Any Regrets? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old Dec 27th, 2008, 7:58 am Thread Starter

Any Regrets?

I was at the INDY BMW dealer the other day, and they have a Graphite GT there that was a demo (08) with roughly 2500 miles, and with discounts and rebates, they want $15500 for it. I also understand there is .09% financing on it. I am seriously thinking about it. I wouldn't trade my LT though. Any regrets from anyone here who has bought one? I sort of get the feeling there are some service and repair issues with the GT. Just wanting some imput.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old Dec 27th, 2008, 8:05 am

Re: Any Regrets?

I brought my '06 used and have no regrets whatsoever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 39 Old Dec 27th, 2008, 9:14 am

No regrets here. The 07's and early 08's needed an airbox swap and EWS ring done under warranty.

The bike is really cheap to do major services, about $400 with the valves checked (18k intervals). High mileage GT's, about 75k, have never needed an actual valve adjustment. I do everything else: oil changes, air filter and tires. It's a dream to tear down, I can have it stripped, including the gas tank, in about 15 minutes.

Just like the LT, some GT's have gotten rear ends.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok

post #4 of 39 Old Dec 27th, 2008, 10:09 am

No regrets at all here. I absolutely love the bike and would trust it right now to go anywhere I need to go. It's VERY fast, very comfortable (with a new seat -- like almost all beemers), has all the important features I want (cruise, heated seats, grips, ESA - LOVE IT!!, ABS, etc, etc, etc.) Best bike I've ever owned AND it has that KEWL badge on it!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 39 Old Dec 27th, 2008, 10:21 am
Super Moderator

My only regret is not getting one sooner.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #6 of 39 Old Dec 27th, 2008, 10:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
My only regret is not getting one sooner.

THAT'S A FACT!!!!!!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 39 Old Dec 27th, 2008, 10:26 am

No regrets, but the GT is a different bike from the LT. The wife will attest to the LT being more comfortable for the long haul with a better seat, backrest and wind protection. I love riding a sportier bike. With a bigger windshield and a custom seat I may approach comfort, but I don't really care after I crack the throttle and enjoy the electric like power and handling.

Laurence Hendrick

2008 K1200GT, Dark Graphite (Oh my, so fast!)
2005 LT Ocean Blue (Sold and comfort will be missed, but not the weight)
post #8 of 39 Old Dec 27th, 2008, 11:15 am

Only that BMW did not make it earlier and I only got to ride it 18K miles in 14 months.

Jim
MSF Rider Coach

Haverhill, MA
66 R50/2
92 R100R
07 Silver KGT
post #9 of 39 Old Dec 27th, 2008, 1:53 pm

A little regret here. I parted company with mine recently. Lot's of great choices out there for a second bike if you are keeping the LT.
post #10 of 39 Old Dec 27th, 2008, 6:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
... The bike is really cheap to do major services, about $400 with the valves checked (18k intervals)...
A clarification, please: $400 is what the dealer charges for the an 18k service, or that is your cost for fluids, etc., and doing the work yourself?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #11 of 39 Old Dec 27th, 2008, 9:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
A clarification, please: $400 is what the dealer charges for the an 18k service, or that is your cost for fluids, etc., and doing the work yourself?
What the dealer charges.

You made me look and here's the breakdown:

18k service $50.25
Valve check $108.00
Spark plug replacement $7.50
Air filter $21.75 (I had them put one in since they had it tore down for the airbox)

With parts it totaled $278.55. This was for a major service! I could have saved on the air filter if I'd done it myself.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #12 of 39 Old Dec 27th, 2008, 9:41 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I'm the 75K guy. And those of you who know me, know what's coming next.

Love the bike, love the power, handling, comfort, technology, etc. I can ride thousand-mile days in complete comfort, and still keep up with the "sport" bikes on the twisty bits. I've ridden from below 30 degrees to well over 100. Sunny days, rain, fog, sleet, interstates, twisty mountain roads, city commutes, and the bike just keeps on humming along.

As Grif said, no valve adjustments needed yet, and it is much easier to work on than an LT. Plus losing 200 lbs and gaining 50 HP is a good thing.

But over the last 20 months, my GT has had a broken center stand (25K), airbox, software upgrade, throttle cables, and clutch (36K), ignition coil, EWS antenna, cam chain tensioner, and another center stand (53K), final drive (63K), tire sensors, another clutch, and oil pump (65K), front wheel bearings, and another final drive (73K). And that doesn't include normal maintenance, tires, brake pads, oil changes, and fuel. Granted much of that has been warranty repairs but still, it does seem a bit excessive.

When the bike is performing as it should, it's awesome. But I've been stuck on the side of the road waiting on a tow truck so many times that I actually carry soft ties and ratchet straps on the bike at all times. So much for BMW's legendary reliability.

