Draw on battery - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Sep 30th, 2008, 10:32 pm Thread Starter

Draw on battery

Since this is GT specific, I'm posting it here instead of "Batteries, Electrical, Etc.". I have a Battery Tender Plus - Gel and a power plug direct to the battery for maintenance charging. I've notice that if I leave the GT unplugged for 30-60 mins, it take the BT Plus several hours to recharged the battery back to full charge (green light). Also, I've notice when I've come in from a ride, that the battery is not fully charged and is usually in the >90% charged range (blinking green light). Is this normal? It seems to me that the battery should be fully charged if I've been riding the bike, other than the time it take for the Canbus to shut down.

When I first got the bike the battery light would come on a few time while idiling at red lights. A couple of times, it seems hesitant to turn over, but did. I said something about this at the 600 miles service and the mechanic found the negative ground was not tight and tightened it. I've really not noticed the light come on or the hesitation since then, but it seems the battery discharges fairly rapidly when not connected to the BT-Plus. Don't know if this is problem or not, but concerned because I had it disconnected for about an hour and the BT has been charging for about 3-4 hours and it's still blinking green.

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Sep 30th, 2008, 10:47 pm

Re: Draw on battery

The new GT has a MONSTER alternator (940 watts) ... but unfortunately, BMW did not equip the bike with the greatest of OEM battery IMHO. I don't think you have any cause for concern at this time. But sometime down the road, you should invest in that Odyssey battery that everyone raves about. If I was keeping my GT, I'd be buying one next Spring.
post #3 of 29 Old Sep 30th, 2008, 10:55 pm

Agree with Joe...I stored mine all winter with no batt tender and it cranked right up. You don't have any of those farkles running directly off the batt do you? If you leave them on, you will get a drain.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #4 of 29 Old Sep 30th, 2008, 11:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Agree with Joe...I stored mine all winter with no batt tender and it cranked right up. You don't have any of those farkles running directly off the batt do you? If you leave them on, you will get a drain.
Nope, everthing is hooked to the switched fuse block. I was ready the owners manual and it sound like some circuit might be on it the bike if the key is not in the locked position. I usually leave mine unlocked since I keep in it the garage with the key in it.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #5 of 29 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 11:42 am

Hi Dick,

Mine does the same and I have all my electronics running from a switch power source. I checked for a current draw and found none. It maybe like everyone is saying and it's just a poor choice in a battery. But just like the good Pastor I left mine of the charger all winter and it fired up with just a couple of cranks.

Cheers,

Jim
MSF Rider Coach

Haverhill, MA
66 R50/2
92 R100R
07 Silver KGT
post #6 of 29 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 1:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankshot
Hi Dick,

Mine does the same and I have all my electronics running from a switch power source. I checked for a current draw and found none. It maybe like everyone is saying and it's just a poor choice in a battery. But just like the good Pastor I left mine of the charger all winter and it fired up with just a couple of cranks.

Cheers,
This morning when I went to check on the Battery Tender, it was still blinking green (should have been solid green by then). I called Deltran and they said something must be wrong in the Battery Tender Plus circuit and to send it to them and they would replace it. I've not been having good luck with electronic devices lately. Zumo went Kaput after 9 days and I had to do the same with it.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #7 of 29 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 1:24 pm

Can you try it on another bike?
On my LT it will go to solid green after a while but my GS only goes as far as a flashing green.

Keith

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #8 of 29 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 1:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk610lt
Can you try it on another bike?
On my LT it will go to solid green after a while but my GS only goes as far as a flashing green.

Keith
Don't have another bike to try it on. Until last night it would alway go to green and stay there. It would usually blink for 10-15 mins after I connected it to the bike. The lady at Deltran said it takes that long for the charger to cycle through it's program and that it was abnormal for it to blink for 10 hours on a charged battery. I'll guess they'll test it when they get it and send it back if it's OK or replace it if it's not. I UPS'ed it to them today.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #9 of 29 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 5:06 pm

I've had similar issues with the stock battery. It seems a little underpowered in terms of being able to deliver current needed to start a hot bike. I've never had a problem starting when it's cold, but when it's hot I've occasionally had cranking problems and the accessory circuit (powering the GPS) shuts down briefly. The battery voltage was always good, showing 12.4 to 12.6 volts when I turn on the key.

I also talked with my dealer and had a bunch of diagnostics done. They found the alternator was strong, and the battery passed all the load tests. After some back and forth I persuaded them to replace the OEM battery under warranty, and things are better with the new battery but I still occasionally get a GPS reset when starting a warm bike.

