Cockpit Planning Questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Dec 7th, 2008, 3:05 pm Thread Starter

Cockpit Planning Questions

I'm an old member of this forum & its sister site (K-Bikes.com) and after years of reading about the GT I finally took delivery of my own last month. Due to spending so much time on both sites I'm fairly up to speed with the various idiosyncrasies of the bike (Canbus system, final drive failures, rear brake sensor wire, air box & BBS, etc).

Am slowly moving toward farkling my 2008 GT and have some questions about cockpit layout and how various electronic items literally work together.

As the foundation of my wiring I've decided to use the Fuzeblock fuse panel instead of the new Centech AP-2. Seems to be a more versatile product as I won't need to install a relay for the equipment I want to run switched power to.

Here's a list of electronics I'll be using:

o Valentine 1 (really need this immediately)
o Zumo 550 GPS with music loaded on SD card
o Heat Troller liner, pants, and possibly gloves
o MotoLights

My biggest question is exactly how all the various audio devices work in concert. Beginning with the Valentine 1, how do you hear the warning beeps or are most just relying on the visual blinking of the red arrow. I can't imagine the external speaker can be heard at speed, so assume folks are either sending the audio to their helmet or using an inside helmet visual alert like the H.A.R.D. system (http://piratesk12site.net/HARD.htm).

To tie all the audio devices together suppose I'll need to purchase an AutoCom or something similar? How does this unit work and are there better ones available? Is there a way to install things such that my Valentine 1 would receive top priority and mute any GPS, music, or telephone conversation (not that I ever talk on the phone while riding)? An additional constraint is my desire to use a set of ear monitors that I had made. Can't stand Ipod type earbuds or in-helmet speakers such as what the Chatterbox product uses.

My goal here is to have a clean and well thought out cockpit that's high on functionality and low on distractions. As a fairly new rider my main focus is on the road ahead and not the farkles.

Appreciate any tips you can provide. I almost enjoy studying up on my options more so than purchasing the product once the final decision has been made.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Dec 7th, 2008, 4:58 pm

Re: Cockpit Planning Questions

The new Autocomm system is awesome. They even have a way to Bluetooth with your phone and the Zumo. You can put your priorities how you want them by the way you plug in your devices. They also have a way to plug in your earphones. I made purdy good friends with them at CCR/Braselton. Their tech support is really helpful.

Give them a shout: http://www.topgearaccess.com/autocom/

As far as having the Valentine beeping in my ears: I just couldn't stand it and if started beeping right in the middle of a Stevie Ray smoking riff it would downright torque my butt hairs. So, I went with a Radar Screamer. Of course, you could go with Aaron's H.A.R.D. System which is an LED in your periph. I don't run that way simply because there's a battery involved.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Dec 7th, 2008, 4:58 pm
Super Moderator

You will need an Autocom or other similar device to get all the sounds into your helmet. The Autocom has prioritized channels and cabling for everything you want to install so it can be prioritized apporpriately and shielded so you don't get engine whine into the headset. I have a Zumo 550 and a V1 running through an Autocom Pro AVI unit on my GT and have had no problems other than I 'm not a big fan of the stock helmet speakers. I ride with earplugs and in that scenario (for me) they aren't loud enough, and I had to have everything (autocom, Zumo, etc.) cranked to 100% to get the volume levels I want. If you don't ride with earplugs then it's not an issue. I solved my problem by getting a set of Big Ear molded earphones that double as 32-40db earplugs. Noise protection and all the music, voice prompts and radar warning I could want! Sounds like you're taking a similar approach so I foresee no issues with you pursuing this path.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #4 of 6 Old Dec 7th, 2008, 10:58 pm

http://www.tesseractcorp.com/
post #5 of 6 Old Dec 8th, 2008, 6:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectSwitch
Looks good. Do you have one and care to do a write up about if for the HoW on K-bikes?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #6 of 6 Old Dec 8th, 2008, 3:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Looks good. Do you have one and care to do a write up about if for the HoW on K-bikes?
Negatory...do not own one. But for the single rider, this audio mixer seems like a bettery choice over an intercom system where the intercom aspect isn't needed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in