ESA BROKEN - Shock being replaced.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 9:33 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy ESA BROKEN - Shock being replaced....

The ESA preload setting on my '07 GT stopped working about a week ago. It just stayed stuck on one rider and luggage setting. I took it into the shop Friday and today they called and said they were going to replace the rear shock. If I am correct, I believe the rear shock and the preload adjusting unit are a combined piece.

My bike has only 11,000 miles and is an '07. This should be warranty...right???

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 9:41 pm
Just ridin'

Re: ESA BROKEN - Shock being replaced....

Warranty, yes. I'm sure it has happened on some other BMW, though I don't recall hearing about it. I have two friends with 1800 GoldWings who had their electric preload fail. I don't know who BMW sources the ESA units from, but the shocks on the LT were Showa - the same as Honda uses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
The ESA preload setting on my '07 GT stopped working about a week ago. It just stayed stuck on one rider and luggage setting. I took it into the shop Friday and today they called and said they were going to replace the rear shock. If I am correct, I believe the rear shock and the preload adjusting unit are a combined piece.

My bike has only 11,000 miles and is an '07. This should be warranty...right???

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 33 Old Oct 19th, 2008, 8:03 am

The price of replacement is $2500 I hope BMW replaces the shock. Perhaps your shop will give you the option of a Ohlins replacement.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA

post #4 of 33 Old Oct 19th, 2008, 8:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray
The price of replacement is $2500 I hope BMW replaces the shock. Perhaps your shop will give you the option of a Ohlins replacement.

That would be cool, but then I would lose the ESA.... I probably would settle for that if they would replace BOTH shocks. I wouldn't want to have just one Ohlins. Plus, to be honest, I LOVE my ESA. (Except, that is, when it's broken!)

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #5 of 33 Old Oct 19th, 2008, 10:18 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I understand that Works developed the basic "ESA" system. You can get Works replacement shocks that maintain the on-the-fly Comfort/Normal/Sport damping settings, but lose the button-operated Solo/Luggage/2-up preload settings. Preload can still be changed manually. They do need your old shocks to remove some of the hardware though.

I may just go this route as I find that I adjust the damping settings a lot, but rarely mess with preload.

But I agree that BMW should sort out Jack's shock as he's still well under warranty.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 33 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 6:51 am

Jack, here's to hoping it's a factory defect and not a wear item. Man, I loves that ESA!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #7 of 33 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 7:24 am

Unhappy Channeling Jack's mother...

You broke that too?! . . . . . This is why we can have nice things.
post #8 of 33 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 7:01 pm
fas

I heard an ugly rumor that God broke his ESA because he lusts after his GT....

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #9 of 33 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 9:49 pm Thread Starter

See now...all you boys calm down. We live in a world in which things BREAK. It is the second law of thermodynamics in action. Things go from complex to simple. But...I did call the shop today and got good news and bad news:

GOOD NEWS: The cost of replacement shock is waranteed. Yippee!

BAD NEWS: The part will have to come from overseas and they have NO idea how long it will take.

Oh well, at least it stuck in the preload position I use most (ride +luggage). I am going to go get it tomorrow and they will call me when the shock is in and then it will be installed free.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #10 of 33 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 4:46 am

Quote:
Oh well, at least it stuck in the preload position I use most (ride +luggage). I am going to go get it tomorrow and they will call me when the shock is in and then it will be installed free.
It just don't get any better than that!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #11 of 33 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 8:00 am

If I had something adjustable that broke, I would want it to break in the position I used most.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #12 of 33 Old Oct 31st, 2008, 9:25 am Thread Starter

MY SHOCK IS IN!!!! Going Thursday to get it installed!!!!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #13 of 33 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 2:08 pm Thread Starter

The Saga Continues.....

I took my bike to the shop this morning and they installed the new rear shock. It has been redisigned and as a result the "old" computer on the bike will not communicate with it. Problem still exists. They special ordered a new computer...supposed to be in tomorrow and they have it fixed (crossing my fingers).

Overall, they have been great...just unexpected stuff happening. ANother update coming tomorrow.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #14 of 33 Old Nov 7th, 2008, 7:31 pm Thread Starter

The parts did not come in...and my bike is not ready. Now they won't be here until Tuesday and they have to repair it from there. This really bites 'cause today it got up to about 80 degrees and is going to be one of the best weekends to ride in a long time.

