'09 1300......yuch - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jan 5th, 2009, 1:22 pm Thread Starter

'09 1300......yuch

This is a late report but the Motorcycle show passed through my area before Christmas and I checked out the new GT.

Not a fan of the side deco stuff on the side slab.
But what really is ugly is the handle bars and switches. Dang how much cheap asss can they get. My 06 has a major area for the switches which looks like it was thought of as a cockpit. The new switches are just....there and I'll agree that some switches didn't need to be so big on mine but this is just cheap looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jan 5th, 2009, 6:29 pm

Re: '09 1300......yuch

They sure seem to be a step down in my opinion. The master cylinder is ugly too...just sticks up there like a broken toe or something. AND...I'll say it again, I think the vent in the side does NOT match the lines of the fairing at all. Looks exactly like it is.... an afterthought.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 8 Old Jan 5th, 2009, 9:36 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I don't know why folks are getting all bothered about the new controls. They're not much different than on the GS bikes, or the new 800 series. The older units are a nicer machined part, but a lot more expensive to produce and they take up a lot more room. This new style will show up on everything BMW produces in the next year or so.

As for the fairing vent, I agree that it looks stuck on as an afterthought. But BMW has a habit of making noticeable cosmetic changes on "new" models that are really just minor tweaks to existing models. They did the same thing to the LT in '05. It gives folks something obvious that says "I have the latest and greatest bike, and you have an old, obsolete one."

If I was going for a K13GT, I'd probably swap over my '07 Dark Grey panels onto it. No need to stand out unnecessarily with a bright red/orange bike.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 8 Old Jan 5th, 2009, 9:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
I don't know why folks are getting all bothered about the new controls.

One word...CHANGE....

It do come hard, don't it....

But, in all honesty I do think the older switches looked a bit more "durable" or "quality made" than the new ones. I would have to use them to tell, but that's my take.

When I first started riding a BMW I remember thinking, "Wow, the switches look beefier and better made than the Jap stuff I been working on for years."

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 8 Old Jan 5th, 2009, 10:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
When I first started riding a BMW I remember thinking, "Wow, the switches look beefier and better made than the Jap stuff I been working on for years."
I agree, Jack. Fit & Finish was also a major factor when I chose BMW LT over Honda Wing.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #6 of 8 Old Jan 6th, 2009, 4:49 am

I remember when over 30 years ago, BMWs were a good 50% more expensive than other bikes of similar power and usage. OK, they were "exclusive" but they still sold well to people who needed and wanted a well built and durable bike, and were prepared to pay over the odds for one.

I suppose BMW have figured out, rightly or wrongly, that this marketing policy would not survive in the 21st century.

Time will tell and show if BMWs are BMWs or just another bike with a bit more technology thrown in.
post #7 of 8 Old Jan 6th, 2009, 5:23 am
win

Garage

Quote:
... the older switches looked a bit more "durable" or "quality made" than the new ones.
It's just the looks of quality. There are enough cases to be found of problems due to corrosion in the 'old' controls (start problems, left blinkers that stay on, etc.). IMO the new controls are of the same quality, if not better (my impression that I got during my visit to the Intermot).

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92
post #8 of 8 Old Jan 6th, 2009, 11:41 am Thread Starter

Quote:
One word...CHANGE....

It do come hard, don't it....

But, in all honesty I do think the older switches looked a bit more "durable" or "quality made" than the new ones. I would have to use them to tell, but that's my take.

Better said than I did...for sure.
I didn't like the bare handle bar staring at me and the small switch gear no matter how much better the logic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in