I realize that I'm an extreme case, both in terms of miles ridden, and problems encountered. But the bottom line is that I just don't trust the bike anymore. And for someone who doesn't own a car, that's very bad.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #13 of 39 Old Dec 27th, 2008, 9:43 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Spark plug replacement $7.50
Did they just replace one spark plug?

My records show 4 spark plugs at $14.96 each. Now, they only charged a tenth labor ($9.60) because the panels and cylinder head cover were already removed for the valve check, but still.

Next time I need a major service, I'm riding to Texas. If I keep the bike that long . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #14 of 39 Old Dec 27th, 2008, 10:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Did they just replace one spark plug?

My records show 4 spark plugs at $14.96 each. Now, they only charged a tenth labor ($9.60) because the panels and cylinder head cover were already removed for the valve check, but still.

Next time I need a major service, I'm riding to Texas. If I keep the bike that long . . .
The $7.50 was labour, silly boyo.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #15 of 39 Old Dec 28th, 2008, 10:26 am

$7.50 Labor? Griff spare me a bed! I've just paid out the best part of $110 per hour labor here in the bankrupt UK! Oil? $15 a litre! And we wonder why our economy has gone tits up! Still A Happy New Year to you all!
post #16 of 39 Old Dec 28th, 2008, 10:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldog
$7.50 Labor? Griff spare me a bed! I've just paid out the best part of $110 per hour labor here in the bankrupt UK! Oil? $15 a litre! And we wonder why our economy has gone tits up! Still A Happy New Year to you all!
You have to realize the $7.50 was for installing spark plugs. It makes me wanna go, 'geeeeeeeeezzzzzz', when you stop and think about it. Something so simple to do. But..... first you got to get to them.

Happy New Year to y'all!

-=grif=-

Grok
post #17 of 39 Old Dec 30th, 2008, 11:43 am

I have had my GT for 6 months. I was scared to buy it originally because I am tall and was worried about the ergonomics. However with lower pegs, barbacks a Russel Seat and a higher windshield it has been transformed into an absolutely fabulous second bike.
post #18 of 39 Old Dec 30th, 2008, 1:46 pm
Bouncer

No regrets.

The GT is 10 times the bike the LT was.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #19 of 39 Old Dec 31st, 2008, 12:17 pm
fas

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
No regrets.

+1

GT was also much lower cost per mile net based on eBay resale prices and all in costs.

Subjectively, I think the GT is also safer due to superior offense (avoid clueless, lane drifting, cell phone cagers) and low speed handling with lower cg and much better power to weight.

I may go to the new GT in spring. I miss mine. Or maybe a new.......

It never ends for me....the lust of new tech toys.....character flaw.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #20 of 39 Old Dec 31st, 2008, 1:18 pm

Indy also has a BMW master tech / diagnostician , Phil , in service.
post #21 of 39 Old Jan 1st, 2009, 11:15 am

Quote:
But over the last 20 months, my GT has had a broken center stand (25K), airbox, software upgrade, throttle cables, and clutch (36K), ignition coil, EWS antenna, cam chain tensioner, and another center stand (53K), final drive (63K), tire sensors, another clutch, and oil pump (65K), front wheel bearings, and another final drive (73K).
My centre stand went at 18,000, and I'm at 33,200 at the moment.

From your mileages, it seems stands are 25 to 30k.

I'm not using centre stand at the moment because of an overflow problem when it tanks, so I suspect it'll be around the 55 to 60 mark before I lose a stand again.

Final drives - did they replace the whole drive or just the bearing? I was told by one service manager that he prefered to replace whole units than the bearing because invariably they would fail - which was case in point with my LT that lost TWO cronw wheel bearings 4,000 miles apart.

36k seems early for a clutch - did they say "premature wear" or oil leak? My 05 LT was still on its original when I sold it with 82k.

Can chain tensioners - well the LT gets replaced at 36k now, but would tend to "racket" as you know around the 50k mark, so is this odd on a slant engine - because I don't recall it in the service schedule.

The only problems I've had that have warranted road side assist are flat tyres. Having said that, the loan bikes I've had haven't done too well - cracked a piston on an R12RT and some bright spark borrwed a 12RT and used a "get me home" puncture kit without bothering to tell the dealer.

I spotted the plug coming out when I'd got to work, after some 120 miles at high speeds. It would have deflated very quickly. At least the dealer gave me a free service because of it, but BMW Assist (Mondial in the UK) gave me a right hard time over it. They wanted to take me to a local dealer who wanted to replace both tyres - so I said "Who pays?". Eventually, I got recovered to my dealer, but it was a struggle.
post #22 of 39 Old Jan 1st, 2009, 11:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
No regrets.

In all fairness to you and the OP. Opinions vary, and what I highly reccomend to him is a lengthy test ride before he buys anything.