To make matters worse, my new set of Dunlop Roadsmarts arrived (early) today and they are just sitting in my garage waiting to be installed on a bike I don't have right now.

For a long time people have asked, "ESA is great, but what happens when it breaks?" Well....it's not great. (But I still love my ESA).

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #15 of 33 Old Nov 7th, 2008, 8:49 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Jack I'm to busy to ride this weekend you want my bike you got it

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #16 of 33 Old Nov 7th, 2008, 8:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddle-man
Jack I'm to busy to ride this weekend you want my bike you got it

Hey Bro...I sure appreciate the offer! What a guy! That's one of the best things about this site--the people you meet and make friends with! If I go into deep withdrawals, I just may call!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #17 of 33 Old Nov 7th, 2008, 10:12 pm

Talking Re: ESA BROKEN - Shock being replaced....

Hey Jack--I bet there's some good sermon material here somewhere...

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #18 of 33 Old Nov 7th, 2008, 10:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmoss
Hey Jack--I bet there's some good sermon material here somewhere...
Good call.

"Today's sermon: The Patience of Job."

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #19 of 33 Old Nov 8th, 2008, 7:04 am Thread Starter

"SHOCKING NEWS! How to Handle it with Grace"

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #20 of 33 Old Nov 20th, 2008, 10:23 am Thread Starter

November 20th... still in shop... tick...tick...tick... or should I type the sound of pages on a calendar turning?

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #21 of 33 Old Nov 20th, 2008, 5:01 pm
fas

Cool Re: ESA BROKEN - Shock being replaced....

Quote:
November 20th... still in shop... tick...tick...tick... or should I type the sound of pages on a calendar turning?
I was meeting ZF Sachs in Chicago the other day and their biggest problem is parts planning for replacement.....no one wants to take on the inventory cost....to serve the vehicle owner......$17 Billion in business.

Rob Nelson

Grey Goose
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #22 of 33 Old Nov 20th, 2008, 8:26 pm

Totally off topic but regarding your signature line....

"More than 125,000 motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there."

By my calculation thats about 8 per day, every day of the year for 42 years. Seems kinda high.

Laurence Hendrick

2008 K1200GT, Dark Graphite (Oh my, so fast!)
2005 LT Ocean Blue (Sold and comfort will be missed, but not the weight)
post #23 of 33 Old Nov 21st, 2008, 11:47 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
I was meeting ZF Sachs in Chicago the other day and their biggest problem is parts planning for replacement.....no one wants to take on the inventory cost....to serve the vehicle owner......$17 Billion in business.

Yea...I'm sure. The replacement rear shock alone was $2500. The dealer is working hard to solve the problem and order and received the part early on in the process. Now they are trying to get the computer on the bike to "recognize" the shock and can't. Running out of things to "try" they are contacting a factory rep from BMW for suggestions.

The problem is not with the dealership as they are working hard and communicating with me well. The problem is that they have to communicate with BMW via EMAIL only! ?????? They will try suggestions and if they don't work it takes on average 2 days to get an email reponse from BMW. Seems like a crazy way to handle it, but I was told they can make no phone calls to BMW at present.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #24 of 33 Old Nov 21st, 2008, 1:25 pm

Hey Jack, on the K-bikes forum a dealer was having the same problem. The shock was just stuck. On a whim, the dealership took a battery and manually manipulated the shock with it. It seemed to "wake" everything up and all went well from there.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #25 of 33 Old Nov 21st, 2008, 4:57 pm
fas

Cool Re: ESA BROKEN - Shock being replaced....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrick
Totally off topic but regarding your signature line....

"More than 125,000 motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there."

By my calculation thats about 8 per day, every day of the year for 42 years. Seems kinda high.
You were right, kinda. My number was wrong. MORE have died. The number I had is now too small.;(
NHTSA data. Some years over 7,000 dead. Here is tthe source and an updated report is quoted below.
NHTSA’s National Center for Statistics and Analysis 400 Seventh Street SW., Washington, DC 20590
An estimated 132,000 motorcyclists have died in traffic crashes since the
enactment of the Highway Safety and National Traffic and Motor Vehicle
Safety Act of 1966.
Motorcycles made up more than 2 percent of all registered vehicles in
the United States in 2004 and accounted for only 0.3 percent of all vehicle
miles traveled.
Per vehicle mile traveled in 2004, motorcyclists were about 34 times more
likely than passenger car occupants to die in a motor vehicle traffic crash.

