K1300 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 2:01 pm Thread Starter

Garage
K1300

Just had this in my email box

"BMW Announce New K1300 Series

BMW Motorrad has once again reaffirmed its position as a leading producer of high performance motorcycles.

With the launch of three significantly updated K-series models BMW Motorrad is continuing its philosophy of producing innovative and dynamic motorcycles that offer state-of-the-art technology with class-leading performance.

Whilst the three updated models share the same chassis and similar upgraded drivetrain they do in fact appeal to three distinct motorcycle
market sectors.

K 1300 S - The fastest motorcycle BMW Motorrad has ever produced, the K 1300 S is a top-of-the range hypersports bike combining blistering power with innovative technology to offer perfect everyday or long-distance riding qualities.

K 1300 R - A striking, muscular naked bike, with extremely high performance, is the most technically advanced in its class.

K 1300 GT - A fast, comfortable and supreme tourer, the GT is quite simply the best sports tourer BMW Motorrad has ever made.

The heart of these three models is the second-generation of BMW Motorrad’s four–cylinder power unit, which has been developed to give a significant increase in power and torque, whilst refining its tractability and usability. The new features of the engine are:

• New pistons, connecting rods and crankshaft

• Displacement increased by 136cc from 1,157cc to 1,293cc

• Increased capacity is achieved with larger cylinder bores and extended piston stroke.

• Maximum output is up 8hp (6kW) to 175hp (129kw) for the K 1200 S

• Maximum torque is up 7.4 ld-ft (10Nm) to (140Nm)

• Maximum power output is achieved at 9,250rpm, which is 1,000rpm lower than the previous model.

• New exhaust system design including an exhaust butterfly flap for more torque and sportier sound. To transmit this extra performance to the road safely the chassis set-up on the K 1300 S and R models have been stiffened as standard. In addition, all of the K-series offer new,
innovative suspension technology with the optional extra of the second generation of Electronic Suspension Adjustment (ESA II).

ESA II controls a wider range of suspension settings than the previous version. This advanced and unique arrangement is the world’s first on a motorcycle to carry out an automatic simultaneous adjustment of ride height, pre-load, spring rate and damper settings based on the machines loading. Following the system’s automatic adjustment the rider can then further tailor the suspension to a more comfortable or sporty setting, ensuring optimum handling for each individual rider.

All three models in the series have had styling make-overs to match their increased performance. Each model has exciting new style updates according to its class with detailed changes ranging from a new, slimmer upper cowl on the K 1300 S, to the aggressive new cockpit fairing on the K 1300 R, all of which add to a stylish design of each model.

The K 1300 GT benefits from protectors which have been integrated into the side sections to reduce the risk of damage should the machine
fall over.

For riders wanting even more high tech gadgetry, BMW Motorrad offers a full range of High Performance (HP) parts as seen on the HP2 Sport. These include a 2D Systems MotoGP-style dashboard, which offers additional display data in both road or race modes; and the Gearshift Assistant, which enables the rider to make clutchless upshifts whilst accelerating. Both items are available as a factory-fitted option for the K 1300 S and K 1300 R"

--
Steve Parry
Current fleet is
14 BMW R1200RT LE
07 BMW K1200GT SE
03 BMW R1100S BoxerCup
14 BMW F800GS
87 BMW R80RS
... oh and the 330Ci for suit days
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 6:58 pm

Re: K1300

OK, I'll say it: all the technology advances aside, the K1300GT in brown ("Sand Beige"?) looks fabulous. Strictly subjective, of course.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]

Last edited by hschisler; Oct 7th, 2008 at 7:04 pm.
post #3 of 27 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 7:44 pm

That beige is indeed tits, but I like the saddlebag protectors even better.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL

post #4 of 27 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 9:44 pm

see anything different????

Hint: turn signal

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #5 of 27 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 9:53 pm

Not just the turn signals, the reservoirs, and the instrument panel. The info display is twixt the speedo and tach on the 1200.

