My Gt Ruins Rear Tires!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 9:36 pm Thread Starter

My Gt Ruins Rear Tires!!!

I have been running a set of Avom Storms and love the tires, but today I looked at the rear and it is gettting thin in the center and it only has 3,000k on it. I MAY get another thousand out of it if I baby it.

Now...I know I ride fast, but this is ridiculous!

Anyone else getting this kind of mileage.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 9:47 pm

Re: My Gt Ruins Rear Tires!!!

Better order a new tire now Jack, next month tires will be an extra $100 with the way we are getting gouged at the moment with gas.
post #3 of 43 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 12:15 am
Super Moderator

Wow! Glad I went with the Pilot Road 2s. I've got 4000 on mine (not too many easy ones in there, either) including the trip to and around CCR and they look like they'll go another 3-4K at least. I almost bought the Avons before CCR, I would have been out of tire before I got home!

If you're looking to replace them soon I can highly recommend the PR2s. They stick like crazy and feel great. The dual compound really works like magic.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 43 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 6:55 am

Confusing... I've gotten 5K to 6.2K out of all of my rear tires. And I don't ride like some limp-wristed preacher boy.

Hey! Wait a minute! Maybe this is why you're getting the crappy mileage!

post #5 of 43 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 7:25 am

Huge second on the PR2's. We really worked the hard on the CCR trip, over 4 thousand miles and they're still looking great.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #6 of 43 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 7:43 am

I think that's about all I got out of the Conti Road Attack. I'm having MUCH better luck with the Dunlop RoadSmarts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #7 of 43 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 10:18 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Confusing... I've gotten 5K to 6.2K out of all of my rear tires. And I don't ride like some limp-wristed preacher boy.

Hey! Wait a minute! Maybe this is why you're getting the crappy mileage!

Well there's your problem right there!

If you're smoking up the rear tire while ripping the Dragon, do you really have to ask why your tires are wearing out??

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #8 of 43 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 5:17 pm

Joe that is an awsome turn. I'm surprised the front wasn't cranked right dirt track style. Maybe that was the next frame.

I got exactly 3K out of an Avon Storm rear until it hit the wear bars. Rather than burn it down to nothing, and since I was leaving to ride the 3 flags, I replaced it with a Dunlop Roadsmart which not only worked great but is showing little wear after 4K. I am not normally a dunny dunny guy, but it seems the dual compound really does work well even in the wet and I can say they stick great in the dry.

The Storm front now has 7K on it and is toast. It is past the bars, vibrates at speed and is cupped on both sides, worse on the left.

My last Avon was on a Cagiva Gran Canyon and I got 500 miles out of the rear so this is a reminder of why I usually buy mich/dun/metz or pirelli.
post #9 of 43 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 8:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm_rides
Joe that is an awsome turn. I'm surprised the front wasn't cranked right dirt track style. Maybe that was the next frame.
Bummer! I photoshop a photo of ME on the Dragon on MY GT and JOE gets the credit!!!!

Joe's bike was the one dragging the FRAME from being overloaded! He was about a mile behind me...(though he started out in front)!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #10 of 43 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 11:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Joe's bike was the one dragging the FRAME from being overloaded! He was about a mile behind me...(though he started out in front)!
Two words: Jenny Craig

It's the color of them bikes that make you boys so slow

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #11 of 43 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 6:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
It's the color of them bikes that make you boys so slow
I spent several days in Texas. You stayed as far away from me as you could cuz you know you would've gotten schooled on your own turf. Sad. So so very sad!

Quote:
Bummer! I photoshop a photo of ME on the Dragon on MY GT and JOE gets the credit!!!!
You know you're SLOW when you have to use PhotoShop to make yourself look fast. That's almost as sad as Grif's story.
post #12 of 43 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 7:12 am

Quote:
I spent several days in Texas. You stayed as far away from me as you could cuz you know you would've gotten schooled on your own turf. Sad. So so very sad!
You can't beat a man in his own backyard unless you're willing to dive into unknown curves on faith.

