Things you didn't know about your GT ... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 1:16 pm Thread Starter

Things you didn't know about your GT ...

The North American Motoring (NAM) web site for Mini owners has a thread of a similar title, with many hundreds of posts. The new Mini has several on board computers with many functions that can be owner-programmed, and the owners manual is often unclear or out of date. This is a very interesting thread for us Mini owners.

I don't expect nearly as many posts here about the GT, but it could be informative.

I'll start: the handling of my GT is extremely sensitive to tire pressures. I started off using 42 psi rear, 40 psi front, on an '07 GT running Michelin Pilot Road II tires. I usually check pressures every few days, but on one occasion I went about 10 days without checking. Handling had become a bit vague - not a big change, but I noticed it. On checking, pressures had dropped 2 psi each, front and rear. Went back to 42R/40F, and the vague handling disappeared. Because of this, I've decided to run 43 psi rear, 41 psi front.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 5:41 pm

Re: Things you didn't know about your GT ...

Be careful when using a funnel to fill the oil tank. If the funnel has a long spout and you push down on the funnel when it's resting on the holder for the dipstick you can pop the holder loose and it falls down into the oil tank.
Took me a couple of hours to fish it back into position, then figure out a way to hold it up there while I pried the four fingers back up over the lip. Not fun.

Bruce Hodges
post #3 of 17 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 5:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce2000ltc
Be careful when using a funnel to fill the oil tank. If the funnel has a long spout and you push down on the funnel when it's resting on the holder for the dipstick you can pop the holder loose and it falls down into the oil tank.
Took me a couple of hours to fish it back into position, then figure out a way to hold it up there while I pried the four fingers back up over the lip. Not fun.

Bruce Hodges
I broke the catches off of the end of the fingers and just pull the basket when changing oil.

If y'all don't know about changing the quick disconnect on the gas tank (which is cheaper, flimsier and a more deadly accident waiting to happen) check out the Hall of Wisdom on www.k-bikes.com.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok

post #4 of 17 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 6:18 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

OK, I'll play.

To turn off the low beam headlight (halogen or HID):

With the engine running and the bike stopped:
Press & Hold the Turn Signal Cancel button 5 seconds
Press & Hold the Right Turn Signal Button for 5 seconds
The low beam shuts off.

To turn the Low Beam back on, simply Turn On or Flash the High Beam switch. Note that shutting off and restarting the bike will also turn the Low Beam on again as normal.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 17 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 6:54 pm

Be careful with the retractable "straps" attached to the side case lids.

The strap can easily become de-tached causing your painted lid will hit the ground! Always use your knee to support the lid when opening to avoid this pitfall.

Ask how I know!

Mike M

2007 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #6 of 17 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 8:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBMW

The strap can easily become de-tached causing your painted lid will hit the ground! Always use your knee to support the lid when opening to avoid this pitfall.

Ask how I know!
Easy fix! Just turn the attachment point on the strap around. It goes in hard, but will never accidentally come off.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #7 of 17 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 9:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Easy fix! Just turn the attachment point on the strap around. It goes in hard, but will never accidentally come off.

I sure wish I had read this prior to last week! It really sucked!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 17 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 11:30 pm

Talking Re: Things you didn't know about your GT ...

I rode Phantom Canyon road from Victor Colorado, to Canon City Colorado today. That road will give you buzzy balls, but Oh, what a beautiful ride.

Bouak

Jenks, OK
07 GT
99 LT
05 GS
post #9 of 17 Old Jul 29th, 2008, 7:18 am

While securing the bike in the back of the truck, for track day, I found that if the handle bar hold down strap is pressing in both directional switches and you turn on the ignition the horn will sound like an alarm until you turn it back off and correct the problem with the switches.

Jim
MSF Rider Coach

Haverhill, MA
66 R50/2
92 R100R
07 Silver KGT
post #10 of 17 Old Jul 29th, 2008, 9:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Brilliant! Thank you!
post #11 of 17 Old Jul 29th, 2008, 4:05 pm Thread Starter

Does your GT transmission "clunk" when shifting from neutral into 1st gear? I mostly ignore this, but at times it can be slightly embarrassing. Here's how to avoid it: pull in the clutch, ** wait about 4 seconds **, and then shift into 1st gear. No clunk.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
post #12 of 17 Old Jul 29th, 2008, 10:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_menton
Does your GT transmission "clunk" when shifting from neutral into 1st gear? I mostly ignore this, but at times it can be slightly embarrassing. Here's how to avoid it: pull in the clutch, ** wait about 4 seconds **, and then shift into 1st gear. No clunk.

- Bob
Sorry Bob, but it doesn't work on my late 2007 GT. It still clunks, whether I hold in the clutch for 4 seconds or not.
post #13 of 17 Old Jul 30th, 2008, 6:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
Sorry Bob, but it doesn't work on my late 2007 GT. It still clunks, whether I hold in the clutch for 4 seconds or not.
Well, dang! Sorry 'bout that. I did assume that if it worked on my GT, it'll work on all GTs. Guess not.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
post #14 of 17 Old Jul 31st, 2008, 2:56 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
Try holding the clutch in for a bit longer then.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #15 of 17 Old Jul 31st, 2008, 9:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBMW

Ask how I know!
Hard to do, but reverse the tag end where it attaches; change from the outside to inside. OR, zip-tie for added insurance.

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #16 of 17 Old Jul 31st, 2008, 9:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Try holding the clutch in for a bit longer then.
I have. Clutch-in time doesn't seem to make a difference.

Just so we're all on the same page, I'm talking about being at a stop light in neutral, then pulling the clutch in fully and holding it for a while, and then shifting from neutral into first with the clutch still fully in.

I have noticed that when the engine is just started after the GT is parked overnight in the garage, the transmission doesn't clunk for the first few shifts.
post #17 of 17 Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 2:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
Hard to do, but reverse the tag end where it attaches; change from the outside to inside. OR, zip-tie for added insurance.
Have you ever been able to detach it again after this reverse insertion? I looked at it but then decided not to. Being able to open the cases flat for packing/access is a feature I like. (I put all the stuff I need on the road in the smuggler or topcase.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in