Pose this question in the LT section and your lible to get a completely different answer.

I've come to recognize now that asking forum members "which bike?" rarely bares any menaingful fruit.
post #23 of 39 Old Jan 1st, 2009, 4:43 pm
fas

Talking Re: Any Regrets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng943
In all fairness to you and the OP. Opinions vary, and what I highly reccomend to him is a lengthy test ride before he buys anything.

Pose this question in the LT section and your lible to get a completely different answer.

I've come to recognize now that asking forum members "which bike?" rarely bares any menaingful fruit.
I do not agree. Perhaps with more insight about the membership you will gain a different POV. Many members have owned several bikes and they bring a good combination of reality and lack of bias.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #24 of 39 Old Jan 1st, 2009, 5:21 pm

Quote:
Not so sure.

Ask an LT owner if they'd like 152bhp and see what the say.

I bought my GT when I could get all the bits to make it comfortable, and it now has all the features my LT had:
Stereo (digital radio and iPod)
Weather protection
Rear carrier on the top case
HID lights and spots

I added bar backs, footpeg lowering, higher screen, Aeroflow aerogards, sargeant seat.

My GT does everything my LT copuld do just better:
Better handling
Better acceleration
Better fuel economy (if I behave myself)
Cheaper service costs

Would I go back to even a post facelift LT? No.

The GT is just so easy to ride - stuff it in 6th and go.
post #25 of 39 Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 12:34 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Hey Niall,

Regarding the stands, I'm not sure that this is a "wear" item, more likely it's just some faulty welding at a stressed junction. Riding in all weather as we do probably exacerbates those weak weld points. Hopefully, BMW has now fixed that with their excellent quality control system.

Both GT final drives were complete replacement units. I wouldn't settle for a bearing replacement knowing what I do about the drives. The unsettling part is the most recent failure was on BMW's latest-greatest-'08 final drive unit, so I doubt they really have a handle on this problem even now.

The first clutch was functional, but replaced due to the squealing/judder problem. That started resurfacing around 10K miles later. The second clutch was also quiet at first, but the noise is starting to come back . . .

The cam chain tensioner was also a noise issue. On startup and at idle (like sitting at a stop light), the oil pressure drops such that it looses tension and thus the cam chain rattles and slaps obnoxiously. The new tensioner has a built-in oil reservoir to minimize this problem.

I've also had the flat tire thing, a couple weeks after my compressor was stolen. Otherwise, it would have been an easy roadside fix.

I'm still riding the bike, and it's still awesome when everything works and I can just blend into the moment and forget for a while. But that's getting harder and harder to find.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #26 of 39 Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 12:36 am
IBR# 366

Garage

As for comfort, the LT still beats the GT for me. And especially for my wife. But the GT just does everything else so much better . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #27 of 39 Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 5:13 pm

My ownership of the GT took a few turns before I got there.

In 2005, I sold my faithful K1200RS that I absolutely loved and bought one of the first new slant-4 K1200S's. The S was a spectacular bike but it's power was so intoxicating it almost cost me my license. In a knee-jerk reaction I sold it at 2500 miles. To replace it, I looked at the GT but was put-off by the $21K price at the time with all the options (and yes, I had some difficulty with the styling). So I bought a pristine 2002 K1200LT I found thinking it was a more "sensible" bike anyway.

I enjoyed the LT but once you have had that slant 4 motor, the flying brick just doesn't stack up, IMO. When a used 500 mile 2007 K1200GT came up for sale locally, I grabbed it and sold the LT.

I could have saved myself alot of Colorado state tax and registration $$ if I had just sold the RS, got the GT and skipped the rest! The GT is one fantastic high-speed tourer, it's a most worthy replacement for my KRS and I plan to own it for many years to come.

Mike M

2007 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #28 of 39 Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 6:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
I do not agree. Perhaps with more insight about the membership you will gain a different POV. Many members have owned several bikes and they bring a good combination of reality and lack of bias.
Whatever works for you lad. Opinions are no substitute for the OP spending time with the bike before he buys. HIS opinion of the bike is what matters most here. That is the point I am making, which is in no way a critisism of anyone tryingto help him.

Essentially his concerns seem to be along the lines of reliability, which we all know from owning a GT has been somewhat spotty. Some bikes have had certain issues, while others built around the same time have not. Moreover, I'm sure he knows most bikes have their weak points from a reliability standpoint, and it comes down to does the buyer like the bike enough to assume the burdens of the potential issues.

To which I again say .....test ride the bike and be sure you are certain you like it enough to justify the exposure to the known potential problems, and if issues are a concern, be sure there is a warranty intact.