I've got the stupidly expensive BMW charger rather than the Battery Tender, but I don't actually plug it in very often. When I do it also takes a while before it goes to green, showing the battery fully charged, even right after riding the bike. I always just chalked it up to the charger having to run its cycle before entering "trickle charge" mode.

Many others have recommended an aftermarket battery (Odyssey) which will provide more cranking power and presumably eliminate the hard start when hot problem. That's what I'll try next if the OEM battery starts to get worse again. I expect it would otherwise show the same behavior on the charger.
post #10 of 29 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 6:03 pm
fas

Talking Re: Draw on battery

Joe is right. BMW OEM battery has a nasty habit of going down fast, even if you have the best BMW trickle setup. Sills (my dealership) replaced two batteries for me under warranty.

And don't write about leaving your key in your new GT in your garage. Joe might drop in, take it for a ride to CA, and blow out your rear drive... He does not drop bikes. He blows them up...

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #11 of 29 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 7:40 pm

I do generally store mine with key in...but in the locked position. A learned habit from the LT! If you left that sucker in ANY position for more than a couple of weeks, it was dead as a hammer.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #12 of 29 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 9:50 pm

There's likely a difference between the alternator's voltage regulator setpoint, and the Battery Tender's float setpoint. So when you get back from a ride and immediately hook up the BT, IT indicates the battery is not fully charged when in fact the battery is fine. Quite frankly, I don't understand why you hook up the battery to the charger the second you get home. I ride my bike every Friday to work, and if I can't ride it for a few weeks, then I'll throw the charger on it overnight where it charges at a rate of 2 to 5 amps until the battery voltage and current trips the charger off. I can appreciate the concept of the battery tender, but I wouldn't get too concerned about BT indicating less than 100% charge upon return from riding.
post #13 of 29 Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 8:28 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectSwitch
There's likely a difference between the alternator's voltage regulator setpoint, and the Battery Tender's float setpoint. So when you get back from a ride and immediately hook up the BT, IT indicates the battery is not fully charged when in fact the battery is fine. Quite frankly, I don't understand why you hook up the battery to the charger the second you get home. I ride my bike every Friday to work, and if I can't ride it for a few weeks, then I'll throw the charger on it overnight where it charges at a rate of 2 to 5 amps until the battery voltage and current trips the charger off. I an appreciate the concept of the battery tender, but I wouldn't get too concerned about BT indicating less than 100% charge upon return from riding.
Now that I'm getting older, I have to do things when I think about them or I'm liable to forget to do it. I think I will be riding the GT much more often than the LT, but I would go for up to 6 weeks without riding my LT. So, I got in the habit of hooking up the BT everytime I returned from a ride.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #14 of 29 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 6:14 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re:Deltran

Well, I called Deltran about my 2 weeks old Battery Tender Plus which was acting funny. I think the pizza delivery man stepped on it. I called Deltran and told them about it. They lady just said: "Pack it up, send it to us, and we'll send you a new one". She also gave me the website address of a company close to me that could provide me with a 12' BMW extension power cord, so I wouldn't have to leave the BT sitting in the middle of the garage floor. She said I could get it from them for less than she could send it to me because Deltran had a higher minimum for shipping. I sent the BT back to them last Wednesday and received a brand new one today. Now that's excellent customer service!

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #15 of 29 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 7:33 pm

Hey Doc,

It sounded earlier like you have your tender hooked directly to the battery. Is this the case? And is so, why would there need to be a 12' BMW specific extension cord??? I have heard of several folks having a problem if they used a BMW style connector.

But...I bet you have that extra powerlet wired directly to the battery, don't ya?

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #16 of 29 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 10:27 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Hey Doc,

It sounded earlier like you have your tender hooked directly to the battery. Is this the case? And is so, why would there need to be a 12' BMW specific extension cord??? I have heard of several folks having a problem if they used a BMW style connector.

But...I bet you have that extra powerlet wired directly to the battery, don't ya?
I meant to say BMW style. It's a 12' cord with the Gerbing style two prong adaptors on both ends. It plugs into the BMW male adaptor cord that I plug into to power socket connected directly to the battery. They other end connects to the 4' cord on the BT giving me 16' of cord from the charger to the bike.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #17 of 29 Old Oct 10th, 2008, 1:18 pm Thread Starter

Re: Must have a bad battery

Well, the brand new Battery Tender Plus which Deltran sent me still will not show a full charge after 48 hours. Talked with them again and they said there has to be something going on with the bike.

