K1200gt - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Aug 1st, 2008, 3:39 am Thread Starter

Question K1200gt

Hi all Im new here so be gentle

I'm hoping you lot will be able to give me some assistance I am currently looking at purchasing the K1200GT as my next bike.

My question to you is regarding fuel range, how many miles can you get out of your beasts of burden before you have to empty your wallet. (i know this subject has been covered before, so I apologies for repeating)

All assistance will be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Aug 1st, 2008, 7:54 am

Re: K1200gt

I'm getting 43.5 mpg at sea level, was about 260 miles per tank. I did the neck drill and replaced the OEM gas cap with Pirate's billet job and get real close to 300 now.

Be sure to check out the GT forum at www.k-bikes.com

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Aug 1st, 2008, 8:41 am

I've gotten anywhere from 38 to 43 mpg depending on how strong my right wrist is.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #4 of 10 Old Aug 1st, 2008, 9:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorRad
Hi all Im new here so be gentle

I'm hoping you lot will be able to give me some assistance I am currently looking at purchasing the K1200GT as my next bike.

My question to you is regarding fuel range, how many miles can you get out of your beasts of burden before you have to empty your wallet. (i know this subject has been covered before, so I apologies for repeating)

All assistance will be appreciated
I posted a detailed mileage spreadsheet at:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13211

Go to post #40 for the latest spreadsheet with a full year's worth of data.

To summarize - I ride mostly a daily commute - 15 miles each way, half freeway, half stop 'n' go in the city; there are occasional longer trips that bump up the mileage considerably. The range for me is around 200 miles on a tank. If I ride gently, all freeway, I can get perhaps 240 miles.

In comparison, my old Honda Magna had much less range, perhaps 120 miles between fill-ups for the same commute. The extra range was a major selling feature for the GT. Who likes to fill up so frequently?

Some guys "drill" air holes into the plastic filler at the top of the fuel tank on their GTs. This lets them fill the tank higher and increases their range. There isn't much risk to it, but you have to remember to put in less fuel to leave expansion room if you aren't going to put some miles on it right away.
post #5 of 10 Old Aug 1st, 2008, 10:09 am
win

Garage

I even got my mileage down to 23, doing speeds over 125 mph. Avarage is:
Normal commuting: 40 mpg
Touring with highway: 41 - 42 mpg
Touring, no highway, no cities: 43 - 44 mpg

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92
post #6 of 10 Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 2:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorRad
My question to you is regarding fuel range, how many miles can you get out of your beasts of burden before you have to empty your wallet.
I'm also getting ~42 MPG and that's not conservative riding. I think the longest I've gone between fills is 230 miles, but then I shoot for around 200. I know I could push on a bit longer, but after 3 hours on the bike I'm ready for a stretch anyway.
post #7 of 10 Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 12:26 pm

Just did a ride from Sacramento to Klamath Falls, Oregon and Crater Lake and back. Combination of twisties and straight roads. I was riding with two buddies on Harleys ( a very casual ride!). On the straighter roads at 55 to 60 I got as high as 51 mpg. On the twisties at a casual pace i was around 46-48. This is based on the bikes computer. Up the revs and you drop the milage.
post #8 of 10 Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 2:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmc
Just did a ride from Sacramento to Klamath Falls, Oregon and Crater Lake and back. Combination of twisties and straight roads. I was riding with two buddies on Harleys ( a very casual ride!). On the straighter roads at 55 to 60 I got as high as 51 mpg. On the twisties at a casual pace i was around 46-48. This is based on the bikes computer. Up the revs and you drop the milage.
All true.

Gasoline formulation affects mileage. The gasoline formulations here in California yield lower mileage. Miles per gallon improves in other states. Temperature also affects mileage. You get less energy per gallon when the fuel is hot, unless the pump is specially calibrated.

One more thing: According to my spreadsheet (see above), the mileage reported by the bike's computer is high compared with actual mileage.
post #9 of 10 Old Aug 5th, 2008, 4:06 pm Thread Starter

Thank to all, who have helped me make up my mind. i have got a test ride booked for next week "quite a popular bike by the looks of it".
post #10 of 10 Old Aug 5th, 2008, 6:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
You get less energy per gallon when the fuel is hot, unless the pump is specially calibrated.
But heat also increases the density altitude so the bike needs less energy to punch through the air at a given speed. Example today it's 102 F here around 1400 feet. Which acording to my old E6B works out to about 4500 feet density altitude.

I fill my 06 GT around 240 miles. Been getting 43 mpg average actual.

Last edited by norriscooper; Aug 5th, 2008 at 6:19 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in