1200GT after R1200RT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Nov 10th, 2008, 8:45 pm Thread Starter

1200GT after R1200RT

I sold my R12RT at the end of the summer and I am looking at two bikes. I am looking at a ST1300 and the K1200GT. I am probably looking at a two year old bike as it saves a whole lot of depreciation. I have ridden the ST1300 but I am wondering about people who have ridden both the 12GT vs the 12RT. How is the wind protection etc. I have yet to ride one and wondering if I will like it. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Nov 10th, 2008, 9:25 pm

Re: 1200GT after R1200RT

Two words about the Honda ST..... PUTT...PUTT

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 22 Old Nov 11th, 2008, 1:03 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Wind protection on an RT is a bit better than a GT, but less so than an LT. AeroFlow makes some bits that help tremendously with the GT. Some claim that the RT feels lighter in slow maneuvers, but the GT's also quite well behaved at all speeds. Some guys like the Boxer rumble and low-down torque, but I prefer the higher-revving Slant/4 motor. Most of that is simply personal preference though, as both are fine bikes.

As for the ST13, it is a good bike as well but it is underpowered and heavier in comparison. Some riders complain of massive heat on the lower legs, to the point of actually giving skin burns through riding gear. But they do have their fans, and you get that legendary Honda reliability and impressive dealer network.

I think you need to ride a GT next, then do your own direct comparison.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 22 Old Nov 11th, 2008, 8:28 am

A good friend has an ST and likes it other than the weight and heat on his feet. Otherwise it handles well, has plenty of power and a huge gas tank.

I owned an LT for 7 years, and now have a GT. Both are excellent for what they do. The LT was awsome 2 up and had great Wx protection. It was top heavy at slow speeds and ran out of ground clearance if you pushed it. The front also seemed a bit vague in the corners and mine anyway wanted to fall into turns. You got used to it though and again, if I were riding 2 up, that would be the bike.

The GT is a better 1 up choice imo. Lighter, smoother, and faster to the point you really have to use the cruise to keep from looking down and realizing "oh S*, I am putting along at 100". It rails the corners, splits CA lanes, gets great milage and you feel no excess bike heat. The seat sucks, it takes a bit to get used to the throttle, and to smooth out your shifting, after that the thing feels like an extension of yourself.

Oh, did I say that I love this bike. I can't comment on the boxer, but I know the police all wish they had GT's.
post #5 of 22 Old Nov 11th, 2008, 9:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
...As for the ST13, it is a good bike as well but it is underpowered and heavier in comparison. Some riders complain of massive heat on the lower legs, to the point of actually giving skin burns through riding gear. But they do have their fans...
It's true. They do have their fans, and they blow all the heat onto your legs.

Seriously, when shopping for my GT, I talked with quite a few of the local motor officers who were riding Honda ST1300s. Their comments matched Meese's: too heavy and too much heat thrown at the rider. Not a one recommended the ST over the BMWs (RT or GT).
post #6 of 22 Old Nov 11th, 2008, 12:54 pm Thread Starter

I like the wind protection on the R12Rt but kind of tired of the twin engine and would like something smoother and quite frankly better looking. The seat on the R12Rt sucked, but other than that it was a nice bike. I haven't ridden a K12GT yet but the 08 leftovers and the used 07's are coming down there. The advantages of the St1300 are reliablility and service. The disadvantages are all of the crap you have to add that is standard on the BMW's. Did I say NO CRUISE! The heat is also anissue that Honda just doesn't seem to be able to fix. The St1300's are pretty inexpensive even with all the stuff you have to add including a new seat. Thanks for the continued input.
post #7 of 22 Old Nov 11th, 2008, 6:46 pm

St1300 too dangerous

Do a search on: Honda ST1300 high speed wobble/weave. I think the bike has too many inherent handling issues. Check it out for yourself.

Bruce Hodges
post #8 of 22 Old Nov 11th, 2008, 8:14 pm

I just went from a 06 R12RT to a 06 K12GT about a month ago. The RT was a great bike but I also wanted to go back to the smooth and powerful 4 cylinder without the weight of the LT. Man do I love the GT. Weather protection is not that much less. I'm 5'11" and with the tall BMW windshield I'm very happy. Go ride the GT, I think you'll be impressed.

Wayne

2006 K1200GT Blue

2008 F800ST Blue (Hers)
2006 R1200RT Red (Traded)
1999 K1200LT Champaign (Sold)
1985 K100LT Baja Red (Sold and
)
post #9 of 22 Old Nov 11th, 2008, 8:29 pm

Make sure you ride the Yamaha FJR 1300 and the Kawasaki Concourse before you decide. Couple of pretty fine rides. I have a 2005 LT myself, but my wife lets me ride her FJR from time to time.
post #10 of 22 Old Nov 11th, 2008, 10:00 pm Thread Starter

I rode the FJR and thought it was a little buzzy (is that a word?) for me. Nice handling and very light though. I really appreciate the input esp from people who have ridden both the RT and GT. I have read about the high speed wobble on the ST's but I had the impression that it was apparent at 90+. Thanks again!
post #11 of 22 Old Nov 12th, 2008, 6:20 am

