Aeroflow screen and Toutec.fr - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old Aug 21st, 2008, 3:28 pm Thread Starter

Aeroflow screen and Toutec.fr

This is aimed more at the EU riders than US:

Ok - so back in March, when I bought the GT, I bought a high screen, Aeroflow, from their EU importer, toutec.fr.

As I have a Big Mak shelf, I chose not to fit the laminar flow plate. Also, comparing the pictures, I sit higher/taller than the rider on the Aeroflow site.

I found the screen not quite high enough, so I chose to fit a laminar lip. I suffered a cracked screen in mid June, almost 3 months of running with this new super height screen, but I was running at high speed.

I decided to modify this screen, by making bracing and struts but in order to do this, I needed another screen, so I bought another Aeroflow. After all, it had worked fine, and I have 12 years of good experience with them, from R1100RT to 8 years on K1200LTs

It was again ordered from toutec.fr, arrived and fitted - again without the laminar flow plate - my choice.

I was extremely surprised when it too cracked, at a far lower speed, just about 5 weeks back.

I wrote to toutec asking how to proceed (I attached a delivery report request). the delivery report stated it hit their server.

there was no response. Two weeks ago last sunday, as I had received no response, I wrote another email, copy to Aeroflow, stating that unless I received responses within 14 days, i would contact my credit card company for recompense.

I then entered into discussions with toutec, and matters came to a head last wednesday, when they intimated that they had reluctantly replaced one GT screen after the rider admitted to using it at 125mph for more than an hour.

I stated the speeds I had experienced failures, an reiterated that I was not making any claim for the first screen. the speeds were 144mph and 110 to 115mph.

At this juncture, toutec were rather unpleasant, demanding to know if I was aware of the UK and French speed limits, stating in their opinion that I was abusing the product and intimating that I was racing.

I forwared this mail to Paige Ortiz at Aeroflow asking for his opinion of how toutec were behaving.

I waitied a day before responding and then dealt with each of toutec's issues and pointing out the large number of assumptions. He had assumed I had only ridden in the UK, and had hit those speeds on the public highway, without asking. I pointed out that as a citizen of an EU country, I was free to ride in any EU country, including locations with no speed limit.

I received a reply today stating:
"You have used the product in a incomplete fashion (no laminar flow plate),
on a bike with a "non standard" configuration (thus creating at least one
unknown factor), in a questionable manner as regards to speed, failed to
mention the cracking of your first screen when ordering a second screen, and
you have failed to provide any requested photos in order to help us help
you.

The warranty will therefore not cover the cracking of this second screen.

However, we are still willing to offer you a replacement screen at 50%
discount compared to the normal full retail price (screen only, not fixings
or flow plate), if you so wish to take advantage of this offer you have 7
days to make your decision (deadline 12h00 28th July 2008 - UK time)."

When requested for pictures earlier in the week, I pointed out the weather was unpleasant curently and would send as soon as I could. I had scheduled this weekend to do that.

I have spoken to Aeroflow directly about this, pointing out my disappointment and that I am upset by the tone of the emails from toutec.

I am reassured that I can purchase product from Aeroflow directly, as I will not deal with toutec again.

I bring this to your attention that should you suffer an issue with an Aeroflow screen purchased from toutec, that the gentleman there is robust and appears to become very agitated with anyone who exceeds a "local" speed limit (see above for the most toned down response).

Also - I didin't use the laminar flow plate - my choice because of the Big Mak shelf, but I have no evidence to prove or disprove there was any contribution to the failures.

I fail to see why I was required to notify toutec of the first failure as I believed it was fully down to me as I chose to fit the Laminar lip - but again, this is cited as a reason for rejecting the warranty claim.

So - if you're buying from toutec, caveat emptor.

I have mentioned to Aeroflow that as they have no mention of a speed rating, they may wish to consider this. I have also asked them to look at their web site as they insist there is no need to use the screen in anything but 1" raised, but the pictures how fully raised.

A final note: I asked Aeroflow if they had any objection to me posting and that said that as long as I pointed out I had not used the laminar flow plate, they had no objection.

I will consider publishing the full email trail, but I need to pull it together.

As for me - I intend to pursue my strengthing of the Aeroflow, and of repairing it when I can locate the solvent.

In the interim, I have purchased a Z-technik high screen

Again, I am reassured that I can by direct from Aeroflow and not have to deal with toutec - a company I will never deal with again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in