GT daily high milage survey results - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 8:25 pm Thread Starter

GT daily high milage survey results

I got a GT about 3 weeks ago and was interested in how suitable a GT is for long distance touring for a big guy (I am 6' 4"). The responses you guys gave me break down as follows.

Of the 60 responses only 12 were from GT riders, which is what I was interested in.

Daily high milage: 2 over 1600 miles; 2 between 1000 and 1300 miles; 3 between 800 - 1000 miles; 4 between 500 - 800 daily miles; 1 less than 500.

Height: 3 people 6'3"; 2 people 6'2"; 1 person 6'1"; 1 person 5'9"; 1 person 5'7".

The conclusion seems to be that with the right aftermarket stuff, that this can be a great long distance tourer, even for a tall guy. I took my bike out over the long weekend for its first major ride and did two 400 mile and one 500 mile day going from Alberta through Logan Pass in Glacier National Park and back. I think that once I get my after market seat, that I should be able to at least double that amount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 7:45 am

Thumbs up Re: GT daily high milage survey results

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronk1200lt
I got a GT about 3 weeks ago and was interested in how suitable a GT is for long distance touring for a big guy (I am 6' 4"). The responses you guys gave me break down as follows.

Of the 60 responses only 12 were from GT riders, which is what I was interested in.

Daily high milage: 2 over 1600 miles; 2 between 1000 and 1300 miles; 3 between 800 - 1000 miles; 4 between 500 - 800 daily miles; 1 less than 500.

Height: 3 people 6'3"; 2 people 6'2"; 1 person 6'1"; 1 person 5'9"; 1 person 5'7".

The conclusion seems to be that with the right aftermarket stuff, that this can be a great long distance tourer, even for a tall guy. I took my bike out over the long weekend for its first major ride and did two 400 mile and one 500 mile day going from Alberta through Logan Pass in Glacier National Park and back. I think that once I get my after market seat, that I should be able to at least double that amount.
I agree with you. I've had my GT for 2 days and when I get it tuned in (handle bar riser/set backs, Rick Mayer Seat, Tank grippers, and electronics), it will definitely be a long distance bike.

I did my BBG on the LT, but did four IBA rides on a Harley Lowrider! So, this thing will be a piece of cake.

By the way, I'm 68" tall with a 29" inseam and apparently have short arms.

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 12:09 pm Thread Starter

Re: GT daily high milage survey results

I think that to do a high milage day without killing myself, I will have to make more short stops of 5 minutes or so every hour. I have been experimenting with doing this and it is amazing how far I can ride the GT as long as I frequently give myself a few minutes of stretch time.

post #4 of 4 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 5:19 pm

Re: GT daily high milage survey results

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronk1200lt
I think that to do a high milage day without killing myself, I will have to make more short stops of 5 minutes or so every hour. I have been experimenting with doing this and it is amazing how far I can ride the GT as long as I frequently give myself a few minutes of stretch time.
I ride tank to tank by continuously moving around and changing positions on the bike. I did the same thang on the LT.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in