K1200GT Questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Aug 9th, 2008, 7:37 am Thread Starter

Smile K1200GT Questions

I would like the input of the actual riders of the GT and not the BS of the dealers.
I am on my 4th K12lt and really like the bike but in the past year I find myself riding my ST 1100 more than the Lt, I suspect it's because of the weight and how easy the ST handles. I am thinking of getting rid of the Lt and the St and just have one bike rather than two to take care of.
I want to know the draw-backs of the GT I can get the hype and HS from the dealer about the good things the bike provides
I've noticed by the posts that the seat must be a POS but what else will I have to put on it to make it a good road bike?
Guys I really would appreciate the input on this.
Thanks
Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Aug 9th, 2008, 8:38 am

Re: K1200GT Questions

All subjective. I did the Kontour seat, Cee Bailey windshield, fuse box, gps with sat radio, autocom, Big Mak shelf and ride it everyday to work (about 100 mile round trip) with joy.

I have no problem with 1,000 mile days on trips.

Your body WILL have to get used to the bike. There's an adjustment period, the longer you ride it, the more you'll love it. I put 108,000 miles on my LT and it took me several months to adjust to the GT. I ride with the bars all the way down and seat in high position.

If mine disappeared, I'd buy another one today.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Aug 9th, 2008, 8:51 am Thread Starter

Gifscoots;
You have been around as long as I have, I remember you from the start of the list.
What is the fuse box about?
Any special reason you choose the Kontour seat? or just your preference?
The windshield must be a little short right?
What is the getting used to thing about? riding position?
Ok I've run out of questions.
Thanks
Ken

post #4 of 12 Old Aug 9th, 2008, 9:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
What is the fuse box about?
It makes it easier to hook up your farkles. CANBUS is pretty picky about current draws and will shut that leg down. Go to www.k-bikes.com , the top right of the forum bar you'll see Technical, click that, when it drops down click Hall of Wisdom, New Gen and find Canbus 101. Randy wrote it and it's a good read.

Quote:
Any special reason you choose the Kontour seat? or just your preference?
It's hot in Tejas and the Kontour flows air.

Quote:
The windshield must be a little short right?
Even the tall BMW windshield caused too much buffeting.

There are other products out there to make the ride more comfy, bar backs, peg lowering and Aeroflow, who makes a windshield and wind guards.

Quote:
What is the getting used to thing about? riding position?
Riding position and the bike is more physical to ride. You're more part of the bike and your body input is really important when you start ripping twisties.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #5 of 12 Old Aug 9th, 2008, 11:09 am

Garage

I also switched after 7 years of LT's to the GT, almost two years ago now. I haven't had a moment of regrets and like Grif says: If this one would disappear I'd buy a new one right away. My GT is full options (incl. ASC, RDC, ESA, xenon, etc.). Handle bars in the highest position, seat in upper position.

My changes to the GT:
- CalSci XL screen
- Ilmberger rear wheel hugger
- Zumo added
- Baehr XL intercom
- clear front turn signals
- for commuting: Givi B36N business top case (for long trips I have the large BMW top case)

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92
post #6 of 12 Old Aug 9th, 2008, 1:25 pm

I switched from the LT a year ago. The LT was a little too upright riding for me. I feel (my back feels) much better leaning forward. It takes all the pressure off my lower back.

The stock seat sucks, but I've heard the later '07 seat is much better. I went with a Russell. Grif is right though. The Kontour will flow more air.

Shedding 200 lbs from the LT is also a joy.

Grab a test ride on one. That's the only way you'll really know for sure if it's for you.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #7 of 12 Old Aug 9th, 2008, 2:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
I switched from the LT a year ago. The LT was a little too upright riding for me. I feel (my back feels) much better leaning forward. It takes all the pressure off my lower back.

The stock seat sucks, but I've heard the later '07 seat is much better. I went with a Russell. Grif is right though. The Kontour will flow more air.

Shedding 200 lbs from the LT is also a joy.

Grab a test ride on one. That's the only way you'll really know for sure if it's for you.
I have been quite happy with my LT. My first one was 2000 model. And I loved it. Second one is 2004 model. Very similar except seat which is much too soft. But what has been bothering me very much is the weight of LT. And it is located really high.

My second bike is K1200S. It is providing more power than LT, but main difference for me is weight. It is so easy to handle comparing to LT. So I can imagine why you like your ST1100.

I have been thinking about GT as my next bike as well istead of having two bikes. Mainly because of LT:s weight. But to give up my K1200S is not easy. It would mean loss of many HP's.

Leiboshi
post #8 of 12 Old Aug 11th, 2008, 5:58 pm

Kenny, I switched from the 2002 RS/GT to the KGT as it is much more nimble in the steering. the bike does not feel like a dead weight while slowing or stopped. I like the higher riding position ( seat in low position, but higher than the old bike, and bars in the hugh position). It has a little bit more lean forward than the the old bike. I put a Rich Mayer seat and additional lighting in the rear and motolights in front. The Zumo GPS is wonderful and there is a mount for it made by BMW.

Love the bike and have been putting in more miles in 2 years than I did in 4 years of my RS/GT.

I also had a st1100 for 10 years and this BMW is so far ahead of everything else I have ever ridden.

Larry
2009 Deep Blue K1300GT
post #9 of 12 Old Aug 12th, 2008, 5:28 am

Is everyone using an iPod or Zune for tunes on the GT or is there a CD changer option?

"“People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."
Alexei Sayle

'09 R1200RT
post #10 of 12 Old Aug 12th, 2008, 6:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINDMAN
Is everyone using an iPod or Zune for tunes on the GT or is there a CD changer option?
No CD Changer or any intercom option on the GT. I use a Motocomm and XM radio.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #11 of 12 Old Aug 12th, 2008, 8:41 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINDMAN
I have a Garmin Zumo GPS with built-in MP3 player. Sound comes to the helmet via a Baehr intercom.

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92
post #12 of 12 Old Aug 12th, 2008, 10:57 am

I agree with Grif on everything except for the seat, sorry. It's painful in 70 miles. There are better ones out there try them if you can and make sure if it's not right that it can be made right.

Other than that these bike are great! I do miss the LT sometimes because the wife will not ride on the GT.

Jim
MSF Rider Coach

Haverhill, MA
66 R50/2
92 R100R
07 Silver KGT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in