Before I bought my '05 RT (2nd owner of course) I was bent on the GT.. I test rode the bike at least 10 times in various road conditions and speeds. It is definitely a terrific bike. It has lots of power and handles well. The things I really couldn't get use to:

1) The stock seat sucks ..
2) The jerky throttle response
3) Seating position for long haul

After riding the RT numerous times, the list of items that I didn't care for was much shorter:

1) More vibration (that has become much better over time)

I found the seating position much better for the long haul. I found it to be more nimble (the GT was a good handler, but not quite as good). Although the GT has alot more power when you push it, the RT is no slouch and has enough power for most riders... You can still get in trouble with it if you want to.

Both are great bikes. One other thing: The RT seems to be more do-it-yourself friendly for maintenance. Oil changes are much, much easier. If you plan on doing your own maintenance, there seems to be more info. readily available on maintaining the RT. If you plan on letting the dealer do it, it is a no issue.
post #12 of 22 Old Nov 12th, 2008, 9:44 am

http://www.bamarider.com/The%20Motorcycle/rt_or_st.htm

Last edited by DaveDragon; Nov 12th, 2008 at 12:35 pm.
post #13 of 22 Old Nov 12th, 2008, 12:28 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by drodg
I have read about the high speed wobble on the ST's but I had the impression that it was apparent at 90+. Thanks again!
Hence the modifier high-speed. Apparently it's worse with a trunk on, but not all bikes do it.
The latest theory is that it's a combination of steering geometry and aerodynamics, although no one knows for sure.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #14 of 22 Old Nov 12th, 2008, 2:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by drodg
I am looking at a ST1300 and the K1200GT.
Posting this on a BMW board, hmm I wonder which one will get the nod?

I had a high speed wobble at the rear of my last sport tourer, a Kawasaki GPZ1100 with Givi bags. Happened at about 135 MPH, scary as hell. I've had the K1200GT up to 148 with sidecases and the big BMW topcase on, perfectly stable. If your thing is fully loaded 100+ freeway riding, the KGT can't be beat!
post #15 of 22 Old Nov 13th, 2008, 9:38 am Thread Starter

I had an 06 RT after years of riding last fall. I sold it for a variety of reasons not the least of being my wife hating me riding. Do you want your grandkids growing up without you comments. She has since felt bad for me and I am back in the market. So I am considering all options right now and really never considered the GT before because of price. That has changed now with the pricing on the new ones and hence lower pricing on used ones. Everything you have said on this post about the RT is true and I may go back to it. I just want to consider all options before I take the plunge again.
post #16 of 22 Old Nov 16th, 2008, 9:25 pm

I found my ST1300 too heavy and a bit wobbly at high speeds, and traded it for a an RT. Fell in love with the RT, but was seduced by the HP of the GT, so I traded the RT for a GT. Rode the GT for a year and threw money at it in every direction to make it an RT and the attempts failed. Traded the GT back for an RT and now all is right with the world.

GT...not my cup of tea. RT has the ergos, wind protection and handling I prefer. Also, I'm really becoming a fan of the boxer.

Good luck. Ride them both for an extended period.
post #17 of 22 Old Nov 16th, 2008, 9:46 pm

I'm so glad I don't have the conflicts that some BMW's owners are having, I've had 14 bike in my 30 years of riding, the 12RT is my first Beemer and I love it! My favorite thing about the bike is the boxer engine, I wish I had the money to purchase the HP2 sportbike, but honestly I looking into a different direction.

I can't imagine ever trading it for any thing else other than an newer RT. I can't help but notice the numerous people that have left the RT only to circle back to in in a year or two.

I currently have a two bikes, a Triumph 675, which is one hell of a bike. I find that I to ride the Beemer 8 to 2 in favor of the RT, it's just easier to ride and does it all. I am however looking for a 3rd (maroon 2006 FZ1) bike to fit between the 675 and the RT, which is a nob for the RT as I know the 675 will be my last sport bike as I will soon be turning the corner on being 50.