And you chose to stay in cities, even though I bore gifts and Sandar the mag put daisy fresh Hannah Montana sheets on the guest room bed.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #13 of 43 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 4:36 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
You can't beat a man in his own backyard unless you're willing to dive into unknown curves on faith.

And you chose to stay in cities, even though I bore gifts and Sandar the mag put daisy fresh Hannah Montana sheets on the guest room bed.
Strange, he made me put Little Mermaid sheets on the bed when he stayed here.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #14 of 43 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 4:48 pm
Bouncer

I tried the PR2s and just barely got 4000 out of them. I am now using the Dunlop Roadsmarts, and they still look new at 4000 miles. I'm pretty sure I'll get at least 7000-8000 out of the rear.

And we were tearing up the roads in Utah.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #15 of 43 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 4:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
Strange, he made me put Little Mermaid sheets on the bed when he stayed here.
Hey! At home, I'm a one-woman man. But when I'm on the road ... I gots ta play da field!!! Don't hate da playah, hate da game!
post #16 of 43 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 5:36 pm

I've got just a shade over 9k on my PR 2s. I thought I'd need to change them in the middle of my trip, but they still look Ok. Of course, there are flat spots on the center of both tires due to a few thousand E-way miles. But if the wear pattern continues as it has so far, I would think I could get almost another 2k out of these tires.

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553
post #17 of 43 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 10:58 am

Another vote for the RoadSmarts. I have over 6k lots of commuting and one trip to the dragon and I should make it 10k+ easy. Front shows very very little if any signs of feathering. The tires feel great in all conditions. I will get another set!

Jim
MSF Rider Coach

Haverhill, MA
66 R50/2
92 R100R
07 Silver KGT
post #18 of 43 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 11:09 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
I tried the PR2s and just barely got 4000 out of them. I am now using the Dunlop Roadsmarts, and they still look new at 4000 miles. I'm pretty sure I'll get at least 7000-8000 out of the rear.

And we were tearing up the roads in Utah.
Interesting, what tire pressures were you runing on the PR2s? I'm running 36F/42R. I have over 4K on the set I used in Utah (tearing up roads with you!) and they still look great. I beat them senseless for another 150 miles yesterday and looked at them when I got home and there is still a lot of life left in them; atleast another 3K, maybe more.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #19 of 43 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 7:47 pm

So, Joe.. got any pics of that Fat Deacon on that LT running the 3 sisters? I know he was slow enough to keep you out of 4th gear, right?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #20 of 43 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 8:10 pm

Quote:

So sorry Pastor Jack! Guess you can get this good when you only have 1 work day/week. I have a Pastor Jack brother in law who is a biking minister in Lewiston, ID, but he can't even come close to making turns like that.

I'm going to tell him to quit working 2 days a week and ride more.
post #21 of 43 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 8:30 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
So sorry Pastor Jack! Guess you can get this good when you only have 1 work day/week.

You're KILLIN' me man...just KILLIN' me!

Note: If I only had a dime for every time I've heard someone say that...

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #22 of 43 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 8:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
So, Joe.. got any pics of that Fat Deacon on that LT running the 3 sisters? I know he was slow enough to keep you out of 4th gear, right?
I've got a ton of pics of you and I riding thru Tejas, Deacon Sir. And I will never forget the hospitality and the loving kindness that I received in that beautiful State. What an experience!

Sorry for the hijack... Now, back to tires.
post #23 of 43 Old Sep 16th, 2008, 11:30 am

I too put on the Avons before my two up fully loaded trip last July. 5,700 miles and the rear is way flat in the center. I'm guessing my fully loaded situation made that happen with all the straight bits (roads) helping.

Front still looks good.
post #24 of 43 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 7:30 am

Quote:
I have been running a set of Avom Storms and love the tires, but today I looked at the rear and it is gettting thin in the center and it only has 3,000k on it. I MAY get another thousand out of it if I baby it.

