2-weeks trip and didn't want to mess with tires so I changed them for ME880's. The ME880's sucked, by the way, but I did get 12,700 miles out of them so they served their purpose.

The Roadsmarts have dual-compound technology like the PR2's, which is the latest in tire technology. However, like the PR2's, the front didn't wear evenly between the harder center section and the softer sides. That gave a noticeable flat spot/cutoff transition that you could feel when falling into corners. I'd thought it was just that I do a lot of freeway miles, but this last set was run 1,000 miles on the twistiest roads in SoCal with minimal freeway time. All that did was wear the sides out well past the wear bars, but I still had that horrible transition into corners. The PR2's gave the same life as other tires I've tried, but the Roadsmarts gave less than half that. And both of those started to go off well before they were worn through. So neither of those was cost effective for me.

I've had the best luck with the Avon Storms. They stick like glue wet or dry and feel good all the way to the end of their life. If I absolutely had to have the mileage I'd go with a Storm front and ME880 Radial rear, otherwise it'll be Storms front and back for me.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #13 of 15 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 12:01 am Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone but Ken for the info and advice. Ken, You are an hour late. I just ordered two rear and one front roadsmarts. So, When I burn thru my PR2's and my last set of BT020's I will tell you how I like the roadsmarts. All I need now is for the snow,ice, and flooding to go away. P.S. Ken, Those tires look like crap.

Brian Ley
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
BMWOA 119892
post #14 of 15 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 12:42 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
P.S. Ken, Those tires look like crap.
Yeah, but it was fun.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #15 of 15 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 9:05 pm

Go figure all I got was 3500 miles out of Avon Storms and am doing great with Roadsmarts.

Maybe it's who mixed up the batch of rubber that day that makes the diff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in