I think it sucks that they're doing away with the turn signal gear. One of the BMW guys at CCR said it would stay and that the moto mags would just have to get over it.

Also, look at the steering bridge. It will take a bit for aftermarket to catch up to that one. Looks like the adjustment is gone, too.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #6 of 27 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 10:03 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Also, look at the steering bridge. It will take a bit for aftermarket to catch up to that one. Looks like the adjustment is gone, too.
That looks like an S not a GT so the there is no adjustment. I HATE the Jap style turn signals though. too bad. Could that be the cockpit of the new 1000RR ? and not the K13S ?

EDIT: just found this on another site, definitely the new 13S -

http://bmwsuperbikes.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=38&t=9699

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

Last edited by Ted Shred; Oct 7th, 2008 at 10:09 pm.
post #7 of 27 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 10:04 pm

I agree with Grif on the turn signals. I have always felt that the BMW style switches were far superior to the cheap feel on most Japanese style ones. I like the instrument panel, but don't like the look of the new reservoirs. They may (?) work better...but to me, they don't look as "clean" as the old ones. And...I must say again...I absolutely HATE the area of the new emblem/air scoop on the side....just RUINS the lines of the fairing.

P.S. -- This does not seem to be a pic of the GT, but rather the S or something.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 27 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 10:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
That looks like an S not a GT so the there is no adjustment.
Oh.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #9 of 27 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 10:10 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Oh.

Good pics here -

http://bmwsuperbikes.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=38&t=9699

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #10 of 27 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 10:10 pm

That is the S.

Here is the GT

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #11 of 27 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 12:15 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbuttwannabe
That is the S.

Here is the GT

I wonder if the kept the semi-lame self canceling turn signals with the new setup? Also, I don't see a heated seat switch on the handlbar.

Honestly, the new setup, looks kinda on the cheap side to me. Gaps between brackets, buttons all over the place, the reservoirs just stuck up there. If they went to radial master cylinders for the clutch and brake it makes sense. but on the GT it just looks a bit cut-rate.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #12 of 27 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 3:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
Also, I don't see a heated seat switch on the handlbar.
It's on the right side above the kill switch. Looks like the heated grips are there, too.

You're sounding better

-=grif=-

Grok
post #13 of 27 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 8:38 am

It looks nice, but I'll keep mine. Al though I would like to get the bag protectors but I have not been able to locate them? I saw some on a GT while I was at Deals Gap but the guy bought the bike 2nd hand and did not know where them came from.

Jim
MSF Rider Coach

Haverhill, MA
66 R50/2
92 R100R
07 Silver KGT
post #14 of 27 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 10:44 am

Com'on lets face it, here in the UK we can only do 70mph(cough, cough) legally and we are the size of Montana with 70% more population! Crowded or what!. Over in the States, its either 55, 60, 65 or 70mph depending where you are and where the next state trooper is hiding. (Hint think like a sneaky bas*ard and you won't go far wrong) So very nice though it is I for one will not be changing for the sake of 5bhp more and a new bit of switchgear, whats the point? Unless of course they have finally produce a seat that stops the whine from the pillion, now that I would invest in! Oh and like the rest of the first world we are in a recession so watch this space for some real discounting of prices!
post #15 of 27 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 11:07 am
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankshot
It looks nice, but I'll keep mine. Al though I would like to get the bag protectors but I have not been able to locate them? I saw some on a GT while I was at Deals Gap but the guy bought the bike 2nd hand and did not know where them came from.
The bag protectors are a BMW part. $70 each side

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=39137

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #16 of 27 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 11:15 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
OK, I'll say it: all the technology advances aside, the K1300GT in brown ("Sand Beige"?) looks fabulous.
I hear that for '10, they're gonna do one in that piss yellow color.