Now...I know I ride fast, but this is ridiculous!
Pastor Jack your problem is obvious.

You s(p)inning way to much...

Now I say unto Thee, Repent, go and s(p)in no more or you will be subject to life of changing tires

Sorry the Devil made me do it....

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #25 of 43 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 10:06 am

We've never had much luck with the Storms - tried two sets to make sure they melt away, and sure enough, they do! 4K was the max we got out of the rears, so now we have some cuppy fronts on the shelf. No more Avons for me. This last round we tried Z6's on the rear with M3's on the front - they stuck better than expected on the UT tar snakes because the front end held while the back slid (less pucker factor!), but for the first time ever, the fronts are shot with some wear left on the rears. At least we can use up those front Storms now! I'm thinking PR2s or Road Smarts next time around. I sure do miss the Azaros.

Dean and Deb
Golden, CO

post #26 of 43 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 12:10 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsauer608
We've never had much luck with the Storms - tried two sets to make sure they melt away, and sure enough, they do! 4K was the max we got out of the rears, so now we have some cuppy fronts on the shelf. No more Avons for me. This last round we tried Z6's on the rear with M3's on the front - they stuck better than expected on the UT tar snakes because the front end held while the back slid (less pucker factor!), but for the first time ever, the fronts are shot with some wear left on the rears. At least we can use up those front Storms now! I'm thinking PR2s or Road Smarts next time around. I sure do miss the Azaros.
I'll highly recommend the PR2s. I should have let you and Dean ride my bike in UT to try them out. I have 4400 miles on them now and they still have a long way to go.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #27 of 43 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 1:14 pm

Quote:
I'll highly recommend the PR2s. I should have let you and Dean ride my bike in UT to try them out. I have 4400 miles on them now and they still have a long way to go.
I'll throw in my +1 on the PR2s as well. Got a front before a 6000 mile trip, got the rear halfway through it. I've put 1000 miles on them since then, so that's 7K on the front and 4K on the rear. Both look great, they're wearing MUCH better than the stock Bridgestones, and the bike feels a lot better in corners too. Was tossing it through the Sierra passes with the I-BMW guys over the weekend, felt great.
post #28 of 43 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 1:16 pm

Quote:
Why, yes, you should have! Actually, I'm kinda glad you didn't because then Dean would have to trade for the New Gen GT. Probably me too. Do the PR2s have decent wear bars so they don't sneak up on you like the Z6s do?

Dean and Deb
Golden, CO

post #29 of 43 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 6:01 pm

I know the fronts do. What is just crazy silly is my front wore out first. I put them both on at the same time. I meandered out to the gearage one day, looked down and the front was at the bars. The rear looked like it might have had a thou left on it. The moral of that story is to quit doing burn outs with the front tire.

Both tires were at the 10k mark. I slapped the set on that I had and will order another.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #30 of 43 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 6:08 pm

Quote:
I know the fronts do. What is just crazy silly is my front wore out first. I put them both on at the same time. I meandered out to the gearage one day, looked down and the front was at the bars. The rear looked like it might have had a thou left on it. The moral of that story is to quit doing burn outs with the front tire.

Both tires were at the 10k mark. I slapped the set on that I had and will order another.
Yep, those front burn outs are a problem that's for sure! btw, where are you finding the best deals on tires right now? SWmoto was where I shopped for a long time, but they've gotten pricey lately.

Dean and Deb
Golden, CO

post #31 of 43 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 7:19 pm

Everybody is pricey, oil and economy have really jacked tire prices. When the PR2 first came out, SW Moto didn't have any in stock. I ordered from a place in Florida and it took almost a month for them to get here. They were more expensive than SW Moto, turned out to be a reshipper, I had to pay for shipping and they didn't answer phone calls, or emails. If I'd waited a few days, I could have got them from Blaine. Leason learned.

The PR2 may cost more, but lasts longer.

