Gt Final Drive Fluid Change... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Nov 25th, 2008, 8:19 pm Thread Starter

Gt Final Drive Fluid Change...

Below I posted a pic or two of the Syringe and tubing setup I use to evacuate and refill the final drive on my GT. Mine does have the "drain" hole at 3 o'clock and I go right through that hole to both drain it out and fill with the new. Can do it in less than 45 minutes with NO disassembly required.

Someone asked, so here's a couple of pics! The large syringe and tubing are used for an I.V. in hospitals and are available at most medical supply stores.

Note: the battery is a AA (for size comparison).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	syringe 001.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	587.1 KB
ID:	20783   Click image for larger version

Name:	syringe 002.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	564.0 KB
ID:	20784  

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by cccpastorjack; Nov 25th, 2008 at 8:36 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Nov 25th, 2008, 8:54 pm

Re: Gt Final Drive Fluid Change...

Great idea. Just warm up the oil and go.

I had a drill motor driven pump with a small tube that went down the dipstick tube I used to change oil on a boat I owned that might do the same thing even easier.

Wish I hadn't thrown it out when I sold the boat
post #3 of 24 Old Nov 25th, 2008, 8:59 pm

I've stolen and employed Jack's idea. I think my hose may be a might bigger as I have to turn the wheel to get the hose to the bottom. Work it does, though I've purdy much given up on the thought that regular 90W changes stave off a failure.

The only downside to this procedure is it leaves a rather expensive jug of moly sitting all lonely in a cabinet.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok

post #4 of 24 Old Nov 25th, 2008, 9:34 pm

That 'someone' who asked Jack to post pictures of his syringe and tube device was me. My thanks Pastor for such a speedy response.

I took delivery of a new 2008 GT last Friday and while thinking about the 600 mile first service I began looking for the FD drain plug. I was totally amazed to see that my bike has no drain plug whatsoever. A good friend who posts over on the K-Bikes site (Nexus-6, the fellow that started the infamous Fettle Thread to address the high idle and BBS) imparted how important this magnetic drain plug is as it catches the metal shavings floating about in the oil.

Since it appears my only means of accessing the final drive fluid is through the speed sensor hole, Jack's setup was of great interest to me.

I'll be picking up one of these syringes well before 600 miles tick off the odometer.

By the way, this is one friggin' awesome bike!

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Final Drive Back.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	20785  

Last edited by dpancerz; Nov 25th, 2008 at 9:41 pm.
post #5 of 24 Old Nov 25th, 2008, 10:17 pm

Did you check the 7 o'clock position on your final drive?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #6 of 24 Old Nov 26th, 2008, 10:49 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Did you check the 7 o'clock position on your final drive?
Yep, look down here:

You still fill it through the ABS sensor hole, but you now drain it from the bottom. Just use some aluminum foil or similar to keep the old oil away from the brake caliper and pads.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 24 Old Nov 26th, 2008, 10:57 am

Ken & Grif,

I'm about to take off work and I'll check the moment I hit the parking lot.

Just PM'd Grif and stated that I'm probably panicking where I shouldn't be...

So, how long does the silly grin last?

What a bike...

David
post #8 of 24 Old Nov 26th, 2008, 11:57 am

Pastor Jack,

I've totally hijacked your thread after you were kind enough to post pics of the syringe & tubing equipment. I do apologize.

On the heels of a Thanksgiving Holiday I proudly accept the award for New Owner Idiot Of The Year.

You guys were correct, the drain plug is clearly at the 7 o'clock position just as in Ken's picture. Never mind...

With 100 total miles showing on the odo, I promise not to make such a rookie error again. It's slated to be 75 degrees and sunny here today and I'm going out for an extended ride.

All of you veteran GT owners can stop shaking your heads now...

Happy Thanksgiving,

David
post #9 of 24 Old Nov 26th, 2008, 12:03 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpancerz
So, how long does the silly grin last?
Right up until you discover oil all over the final drive.

Fortunately, it comes back once you get the bike towed in and repaired, although it changes to more of a nervous smile . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 24 Old Nov 26th, 2008, 4:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpancerz
Pastor Jack,

I've totally hijacked your thread after you were kind enough to post pics of the syringe & tubing equipment. I do apologize.

On the heels of a Thanksgiving Holiday I proudly accept the award for New Owner Idiot Of The Year.

You guys were correct, the drain plug is clearly at the 7 o'clock position just as in Ken's picture. Never mind...

With 100 total miles showing on the odo, I promise not to make such a rookie error again. It's slated to be 75 degrees and sunny here today and I'm going out for an extended ride.

All of you veteran GT owners can stop shaking your heads now...

Happy Thanksgiving,

David
Now you need to join us for one of our RTE's. I haven't heard of one for December, yet, but the New Years Day run is set. The Hooters in Waco, about noon.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #11 of 24 Old Nov 27th, 2008, 9:32 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Yep, look down here:

You still fill it through the ABS sensor hole, but you now drain it from the bottom. Just use some aluminum foil or similar to keep the old oil away from the brake caliper and pads.

