the unthinkable just traded my GT for LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 9:39 am Thread Starter

the unthinkable just traded my GT for LT

I caved into my arthritic neck and did the unthinkable - traded the GT in for an '08 LT. The GT was easily the most exciting ride I have had in my biking life (with the possible exception of the 750cc 2stroke Kawasaki back in the day). Now I ride slow and listen to music - I am actually finding it very enjoyable.
I do have GT accessories to sell: handlebar relocator, peg lowering kit, large windshield and Sargeant seat - I guess I was trying to turn the GT into an LT all along.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 9:49 am

Re: the unthinkable just traded my GT for LT

A man needs to be happy while riding .... Enjoy your LT

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
T
wisties Required

post #3 of 24 Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 12:38 pm

I miss the comfort, easy cruise, and weather protection of my LT. Now that I ride solo, I don't miss the lbs and top heavy feel.

Seems like a lot of guys are trying to turn the GT into a GS type ergo fit but either never quite make it work, or develop "GT Butt" and go from there. The guy I bought my 07 from, finally bought a GS and was much happier.

There is something out there for everybody and they are all faster than what is legal anyway.

Enjoy the fact that you are out riding.

post #4 of 24 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 5:57 am

I too went back to the LT and couldn't be happier . I do miss the quickness of the GT but I don't miss the shoulder pain that I experienced on the GT. I find that when needed the LT gets with the program quite nicely and is all I need to enjoy the ride .

Enjoy the new LT and relax, it is still quick enough when needed.

Regards,
Woody aka SoberBiker

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
~Author Unknown~

'18 K1600 BGA (Yet to be named)
'16 Goldwing F6B (Traded)
'08 K1200LT - (Traded)
'07 K1200GT - (Sold)

post #5 of 24 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 12:34 pm

I'm glad that your are comfortable I know the feeling I have neck issues as well. That is what lead me to the LT but since I have been feeling better I can get by with the GT.

Do you still have the seat? Either the Sargent or stock unit?

Cheers,

Jim
MSF Rider Coach

Haverhill, MA
66 R50/2
92 R100R
07 Silver KGT
post #6 of 24 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 2:08 pm Thread Starter

Still have the Sargeant seat - front only, no heat, black w/ black welt, bmw racing logo on sides - very comfortable for me. -Steve
post #7 of 24 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 4:27 pm

Sent PM

Cheers,

Jim
MSF Rider Coach

Haverhill, MA
66 R50/2
92 R100R
07 Silver KGT
post #8 of 24 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 8:05 pm

I have sent a PM on the lowering kit for the pegs. (Don't laugh!)

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 24 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 9:26 pm
fas

Talking Re: the unthinkable just traded my GT for LT

Jack,

Sold my '06 GT for $15,500 cash on eBay to a man from Wisconsin. Been blasting around in the yellow Porsche with the top down with SO beside me instead of behind me on a bike..... For the first time since 1971, I don't have a bike in the garage. I do have the '07 KTM Super Duke in storage....might get plates for it soon. The RC8 is due soon. Since Dad checked out I have been avoiding 2 wheels waiting for my focus to come back. How long does it take?

Thanks again for that book you sent. Helped a lot.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #10 of 24 Old Aug 7th, 2008, 12:41 am

I have been driving few years with LT. My first one was 2000 model. Now I am having 2004 model. And those both are great bikes. But LT is so damn heavy and feels top heavy. That is actually what bother's me.

I have second bike, K1200S Turbo. That's something which is not heavy and it's uick enough. But again, it does not have cruise, no wind protection...

So, I have been thinking about selling them both and bying a GT instead. Would that be a mistake, while some of you are changing from GT to LT?

Leiboshi
post #11 of 24 Old Aug 7th, 2008, 8:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiboshi
So, I have been thinking about selling them both and bying a GT instead. Would that be a mistake, while some of you are changing from GT to LT?