I do like the blacked-out running gear though.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by meese; Oct 8th, 2008 at 11:26 am.
post #17 of 27 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 11:17 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
I've had those on my GT for over a year now. Same parts fit the R12RT bags. Oops, I see Ted has already linked to them.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #18 of 27 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 11:19 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW
In the new K models the new generation of switches for all coming BMW motorcycles has been introduced for the first time. Ergonomics have been optimised, space requirements have been reduced and MID technology* has been introduced. In short – the controls simply feel and look better.

*Moulded Interconnect Design, printed circuits in the switch unit instead of individual wiring.
Ah, so it's a cost and weight savings issue. Cheaper to produce, less space and weight, and less wiring. And maybe now the moto-journalists will stop ragging on those odd BMW turn signals. Whatever.

I'm still trying to find the high beam switch. Then again, who really rides in the dark anyway.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #19 of 27 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 1:41 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
Honestly, the new setup, looks kinda on the cheap side to me. Gaps between brackets, buttons all over the place, the reservoirs just stuck up there. If they went to radial master cylinders for the clutch and brake it makes sense. but on the GT it just looks a bit cut-rate.
But the biggest news is what this means for the rest of the line. Currently the LT, the GT and the RT have the old style switchgear and throttle unit. They were also the only bikes with cruise control, because they were the only ones with push-pull throttle cables. By going with the new switchgear on the GT and employing a push-pull throttle assembly, they are getting closer to being able to offer cruise control across the line - something the dealers as well as a lot of buyers have been asking for. I'll bet you'll see cruise control on the GS soon and eventually on the other r-bikes, k-bikes and even f-bikes.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #20 of 27 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 5:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
And...I must say again...I absolutely HATE the area of the new emblem/air scoop on the side....just RUINS the lines of the fairing.
Amen.

post #21 of 27 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 6:05 pm

I just glad I bought my K1200GT when I did. I like it much better than the K1300GT! And, the 1200GT will go much faster than I ever will!

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #22 of 27 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 7:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
I agree with Grif on the turn signals. I have always felt that the BMW style switches were far superior to the cheap feel on most Japanese style ones. I like the instrument panel, but don't like the look of the new reservoirs. They may (?) work better...but to me, they don't look as "clean" as the old ones. And...I must say again...I absolutely HATE the area of the new emblem/air scoop on the side....just RUINS the lines of the fairing.

P.S. -- This does not seem to be a pic of the GT, but rather the S or something.
Ditto:

I love the BMW turn signals and hate to see them fold to the magazine reviewers. The new resevoirs look like the one's on my GS.. Functional but ugly.

2018 R1200RT Mars Red
2017 R1200GS Rallye
2014 Husky FE501
post #23 of 27 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 7:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammick
I love the BMW turn signals
Going from the Japanese style to the BMW style took me all of 2 turns to get used to (the blast from the horn helped) Looks like going the other way will also involve a few left-turn-horn-blasts. Either way, its a combination of 1:what are you used to, and 2:individual rider preferences.

...Bob
2001 K1200LT der LadungsTräger
1978 GL1000
post #24 of 27 Old Oct 11th, 2008, 2:14 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian

F
I had the saddlebag protectors fitted when I picked up my K1200GT last year.

--
Steve Parry
Current fleet is
14 BMW R1200RT LE
07 BMW K1200GT SE
03 BMW R1100S BoxerCup
14 BMW F800GS
87 BMW R80RS
... oh and the 330Ci for suit days
post #25 of 27 Old Oct 11th, 2008, 8:51 pm

How do the bag protectors install? Sticky tape or real hardware?

Thanks,

Jim
MSF Rider Coach

Haverhill, MA
66 R50/2
92 R100R
07 Silver KGT
post #26 of 27 Old Oct 11th, 2008, 8:55 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankshot
How do the bag protectors install? Sticky tape or real hardware?

Thanks,
Sticky tape

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #27 of 27 Old Oct 13th, 2008, 5:59 pm

Now.. if they can only get the power through the clutch to the wonderful old style rear drive..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in