and yet ANOTHER recall - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Dec 20th, 2008, 4:56 am Thread Starter

Garage
and yet ANOTHER recall

Given it's a 100 mile round trip to the dealers, assuming the work is done while I wait. If I have to have a loaner bike and ride home it's a 200 mile day out

So this constant recall stuff is a bit tedious really ... got a letter regarding the rear torque arm having poss "locking" issues.

I REALLY hope they find all the probs before the warranty runs out

--
Steve Parry
Current fleet is
14 BMW R1200RT LE
07 BMW K1200GT SE
03 BMW R1100S BoxerCup
14 BMW F800GS
87 BMW R80RS
... oh and the 330Ci for suit days
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Dec 20th, 2008, 6:18 am

Re: and yet ANOTHER recall

In discussions on the www.k-bikes.com forum, no one in the U.S. dealers have been able to find this recall. Here's the link.

Man, the pix the guy who had it done showed the part broken and another with the bearings cratered. Nasty.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
post #3 of 9 Old Jan 4th, 2009, 10:53 am Thread Starter

Garage

thanks for that, you're right it looks a real mess. Glad I've had mine done now

It was a lovely (!) -7C (19.4F) when I left the house to ride the 60 miles to the dealers, the heated seat n grips sure paid for themselves!

The job was done quite quickly at the dealers, just sat and warmed with a couple of mugs of good hot chocolate

In fact it took me longer to wash off the salt once I got home

--
Steve Parry
Current fleet is
14 BMW R1200RT LE
07 BMW K1200GT SE
03 BMW R1100S BoxerCup
14 BMW F800GS
87 BMW R80RS
... oh and the 330Ci for suit days

post #4 of 9 Old Jan 8th, 2009, 4:18 am

I too have just had the recall installed on my bike. Weather about the same as you - snow on the way to the dealership followed by icy patches on the way home. Intesting!

I also had the 18K service done at the same time with valves checked and found to be well within spec. Only shock was the bill 278! Still - mustn't grumble.

According to my dealer (North Oxford Garages) this is only a recall in the UK and was initiated by the MD of NOG by placing pressure on BMW in Bracknell after his dealership had two customer failures within a very short space of time and both could have been VERY serious as the whole rear suspension collapsed on the riders. Luckily they were both riding in a straight line when it occurred and not aggressively attacking a bend!

I wonder what the rest of the "world" is doing about this?
post #5 of 9 Old Jan 8th, 2009, 9:27 am

Anyone know if this is a RECALL in the US?

My dealer always rolls his eyes when I know something I read on BMW forums....like "damn they know more than me or why do they believe the internet"
post #6 of 9 Old Jan 8th, 2009, 10:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwgt
Anyone know if this is a RECALL in the US?

My dealer always rolls his eyes when I know something I read on BMW forums....like "damn they know more than me or why do they believe the internet"
No. Only the U.K.

According to BMW North America (BMWNA), as long as you keep your bike out of the U.K., the failure won't happen.

(Okay, okay, I just made that up...)
post #7 of 9 Old Jan 8th, 2009, 11:55 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMKrider
I wonder what the rest of the "world" is doing about this?
Don't ask, don't tell.

I wonder what the root cause is? If it's a problem with the overall strength of the link, I expect we'd be seeing more failures. If it has something to do with winter salt corroding the bearings and stressing the link, then maybe it's worse for guys who ride year-round. Either way, we should be seeing cases occur in other countries.

I think I'll pop out to the garage and look under the bike . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 9 Old Jan 8th, 2009, 5:09 pm

Since its only happening in the UK maybe its because they ride on the wrong side of the road and that part wasn't designed (to precision by German right side of the road driving) take such non-sense riding.
post #9 of 9 Old Jan 17th, 2009, 3:38 am

Oh we should have let them walk in in 1940 and then we would not have the problem now! We could copy the French

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in