Who hated their GT at first? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Sep 30th, 2008, 9:12 pm Thread Starter

Who hated their GT at first?

My 2006 fully loaded GT was delivered today. It has 3,400 miles and has the original airbox. I rode it about 20 miles after delivery and took it pretty easy because I did not know what the tire pressures were and did not have a guage.

This bike is jerky, clunky and has terrible throttle response. It is truly a chore to ride.

I have been researching and it seem that after people have the new airbox and software installed their bike is transformed.

I never had a chance to ride mine before purchasing but what I cannot understand is how people fall in love with this bike when they test ride it (assuming a bike with older airbox and software).

I am hoping the airbox and software fix everything because my wife and I were planning on taking this bike on our fall trip to West Virginia but there is no way I am putting up the bucking bike syndrome while two up for 3k miles.

I miss all of my prior BMW bikes compared to the new GT. Hell I even my FJR1300 compared to the GT.

Please tell me things will get better with this bike.

2018 R1200RT Mars Red
2017 R1200GS Rallye
2014 Husky FE501
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Sep 30th, 2008, 9:19 pm

Re: Who hated their GT at first?

Things will get MUCH better! My problem wasn't the throttle issue, but ergonomics and the seat. Took about a thousand miles and WOW.....

I must admit that the "ON/OFF" feeling of the throttle did take some getting used to at first. One day, pulling into a parking lot, my right hand slipped and beore I knew it, that sucker was just about going through the bushes.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 27 Old Sep 30th, 2008, 9:21 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Yes, it will get better, but you may have to work at it a bit.

Get the latest airbox and software under warranty (unless you're over 36K already). Get the latest cam chain tensioner. Have them check for the oil filler cap and center stand Service Bulletins. Also have them check the zip ties on the brake pad sensor wires. If you still have hesitation and flat spots after all that, then change the O2 sensor out.

Then just Ride It Like You Stole It and don't look back.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 27 Old Sep 30th, 2008, 9:25 pm

I test rode one at the dealer before I bought mine used. I never gave the twitchy throttle much thought. I was coming off 1986 technology and just figured I'd have to get used to the power of the beast. Over time (maybe a couple of weeks) I began to learn how to control the twitchiness using the clutch and pretty soon it was no big deal any more.

I have to admit, I was beginning to wonder if I'd made a big mistake with this bike, but now........geez, I just can't seem to ride it enough! I really have grown to love this thing.

The new airbox really did a great job of the low speed herky-jerky thing, but it also killed the really neat part - the snap it had when you roll on the throttle at 70 (or 80, or 90, or .......). To tell the truth, right now I wish I had the old airbox back, but I guess I'll get used to this setup pretty soon, too.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #5 of 27 Old Sep 30th, 2008, 9:27 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese

Get the latest airbox and software under warranty (unless you're over 36K already). Get the latest cam chain tensioner. Have them check for the oil filler cap and center stand Service Bulletins. Also have them check the zip ties on the brake pad sensor wires. If you still have hesitation and flat spots after all that, then change the O2 sensor out.

Then just Ride It Like You Stole It and don't look back.
I am under warranty until May of 2009 and have already spoken with my dealer about the airbox and software. They have to test ride it first to see if needs it.

Is the cam chain tensioner a TSB? What does it fix and what should I compain about to make sure I get it?

My VIN indicates I need the oil filler cap and center stand bulletins.

Thanks for the replies guys.

At least I got a great deal on this bike so it shouldn't be hard to sell if I don't end up enjoying it.

2018 R1200RT Mars Red
2017 R1200GS Rallye
2014 Husky FE501
post #6 of 27 Old Sep 30th, 2008, 9:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammick
My 2006 fully loaded GT was delivered today. It has 3,400 miles and has the original airbox. I rode it about 20 miles after delivery and took it pretty easy because I did not know what the tire pressures were and did not have a guage.

This bike is jerky, clunky and has terrible throttle response. It is truly a chore to ride.

I have been researching and it seem that after people have the new airbox and software installed their bike is transformed.

I never had a chance to ride mine before purchasing but what I cannot understand is how people fall in love with this bike when they test ride it (assuming a bike with older airbox and software).

I am hoping the airbox and software fix everything because my wife and I were planning on taking this bike on our fall trip to West Virginia but there is no way I am putting up the bucking bike syndrome while two up for 3k miles.

