Unpredictable Hot Start - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 9th, 2008, 7:50 pm Thread Starter

Unpredictable Hot Start

Any body had starting problems like these in hot weather?

At least twice a day on a 10 day ride, after a long run and then shutting off at: a gas stop, waiting in a toll booth line, stalled traffic, etc. I had problems with restarting the engine. What would happen is it would come up on TDC which would stall the starter. Almost like you were holding the throttle open and giving it too much advance, which I wasn't. Sometimes the starter would stall momentarily and then slowly roll through and start, a couple of times it stalled completely and wouldn't respond at all to the button. I assume the circuit overheated and needed to cool because after a few minutes it would roll over and start.

Sitting at a gas station 1500 miles from home in 102 deg. weather, this is not confidence inspiring.

Any ideas as how to identify the problem? I am sure if I take it to the dealer it will start perfectly. The bike is an 07 (under warranty) with 16K and runs great otherwise.

Last edited by mdm_rides; Sep 9th, 2008 at 7:51 pm. Reason: missed word
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 9th, 2008, 8:19 pm

Re: Unpredictable Hot Start

An Odyssey battery will cure that. They make that starter motor sing!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Sep 9th, 2008, 8:57 pm

I was in Vegas last week and had no problems at 106 degrees.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Day 6 track.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	19575  

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553

post #4 of 9 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 8:10 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
An Odyssey battery will cure that. They make that starter motor sing!
Thanks for the feedback, I'll check one out. I do recall my LT eating a battery every 2 years even on a tender, so maybe it it time for this one too.
post #5 of 9 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 10:22 am

Even a new gel OEM battery seems to hesitate on the GT's high compression engine. My battery was still good, but the Odyssey really fixed it up.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #6 of 9 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 6:37 am

Garage

This happened to me last week, there'd been an incident on the M6 motorway and they'd had to close it for two junctions, diverting all traffic off into the local town. It was chaos. Whilst filtering through the traffic, things got hot as it was a warm day too.

I stalled and it failed to turn over properly, was a bit worrying for a moment or so. After a coule of tries she fired up thankfully.

--
Steve Parry
Current fleet is
14 BMW R1200RT LE
07 BMW K1200GT SE
03 BMW R1100S BoxerCup
14 BMW F800GS
87 BMW R80RS
... oh and the 330Ci for suit days
post #7 of 9 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 6:25 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I've had the hot-start-hesitation a couple of times over the last year or so. And had the battery not quite want to turn the bike over when cold a couple of times more recently (usually after sitting for 10 minutes with the lights on, or when parked and locked for a week or more, but that normally shouldn't drain the battery that much that fast). Other times, everything is fine and it starts right up.

But I just found a local supplier with an Odyssey PC680-MJ for $110. Can't beat that even online, so it'll get a new battery this week.

Problem solved.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 9 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 9:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
But I just found a local supplier with an Odyssey PC680-MJ for $110. Can't beat that even online, so it'll get a new battery this week.

Problem solved.
Not quite. http://www.fuzeblocks.com/index.php

-=grif=-

Grok
post #9 of 9 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 10:59 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Yeah, I know . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in