GT Down Again - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 11:02 am Thread Starter

GT Down Again

A couple of weeks ago I posted a thread about the GT needing a new airbox and softwear upgrade due to high idle. Well, I got the bike back, put about 300 miles on it and had the same problem again. This time not only were the RPM's sticking when the throttle was released but when I came to a stop the darn thing was surging to almost 3,000 rpms. Sooo, the bike is back in the shop to see if they can find the problem. When it runs it is a great bike, but it is no fun at all when it sits in the shop....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 12:34 pm

Re: GT Down Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmc
A couple of weeks ago I posted a thread about the GT needing a new airbox and softwear upgrade due to high idle. Well, I got the bike back, put about 300 miles on it and had the same problem again. This time not only were the RPM's sticking when the throttle was released but when I came to a stop the darn thing was surging to almost 3,000 rpms. Sooo, the bike is back in the shop to see if they can find the problem. When it runs it is a great bike, but it is no fun at all when it sits in the shop....

True of most all bikes....let us know if they determine a cause. Sounds like it could have an air leak somewhere...

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 5 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 8:49 pm

Be confident that they will get it working right. Of all the MFG's BMW quietly sticks with their customers until all is well. Then you will have 100,0000+ miles of rocket ship fun with normal maintenance.

BMW replaced the sqeaky rear brake rotor on my LT 2 years out of warranty. They are a great company if not a little secretive.

post #4 of 5 Old Nov 11th, 2008, 12:12 pm

I have a 2008 K1200GT with the same problem of surging to over 2500 RPM after coming to a stop. Additional problem; I downshifted into first, with the clutch in, and didn't like what I heard. The dealer replaced my airbox and did the software upgrade. Still not running right at lower rpms. For you trouble shooters, now it does this: Over 4000-5000 feet altitude my idle stays briefly above 1500-2000 rpm then slows for a brief moment at 1500rpm then settles to the normal idle speed approximately 1100 rpm. Took it back down the mountain to about 2,500 feet altitude and it worked normal.

Frank or anyone, any additional insight before I drop off my bike at the dealer.

I'm a new member. Thanks, Bob
post #5 of 5 Old Nov 11th, 2008, 12:50 pm Thread Starter

Hi Bob:
Sounds like you are having the same problems that I encountered. I didn't notice that altitude had an impact on the high idle however I never had an occassion to ride at any significant altitude during this time. On the shop visit it took a long ride for the problem to occur for the mechanic. On the advice of BMW they reset the adaption values and reprogrammed the computer again. It seemed to do the trick. The issue of adaption values has been mentioned in other threads about the high idle. I don't really know if they are reset each time or if it is a special issue that is only done for a specific problem. Anyway, resetting them seemed to have had an impact. I have only been able to put a few miles on the bike, had a nail in the rear tire when I got it home from the dealer, so I can't yet say that the problem is fixed. I do feel that this could become a safety issue at some point. It is no fun backing of the throttle in a tight curve expecting the compression to slow you a little and then the RPM's stay high! I will say that the dealer here in Sacramento has been great about trying to fix the problem. It seems that after the air box all dealers can do is throw reprogramming and other fixes at the bike and hope one of them works. Be patient, we are not the only ones with this problem, eventually they will figure it out (we hope).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in