If I'd had known that you didn't know you wanted a new bike, I would have let you ride mine.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #32 of 43 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 7:47 pm

Quote:
btw, where are you finding the best deals on tires right now? SWmoto was where I shopped for a long time, but they've gotten pricey lately.
Hey Deb ... my '06 GT comes with a new set of tires! Heck! I'll throw in another set just for you or Dean.
post #33 of 43 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 7:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Hey Deb ... my '06 GT comes with a new set of tires! Heck! I'll throw in another set just for you or Dean.

JOE... you're gonna have to "RE-farlize" that GT of yours! That's the best bike you've ever owned...just admit it!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #34 of 43 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 8:15 pm

The PR's must be sticking in the wet & cold these days. In the wet NW, the early pilots were known as "slip & grips" due to slow warm up and nearly no warm-up in the wet.

Here they are +$30.00 over Roadsmarts which with remembering my buddies plastic repair bills, made deciding easier.
post #35 of 43 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 11:24 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Why, yes, you should have! Actually, I'm kinda glad you didn't because then Dean would have to trade for the New Gen GT. Probably me too. Do the PR2s have decent wear bars so they don't sneak up on you like the Z6s do?
Yep, front and rear. I was just looking at them today and they've got a ways to go to get there!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #36 of 43 Old Sep 19th, 2008, 12:25 pm

Quote:
Would I get a discount since your bike would finally have a good home?

Dean and Deb
Golden, CO

post #37 of 43 Old Sep 19th, 2008, 12:29 pm

Quote:
The PR's must be sticking in the wet & cold these days. In the wet NW, the early pilots were known as "slip & grips" due to slow warm up and nearly no warm-up in the wet.

Here they are +$30.00 over Roadsmarts which with remembering my buddies plastic repair bills, made deciding easier.
PR2s don't like center stripes real well either, come to think of it.

Dean and Deb
Golden, CO

post #38 of 43 Old Sep 19th, 2008, 12:35 pm

Quote:
If I'd had known that you didn't know you wanted a new bike, I would have let you ride mine.
What you said! Actually, the new S really speaks to me.

Dean and Deb
Golden, CO

post #39 of 43 Old Sep 19th, 2008, 3:09 pm

Quote:
Would I get a discount since your bike would finally have a good home?
Make an offer...
post #40 of 43 Old Sep 19th, 2008, 5:52 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
PR2s don't like center stripes real well either, come to think of it.
Not that I've crossed a lot of them , but I've had no instability from the PR2s on double yellows or other painted lines in dry conditions, hot or cool. I've only gone through some short damp patches (straights and curves) from overy exuberant sprinkler systems soaking roadways but no issues there, either. As the Utah tarsnakes heated up they did get a little squirrelly, but no more than a lot of other tires I've used and less than most. Earlier in the day before they heated up and got gooey the PR2s didn't care they were there at all.

I used to swear by Metzelers, running ME880s on my LTs and hating all the Bridgestone options available (I completely shredded te original Excedra front on my 99 LT in 2200 miles; looked like I ran a SuperBike race with it). The MEZ4 was the best tire I had ever used on any bike, and ran them on my FZR 1000, R1100RT, TL1000S, and K1200RS. The PR2s for me are far superior to that tire from a trust and confidence inspiring pespective. I almost put a set on my GS but decided to stick with the Tourances since we're getting into the icky weather season.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #41 of 43 Old Sep 19th, 2008, 5:56 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
What you said! Actually, the new S really speaks to me.
San Jose BMW has a very pristine used Bumblebee K1200S on the floor right now.

Yes, I am your friend, but I am also evil.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #42 of 43 Old Sep 19th, 2008, 7:23 pm

Quote:
San Jose BMW has a very pristine used Bumblebee K1200S on the floor right now.

Yes, I am your friend, but I am also evil.
Sigh. Stinkin' awesome, isn't it? Sigh.

Dean and Deb
Golden, CO

post #43 of 43 Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 1:07 am

Jack

What pressure are you running???

David Adler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in