Michael
post #18 of 22 Old Nov 17th, 2008, 4:37 am

I currently own an ST1100 and love the reliability and solid feel in city traffic as well as touring. The bike is super stable in the wet and at all speeds and has enough power for me although the handling could be better.
I recently toured Colarado and New Mexico on an R1200RT for 4 days covering about 1200 miles and was surprised at the stability and handling performance. I would describe the power as adequate because there were no times that I needed more but it wasn't the 'shove in the back' that the 4 cylinder equivalents give you.
One of my riding buddies in OZ has a current GT and I have ridden it numerous times on our short Sunday rides and then on a tour of Tasmania we did after I returned from the US. It is an awesome bike with power to spare and is well behaved in the handling and breaking areas.
Comparing the two (I use the ST1100 as my benchmark which is probably a bit low since it is a 97 model with ABS and TCS), if I had the money I would buy one of each.
The RT is like an old friend/shoe/glove/hat/whatever that feels right nearly all the time but, like the partner after many years of marriage, doesn't seem to generate that 'excitement' that we all sometimes look for. The seating position is comfortable (I had no issue with the seat comfort), wind protection is great and (apart from the bloody BMW blinkers...grrr) all the controls are where you want them. If you are not looking for a 'fling', the RT will provide you with endless miles of comfortable riding and enough handling ability to embarrass lesser riders on their sports bikes on the curves (a friend on a Ducati motostrada admitted he had trouble keeping up with me when we found some curves and decided to 'play' - like the road from Taos to Angel Fire).
On the other hand, if you want to tour AND play with the boys on their sports bike, the awesome power of the GT is fabulous. All you need to do is spend enough time learning how to tame it on the tight stuff to enjoy the great handling. Probably not as much comfort as the RT and a little less wind protection, it is almost like it it was made by a different manufacturer. I think it is a little more cultivated than the FJR and Kquaka but that is probably a personal preference.
Hope this helps you - although writing it did open up a wound that was repairing. My missus (when I told her about the RT experience) before I even suggested it, said 'NO' to swapping the ST over. Oh well, dream material.....
post #19 of 22 Old Nov 19th, 2008, 6:18 pm

The ST is a great bike that is totally dependable....a great right side of the brain bike. If you want exhileration, handling and performance ... the GT is the bike.
post #20 of 22 Old Nov 28th, 2008, 11:28 am

I have owned both bikes and here is my short list of what I liked and disliked on both bikes. I had my 2007 ST1300 for 10,000 km and my 2007 K1200GT for 42,000 km and counting.

I have based my list on things I have personally experienced; so for example I do not mention final drive failures on the BMW or high-speed weaving on the Honda as I did not experiece these problems.

2007 ST1300:
Pros:
Very large fuel capacity (29 litres)
Tip-over protection
Easily adjustable headlights
Two compartments in the faring (only 1 on the K1200GT)
Runs on regular gasoline
Adequate power (enough to double the highway speed limit)
Rider seat has three height settings (only 2 on the K1200GT)
Large dealer network
Honda reliability

Cons:
Very high heat coming from engine when city riding
Digital instruments hard to read in daylight
Limited factory options: no heated grips/seat, TPM, ESA or cruise control
Engine sounds like an electric blender
75 lbs heavier than the K1200GT
Only one colour per model year
No BMW roundels on faring

2007 K1200GT:
Pros:
Huge amount of power
Complete factory options: heated grips/seat TPM, ESA and cruise control
Engine sounds great
Selected gear indicator on instruments panel
Raising or lowering handlebar does not require using expensive risers
Braking power
BMW roundels on fairing

Cons:
Reliability issues (EWS, airbox)
Runs on premium gasoline
No tip-over protection
Limited dealer network

Regardless of the bike you buy, they are two great bikes can can give you hundreds of thousands of miles of fun.
post #21 of 22 Old Nov 28th, 2008, 3:26 pm

I put about 12,000 miles on a Honda ST 1300 and liked the bike. I did need to change out the seat (the OEM seat was like sitting on a log -- worst seat ever -- but a Sergant seat fixed that just fine). The engine was strong, smooth, and produced lots of power. Sounded like a sewing machine though. I did have to put Heli Bars on it but with that change, and the seat change, it was very comfortable. Heavy bike but balanced extremely well and easy in parking lot maneuvers as a result. Lack of cruise control really bothered me on long hauls though (especially that LA to Phoenix and back trip!). I did not have a heat on the legs issue with that bike nor did I ever experience any high speed wobble.

Swapped the Honda out for the BMW K1200GT. Really love that bike. I have the tall BMW windscreen and the protection from wind is pretty good (but not as good as the Honda). The OEM seat is pretty good (my BMW is a 2007 with the revised seat). I still get off every 100 miles though. I have never quite gotten to where I want to pay the money and experiment with an after market seat, though I do think about it. I like the heated grips, heated seat, cruise control, the gear indicator and the ESA. Very smooth handling bike and power is not an issue. I do not have any twitchy throttle issue at all. No heat on the legs from the engine. Good sounding engine with no need to slap on an after market exhaust, in my opinion.

I have ridden the RT a number of times and my son now rides one. I think that is a great bike -- with perfectly adequate power, very good wind protection, and all the bells & whistles. Very comfortable riding position. Very easy bike to live with and handles really well. More flickable than the GT.

The safer choice I think is the RT. But I really do love my GT and I am not going to change -- period. The RT is solid, but the GT is inspiring.
post #22 of 22 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 6:38 pm

I went from an R1100RT to a new K1200GT last year. I loved the RT - but the GT -- way too much fun (not possible ) Oh when you purchase the GT get yourself a good radar detector too, you'll need it if you have any wrist problems like I do. Just a slight twist of the throttle and it is gone 100+ mph is way to easy to do in a very short time. My valentine saved my skin quite a few times last summer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in