Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Anaheim, CA, USA
Re: Am I the only one who hates the top box?
I love and hate the 49 liter top case, but couldn't live without it. For my daily commute, I leave it on, and leave the side cases off. Otherwise, I leave it home most of the time, unless I know that I really will need it. I keep two small Rok straps under the seat for those times when I have an expected package to carry home and the top case isn't on.
49 Liter Top Case Love:
* It is the only case that fits my very large laptop bag for a daily commute.
* After I park, it stores my helmet, jacket, gloves, other riding gear, and misc junk (e.g., sunglasses, rag, Plexus, etc.) under lock and key.
* It has a huge capacity.
* It gives assurance to first-time passengers that they won't fall off the back.
49 Liter Top Case Hate:
* It destroys the lines and look of the bike. Simply put, it is ugly.
* It catches the wind, especially side winds.
* It upsets the balance of the bike in many ways. It can exaggerate left/right forces when you lean, especially if something shifts inside unexpectedly. Because it sits so high and so far back, it lightens the downward force on the front wheel when accelerating, too.