Leiboshi
I did and loved it. A few did and hated it. One guy is so broke down and infirm of body, mind and soul (I love ya, man! ) that he went back to the LT.

The only way to find out is ride one for as long as you can.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #12 of 24 Old Aug 12th, 2008, 5:23 am

Understand the comfort issue. I'm 55 with creaky bones and am in the decision process of buying a new GT or used LT. I ride 40% tour and 60% urban.
Is it possible to remove the rear trunk on the LT and retain appearance?

"“People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."
Alexei Sayle

'09 R1200RT
post #13 of 24 Old Aug 12th, 2008, 7:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINDMAN
Understand the comfort issue. I'm 55 with creaky bones and am in the decision process of buying a new GT or used LT. I ride 40% tour and 60% urban.
Is it possible to remove the rear trunk on the LT and retain appearance?
Yes...you can take the trunk off and put a Fort Worth rack on the back. Looks great!

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #14 of 24 Old Aug 13th, 2008, 2:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I did and loved it. A few did and hated it. One guy is so broke down and infirm of body, mind and soul (I love ya, man! ) that he went back to the LT.

The only way to find out is ride one for as long as you can.
This might be the only way.

We'll see.

Regards
Leiboshi
post #15 of 24 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 8:26 am

For some of us (myself included), the seduction of a 152 hp SPORT-touring bike, causes us to live in a temporary state of denial. We rationalize that the wind protection is adequate, the ergo's sufficient, and the SO will adapt. All in the name of scratching the HP itch.

Then some of us awake to the realization that comfort makes enjoying the ride possible, and need to move on to a bike better suited to that role.

I've said it before. I miss my R1200RT in the same way. The GT is a great machine, but it is not as comfortable, nor does it provide the same wind protection as the RT. Moreover, I cannot get through corners as quickly on the GT. The only thing the GT has on the RT is power and a smoother engine. I've paid a price to be able to effortlessly cruise at 100mph on the GT. The problem is that by modifying my GT to get RT(ish) comfort and protection, I've contradicted some of the bikes inherant qualities.

I'll most likely go back to an RT at some point. I've enjoyed the GT, but I value comfort, handling and smooother throttle control over sheer power.
post #16 of 24 Old Sep 19th, 2008, 9:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng943
For some of us (myself included), the seduction of a 152 hp SPORT-touring bike, causes us to live in a temporary state of denial. We rationalize that the wind protection is adequate, the ergo's sufficient, and the SO will adapt. All in the name of scratching the HP itch.

Then some of us awake to the realization that comfort makes enjoying the ride possible, and need to move on to a bike better suited to that role.

I've said it before. I miss my R1200RT in the same way. The GT is a great machine, but it is not as comfortable, nor does it provide the same wind protection as the RT. Moreover, I cannot get through corners as quickly on the GT. The only thing the GT has on the RT is power and a smoother engine. I've paid a price to be able to effortlessly cruise at 100mph on the GT. The problem is that by modifying my GT to get RT(ish) comfort and protection, I've contradicted some of the bikes inherant qualities.

I'll most likely go back to an RT at some point. I've enjoyed the GT, but I value comfort, handling and smooother throttle control over sheer power.
Having owned LT's for a number of years, and currently owning (ok, will take some grief on this) an '07GT, '07GS Adventure, and '08RT you would think I could comment on this thread with a degree of certainty and finality. Well, I cannot. I recently finished a 6000 mile tour on the RT, and it performed admirably. Last year I did a 4000 mile trip on the GT and it performed admirably. I ride the Adventure and it performs admirably. I initially missed the LT but kept it long enough to overlap with the GT and the Adv and found I was not riding it anymore so away it went. IF asked which bike I'd own if I could only own one? Tough decision and without the reality of REALLY having to do it I cannot answer that question. But, if I assess the attributes of which bike best suited for 'sport-type-touring', whatever that may be, the RT wins:

Large 7 gal fuel tank

Good fuel mileage per gal

Very easy bike to ride, nimble, light in turns, slow-speed maneuvering best of all three

Best weather protection

Cruise (not an issue with me as I have McCruise on Adv)

The RT is also the most vanilla/boring of the three bikes. Sorry!