I miss all of my prior BMW bikes compared to the new GT. Hell I even my FJR1300 compared to the GT.

Please tell me things will get better with this bike.
I don't know much about the air box thang, because mine a 2008. My new 2008 GT seemed to shift clunky when I first got it 2 weeks ago, but I have since put 1200 miles on it and guess I've learned to shift it properly, cuz the clunky shifts seem to have disappeared. They seemed to be worse with shifts between 2k and 3k, but above 4k it's automatic. Get it in the 6-9K range and it's hydrooooooooomatic! You will also rapidly be in the "blue light special" speedo range. Loved mine from the start and showed it to the Highway Patrol the second day I rode it.

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #7 of 27 Old Sep 30th, 2008, 9:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWDOC
I don't know much about the air box thang, because mine a 2008. My new 2008 GT seemed to shift clunky when I first got it 2 weeks ago, but I have since put 1200 miles on it and guess I've learned to shift it properly, cuz the clunky shifts seem to have disappeared. They seemed to be worse with shifts between 2k and 3k, but above 4k it's automatic. Get it in the 6-9K range and it's hydrooooooooomatic! You will also rapidly be in the "blue light special" speedo range. Loved mine from the start and showed it to the Highway Patrol the second day I rode it.

Again Doc....You are having TOO MUCH FUN!!!!! I'm stuck home with a kidney stone!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #8 of 27 Old Sep 30th, 2008, 9:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Again Doc....You are having TOO MUCH FUN!!!!! I'm stuck home with a kidney stone!
Darn Rev, I hope you passes that thang soon. Them thangs cause sum shore-enough real bad pain! Wurse than havin' a baby. Get yurself one of them Morphine pumps ifin' use's in that thar hospital. It'll make yur life much more easier until you give birth to that little critter.

Gotta tell ya Jack, this here semi-retired stuff can grow on ya in a hurry.

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #9 of 27 Old Sep 30th, 2008, 10:23 pm

Quote:

HOLY CRAP!!! That post is enough top scare anyone away from a new GT! Dag!!! I didn't have to do anything to my GT for it to run great, right outta the box. I've only had one firmware update since purchasing, and that made it just a tad closer to mere perfection.
post #10 of 27 Old Sep 30th, 2008, 10:24 pm

Quote:
I'm stuck home with a kidney stone!
Ya see what happens when you mess with me??? Jesus don't like it when you mess with His chosen ones.
post #11 of 27 Old Sep 30th, 2008, 10:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Jesus don't like it when you mess with His chosen ones.

Oh, so that's reason that YOU'RE selling your GT and I'm keeping mine. Divine retribution!

And Joe....you ain't no Christian!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #12 of 27 Old Sep 30th, 2008, 11:49 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
I am under warranty until May of 2009 and have already spoken with my dealer about the airbox and software. They have to test ride it first to see if needs it.

Is the cam chain tensioner a TSB? What does it fix and what should I compain about to make sure I get it?

My VIN indicates I need the oil filler cap and center stand bulletins.

Thanks for the replies guys.

At least I got a great deal on this bike so it shouldn't be hard to sell if I don't end up enjoying it.
Call bullshit on the dealer for the test ride. The airbox stuff was covered under a service bulletin IIRC. If your bike is in the range it should be replaced no questions asked.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #13 of 27 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 8:08 am

My 2007 GT was a great bike from the day I bought it. It was difficult for me to adjust to the twitchy throttle and overly strong engine braking, but it was still the best bike I ever rode. Some riders adjusted easily and really like it.

The software upgrade smoothed out the throttle and reduced engine braking to the level that I like. In my opinion, I traded smoothness for knock-your-socks-off acceleration. Don't get me wrong, the bike is still very fast, so it was a good tradeoff for me.

If you decide to get the software upgrade, be sure to get the airbox replaced, to avoid any future potential of High Idle / Bucking Bronco Syndrome - HI/BBS. If you replace the airbox, you must get the software upgrade, but not visa-versa.

The software upgrade and airbox replacement made my GT into something more rideable for me. It was a great bike when I bought it; these changes made it even better.

P.S.
Jack - I hope it passes quickly. Feel better soon.
post #14 of 27 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 12:12 pm

I also loved the GT from my first test drive, and loved my own '07 GT from the first ride home. 1 year and 14K miles later and I'm still loving it. (Want proof? Here's a post I wrote back in May called "I love this bike!")

