Gt Rev Limiter??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 8:48 pm Thread Starter

Gt Rev Limiter???

Just where does YOUR rev limiter kick-in on the next gen GT? On my tachometer, the visual redline is at 10,250 rpm, but today I pegged it in first and it was pulling way past that...I just changed at 11k but the limiter never kicked in. Anyone ever bounced your GT off the limiter and at what RPM?

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 8:52 pm
Just ridin'

Re: Gt Rev Limiter???

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Just where does YOUR rev limiter kick-in on the next gen GT? On my tachometer, the visual redline is at 10,250 rpm, but today I pegged it in first and it was pulling way past that...I just changed at 11k but the limiter never kicked in. Anyone ever bounced your GT off the limiter and at what RPM?
Mine hit just before 11,000 indicated.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 9:05 pm

Now Jack, are you sure you're not confused? Maybe you were driving that Porsche that pulled into your driveway the other day!!

post #4 of 21 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 9:19 pm Thread Starter

Son...that thing was awesome. Lots of speed at my place.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #5 of 21 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 10:35 pm

Yeppir, mine will go beyond the posted redline, that is if I have time to look. It is handy to have the rev limiter, lets you know it's time to change gears when it starts to stutter in the middle of a corner.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #6 of 21 Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 3:54 pm

BTW Jack, completely unrelated but, have you ever used fuel additives like Sta-bil?

I have a buddy with a Gold Wing and he pours some in every winter.
post #7 of 21 Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 4:26 pm Thread Starter

Oh yeah...Stabil is a must in engines you are going to store for some time. I put it in my mowers, weedeaters, etc. Not in my GT cause I'll run it at least every couple of weeks even in the coldest winters around here. That stuff is made for people like JOE who live in the ICE BELT

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #8 of 21 Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 4:29 pm

A bit off topic, but you mentioned weedeaters.

If you use the Stihl 2 stroke oil it already has a stabil like product in it.

And no, I'm neither starting, participating, nor condoning this as an oil thread.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #9 of 21 Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 4:43 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
A bit off topic, but you mentioned weedeaters.

If you use the Stihl 2 stroke oil it already has a stabil like product in it.

And no, I'm neither starting, participating, nor condoning this as an oil thread.

Gotcha again!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #10 of 21 Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 4:55 pm

Ya' know Jack, I may ONLY pilot an LT...But, those who never hit their RevLimiters are...PUSSIES!!!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #11 of 21 Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 6:01 pm

Quote:
Gotcha again!
Go to your room!

-=grif=-

Grok
post #12 of 21 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 3:51 pm

Ok, I assume you can get this stuff at most auto parts stores or do I have to pay double the price and go get some at a BMW shop?

HAA !

BTW, don't know much about rev limiters but I have ridden the LT above 90 Jack and that's about all I can say right now. Since I put the Avons on, I'm not so sure I'd want to do it again. had high hopes for the Storms but I think they need a redesign by Avon. I'm going to keep trying other brands until I find the right tires for me. Knowing my luck, I'll end up back on ME880s.
post #13 of 21 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 4:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-NC
Ok, I assume you can get this stuff at most auto parts stores or do I have to pay double the price and go get some at a BMW shop?

HAA !

BTW, don't know much about rev limiters but I have ridden the LT above 90 Jack and that's about all I can say right now. Since I put the Avons on, I'm not so sure I'd want to do it again. had high hopes for the Storms but I think they need a redesign by Avon. I'm going to keep trying other brands until I find the right tires for me. Knowing my luck, I'll end up back on ME880s.

Well, that's another great thing about the GT... SO many tire choices!!!!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #14 of 21 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 4:34 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

They don't make ME880s in the correct size for the rear of the GT (180/55-17). The front tire is no problem (120/70-17). You can run a 170/60-17 ME880 on the rear without any problems, except for the normal 880 issues of front tire cupping and howling, severe squiggliness over painted lines and tar snakes, and complete lack of traction in the wet. Other than that, they're fine.

I had no trouble with several sets of Avon Storms, the PR2's, or the Roadsmarts. I won't touch the Z6's again though, unless they were free.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #15 of 21 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 8:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
They don't make ME880s in the correct size for the rear of the GT (180/55-17). The front tire is no problem (120/70-17). You can run a 170/60-17 ME880 on the rear without any problems, except for the normal 880 issues of front tire cupping and howling, severe squiggliness over painted lines and tar snakes, and complete lack of traction in the wet. Other than that, they're fine.

I had no trouble with several sets of Avon Storms, the PR2's, or the Roadsmarts. I won't touch the Z6's again though, unless they were free.

Good input Ken, but Brian rides an LT....

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #16 of 21 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 10:52 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Good input Ken, but Brian rides an LT....
His loss. Guess I got confused, since this is the GT forum.

But he's right there, Avon rears on the LT suck. Avon fronts are pretty awesome though.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #17 of 21 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 11:38 am

I'm hesitant to post here since my good friend Grif remonstrated with me that as I don't own a GT I have only dubious qualification to post in this forum. Even so, just a thought, but it seems to me that trusting the rev limiter to prevent over revving the engine could lead to catastrophic engine failure. I've heard lots of anecdotal tales of just this thing happening on various sport bikes. Additionally, one night standing next to an intersection on a main drag through town, I actually observed this type of engine failure. I'm just wondering if anyone has considered this?