Called BMW ATL and talked with Paul who told me it's probably the BMW Gel battery and to bring it back and they'll replace it with an Odyssey Battery! Wow, now that it just plain ole down right good ole country small town service. I gotta tell ya, BMW of Atlanta is a wonderfull dealership. I'll not go into all the other things they've done for me, cuz if you been readin' the site for long, you'll know.

If you live anywhere close to Atlanta, you should be using BMW of Atlanta.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #18 of 29 Old Oct 10th, 2008, 1:41 pm

After putting in the new O2 Sensor, which cured the flat spots in my fueling map and some surging, I slapped it on the GS-911. It showed an under current fault, which I cleared. I haven't put the GS-911 on it since putting the new Odyssey in it. The gel battery just isn't up to snuff for these bikes. You'll be surprised how it turns over.

Also, you need to get a Datel Digital Voltmeter.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #19 of 29 Old Oct 10th, 2008, 1:55 pm

I installed this...

www.lascarelectronics.com

post #20 of 29 Old Oct 10th, 2008, 4:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
After putting in the new O2 Sensor, which cured the flat spots in my fueling map and some surging, I slapped it on the GS-911. It showed an under current fault, which I cleared. I haven't put the GS-911 on it since putting the new Odyssey in it. The gel battery just isn't up to snuff for these bikes. You'll be surprised how it turns over.

Also, you need to get a Datel Digital Voltmeter.
Thanks Grif,
Where did you mount yours?

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #21 of 29 Old Oct 10th, 2008, 4:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectSwitch
I installed this...

www.lascarelectronics.com

Thanks,
I'll take a look at it.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #22 of 29 Old Oct 10th, 2008, 4:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWDOC
Thanks Grif,
Where did you mount yours?
If I had it to do over I would put it high up on the inner fairing. Direct sun washes it out, which hasn't been a problem, really. It is fun watching the numbers change with use of blinkers, etc.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #23 of 29 Old Oct 13th, 2008, 11:03 pm

OK, which Odyssey battery fits the GT? I had one occasion (only once) when the bike didn't want to crank on the first try (hot engine).

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #24 of 29 Old Oct 14th, 2008, 6:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_menton
OK, which Odyssey battery fits the GT? I had one occasion (only once) when the bike didn't want to crank on the first try (hot engine).

- Bob
Damn newbies asking the same question over and over again

It's a PC680 (as found in the HoW on www.k-bikes.com) you can use the MJ version, if you wish.

The two rubber spacers on the hold down come off, or you can shim it.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #25 of 29 Old Oct 14th, 2008, 4:59 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_menton

- Bob
Hi Bob,

Grif's right about the battery. BMW ATL just changed my 4 week old BMW Gel battery today, under warranty, to the Odyssey PC680. It is smaller than the BMW battery, however. It has about a 1/4" of loose room on two sides. We just put some cardboard shims in there so it wouldn't flop around. I'm going to cut some styrofoam shims to replace the cardboard. I don't know if water will get into the battery box or not, but I don't want soggy cardboard hanging around in there.

Here's a link for the battery:

http://www.batterymart.com/c-bmw-k1200lt-battery.html

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #26 of 29 Old Oct 14th, 2008, 6:38 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
It's a PC680 (as found in the HoW on www.k-bikes.com) you can use the MJ version, if you wish.
Ok, but where's the best place to buy one?

I had my battery go dead once (I was working on the bike the day before), and I've had the hard-starting-when-hot happen twice now. Time for a new battery before I get stranded on this bike (again).

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #27 of 29 Old Oct 14th, 2008, 7:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Ok, but where's the best place to buy one?
I'm not sure if you're serious... or not. But West Coast Battery has always been good to me. Good folks, nice, friendly and knowledgable. You can even talk to them on the phone if you have questions. Did I mention best price, too?

-=grif=-

Grok
post #28 of 29 Old Oct 15th, 2008, 6:34 am Thread Starter

Re:Original battery was bad.

BMW ATL replaced my BMW gel battery with an Odyssey PC680, yesterday, even though the BMW battery past the load test. However, there still must have been something wrong with it, as I hooked up the Battery Tender Plus to the Odyessy yesterday afternoon when I got home. It blinked green for 8 hours, then turned solid green like it's suppose to. The last two times I left the BMW battery hooked up for over 72 hours and the BT never quit blinking green.

BMW ATL rocks!

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #29 of 29 Old Oct 15th, 2008, 7:59 am

Alright Dick, glad you got it all figured out now. Battery problems are tough to figure out.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in