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #17 of 24 Old Sep 30th, 2008, 11:43 am

I'm currently an LT owner and am thinking of getting the GT. It seems from reading here the RT is rated higher than the GT, but I'm biased against the air-cooled engines.

I love my LT but its a challenge riding in traffic 2-up and lane splicing is difficult.

Older bikes of the early 90's seemed to have the best of both worlds - they were as comfortable as the LT but were the size of the GT/RT. They also offered similar wind/weather protection as the LT.

For now, I'm gonna stick to my LT!
post #18 of 24 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 5:16 pm

I went from a LT to a 1200RT to a 1200GT. Both the LT & RT made my shoulders and neck hurt no matter what I did. The GT is great for me. No more shoulder or neck pain. The seating position makes me use my lower back more and thus takes the weight off my shoulders. Love this bike.

Wayne

2006 K1200GT Blue

2008 F800ST Blue (Hers)
2006 R1200RT Red (Traded)
1999 K1200LT Champaign (Sold)
1985 K100LT Baja Red (Sold and
)
post #19 of 24 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Gold Supporter

(((My take is have two bikes))), one for each occasion, I really like my 03 lt, can ride it with the best of you and keep up, on some days its just nice to sit on the moving couch and relax, but there are days when my 2001 k1200rs calls for me, twisties,long distance,high speeds, to let that animal creature out of its cage, then im fine again for awhile. Matthew
post #20 of 24 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 11:04 pm

I have an LT and a GT....I find that they are totally different platforms for 2 different duties. When I want the 500 mile day, its the LT...2 up? LT again. For busting the corners, the GT gets it done...same with my inner speed freak, the GT settles that as well.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #21 of 24 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 9:56 pm

I did the same thing last April. I had an 04 GT which I loved. I had basically turned it into a mini-LT and while it was good for me, the wife wanted more. Unfortunately for me my dealer lent me a new LT while my GT was in the shop and when the wife went for a ride her comments was "we have to get one of these". One can not pass up a chance like that - so we got one and I (we) love it. I loved the GT, but I REALLY LOVE the LT. And to top it off, I even get better gas milage on the LT!!

Here are photos my my previous GT and my new LT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CBH BMWLT.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	20375   Click image for larger version

Name:	HanshiBMW.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	20376  

Hanshi
Reading, PA
Current Bikes:
2007 BMW K1200LT (Black)
2008 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic (red)
HF Tag-Along Trailer
Past Bikes:
2004 BMW K1200GT (Grey-Green)
2004 Suzuki Intruder (Black)
post #22 of 24 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 11:08 pm

Rode an H1 and an H2 (Back In the Day) also. In the power curve it would pull the handle bars right out of your hands if you werent carefull.

Wish my LT would almost do that LOL

Hard to keep the front wheel down also. Glad the LT DOESNT do that!!

Later

Steve A

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgierl
I caved into my arthritic neck and did the unthinkable - traded the GT in for an '08 LT. The GT was easily the most exciting ride I have had in my biking life (with the possible exception of the 750cc 2stroke Kawasaki back in the day). Now I ride slow and listen to music - I am actually finding it very enjoyable.
I do have GT accessories to sell: handlebar relocator, peg lowering kit, large windshield and Sargeant seat - I guess I was trying to turn the GT into an LT all along.
post #23 of 24 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 11:12 pm

How about an RT with a "K" motor. I dont care which one!!! BUT I like the Letter.

I guess after all these years BMW's marketing dept just dont get it!!

Later Steve A

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng943

post #24 of 24 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 11:50 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea2980
How about an RT with a "K" motor.
Build a proper K1300RT and I'm so there . . .

Oh, and fix the damn final drive while you're at it, please.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in