Over-Runnin' Karl

Disreputable Rode Hard & Put Up Wet Old Deadbeat Geezer
"We're all here because we're not all there"
--Ken & Gene Hunt
'09 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie -- QuickSilver II
'02 LTE Silver -- Retired
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
2009 Subaru WRX, Stage 1 269 whp, 293 ftlb - INTERCEPTOR
2003 Ford Focus, 220 hp @ wheels 180 ftlb torque @ wheels - Traded
Northern Colorado
post #18 of 21 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 2:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurphy165
I'm hesitant to post here since my good friend Grif remonstrated with me that as I don't own a GT I have only dubious qualification to post in this forum. Even so, just a thought, but it seems to me that trusting the rev limiter to prevent over revving the engine could lead to catastrophic engine failure. I've heard lots of anecdotal tales of just this thing happening on various sport bikes. Additionally, one night standing next to an intersection on a main drag through town, I actually observed this type of engine failure. I'm just wondering if anyone has considered this?

Over-Runnin' Karl
You curmudgeonly curmudgeon. You weren't called down for posting in the GT forum. Your tail was put twixt your legs for posting an LT answer in a GT forum. In other words, or other wise, a GT question was asked and an LT answer was given that didn't apply to said GT.

Not to worry, it happens all the time and can be real Twilight Zone. By all means, post away brother man. It does get pointed out if someone asks what tires need to be used on a GT and someone answers that there's only three sets of tires that are approved. Not.

Now, the GT's redline is a soft redline and it actually won't start cutting out till after words. No way does it hurt this motor. That's what the fuel/electrical cut out is for. Now, you may pop it if you down shift into it. Say you're running in third gear at 10,000 RPM, you pull in the clutch, take two gears and then dump said clutch with a wide open throttle. You may just slide the rear wheel and get an, "Oh shit!" look on your face, or you could pop something if the wheel sticks too many purdy good.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #19 of 21 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 11:49 am

Quote:
You curmudgeonly curmudgeon. You weren't called down for posting in the GT forum. Your tail was put twixt your legs for posting an LT answer in a GT forum. In other words, or other wise, a GT question was asked and an LT answer was given that didn't apply to said GT.

Not to worry, it happens all the time and can be real Twilight Zone. By all means, post away brother man. It does get pointed out if someone asks what tires need to be used on a GT and someone answers that there's only three sets of tires that are approved. Not.

Now, the GT's redline is a soft redline and it actually won't start cutting out till after words. No way does it hurt this motor. That's what the fuel/electrical cut out is for. Now, you may pop it if you down shift into it. Say you're running in third gear at 10,000 RPM, you pull in the clutch, take two gears and then dump said clutch with a wide open throttle. You may just slide the rear wheel and get an, "Oh shit!" look on your face, or you could pop something if the wheel sticks too many purdy good.
Howdy Grif. Ah, so. Now I gets it. At the time I thought it was a seat only issue. Am much enlightened and relieved.

Am not fully comprending your sentence, "the GT's redline is a soft redline and it actually won't start cutting out till after words. No way does it hurt this motor." Till after the motor grenades? The sitiations I'm recollectin the squids would rev the poor motor up on the rev limiter and leave it there for several seconds and the KAPOW motor grenades. As you say, I'm just a curmudgeonly curmudgeon and working at Wally World has removed more than a few IQ points so some more of your good Texican enlightenin' would be most appreciated.

Bowin' and Scrapin' Karl

Disreputable Rode Hard & Put Up Wet Old Deadbeat Geezer
"We're all here because we're not all there"
--Ken & Gene Hunt
'09 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie -- QuickSilver II
'02 LTE Silver -- Retired
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
2009 Subaru WRX, Stage 1 269 whp, 293 ftlb - INTERCEPTOR
2003 Ford Focus, 220 hp @ wheels 180 ftlb torque @ wheels - Traded
Northern Colorado
post #20 of 21 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 1:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurphy165
Howdy Grif. Ah, so. Now I gets it. At the time I thought it was a seat only issue. Am much enlightened and relieved.

Am not fully comprending your sentence, "the GT's redline is a soft redline and it actually won't start cutting out till after words. No way does it hurt this motor." Till after the motor grenades? The sitiations I'm recollectin the squids would rev the poor motor up on the rev limiter and leave it there for several seconds and the KAPOW motor grenades. As you say, I'm just a curmudgeonly curmudgeon and working at Wally World has removed more than a few IQ points so some more of your good Texican enlightenin' would be most appreciated.

Bowin' and Scrapin' Karl
Greetings, all mighty greeter.

"the GT's redline is a soft redline and it actually won't start cutting out till after words." The tach shows a redline, on the GT you can go beyond that shown redline before it starts spluttering. The spluttering is an electrical/fuel cut off that happens in milliseconds. You can hold it there on the GT without any fear of grenading. I've done it thru a corner simply because I was afraid to shift as I didn't want to go any faster and sure as hell wasn't going to back out of it.

I've seen many, many sportbikes that were absolutely trashed at 10,000 miles. Some of them don't redline till 16,000 RPM. I think that may be just a tad bit tough on a bike that's gone thru years of injuneering lightening of every part, including major engine parts like the crankshaft, etc. I've never seen a GXSR1000, CBR1000 with over 100,000 miles on it. BMW may fail in final drives, but I think they may have the engines down. Now, if I could just get my software fixed. sigh.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #21 of 21 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 2:01 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
BMW may fail in final drives, but I think they may have the engines down.
Engines, yep. Except for the cam chain tensioner. And the oil pump tensioner. And the clutch. And airbox. And fuel injection, but you already mentioned software. And the rest of the drivetrain. Other than that, they're good for 100-200K, easy.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in