I'm sure he's aware of potential FD issues since he owns an LT, and he's probably aware of airbox/fuel metering issues some have had. I was aware of these as well prior to my purchase, but decided I wanted the bike in spite of these potential issues, because I know most bikes have their problems. My 07 was mostly trouble free, but other 07 owners had air box issues etc, so it becomes very convoluted. Moreover, isn't this what a warranty is for?

OP, spend some time on that GT and if it performs to your expectations and you like it, then provided it has a warranty and the dealer is solid, don't let what we say influence you too much one way or another.

Last edited by eng943; Jan 3rd, 2009 at 7:25 am.
post #29 of 39 Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 3:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall
Not so sure.

Ask an LT owner if they'd like 152bhp and see what the say.

I bought my GT when I could get all the bits to make it comfortable, and it now has all the features my LT had:
Stereo (digital radio and iPod)
Weather protection
Rear carrier on the top case
HID lights and spots

I added bar backs, footpeg lowering, higher screen, Aeroflow aerogards, sargeant seat.

My GT does everything my LT copuld do just better:
Better handling
Better acceleration
Better fuel economy (if I behave myself)
Cheaper service costs

Would I go back to even a post facelift LT? No.

The GT is just so easy to ride - stuff it in 6th and go.
I guess we should draft a letter to BMW then and ask them to stop building LT's since you've declared the GT is the better bike....for you.

There have been GT owners that have traded for LT's as well, and are happier for it. What conclusion are we to draw from that?

Moreover, he said he is keeping his LT.
post #30 of 39 Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 5:01 pm

Quote:
I guess we should draft a letter to BMW then and ask them to stop building LT's
I think they have in this configuration. I can't wait to see the new one.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #31 of 39 Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 5:34 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
I think they have in this configuration. I can't wait to see the new one.
Yeah, I can't wait to ride the new one, break down, then get towed home.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #32 of 39 Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 11:16 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, I can't wait to ride the new one, break down, then get towed home.
Next thing you know you'll want me to provide a trailer for Cambria.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #33 of 39 Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 11:22 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Nah, Cambria isn't a problem. Lots of spare parts around the parking lot there . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #34 of 39 Old Jan 6th, 2009, 6:46 pm

I traded my 07 LT for a 07 GT a year ago last November... and no regrets whatsoever. I took the GT across country last summer and absolutely enjoyed every mile of it. A fantastic bike!
post #35 of 39 Old Jan 9th, 2009, 6:06 pm

None here.

Wayne

2006 K1200GT Blue

2008 F800ST Blue (Hers)
2006 R1200RT Red (Traded)
1999 K1200LT Champaign (Sold)
1985 K100LT Baja Red (Sold and
)
post #36 of 39 Old Jan 26th, 2009, 3:38 pm

Had a 2006 LT then traded it in for a 2008 GT. Nice bike, but the bike does not flick like an RT, the throttle management and wind protection have much to be desired and it simply is not as comfortable as the LT. Went back to a 2005 LT that gets better fuel mileage, handles better--bettr feel, best wind protection, and more luggage space. All good bike but you got to ride them to see what is best.
post #37 of 39 Old Jan 26th, 2009, 3:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout70
Had a 2006 LT then traded it in for a 2008 GT. Nice bike, but the bike does not flick like an RT, the throttle management and wind protection have much to be desired and it simply is not as comfortable as the LT. Went back to a 2005 LT that gets better fuel mileage, handles better--bettr feel, best wind protection, and more luggage space. All good bike but you got to ride them to see what is best.

At the same speeds, I get the same fuel economy on the GT as the LT. If I ease off, I get better on the gt except in very heavy traffic, stop start where the LT was better.

Not flick like an RT? Tyres not at the right pressures, ESA on comfort perhaps?

LT handle better than a GT? Then your GT was not a happy bike at all! Lean further, accelerate faster, brake harder.

Wind protection - get a high screen and Aeroflow aerogards.

Comfort - bar backs, footpeg lowering, after market seat.

More luggage - you didn't have a CD changer then. And with the big box, its near enough the same luggage, give or take a litre.

Look - I have 180,000 miles on LTs and fine bikes they are, but the GT handles better, and with my mods, is just as comfortable, and has a far superior engine - stuff it in 6th and go
post #38 of 39 Old Jan 26th, 2009, 6:00 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

The first time I rode my LT again after putting several thousand miles on my GT, it felt like there was a 200-lb brick sitting down below me. Which, I suppose, is a fairly accurate description.

The LT is a great bike that handles far better than it should - for a bike of its size. But you have to add that caveat, if you want to be truthful.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #39 of 39 Old Jan 30th, 2009, 12:01 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Any Regrets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlakin
....they want $15500 for it. I also understand there is .09% financing on it. I am seriously thinking about it.....Any regrets from anyone here who has bought one?....
If I had waited another year to buy my 07 GT, I could have saved OVER $5k! Woulda, coulda, shoulda! But WTF , it's only $$ and you can't take it with you!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in