I've never experienced a twitchy throttle or high idle. You might want to do the throttle position sensor reset steps and see if that helps. The service guys should also be test riding your bike after a service, and they should notice if there's something out of whack with the throttle. I'm still on the original airbox and software -- if it ain't broke... the only common problem I've had is the brake pad warning light sensor wire has broken 3 times, and my gas gauge sensor strip went bad. All corrected by the dealer under warranty, no charge.

Maybe some of it isn't just getting used to the massive horsepower that the K1200 engine produces. My last bike was a Kawasaki GPZ 1100, jetted etc. to 125 HP, so I was already comfortable with lots of power. The 150+ HP from the GT was still a nice step up. When I get on a smaller bike now I feel like it's slushy and unresponsive. Even my GPZ (I haven't sold it yet, d'oh!) feels a little slushy now.

Last edited by bonafidebob; Oct 1st, 2008 at 12:18 pm.
post #15 of 27 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 4:35 pm

That twitchie throttle and odd to me clutch engagement position made be feel clumsy on my new 08GT. Now, after 3,000 miles 75% of my shifts are smooth and I hardly ever drive into the back wall of my garage anymore.

The stock tall windshield was too small for a touring bike and too big for a sport bike. Since I like to take long cruises at speed I went for larger shield. I'd have to say that the GT is more sport than touring no matter how farkelized.

The seat felt good initially but now seems uncomfortable. I thought having the bars adjusted up all the way would be more comfortable but learned that with them down I am out of the wind more and my wrists are getting stronger.

I hated the location of the BC button, every time I hit it I wind the throttle up and scare myself or I have to use my left hand to reach over and tap it. I've pretty much stopped using it and just leave the temperature display on most of the time. I likes the LT location of the BC button better(clutch side).

The footpegs are too high for me and cramp my legs, but a lowering kit will reduce cornering clearance. My 59 year old legs are not getting used to the peg location.

My wife won't ride with me on the back of the GT since she feels too exposed compared to the LT. I bought the 49 liter topcase for her to lean back on and she liked that but isn't happy out there in the breeze...don't know if that's a + or a - ......

The bike is way too smooth and fast on the highway and in the twisties. I'm getting used to the power and high speed cornering ability but will certainly get more speeding tickets. I can live with that.

Laurence Hendrick

2008 K1200GT, Dark Graphite (Oh my, so fast!)
2005 LT Ocean Blue (Sold and comfort will be missed, but not the weight)
post #16 of 27 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 11:24 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
I didn't have to do anything to my GT for it to run great, right outta the box.
IIRC, you also didn't bother changing the final drive fluid and thus lost a final drive in the middle of the desert. Sure things happen, but BMW needs to be responsible for questionable designs. That's one way we force them to take care of problems and thus make the bikes better each year.

I guess it's just the engineer in me that understands how these sorts of things work and expects BMW to hold up their end of the bargain. Love the bike, hate the company.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by meese; Oct 1st, 2008 at 11:32 pm.
post #17 of 27 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 11:30 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Is the cam chain tensioner a TSB? What does it fix and what should I complain about to make sure I get it?
Don't know a TSB number for the cam chain tensioner, it may just be in the dealer PUMA database. The symptoms are rattling at startup and at idle, especially if slowing down after a run at speed (like coming to a stop light).

Basically, the original cam chain tensioner was just a spring and a flat plate, and it tends to be oil-starved when the engine is just started or is at idle. The new part has a tall cylinder that acts as an oil reservoir which allows the tensioner to have plenty of oil on hand right at startup. It's a $100 part, and my noise completely went away and hasn't come back in 18K miles. Mine was done under warranty, but again it seems to depend on the relationship you have with your dealer.

As for the airbox, check post #37 in this thread.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #18 of 27 Old Oct 1st, 2008, 11:33 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Jesus don't like it when you mess with His chosen ones.
Quote:
Divine retribution!

And Joe....you ain't no Christian!
Jeez, does everything have to devolve into a religious thread?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #19 of 27 Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 7:32 pm

I immediately felt as though I made a mistake when I brought the GT home. I can relate to all the complaints you mentioned. The complaints you have are valid and become more or less relative depending on what you are comparing the GT with. In my case, the smoother transmission, smoother throttle delivery and more comfortable ergos of my old RT made it an almost impossible expectation for my GT to ever live up to.