Ken, you need to WASH that bike!!!!! You are riding WAY too much!!!!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #12 of 24 Old Nov 27th, 2008, 9:50 am

Quote:
Now you need to join us for one of our RTE's. I haven't heard of one for December, yet, but the New Years Day run is set. The Hooters in Waco, about noon.
Dang, did I miss the invite?? Either that, or I'm having senior moments galore!! I should make that a sticky over in the Hill Country forum, huh?? Any more details?

BTW - with the drain plug location on the '08 GT FD, does that allow for 'all' the fluid to drain out, or do you have to hoist the southbound end of the bike?
post #13 of 24 Old Nov 27th, 2008, 10:01 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Dang, did I miss the invite?? Either that, or I'm having senior moments galore!! I should make that a sticky over in the Hill Country forum, huh?? Any more details?

BTW - with the drain plug location on the '08 GT FD, does that allow for 'all' the fluid to drain out, or do you have to hoist the southbound end of the bike?
Dick there is not a post for "The New Years Day Ride" It is just known by those who COUNT where and when it is.
BTW this will be our 3rd year also.

Stevie Shreeve
post #14 of 24 Old Nov 27th, 2008, 10:45 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Dick there is not a post for "The New Years Day Ride" It is just known by those who COUNT where and when it is.
BTW this will be our 3rd year also.
This is one I plan on.

dan
post #15 of 24 Old Nov 27th, 2008, 12:32 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Ken, you need to WASH that bike!!!!! You are riding WAY too much!!!!
That's nothing. You should see the front of the thing.

If it's a nice enough day to wash the bike, it's nice enough to be out riding it instead.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #16 of 24 Old Nov 27th, 2008, 6:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
If it's a nice enough day to wash the bike, it's nice enough to be out riding it instead.

That's true! I keep mine spotless by keeping it in the repairshop! Going on 22 consecutive days in the shop now.

They are going to try again tomorrow after finally receiving an email reply from the regional BMW tech. Only took him six days to reply!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #17 of 24 Old Dec 10th, 2008, 11:48 am

How about writing up the change proceedure for the "Hall of Wisdom"?

What grade oil?
How much? (Quantity)
Drain plug on which years?

This is somethin I'll probably attack during the holidays.
post #18 of 24 Old Dec 12th, 2008, 1:34 pm

Why do you guys go on about the weather, its -6*c in this part of the UK, the roads are covered with black ice, even with the heated seat and grips(a $1000 option in the uk) there's no way I going out on the bike as the powers that be insist on covering the roads with salt which destroys the bike! Thanks to fiscal policies I have lost $150,000 of my pension fund!! Any one to sponsor me a green card before the UK goes down the pan completely!!

Despite all that have a great Christmas, Mrs D and myself hope to be over in the USA in January ( for the cold, seeing a friend in Coneticuit)
post #19 of 24 Old Dec 12th, 2008, 3:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldog
Despite all that have a great Christmas, Mrs D and myself hope to be over in the USA in January ( for the cold, seeing a friend in Coneticuit)
You do know how cold it'll be in Connecticut in January.... right? Meanders south some thousand miles, or so.

-=grif=-

Grok

Last edited by grifscoots; Dec 12th, 2008 at 3:59 pm.
post #20 of 24 Old Dec 17th, 2008, 5:42 pm

Me thinks I'll ride the GT to work tomorrow.
post #21 of 24 Old Dec 17th, 2008, 8:06 pm
fas

Quote:
.... I think my hose may be a might bigger ..... Work it does............I've purdy much given up on...... .....expensive jug.... ...... all lonely......

Typical Texas boy......

Where's Joe when I need him?

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #22 of 24 Old Dec 18th, 2008, 9:05 pm

If you buy a quart of Royal Purple (from the local distributer) and a foot of neoprene 1/4" diameter hose (at the hardware store) you can do the rear end grease change easily.

Press the tube on the tip of the container.

Fill through the speed sensor hole 'till it comes out by simply squeezing the plastic bottle.

Then close it up.

Go slowly and pay attention to the suggestions above about cleanliness.

You'll use 1/3 of the quart.

Best,
post #23 of 24 Old Jan 5th, 2009, 1:16 pm

What viscosity of gear oil is supposed to be used?
post #24 of 24 Old Jan 5th, 2009, 6:57 pm

75w90. You can pick it up at any auto parts store but I picked mine up at a Land Rover dealership today (part LRN7591). I paid $14 for a quart OTD.

'05 1200 RT, Ruby, as in RED, '04 1150 RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto,
'93 Yamaha Seca II, '93 K1100RS (Silk Blue), '83 Yamaha Maxim 750

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in