FD Failure-You guys know this guy? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 6:25 am Thread Starter

FD Failure-You guys know this guy?

From the MTF forum and was posted 1 Sept at 0146. The ride mentioned was a B2B.

"Chuck Taylor had a problem. He stopped at the Gastrak on the way north to drop off a 'package'. When he pulled out of the station, and hit the entrance ramp for I-29, he stopped. Tom and I were wondering, but then he got back on the bike and slowly moved off. He came back with 2 other riders, with his 4-ways on and moving slowly. As he had pulled out of the station, he felt his rear wheel shimmy. When he grabbed it he could move it back and forth. Another BMW Final Drive bit the dust. But he was going to finish the ride if he had to push the bike across the border and back.

After unsatisfactory calls to BMW Motorad and the BMW MOA service people, he was not a happy camper. The closest BMW dealer is Moon Motors, in Monticello, MN. After discussion, which unsuccessfully included finding a U-Haul dealer so we could get a trailer to tow behind my cage, he made arrangements with a towing service out of Grand Forks, ND. They would pick up him and the bike, and transport both to Grand Forks. Chuck would get flights out to TX, and the towing company on Tuesday would tow the bike to Moon Motors. Chuck will be making decisions on disposition after that. He may bring one of his trailers to MN, and tow the bike home himself.

Chuck had some choice words for the situation, like never drinking Kool-Aid again. He had 9,070 miles on his '07 K1200GT when it failed."

Mike
IBA #433
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 9:25 am

Re: FD Failure-You guys know this guy?

Another one...the real problem isn't a failed major component; its the problems caused by the failure due to the way the bike is "normally" used. Like rides to Canada from Texas. And dying at the northernmost point. And the hassle, inconvenience and expense of curing the problem. I feel for Chuck Taylor, though I don't know him, we know what he hs been going through.

I've often thought that regardless of the new bike, I'd pay BMW an extra $500 in a heartbeat to buy a new design that would eliminate the problem.

OR, BMW can pay considerably more than $500 per bike to try to get customers back that either had a problem or just heard about it! I guess if I'd been with BMW, it would have been fixed years ago, or I'd have pulled the product off the market.

At this point I'd have to question the judgement of a long distance rider who chooses a BMW.
post #3 of 3 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 1:00 pm

Re: FD Failure-You guys know this guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjessen
Another one...the real problem isn't a failed major component; its the problems caused by the failure due to the way the bike is "normally" used. Like rides to Canada from Texas. And dying at the northernmost point. And the hassle, inconvenience and expense of curing the problem. I feel for Chuck Taylor, though I don't know him, we know what he hs been going through.

I've often thought that regardless of the new bike, I'd pay BMW an extra $500 in a heartbeat to buy a new design that would eliminate the problem.

OR, BMW can pay considerably more than $500 per bike to try to get customers back that either had a problem or just heard about it! I guess if I'd been with BMW, it would have been fixed years ago, or I'd have pulled the product off the market.

At this point I'd have to question the judgement of a long distance rider who chooses a BMW.
Pete:

Couldn't agree more with everything you said; especially the last line about choosing the GT/LT for a long distance ride. In fact, just posted exactly these thoughts on another thread. Be careful, though; any minute the Silver Buffalo will respond with a post about the great weather protection offered by the bike (smiley face included) . I'm sure Chuck will find it comforting.

The Touring Professor

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1999 H-D Dyna-Glide Conv.
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
1991 Acura NSX

Gone But Not Forgotten:

2006 K1200GT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2001 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT
2003 Hayabusa
2002 1800 VTX
1999 HD Sportster
1988 HD Softail Custom
1975 Yamaha 100cc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in