Just had my 36K service done - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 28th, 2008, 9:15 am Thread Starter

Just had my 36K service done

All is well. Valves are still well within spec and the final drive looks good. They changed out the airbox as well. I'm not too sure about that new airbox just yet. It has definitely smoothed out the low speed controlability, but it just doesn't seem to have the same pop to it when I hit the throttle at 70 to pass people.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 28th, 2008, 10:06 am

Re: Just had my 36K service done

Why change out the airbox? Isn't it just a huge plastic box that holds the air cleaner?

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #3 of 9 Old Sep 28th, 2008, 11:41 am
Super Moderator

They are a bit more than just a plastic box. Thsy are actually tuned to flow air in a particular way into the injectors. There were problems with the early ones causing some serious wonkiness with throttle response so BMW redesigned it and is replacing them under a service bulletin.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #4 of 9 Old Sep 28th, 2008, 11:42 am Thread Starter

Not exactly. It's chock full of sensors and a pesky cable that sticks causing high idle and a somewhat snatchy throttle at low speeds. I decided to go ahead and do it whilst still under warranty just in case that high idle thiing occurred after my warranty expired. And the way my luck runs, that's what would have happened.

Marshall, Tx

post #5 of 9 Old Sep 28th, 2008, 1:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
..Valves are still well within spec...
I'm sure they've been checked before, but have your valves ever been adjusted in 36,000 miles?

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #6 of 9 Old Sep 28th, 2008, 2:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_menton
I'm sure they've been checked before, but have your valves ever been adjusted in 36,000 miles?

- Bob
Nope!

Marshall, Tx

post #7 of 9 Old Sep 28th, 2008, 5:47 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_menton
Mine have never needed an adjustment in 70K miles. Too bad, as I was kinda looking forward to the whole experience.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 9 Old Sep 29th, 2008, 10:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
They are a bit more than just a plastic box. Thsy are actually tuned to flow air in a particular way into the injectors. There were problems with the early ones causing some serious wonkiness with throttle response so BMW redesigned it and is replacing them under a service bulletin.
I knew it was more than a simple box... Was wondering how one could "wear out" and need to be replaced. I can see a design flaw causing it to be bad.

What years are being replaced, and must the bike be under warranty?

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #9 of 9 Old Sep 29th, 2008, 11:26 am Thread Starter

It's not that they're wearing out, it's more of a slight design flaw I think. From what I'm reading, the GT is more susceptible to high idle and snatchy throttle because of all the plastic they wear. The problem is there on the S and R bikes, but not as prononuced because less plastic means more air flow, so the engine heat buildup must be causing parts to expand - some faster than others. There are several posts on this:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showth...ghlight=fettle

Does it need to be replaced under warranty? I would think so.

Not all bikes are experiencing the problem. Mine was just a stumble when running in the heat. I especially noticed it in stop and go driving in 100+ weather. I just mentioned it to the service guy and he suggested the airbox. I never did see a high idle, but with my luck the minute the warranty expired I would've had the issue and would've had to pay for it.

Marshall, Tx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in