However, I would stick with the GT and try and address your complaints. After I added bar risers, peg lowering kit, taller windshield, etc. the GT became easier to live with. Also, shifting the GT is an aquired skill. Try preloading the shifter and only engaging the clutch 1/2 way; moreover, shift as fast as possible and all of this will translate into a smoother shift.

I eventually bailed on the GT and went back to an RT, and couldn't be happier. The GT is a great bike, but it isn't for everyone. Only time and due dilligence will tell.
post #20 of 27 Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 9:16 pm

Quote:
Jeez, does everything have to devolve into a religious thread?

YES

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #21 of 27 Old Oct 4th, 2008, 10:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
Call bullshit on the dealer for the test ride. The airbox stuff was covered under a service bulletin IIRC. If your bike is in the range it should be replaced no questions asked.
David;

I am also having a problem with a dealer volunteering to do the airbox upgrade on my 06' that only has 7,400 miles. Mine is under warranty until 5/09. The tech volunteered to upgrade the cam chain adjuster after hearing the motor at startup. It has been in the shop for about 2 weeks now because of a clicking noise in the FD when it heats up. I paid a visit to the dealer on Friday to check on the progress and I was advised that they could not find anything wrong and had reassembled the FD. They are to test drive it next to see if the noise still exists. I have complained 3 times now about the hesitation in the throttle...with no success. I have only owned it since Aug 15th and it is on it's 3rd visit to the dealer.

What is the issue with zip tying the brake wire sensor?
post #22 of 27 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 7:44 pm

Quote:
Things will get MUCH better! My problem wasn't the throttle issue, but ergonomics and the seat. Took about a thousand miles and WOW.....(snip)
Are you saying that you got used to the seat after 1,000 miles or that you replaced it with an aftermarket seat?

I just picked up a new '08 GT last week (replaced my 1150 RT) and love it! Seat could be more comfortable and, after reading this post - expect it to be after 1,000 miles.

Curt
post #23 of 27 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 10:51 am

All you have to tell hte dealer is the bike "stumbles, twitches and jerks". That's all that is needed for the dealer to replace the airbox under warranty. he does not have to test ride it first. it is in a TSB from BMW.
I did mine this past year and it makes a world of difference. I did get a used Rich Mayer seat to replace the OEM brick. I have become to really like this machine...

Larry
2009 Deep Blue K1300GT
post #24 of 27 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 6:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
All you have to tell hte dealer is the bike "stumbles, twitches and jerks". That's all that is needed for the dealer to replace the airbox under warranty. he does not have to test ride it first. it is in a TSB from BMW.
The dealer is supposed to verify ALL complaints prior to doing warranty work...including the high idle / stumbling. A test ride is absolutely necessary for this issue. Do not be pissed at the dealer if they insist on this step. There are a bunch of reasons for this. BMW is VERY good about covering verified issues. BMW does NOT like to foot the bill for non verified customer "requests." Let's be honest with ourselves...an already expensive bike would be even more so if BMW paid for each of these requests.

I can assure you that some well meaning customers walk into service departments with "scripts" printed from the Internet.

BMW's method is: the customer has a Complaint. The service dept verifies the complaint and determines the Cause. The technician performs the appropriate Correction. AKA...the "three Cs."
post #25 of 27 Old Oct 10th, 2008, 9:35 am Thread Starter

I just spoke with my dealer. Test ride is complete and I am getting a new airbox and the cam chain tensioner fix.

Mine is an early '06 model and I can tell you it has legitimate problems that hopefully will all be taken care of.

2018 R1200RT Mars Red
2017 R1200GS Rallye
2014 Husky FE501
post #26 of 27 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 4:35 pm

I have a new to me 06 GT with 15K on the ticker. Has not had the air box update but seems to run fine, at least for me. From the posts I read I think I'll keep the old one. Love this bike. BTW, it also is a early 06.
post #27 of 27 Old Oct 19th, 2008, 9:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
but it also killed the really neat part - the snap it had when you roll on the throttle at 70 (or 80, or 90, or .......). To tell the truth, right now I wish I had the old airbox back, but I guess I'll get used to this setup pretty soon, too.
It wasn't the airbox that did it, it was the new software load. But we know how to fix that now, don't we (throttle stop mod).
I haven't done the mod yet, but I would bet that the bike will have more "snap" than it did before the software update was done. According to Chuck, after the mod is done, one best hang on tight when twisting the throttle below 7k rpm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in