Rob Nelson

Grey Goose
Toscana Temptress

post #26 of 33 Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 9:30 am

My ESA went out on my 06RT. Took 5 weeks to get everything working again but the shop had to order a new $80k computer to read the new ZFU that had to be ordered to recognize the new replacement shocks...all done under warranty. Ironhorse BMW did a great job keeping me informed during the process.

Mike
post #27 of 33 Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 10:23 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyGuy
My ESA went out on my 06RT. Took 5 weeks to get everything working again but the shop had to order a new $80k computer to read the new ZFU that had to be ordered to recognize the new replacement shocks...all done under warranty. Ironhorse BMW did a great job keeping me informed during the process.

Mike

Wow...that's what the service manager told me, that they were installing a new ZFE (whatever that is), and that it wouldn't recognize the new replacement shock. It seems like too many computer upgrades are not backwards compatible.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #28 of 33 Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 5:24 pm

No offence but this is very poor support on BMW or lack there of.

BMW should throw the Hi -Tech computers at the shop's so they can service the bikes . Precisely the reason why BMW can keep the ESA. The ESA is a rebuild nightmare.

Jack you deserve a new bike on this one.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #29 of 33 Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 5:36 pm

Quote:
Wow...that's what the service manager told me, that they were installing a new ZFE (whatever that is), and that it wouldn't recognize the new replacement shock. It seems like too many computer upgrades are not backwards compatible.
The ZFE is the CANBUS brain on the right side of the bike that replaces the fuse box.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #30 of 33 Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 8:11 pm Thread Starter

I'm learning a lot about this bike in the process, but not having much of a background in electronics (and none in computers) I am w...a...y behind on such things.

I do like the ESA enough to "press" for a solution from BMW and not settle for Ohlins or such. My bike only has 11K or so miles, so I want it fixed or replaced. From what I understand, the new shock has been changed/upgraded (ESAII) and now the "old" computer won't detect it.

They did change the computer (I saw the old one sitting in a box on the bike today). The main problem is that they (the shop) can't get a timely response from BMW on suggestions/fixes. The tech is a top-notch tech and the service department is doing all they can to get it fixed. We'll see.......

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #31 of 33 Old Nov 28th, 2008, 11:15 pm Thread Starter

Finally Fixed!!!!!

Today the dealership called and said that my GT was repaired and ready to go! It took quite a while but the job seems to have been done in an excellent manner mechanically. The new rear shock feels a LOT better. One of the major differences was that the bike seems to really "raise and lower" a lot more from preload setting to preload setting. It seems to sit just a touch taller at one rider than before. The bike feels "tighter" (in a better way) overall.

They installed a new, redesigned rear shock, a new ZFE (computer), and did all new software, finally getting the ZFE to "recognize" the new shock after the BMW regional tech sent them the needed information. It seems to be a common problem when changing the rear shock to the new design.

The repair was covered under warranty and the total was just over $3,500.00 Hats off to Bill and DeLong at Charlotte BMW Ducati for staying with it and seeing it through to the end!

Oh yeah, when they called to tell me it was ready, they also informed me that they found a nail in the center of the rear tire and that it was flat. Shoot...I guess I'll have to install that set of Dunlop Roadsmarts that have been sitting in my garage!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #32 of 33 Old Nov 30th, 2008, 8:26 am

Way to go, Jack. Always finding a silver lining.

Rich
post #33 of 33 Old Jun 24th, 2014, 3:38 am

Garage

Resurrecting an old thread, mine's in for exactly the same problem, and is having exactly the same problem

One heck of a teardown to get to the shock and so far over three weeks and it's still not talking to the ZFE. You'd think over the last few years BMW and the dealers would have worked these issues out by now?

Sigh

--
Steve Parry
Current fleet is
14 BMW R1200RT LE
07 BMW K1200GT SE
03 BMW R1100S BoxerCup
14 BMW F800GS
87 BMW R80RS
... oh and the 330Ci for suit days

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in